Bloodborne

PlayStation Plus December Preview: Free Tomb Raider: Underworld and Marvel Pinball, More

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Dec 05, 2011 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

PlayStation Plus: December 2011

With the holiday season in full effect, we’re giving PlayStation Plus subscribers extra discounts and free games. The total value of all this month’s offers total over $250 with about $50 being free games.

This month’s free content includes the PS3 full game Tomb Raider: Underworld and PSN game Marvel Pinball. The free PSone Classic of the month will be Spyro Year of the Dragon. If anyone is keeping track this is the third PSone Classic from the Spyro franchise offered in Plus and since it’s the holiday, we’ll bring back the first two again to offer the full collection in December. To finish out the free games, take your pick from free early access to minis like Orbit, or mini favorites like A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks! or Mad Blocker Alpha.

We always look to give Plus subscribers extra discounts on top of existing PlayStation Store sales and promotions and this month is no exception. The Holiday Collection Sale will feature some great deals on PS3 full game bundles, with Plus subscribers getting an extra discount on top of these deals. With PlayStation Store promotions happening throughout the year, a Plus subscription always comes in handy. Check out the full list of discounts on titles like Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, Renegade Ops, Darksiders and more; and watch for more details on the Holiday Collection sale soon.

New PS3 full games releasing on PlayStation Store also means new Full Game Trials for Plus subscribers. Your access to sample this ever-growing library of titles gets even better with titles like Dragon Age II, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, and Alice: Madness Returns hitting this month.

Check the full list below and remember these are expected games and discounts for Plus. Some content and/or release dates outlined may change. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, or continue the discussion on the PlayStation Community forums in the Official PlayStation Plus Update thread.

PlayStation Plus: December 2011

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Click here to purchase your subscription today!

PS3 Full Game: Tomb Raider: Underworld (PS3 Full Game) – 12/6
Carnival Island – 12/20
Motorstorm Apocalypse – 12/20
NCAA Football 12 – 12/20
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands – 12/20
Sports Champions – 12/20
Media: Qore Episode 43 – December – 12/6
Discounted PSN Games: Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1 and 2 (Bundle) – 80% off – 12/6
Beat Hazard Ultra – 50% off – 12/13
P.O.W. – Prisoners Of War- 20% off – 12/20
Discounted Add-Ons: Marvel Pinball: Captain America (Add-on) – 50% off – 12/13
Marvel Pinball: Fantastic Four (Add-on) – 50% off – 12/13
Exclusive Themes and Avatars: I am Alive Dynamic Theme – 12/6
Exclusive Games: Orbit (Early Access, Exclusive) – 12/6

+ favian on December 5th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

Is this deal for new plus members only? My membership lapsed

+ drunkinguys34 on December 5th, 2011 at 2:57 pm said:

nice sale but i dunno if i wanna join ps plus maybe a awesome beta like counter strike beta perhaps that’ll make me join

+ drunkinguys34 on December 5th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

101 yes its only for ps plus

+ Squall1979 on December 5th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

Whole bunch of titles I could care less about. I’ll keep my money.

+ station3fever on December 5th, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

stupid side bar pop up!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR reome it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

+ poweredbyzen on December 5th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

i love free stuff!
sooo good to be a PS+ member!
seeing more avatars with the gold plus logo -
good move people!

+ cart0onnightmare on December 5th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

STOP GIVING US THE SAME FREE PS1 GAMES WE ALREADY GOT 4 MONTHS AGO… seriously get it together Sony, ive been loyal since PS1 came out, im starting to lose faith. change the PS1 games to something NEW that we dont have. im sick of the recycled bull crap we get every month.

+ Trucidation on December 5th, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

and PS+ gets more recycled games again, what a surprise.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 5th, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

PS: would be nice to have PSP games for the PS3 (I dont need the HD graphics), I really wanna play Crisis Core but I got no PSP.. :(

+ Detective-E on December 5th, 2011 at 3:49 pm said:

we already have spyro from ps+

+ kdiep on December 5th, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

Do I get to keep what I’ve bought? I’m a bit unsure about your policies. I heard you lose all your freebies once your membership expires but I heard that is not true for purchases.

+ MarkakaJin on December 5th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

This pop-up here in PS Blog is kinda annoying. Anywho, can’t we get a different PS3 full game for free? I mean, Tomb Raider Underworld is great but how about something else? I’m pretty sure I got all the Spyro games. Nevertheless, free is free and I guess it’s good enough for me.

+ rockinjs864 on December 5th, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

Not bad not bad at all my only gripe is I would have liked to see the RDR bundle be under $20 for that I would have just threw it on my HDD for the heck of it knowing I probaly wont have time to play it anyway.Still all in all great update I will be looking out to see what other deals will be in the holiday collection

+ TopherQuin on December 5th, 2011 at 4:39 pm said:

Another awesome month for PS+. I’ve been wanting to play Marvel Pinball and I never finished Tomb Raider. Spyro is pretty much all I played on the PS One and now I can enjoy them again. This is why I love PS!

+ streetskater94 on December 5th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

please make the discounts available for one month

+ streetskater94 on December 5th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

instead of a week it would get more purchases

+ joelhaseo on December 5th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

Wow love this update , but the best part of playstation plus is the free games , and the discount prices , I am happy with this subscription is one of the best thins in the ps3. Am I ready to renovate again on summer because is an awesome service.

+ oZc-Gauss on December 5th, 2011 at 5:00 pm said:

BATTLEFIELD 3, CRYSIS 2 and DEAD ISLAND is for sale in the PSN EU …. When we could see this games in the PSN USA?? I have the money ready to buy!

+ guitarded77 on December 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm said:

@37
That is one bad Christmas tree… but thank’s I enjoyed it.

As for the update… I expected better for the holidays, but you get what you get. Hey, I still don’t have Pain yet, how about adding that one some month soon.

+ Joshey_boo on December 5th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

What the heck sony?? great deals for PS+ users but not for the ones without it. come on man we got a PS3 also we deserved at lease 1 free game or something.

+ Lt_pickel on December 5th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

Sony hope you reply why are you guys not doing nothing xbox’s new update comes out tommorow add more stuff for ps3 to make it 2x better .. let me tell you guys something if you add more stuff and and programs apps etc .. i would be more likely to pay every month .. please dont let xbox beat you please atleast try!!!

+ YagamiShinji on December 5th, 2011 at 5:56 pm said:

Any word about Alice Madness Returns’ price?

+ warrior_1979 on December 5th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

WOW… not a single comment from sony, guess they don’t care much about what their customers have to say.

+ x-TRON- on December 5th, 2011 at 6:05 pm said:

SPYRO! :D iloveuPSN<3

+ TigerClaws10 on December 5th, 2011 at 6:10 pm said:

hey guys add me

+ TigerClaws10 on December 5th, 2011 at 6:10 pm said:

hey guys add me ok

+ V130_1286 on December 5th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

My PS+ subscription will expire… well, March 2014. Hopefully there comes the next generation by then…

Too bad, i’ve got underworld already but still… PSN/PS+ IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS IN THIS WORLD OF GAMING…

KEEP IT UP YOU GUYS!

+ DjCircle on December 5th, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

When are you going to announce the release date for Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath and why do you keep putting back PS1 games you’ve already given out, I mean it does give the new joiners to PS Plus a chance to get it again but I feel some months I get ripped off and get nothing from it but the benefits of automatic trophy sync and saving my games, which only works every other day or so…

+ DeadKillersRevng on December 5th, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

I don’t know why lately there are so many people trolling on the blog, but well in my opinion this is a great update
Keep it up Sony!

+ V130_1286 on December 5th, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

AND I WILL DEFINITELY SUPPORT DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION IF YOU COULD ADD MORE TO FULL GAME SECTION…

+ Fruttyman on December 5th, 2011 at 6:59 pm said:

Amazing update!

+ driftersgonewild on December 5th, 2011 at 7:02 pm said:

Sony asks us to leave our comments and thoughs so this is just my input as im not trying to be a troll because I never complain but the full game trials should to be extended to atleast 24hrs from the time its played like the movie rentals on video unlimited.The 3-4 hour download not including update patches to only being able to play for an hour is absurd, especially with all these really cool game trails seems unfair. Im very satisfied with the service but I believe small things like this can be changed and make the diffrence. Sony asks for our opinions to better and improve PS+, I believe im speaking for alot of consumers that feel the same way.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on December 13th, 2011 at 6:23 pm said:

Well we certainly could not do a 24 hour time period for playing the trial. That would essentially be the whole game on a lot of them. And you can hold on to the Full game Trial from the time downloaded as long as you want; it’s just when you start playing, the 1 hour countdown begins.

+ TerraAshura on December 5th, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

Oh wow that’s a pretty sweet PS3 freebee right there. Also yay Spyro! Got the 3rd one ages ago and picked up the first in a sale awhile back. Finally going to be able to nab Ripto’s Rage, awwww yeah!

+ TerraAshura on December 5th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

@110 You don’t necessarily lose them, per se, you just can’t access them unless you are a PSN+ subscriber. So once my subscription expires in nine months, for example, I won’t be able to play them again until I become a subscriber again.

Purchases you can just play whenever regardless, though, yes.

+ Spacerac on December 5th, 2011 at 7:28 pm said:

What’s in the Sonic’s Holiday Bundle?

+ marlyt on December 5th, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

Dear Sony,
I bought my PS3 to play PS3 games, not to play PS1 games. I can go get a different system for that. There’s nothing nostalgic, in my opinion, about playing bad games with bad graphics and frustating control schemes. Anyway, I am jacked that I finally PIF my Vita bundled with Little Deviants and I get it a week early on 2-15 rather than 2-22. Please give us PS2 games rather than PS1. At least they are playable. Final Fantasy X in HD COME TO ME!!!!

PS Anyone want an online pass foe BF3?

+ ykcir30 on December 5th, 2011 at 7:45 pm said:

Always nice to see free games, especially ones you have gotten the chance to buy with not much money. PS+ is a great service, sadly too many complain about it.

+ Spacerac on December 5th, 2011 at 7:53 pm said:

@134 marlyt I don’t know what games you played, but it’s clear you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. I just played Crash Bandicoot 2, Klonoa, and Ape Escape YESTERDAY and they STILL hold up on all fronts.

+ rockinjs864 on December 5th, 2011 at 8:00 pm said:

@marlyt I sent you a message on the ps3 I will take the battlefield online from you please you can send me the code for it to the message I sent to you if you like

+ cable77 on December 5th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

I’m so glad that i am a psn plus subscriber. Thanks and keep up the good work Sony!

+ smiley12343 on December 5th, 2011 at 9:32 pm said:

great update love the free soft and great prices

+ QuantumMercury on December 5th, 2011 at 10:16 pm said:

Well, here is hoping the discounts on the Holiday Collection are worth it at least.

+ wocyob on December 5th, 2011 at 10:59 pm said:

nice cant wait to try tomb raider… thanks Sony!

+ darthcarnage3483 on December 5th, 2011 at 11:32 pm said:

I am trully greatful for PS+. However I have a question that I would love the dude in red to respond to. Why is it thay 80% of the free PSN games are games that most people have already bought many months to years ago. For example; RE4, Marvel Pinball, and many others. Does Sony look at their sale sheats and pick the most bought PSN games to offer for free to PS+ members at a later date. Why couldn’t you offer games that aree new. Not new as in AC:R or WWE 12, but new as in say MGS:HD collection or at least parts of it or MvsC3 or UMvsC 3? I just renewed my PS+ and if this continues and I keep getting offered free games that any true PSN or ps3 fan would have already bought then im afraid that I will decide to abandon PS= and I have a feeling that many others will join me.

+ gamepunk86 on December 6th, 2011 at 12:48 am said:

@38 oh you **** i saw that target ad and thought the same thing but i didn’t think i’d be able to get away with it plus i bought ps plus earlier in the month. but congrats to you for that im sure not many saw that.

+ rockinjs864 on December 6th, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

@143 oh plenty say it over in the CAG community and are now flipping them for $30

+ windsmere on December 6th, 2011 at 5:40 am said:

Okay since there isn’t any where else to complain here it goes. Where in the **** is North America’s Battlefield 3 Back to Karkand map pack and please don’t give us the usual putz bs and say it will be in the store update. Anyone with half a brain knows that Europe already have theirs. So…. where are ours? I think it would be pretty grimey to make us wait all day while everyone else gets a running go at them!

+ wolfpacleader86 on December 6th, 2011 at 6:08 am said:

A major question though(and one that’s kept me from getting Playstation Plus) is this:

If I sign up for Playstation Plus and for some reason money gets tight and I have to cancel, I won’t be able to keep the free games I get, will I?

+ Oisterboy on December 6th, 2011 at 7:02 am said:

Aweeeeeeesome update guys! I was kinda disappointed in last month (I’m not into betas and junk) but this more than makes up for it.

And those discounts…75% off Monkey Island huh? I might have to finally go for it!

+ EggySong85 on December 6th, 2011 at 7:07 am said:

Looks like I’ll have some great PSOne content to play on my Vita this month! (that’s right, I live in Japan!) boo ya