Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Dec 05

Dec 05

PlayStation Plus December Preview: Free Tomb Raider: Underworld and Marvel Pinball, More

Grace Chen's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

PlayStation Plus: December 2011

With the holiday season in full effect, we’re giving PlayStation Plus subscribers extra discounts and free games. The total value of all this month’s offers total over $250 with about $50 being free games.

This month’s free content includes the PS3 full game Tomb Raider: Underworld and PSN game Marvel Pinball. The free PSone Classic of the month will be Spyro Year of the Dragon. If anyone is keeping track this is the third PSone Classic from the Spyro franchise offered in Plus and since it’s the holiday, we’ll bring back the first two again to offer the full collection in December. To finish out the free games, take your pick from free early access to minis like Orbit, or mini favorites like A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks! or Mad Blocker Alpha.

We always look to give Plus subscribers extra discounts on top of existing PlayStation Store sales and promotions and this month is no exception. The Holiday Collection Sale will feature some great deals on PS3 full game bundles, with Plus subscribers getting an extra discount on top of these deals. With PlayStation Store promotions happening throughout the year, a Plus subscription always comes in handy. Check out the full list of discounts on titles like Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, Renegade Ops, Darksiders and more; and watch for more details on the Holiday Collection sale soon.

New PS3 full games releasing on PlayStation Store also means new Full Game Trials for Plus subscribers. Your access to sample this ever-growing library of titles gets even better with titles like Dragon Age II, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, and Alice: Madness Returns hitting this month.

Check the full list below and remember these are expected games and discounts for Plus. Some content and/or release dates outlined may change. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, or continue the discussion on the PlayStation Community forums in the Official PlayStation Plus Update thread.

PlayStation Plus: December 2011

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Click here to purchase your subscription today!

PS3 Full Game: Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3 Full Game) – 12/6
Carnival Island – 12/20
Motorstorm Apocalypse – 12/20
NCAA Football 12 – 12/20
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands – 12/20
Sports Champions – 12/20
Media: Qore Episode 43 – December – 12/6
Discounted PSN Games: Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1 and 2 (Bundle) – 80% off – 12/6
Beat Hazard Ultra – 50% off – 12/13
Marvel Pinball: Fantastic Four (Add-on) – 50% off – 12/13
Exclusive Themes and Avatars: I am Alive Dynamic Theme – 12/6
Exclusive Games: Orbit (Early Access, Exclusive) – 12/6

Add Your Own

NintendoNaut said:

December 5th, 12:36 pm

Didn’t we already have Spyro 1&2 as rewards this year? Ah, well still a good update.

Senjutsu_Dav said:

December 5th, 12:38 pm

LOL, so nice!!! Thank a lot, this update is really really hot for a cold december, haha.

In fact, I almost bought Tomb Raider Underworld in a gamestop since it was in special, I finally did not get the game, hesitating, but what do I see? Oh yeah, the same game for free this december, really cool! I think I already got the spyro games in another month for free from PS+, but there is so much more that I can’t argue at all, haha.

I will also surely buy FF6 but not before Christmas, I don’t have any free time right now, and for a while I think, sadly.

There IS a problem now… Too much good games to play for our limited time, lol. I remember when we were waiting for another good game on the PSX, then on the PS2 it had more games, and now we can’t even play them all, lol.

Or maybe it’s simply because we’re now adults with tons of stuff to do, when we were kids in the time of the PSX, lol. Anyway, PS+ is really nice, now we only lack the features from Playstation Share and a new firmware to change the look! ^_^

marlyt said:

December 5th, 12:39 pm

Does anyone need a Battlefield 3 online pass? If you will use it please let me know and I’ll send it to you.

zzamaro said:

December 5th, 12:40 pm

Well, what a luck. Of all PS3 DL full games we have, Sony had to choose the one that I already played :(

At least Marvel Pinball is new to me, but I am not a big fan of pinball :P

DaNTi3L said:

December 5th, 12:40 pm

glad i am a ps plus subscriber

DazeOfWar said:

December 5th, 12:40 pm

I enjoy my Plus membership but man this is the worst month ever for me. The free PSN games I already own and I don’t care for Spyro or the minis. I may pick up a few PSN games that are on sale but that’s still up in the air cause I already own most of those and the few I don’t not sure if I really want.

Oh well, I hope there is still more to come for Plus this month.

Tank_Baked said:

December 5th, 12:41 pm

This is the second month in a row I have to spend money to get anything out of plus . Too many things given that I already have . Probably won’t be renewing this ps plus train is running out of steam for me .

KwietStorm said:

December 5th, 12:41 pm

You can keep Spyro. Give me Die Hard Trilogy, MDK, Return Fire, Soul Blade, and Tenchu.

KidCommando said:

December 5th, 12:41 pm

Lookin good for December!

Why anyone is complaining about the content is beyond me. We are getting a full PS3 game and a PSN game that have never been offered before.

Every month you get a PSN game, this month we ALSO get a full PS3 game.

On some months we get more games (minis, classics) then the subscription minimum requires.

So far the repeat content is completely outweighed by the EXTRA content that goes beyond the subscription minimum requirements.

I will always have Plus because so far it does what it was advertised to do and then some. ….(besides taking the DLC ownership away)

5 o 5
^^^^^^

KidCommando said:

December 5th, 12:44 pm

Oh, is the new foliage on the front page because of the new game????

The Last of US

Pariah_Dark said:

December 5th, 12:46 pm

You know, I’ve come to a realization here.

It doesn’t matter WHAT they give you, people are going to ALWAYS whine and complain. I mean seriously, you have someone ( comment # 25, warrior_1979) complaining that he/she is going to microsoft JUST because they don’t like the xmb. Pathetic

Fellas, if you’re going to go, THEN GO. Stop whining and stop complaining and actually DO what you threaten you’re going to do.

FelonOnParole said:

December 5th, 12:50 pm

I bid to you farewell Playstation Plus. Month, after month, I never found any desirable content for adult-like gamers such as myself. All you would offer was childish free junk(minis), and discounts on games the majority of gamers already owned, or nobody over 29 would be even remotely interested in. I even suggested offering a discount on movie purchases from PSN, to make the subscription relevant to me, but yet you refused to listen. At this point, even if the PS+ program was completely revamped, and offered every single thing anyone could ask for, I still would not re-subscribe due to the fact you made me endure 15 long months of fustration and suffering.

To all you ** Proud PS+ Members** keep bending over.

avanfreak23 said:

December 5th, 12:50 pm

WOW cool, great update for PS Plus, really worth it PS Plus. Much better that others green companies. PlayStation rocks !!!

Just a suggestion, give a PS Plus one of those PS2 classics to give it a try

NateDtail91 said:

December 5th, 12:56 pm

Im excited for this update but i read something about darksiders. Is darksiders coming to PSN or did i miss read? Hope it comes to PSN that would be great if its part of the sale.

ReptileHand said:

December 5th, 12:56 pm

75% off Tales of Monkey Island bundle? It would be kinda nice to have those games for a low low price. Wait… that’s $5 right? For Tales of Monkey Island?! Consider me sold. It would’ve been nice to have Sonic EP 4 half off though. I’ll look into the “Sonic Holiday bundle” when it comes out though. Anyways great month! I won’t have to do that much spending on the PSN store after tomorrow because I’ll be getting the Batman skins pack and maybe Back to Karkand. Oh and Nightwing too.

Longshanks367 said:

December 5th, 1:00 pm

Months ago we were told on the forums. That plus will start offering Home items. Is that ever going to happen?

ZephLaeliash said:

December 5th, 1:02 pm

I’ve been a PSPlus member since launch, I’m fairly tight with money and don’t get to buy as much from the PS Store as I would like. That said, I’ve probably gotten my PSPlus cost back 5x over easy with the freebies, and discounts. I’m really not sure what some people feel like they were entitled to that makes them whine so much. No free $60 game every week for your $50 a year subscription I guess? Sorry that doesn’t work for you? But I’ve picked up a few great games at solid discounts, I’ve enjoyed free DLC for a lot of the games I own, and a lot of PSMinis and PSN games are a great way to kill an afternoon for free. Not to mention the Game Trials aren’t a bad way to try a game out without going through the cost and hassle of renting. And now on top of that a full Playstation 3 game at no cost? Maybe Underworld wasn’t the best of the recent Tomb Raider games, but I don’t see how anyone can complain about getting a free copy to play.

If all you ever like to play on your PS3 is one or two games, then its probably not for you. But for gamers who like variety, and like to be surprised once in awhile with something new that they might not have otherwise considered, it’s the best bang for your buck you can get.

phatmillips said:

December 5th, 1:05 pm

@Morgan Hero

Any way to can find out what’s in the “SONIC’S HOLIDAY BUNDLE” ?

that-acmilan-guy said:

December 5th, 1:05 pm

@Morgan and PS team

Thank you so much for December! I have some questions:

1: Are the listed PSN discounted games are the Holiday Collection? Or more discounts will come aside from that?
2: Please make all Greatest Hits games available on the PS3 via download.
3: I still need to sign in everytime if I want to post in the blog.

Grace Chen's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

December 5th, 2:00 pm

There will be additional details on the Holiday Collection sale, watch for it soon!

W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J said:

December 5th, 1:10 pm

I love how it says over $250 in savings, when I know they are factoring in Tomb Raider at $60 when I just bout it brand new for $5 last week, since I didn’t get a platinum on it the first time. This is a great deal for all the people who just got their PS3 for black Friday, but not for anyone who is even just a casual gamer. I own everything on that list already. I just hate when companies advertise things for more then what they really are. Yes it is a good deal, but it is NO-WHERE in the realm of a $250 savings, probably closer to $25 which isn’t a bad deal at all except half of those were already deals on the psn before.

Squirtbot said:

December 5th, 1:10 pm

This is the first time I’ve been upset by PS+…
I already own Marvel Pinball, It’s great and I’ve already bought all the add-ons…
What about the DLC for other games that you have bundled, can we get a discount on the DLC without the re-purchasing the entire game please?

It seems like you want me to not buy games new from a retail store / you want me to trade my games in, both ways seem counter productive to your sales.

warrior_1979 said:

December 5th, 1:12 pm

ya it seems they are just recycling mostly older deals as something new

DrAcoustic said:

December 5th, 1:14 pm

Not bad, but does the free list repeat itself? Seems like we’ve gotten some of the games before. Also, what happens to our cloud saves if our subscription runs out? Do they come back when we renew it?

NightRaven77 said:

December 5th, 1:15 pm

A question and a comment.

While some of the content fits the bill: the Spyros and minis, any word on a similar promotion to what the EU is doing with its “12 Gifts of Christmas”? I missed out on the Plus offerings during the Summer, and would love to be able to catch up with some Plus re-releases. It’d be great for the people who joined during the Jurassic Park promotion to catch some of the older Plus offerings.

On another note. You guys went from a Coming to Plus every two weeks to once a month, but only list the offering for the first two weeks. Please either go back to posting Coming to Plus every two weeks or put the whole month’s offerings in the monthly posting.

Thanks.

Grace Chen's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

December 13th, 5:49 pm

This post does in fact list out content for the whole month of Dec. Although there may be changes or additions as the month goes on.

YungShep said:

December 5th, 1:20 pm

@43, lol i TOTALLY AGREE MAN…ESPECIALLY THE WARM FUZZY FEELING PART, LOL

lbpmagician said:

December 5th, 1:21 pm

But I hated Tomb Raider: Underworld .o.

At least my roommate will enjoy the Spyro game.

Also, gives us the prices, not only the discount!

wwedx25 said:

December 5th, 1:22 pm

add my friend adidas222. He’s a hot girl looking to play with people

kivi95 said:

December 5th, 1:24 pm

25# Who the hell cares how the XMB looks?? As long as we can play games I’m happy. I mean is that not why we buy the consoles?To play games?

Squirtbot said:

December 5th, 1:26 pm

For example, I just re-bought Split/Second as a PSN digital release… now it’s offered with all the DLC?
ARGH… Should I just never buy anything or will you make deals on DLC for the games we own!

I can’t even think straight…. Im so mad!!!!!

Getting a few games I’d never buy normally for free is cool, but I’d rather have discounts on stuff I like.

Also, is Sonic so popular that the US doesn’t get him free this month. Really?

I now feel the frustration of past commenters whom I used to read and not understand their anger.
I get it now.

Squirtbot said:

December 5th, 1:27 pm

And get rid of that POP-UP window!!!!
It’s always advertising for the exact page I’m already viewing!!!!!

Cealix said:

December 5th, 1:30 pm

Glad to see Tomb Raider is on that list. I never finished the PC version because I got tired of the controls and didn’t want to buy a new controller for it.

jayrockslife said:

December 5th, 1:31 pm

This is great and all, but I’ve been a PS+ subscriber since day 1 and you’ve already given away the Spyro games at least twice in the past. Why not release some PS one classics that people would actually want to play and maybe give someone that incentive to subscribe. I’m talking games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal and more.. Ya know, the same games that made people go out and buy a PSone!!

Personally, i’d like to see more trials, but not for PS3 disc based games, i have GameFly for that. I’d like to see them for PSN exclusive games. Most don’t have demos and even though they are only $10-20, that’s a little too much money to spend on a game you may not like.

Also, what happened to the free DLC, Themes, and exclusive avatars. Everything we’ve been given is usually old stuff that most already own, or don’t even want. I’m probably going to re-subscribe for another year, mostly because i love the auto-downloads and cloud saves, but I hope the next year PS+ will start to release better content. W

JoeGazi said:

December 5th, 1:32 pm

The thing I love about PS+ is that even though I already own Tomb Raider: Underworld, I’m still so pumped for Marvel Pinball and all the Spyros (which I missed earlier this year). So awesome!

Nando_lavras said:

December 5th, 1:34 pm

Awesome update…. Tomb Raider and Motorstorm Apocalypse, what the price of motorstorm? There’s any estimate?

Thanks.

DJ-307 said:

December 5th, 1:40 pm

Wow! Tomb Raider: Underworld. That was a shocker. Can’t wait for more full PS3 games. How about PS2 Classics for free? Yay Spyro!

CrashSpyro said:

December 5th, 1:42 pm

The text above the list mentions a sale on Darksiders, but it’s not on PSN now nor is it on the list as coming. Is that actually coming to PSN or is that a typo?

bharken said:

December 5th, 1:44 pm

Wow wow wow!

Vortuminius said:

December 5th, 1:48 pm

Spyro is the BEST. However… I won’t be able to really take advantage of them being free because I already bought all three :P

(Spyro HD collection…. please gaming gods, let it happen someday)

ElSuicid0 said:

December 5th, 2:01 pm

Tried Plus for 3 months cause thought Oct had some good offerings but past 2 months have gone back to lackluster offerings. Just cause somethings on discount dosent mean I want to buy it and the full game trials arent worth the 3-4+hr DL for an hour of play to me.
The content offered is usually on stuff Ive already played/bought or have long forgotten about and had no interest in, in the 1st place. If they offered more discounts on newer content maybe Id stay.

warrior_1979 said:

December 5th, 2:04 pm

@89

i had ps plus for about a year and gave up on renewing it for the exact same reasons.

zech678 said:

December 5th, 2:12 pm

Nice update

Street_Killaz said:

December 5th, 2:13 pm

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Alice: Madness Returns

For sure getting those!!..

And will for sure have to try out Dragon Age!!

God i love being a plus member!

Mattotastic said:

December 5th, 2:14 pm

Awesome! I’m glad to get Tomb Raider for free.

And Morgan, you said earlier that there will be a total of 8 free titles this month and I only see 5, may I ask what the other 3 are?

morisato said:

December 5th, 2:17 pm

The europeans have a Awesome Deal Ontop of their regular content allowing new psn + users to get the back catalog they missed thruout the month of December is that something coming to The US?

KeefRiffards said:

December 5th, 2:19 pm

I know I am late on this, but VERONICA BELMONT IS LEAVING QORE!? Oh sweet jesus, I think I may cry. Where is she headed to? Anyone know? She is hands down one of the most beautiful women to walk this earth…..

OK, I am done. I shall go cry now…and yeah, Spryo was already given away. All three of them, and not too long ago in fact. I love PS+, and I love my PS3 way more than my dust catching XB, but things like this do seem a little wonky in retrospect. Oh well, thank you for the games none the less.

arneezy619 said:

December 5th, 2:21 pm

So you are having the three spyro games for free which was already free for ps plus subscribers early this year. I think you guys should give us the opportunity to vote for which games we would like for free in the upcoming updates. For example have a list of games you are possibly going to mark as free and we should vote on which one we would like. Just a suggestion.

Faenix1 said:

December 5th, 2:22 pm

Dang was hoping for a Crysis or a Dungeon Defenders sale. Lol

JERM7 said:

December 5th, 2:23 pm

I’ve been waiting for a Marvel Pinball deal, so this looks pretty good to me. Also, I LOLd at comment #77, wwedx25, “…He’s a hot girl…”

BaRReT_94 said:

December 5th, 2:28 pm

Awesome! D:
Definitely PS+ it’s a good investment

JMarlin said:

December 5th, 2:43 pm

I missed that RDR deal right before Thanksgiving when I went out of town, now I’m in town and am waiting for next week’s killer deal!