PS4-Watch_Dogs

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Stewart Gilray's Avatar + Posted by Stewart Gilray on Dec 07, 2011 // CEO, Just Add Water

Hey everyone, it’s that time AT LAST! I wanted to first thank you all for your patience, it’s been a long wait, but at the same time it’s been even longer for us. We’ve been working on Stranger’s Wrath, one way or another for around 15 months now. From the initial discussions, to actually starting work on the project true, to then getting it done!

As most of you may know we originally planned to release the game around Easter, to be able to do that we were to have started full development in September last year, but as it transpired, we didn’t actually start until April 2011, which gave us our hoped late Summer release; but we ended up spending another couple of months on it, so here we are DONE AND DUSTED for release.

As such I’m extremely pleased to announce that Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will release on December 27th in North America for $14.99. And we will be releasing worldwide! (all stores, except for the Far East/Russia/Ukraine and Portugal at this time).

We had planned on shipping with support for stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move and a few other little things, due to time limits we are not able to bring those features in this initial version. However we WILL be bringing them in an update in a couple months’ time, along with some other little extras we’ve got planned.

One of things we’ve been asked a lot over the past few months is if Stranger’s Wrath HD has a Platinum trophy, of course it does. This is a big game and can easily take at least 12+hrs to complete.

So what’s been updated in the HD version …

Characters

• All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
  • Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
  • Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
  • New female voices have been recorded for two characters.
  • Made Blisterz Booty unkillable.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Original Version (top) HD Version (bottom)

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Original Version (top) HD Version (bottom)

Environments

• All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
  • Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
  • A lot of environment now reflects in water where it didn’t before.
  • Many, many pipes and barrels were rounded.
  • New Easter Eggs added to the game.
  • Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.
  • Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble than seen in the FMV.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Original Version (top) HD Version (bottom)

Audio

• All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
  • Support for 5.1, Dolby Digitial and DTS.

Display

• Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, and in widescreen.
  • All menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
  • New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.

Difficulty

• All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
  • Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
  • In Easy mode:
    • Stranger has twice the health
    • Enemies have half the health and stamina
    • Enemies’ stamina recovers half as fast
  • In Normal Mode:
    • Stranger’s health and armour for later in the game have been re-balanced.
  • In Hard mode:
    • Stranger has a third less health.
    • Enemies stamina recovers a third quicker.

Unlockables

• 37 Trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum
  • 37 pieces of unlockable concept art
  • Five unlockable movies

Once again, thanks for waiting as long as you have, we certainly hope you’ll enjoy the game, and if the review scores we’re starting to get in are anything to go by, you will!

Happy holidays everyone!

PAGE 1 2

+ burningwind on December 7th, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

It does look a little different. Did the characters get haircuts?

+ zzamaro on December 7th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

Never played it before. The HD upgrade looks good. Another HD remaster that puts RE4 HD(worst HD remaster) in shame.

+ Trixstyle on December 7th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

720 hd you def can see the difference. this game was great on the o.g. xbox, can’t wait for this on psn. time to feel the wrath of this stranger….critter ammo, oh hook me up!!!

+ zzamaro on December 7th, 2011 at 8:40 am said:

Will it have discount for + members?

+ trapper12 on December 7th, 2011 at 8:40 am said:

This game looks great in HD. I’m so glad you guys brought this to PS3 since I’ve never played this Oddworld before. Can’t wait to pick it up and play it.

+ MARLLOW-X on December 7th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

I wish all HD re releases were handled with this amount of care. Looks great.

+ Rinaldus91 on December 7th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Can’t believe this is releasing before long-awaited games like Journey and Last Guardian. I know it’s just a re-master, but still. Anyways, it looks freaking amazing, and Just Add Water did a great job with the massive touch-up. I can’t wait to play, definite day one for me

+ jonathan3579 on December 7th, 2011 at 8:44 am said:

Finally, an HD remake that is well done and doesn’t look like [DELETED]! I’m looking at you, GoW Collection…

+ LilWayneSuckz on December 7th, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

For the love of all that is holy, everyone with a PS3 please buy this game on PSN. Just Add Water is making this remake as a PSN exclusive and I don’t want them to regret it.

And just for reference Eurogamer who hates everything gave the remake a 9/10

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

Ummm thanks sir :)

I don’t think we’ll regret it.

+ cubanB on December 7th, 2011 at 8:53 am said:

Is this still headed to Vita, and is there a release window for it?

+ BriarPatch512 on December 7th, 2011 at 8:54 am said:

SOLD! I’ve been awaiting this one since it was announced. At $14.99 this game is a real steal, I expected this one to be $19.99 easily. Thanks guys!

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

Thank you sir!

Sorry, it took so long.

+ Dark_Zankoku on December 7th, 2011 at 8:57 am said:

Hmm.. never played this game before but it has positive feedback, the graphics defiantly looks upgraded, and it even has a platinum trophy. Looks like i’m going to consider this one bought lol Capcom could learn from this >_>

+ TomHoang on December 7th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

The old OddWorld games are so nostalgic to me, but I never got to play this game because it was only on Xbox. I am looking forward to picking this up. And a Platinum Trophy, Thanks Just Add Water! You don’t know how much a small thing like this means to gamers like me :)

+ Shane_O on December 7th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

This looks super-sweet!!! I really wanted to play the game when it originally came out but I just didn’t have the funds, or time. This will be a day one purchase for me.

Thanks, J.A.W.!!!

+ Elvick_ on December 7th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

Are you still doing a PSVita version? I’d rather wait for that. Though if there’s a PS+ discount, then I’d probably buy it on PS3 too. xP

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Well I wouldn’t like to say, just yet ;-)

+ reson8er on December 7th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

Getting it the moment it hits the store. Thanks for working so hard and being so dedicated to the PS community. I can’t speak for everyone but know its appreciated.

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Why thank you sir :)

+ adolson on December 7th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Now THAT’S how you do an HD re-release!

+ poodude on December 7th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Well, I was wondering when we were gonna get a release date. Nice job guys, looks gorgeous!

+ xPREDICTIONx on December 7th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

Small fan of the series, Abe is not in this iteration correct?

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Hmmmmm not really, no.

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

BOOOM!

+ Kane22_ on December 7th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

does this game have new game+. if not im still getting it cant wait:)

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

Not sure what you mean about “new game +” do you mean PS+ Subscribers?

+ xPREDICTIONx on December 7th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

ah that’s too bad, I love that little dude… the older ones are just too out dated to play, I was hoping Abe was in this, game looks great.

+ GT-420 on December 7th, 2011 at 9:22 am said:

HD upgrade looks really well done. Waited this long, I will wait a bit longer until you release the upgraded version with Move controls.

+ blakseed on December 7th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

This looks great and the price is definitely right. Looking forward to this.

+ subadictos on December 7th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

Congratulations. This will be another perfect christmas gift for my children.

I hope you consider a discount for Plus members, of course.

+ DeafDude7 on December 7th, 2011 at 9:33 am said:

I loved Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath on Xbox execpt there was no english subtitle. Will Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD have english subtitle?

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:56 am said:

Yup, there’s also subtitles in Spanish and French if you so wish :)

+ lobotomies4free on December 7th, 2011 at 9:34 am said:

Thanks for the hard work guys. So excited for this

+ kongman15 on December 7th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

this will be on the vita right? so if i get it for ps3 off psn i can get it on the vita via download list?

+ Mister-Nep on December 7th, 2011 at 9:46 am said:

I remember on PSNation someone in Just Add Water said this was gonna be included in the Odd Box along with other Oddworld games. Is that still being planned?

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:56 am said:

That was me, and we will be, but not until we’ve release Munch’s Oddysee HD next year :)

+ DeathGazer on December 7th, 2011 at 9:54 am said:

Now this is a true HD remaster. The character models look insane!

I was planning on buying this for Vita, but I don’t think I can wait that long…

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:57 am said:

Yeah we need to get the VITA version done actually ;)

+ ElektroDragon on December 7th, 2011 at 10:03 am said:

The CEO of a game development company does not know what “new game+” means? *facepalm*

And did you have to miss Christmas by 2 days?

Oh well, I’m buying this anyway,.

+ Darewind on December 7th, 2011 at 10:19 am said:

Will there be a demo as the pc version released on steam about a year ago was an unplayable mess.I would like to try it out before I buy it.

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

I think that’s a little harsh to be honest, we spent the next 2 months fixing it up. Our only outstanding issue is with ATI graphics cards, and that is due to their terrible OpenGL Drivers.

Anyway, I think you should take a look at the various pieces of gameplay footage and indeed review scores to give you your decision.

Thanks for the comment though.

+ Link01 on December 7th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

You guys should pull a Motorstorm and encourage the one time pay Vita + PS3 version. I would like to play the game with Move and 3D as well. How long do you for see these updates? I understand it could be a good 3 – 6 months depending on resource dedication.

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

I’d love to be able to offer that, however we are a really small company and it is just not financially viable for us to do that.

Thanks for your comment.

+ Champloo4 on December 7th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

Wow – excellent price point for a full game experience. What a bargain, thank you!

Kind of funny that a map pack can also be $14.99 (I’m looking at you BF3: Karkand).

One thing is for sure – pricing on downloadable media, be it Add-On or Full Game, has zero consistency.

+ Link01 on December 7th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

BTW, there is a just invert Y option correct? This literally killed me from purchasing the Beyond Good & Evil HD.

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

Oh yeah…

And in Invert X for those that feel so inclined.

+ Zookey on December 7th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

PLEASE tell me this is a set up where we pay once and get both the Vita and PS3 versions and can share 1 save file between the two!!! Regardless, this game was epic on Xbox and now, on a controller I’m more familiar with and trophies and new purdy coat of paint I am way too excited!

+ Zookey on December 7th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

OK I saw your reply to 33–can you guys atleast let us know if the save file will carry over? Also, is there a chance of even giving those of us who buy the PS3 version a Vita discount? As in, pay 15 for PS3 then an additional 10 for Vita–I’d have gladly paid 25 bucks for 1 version of Stranger’s Wrath so that’ rock pretty hard!

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

Yes, our goal is that you can cloud share your save back and forth between the two versions :)

+ KwietStorm on December 7th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

A date finally gets announced, and now I have to choose between this and Trine 2.

+ ABRipperXX on December 7th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I never got to play it when it first came out. I definitely will get it. Thanks for all the hard work guys! and a great price too.

+ kabirdsall14 on December 7th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

Well, until December 27th, I will be playing as Stranger on Little Big Planet 2!

Can’t wait for this, J.A.W. , it is very obvious on how hard you guys worked on this, so congrats! and keep up the hard work!

+ thebgj on December 7th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

No news on the price?

+ mastorofpuppetz on December 7th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

@41, read the article before posting, he clearly states the price…

This is how to properly fo a HD remake, Re4 should be ashamed. Never played the first one cause it was on the dreaded xbox. May get this.

+ KidCommando on December 7th, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

wow, that is a mighty fine HD upgrade!

+ YungShep on December 7th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

OddWorld in 3D U SAY………. :) SIGN ME UP. im one of those guys :) cant wait to see it

+ Eternal-CMO on December 7th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

@Stewart Gilray I believe what Kane22 was referring to with New Game + was a game mode similar to what’s been included in Arkham City. Basically, when you complete the main story you’re able to start a new game in New Game + mode and it allows you to have all your upgrades from the initial game intact. Also, I believe the enemies become more difficult with new tactics.

It’s a great method for increasing replay value with single player games, IMO.

+ diegercvb on December 7th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

back to karkand a week early then this i am LOVING PSN right now :)

+ SpiritThief on December 7th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

I’ve kept 20 bucks in my PS wallet for the entire year waiting for this.

+ Neil on December 7th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

Will buy.

+ Street_Killaz on December 7th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

for sure getting this!!!

This game looks sick!!

+ bigz512 on December 7th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

I’m waiting to buy this on PSVita. I’d rather have stranger in my pocket (which sounds really messed up out of context).

any news on the release date for PSVita?

and about how big is this game (in terms if gb)

PAGE 1 2