Dec 07

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Stewart Gilray's Avatar Posted by Stewart Gilray on Dec 07, 2011 // CEO, Just Add Water

Hey everyone, it’s that time AT LAST! I wanted to first thank you all for your patience, it’s been a long wait, but at the same time it’s been even longer for us. We’ve been working on Stranger’s Wrath, one way or another for around 15 months now. From the initial discussions, to actually starting work on the project true, to then getting it done!

As most of you may know we originally planned to release the game around Easter, to be able to do that we were to have started full development in September last year, but as it transpired, we didn’t actually start until April 2011, which gave us our hoped late Summer release; but we ended up spending another couple of months on it, so here we are DONE AND DUSTED for release.

As such I’m extremely pleased to announce that Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will release on December 27th in North America for $14.99. And we will be releasing worldwide! (all stores, except for the Far East/Russia/Ukraine and Portugal at this time).

We had planned on shipping with support for stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move and a few other little things, due to time limits we are not able to bring those features in this initial version. However we WILL be bringing them in an update in a couple months’ time, along with some other little extras we’ve got planned.

One of things we’ve been asked a lot over the past few months is if Stranger’s Wrath HD has a Platinum trophy, of course it does. This is a big game and can easily take at least 12+hrs to complete.

So what’s been updated in the HD version …

• All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
  • Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
  • Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
  • New female voices have been recorded for two characters.
  • Made Blisterz Booty unkillable.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Original Version (top) HD Version (bottom)

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Original Version (top) HD Version (bottom)

• All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
  • Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
  • A lot of environment now reflects in water where it didn’t before.
  • Many, many pipes and barrels were rounded.
  • New Easter Eggs added to the game.
  • Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.
  • Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble than seen in the FMV.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Comes to PSN December 27th

Original Version (top) HD Version (bottom)

• All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
  • Support for 5.1, Dolby Digitial and DTS.

• Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, and in widescreen.
  • All menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
  • New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.

• All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
  • Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
  • In Easy mode:
    • Stranger has twice the health
    • Enemies have half the health and stamina
    • Enemies’ stamina recovers half as fast
  • In Normal Mode:
    • Stranger’s health and armour for later in the game have been re-balanced.
  • In Hard mode:
    • Stranger has a third less health.
    • Enemies stamina recovers a third quicker.

• 37 Trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum
  • 37 pieces of unlockable concept art
  • Five unlockable movies

Once again, thanks for waiting as long as you have, we certainly hope you’ll enjoy the game, and if the review scores we’re starting to get in are anything to go by, you will!

Happy holidays everyone!

PAGE 1 2

+ Zookey on December 7th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

PLEASE tell me this is a set up where we pay once and get both the Vita and PS3 versions and can share 1 save file between the two!!! Regardless, this game was epic on Xbox and now, on a controller I’m more familiar with and trophies and new purdy coat of paint I am way too excited!

+ Zookey on December 7th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

OK I saw your reply to 33–can you guys atleast let us know if the save file will carry over? Also, is there a chance of even giving those of us who buy the PS3 version a Vita discount? As in, pay 15 for PS3 then an additional 10 for Vita–I’d have gladly paid 25 bucks for 1 version of Stranger’s Wrath so that’ rock pretty hard!

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

Yes, our goal is that you can cloud share your save back and forth between the two versions :)

+ KwietStorm on December 7th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

A date finally gets announced, and now I have to choose between this and Trine 2.

+ ABRipperXX on December 7th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I never got to play it when it first came out. I definitely will get it. Thanks for all the hard work guys! and a great price too.

+ kabirdsall14 on December 7th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

Well, until December 27th, I will be playing as Stranger on Little Big Planet 2!

Can’t wait for this, J.A.W. , it is very obvious on how hard you guys worked on this, so congrats! and keep up the hard work!

+ thebgj on December 7th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

No news on the price?

+ mastorofpuppetz on December 7th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

@41, read the article before posting, he clearly states the price…

This is how to properly fo a HD remake, Re4 should be ashamed. Never played the first one cause it was on the dreaded xbox. May get this.

+ KidCommando on December 7th, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

wow, that is a mighty fine HD upgrade!

+ YungShep on December 7th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

OddWorld in 3D U SAY………. :) SIGN ME UP. im one of those guys :) cant wait to see it

+ diegercvb on December 7th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

back to karkand a week early then this i am LOVING PSN right now :)

+ Eternal-CMO on December 7th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

@Stewart Gilray I believe what Kane22 was referring to with New Game + was a game mode similar to what’s been included in Arkham City. Basically, when you complete the main story you’re able to start a new game in New Game + mode and it allows you to have all your upgrades from the initial game intact. Also, I believe the enemies become more difficult with new tactics.

It’s a great method for increasing replay value with single player games, IMO.

+ SpiritThief on December 7th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

I’ve kept 20 bucks in my PS wallet for the entire year waiting for this.

+ Neil on December 7th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

Will buy.

+ Street_Killaz on December 7th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

for sure getting this!!!

This game looks sick!!

+ bigz512 on December 7th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

I’m waiting to buy this on PSVita. I’d rather have stranger in my pocket (which sounds really messed up out of context).

any news on the release date for PSVita?

and about how big is this game (in terms if gb)

+ ZAANOS on December 7th, 2011 at 6:02 pm said:

The only game on the original XBOX I wanted to play. I surely appreciate you taking the time to HD it. Day One for me.

+ MrGamerz123 on December 7th, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

Why can’t Socom get an HD makeover? It will make just as good of a remake as any other game. Vote yes for Socom 1 HD at http://www.TheRealSocom.com/vote and help make this remake a reality! BTW this game also looks good, and the excellent visual upgrade definetly caught my attention! Unlike Capcom’s lazy attemp at “HD” with RE4. It downright pisses me off that Capcom thinks they can just give their loyal fans the bare-minimum and expect to get away with it. While other companies (such as Just Add Water) work their [DELETED] off to release quality experiences to their fans, but Capcom on the other hand just sits back and milks off of the success of their previous games, just like what they did with Marvel vs Capcom 3. The game was completely bare-bones and contained only the bare-minimum of what fans expected. Capcom you used to be cool>:(

+ Digital-Big-Boss on December 7th, 2011 at 7:32 pm said:

great job, I’m asking for a 20 dollar PSN card for Christmas.

+ Morgonzo on December 7th, 2011 at 7:37 pm said:

This makes me so happy I could cry. I loved this game and have been craving a return to Oddworld.

Outstanding!!! Thanks to all involved.

And to anyone who hasn’t stepped into Stranger’s shoes yet… you are in for a real treat.

+ Morgonzo on December 7th, 2011 at 8:00 pm said:

To all the folks that wanna play this game on the PSVita….

I can see how you might crave one of the Oddworld platformers in a compact format. But you owe it to yourselves to experience Stranger’s epic adventure in in full widescreen hangin’ on your wall HDTV.

I mean look at all the love they’re giving this game and 3D sometime in the future…drooolll.

I’m not convinced you can translate that onto a small screen.

+ Hooligantuan on December 7th, 2011 at 8:18 pm said:

In a row?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 8th, 2011 at 3:06 am said:

In a row? ah you mean Progress trophies, no not all are progress, perhaps 20 of them are.

+ Da-bone-man on December 7th, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

@ Comment 21.
First of all we can assume that this is no new game + considering the reaction.
Secondly, New Game + has become fairly common in RPG like games, it is when, after a player has beaten the game, he is given the option to restart the game, however, when the player restarts he will retain all of his items and progress from the previous game, but, all of the enemies and challenges will have increased in difficulty significantly. Hop this helped:)

+ gothicknight67 on December 7th, 2011 at 11:28 pm said:

Alright Oddworld has always been a favorite,played them all cant cant wait, Lorne and sherry where and always been faves plzz make new installments

+ gothicknight67 on December 7th, 2011 at 11:30 pm said:

Is this for ps3 and vista

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 8th, 2011 at 3:05 am said:

For those asking about “new game+” we’d not heard that phrase here in our UK offices we call it “Extra game” here…

With Stranger, it’s not possible to do that type of feature, I can’t tell you why, but it will become apparent when you play the game ;)

+ dimy93 on December 8th, 2011 at 3:07 am said:

As soon as this hit Vita’s PSN I’ll buy it!!!
I haven’t actually played previous installments of the game but the graphics and the idea of the game are sick.
Also it’s one of the first good adventures for the Vita and this is my favourite type of game

+ EggySong85 on December 8th, 2011 at 5:31 am said:

The Move/3D update in a few months already has me really excited, but I also really, really hope one of those “extras” mentioned for the update is Vita cross-compatibility! ;) ;) ;). Having the ability to transfer my save and take the game with me to my girlfriends house on the weekends would be spectacular! I get my Vita in less than 2 weeks!!! I haven’t felt this excited for a new system for a long time.

+ brake_me_down on December 8th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

for Stewart Gilray: you say the game have french and spanish subtitles… have the game italian subtitles?

+ murphdawg1 on December 9th, 2011 at 7:30 am said:

Oddworld really? Socom 2 HD is the #1 requested remake on the blogshare and games like Oddworld(which probably wasn’t even top 10) get a remake before Socom does? Come on Sony you can do better than this.

+ Welmosca on December 9th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

First Person=NO Buy…come on we Want the old oddworld’s I mean the real oddworld’s

+ Inuyasha810 on December 11th, 2011 at 10:31 pm said:

I am so buying this the day it comes out. I can’t believe how amazing the graphical improvements are. I have been super psyched about getting this game as soon as I first heard news of it. This was pretty much the one game I missed out on because I didn’t have an Xbox that I always wanted to play.

+ Fenrix9 on December 13th, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

@ 65: “we” should be used a little more carefully than the way you used it. If you don’t like it, go somewhere else. Trolls are lame.

This is gonna be so GREAT! This was definitely my favorite game for the original Xbox, I used to play it very often when I went over to my cousin’s (it was his system). This is a really cool thing you guys are doing, and you’re doing it well. I may have to consider buying a Vita, I’m hearing and seeing good things about it.

My only concerns are the controls (which I’m sure will be fine) and the file size. Is it possible for you to release the size of the file, Stewart?

+ Fenrix9 on December 18th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Hey, woah, just noticed something. In the images showing Stranger’s crossbow with the Thudslugs and the Zapflies, the low-res shot shows an infinite amount of Zapflies but the high-res shot show only 8. Are the Zapflies no longer infinite?

+ SOCOM_1_LOVER on December 21st, 2011 at 4:14 am said:

MAKE A SOCOM TRILOGY in HD for the love of god!!!!!!!

+ Khadyne on December 23rd, 2011 at 7:30 pm said:

FINALLY!!!!!! I can’t stress enough how happy I am that this game is here, this is the game that got me into gaming five years ago, I was watching my husband playing it and totally love it, and also into studying Game Design at college. I can’t wait for Dec 27, the changes are amazing, everything looks perfect. I even got the PS3 just because this game was going to be only here, sorry for the Xbox360 folks that want to play this game too, but well I have got fun from PS3 too playing Dark Soul.
Great Job to the team, Fantastic!!!

+ Khadyne on December 23rd, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

I don’t know why somebody above is surprised that the game is in first person, I remember the game having both first and third person shooter, anyway.

+ beansmyname on December 27th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

OMG! This is hands-down my favorite game of all time. Oddworld Inhabitants put everything together in one nice package: Gameplay, graphics, sound design, music and story. I’m skeptical of HD remakes in general since most just turn out to be “now it doesn’t look crappy on your TV when scaled up,” but seeing what JAW has done with this is inspiring.

If only all HD remakes had this much care and attention put into them. Going to grab it right now!

+ Dr_Gamma on December 31st, 2011 at 4:47 am said:

This is one of my favorite games of all time, and I’m looking forward to it.

…but why hasn’t it come out in Portugal yet? I bought PSN points just to buy it, and now I find out that it’s not even out. What’s the issue, and how soon can we expect it?

+ D-Squad3 on January 1st, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

I’m getting this really soon, please keep it PSN exclusive. And I can’t wait for the Move support!

+ DarktaxFA on January 2nd, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

i cant wait for this game to come out for the vita would really like to know how big file size its gonna be and can you buy it in store so you don’t need to download it

+ Dark_Zankoku on December 7th, 2011 at 8:57 am said:

Hmm.. never played this game before but it has positive feedback, the graphics defiantly looks upgraded, and it even has a platinum trophy. Looks like i’m going to consider this one bought lol Capcom could learn from this >_>

+ TomHoang on December 7th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

The old OddWorld games are so nostalgic to me, but I never got to play this game because it was only on Xbox. I am looking forward to picking this up. And a Platinum Trophy, Thanks Just Add Water! You don’t know how much a small thing like this means to gamers like me :)

+ Shane_O on December 7th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

This looks super-sweet!!! I really wanted to play the game when it originally came out but I just didn’t have the funds, or time. This will be a day one purchase for me.

Thanks, J.A.W.!!!

+ Elvick_ on December 7th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

Are you still doing a PSVita version? I’d rather wait for that. Though if there’s a PS+ discount, then I’d probably buy it on PS3 too. xP

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Well I wouldn’t like to say, just yet ;-)

+ reson8er on December 7th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

Getting it the moment it hits the store. Thanks for working so hard and being so dedicated to the PS community. I can’t speak for everyone but know its appreciated.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Why thank you sir :)

+ burningwind on December 7th, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

It does look a little different. Did the characters get haircuts?

+ xPREDICTIONx on December 7th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

Small fan of the series, Abe is not in this iteration correct?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 7th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Hmmmmm not really, no.

+ adolson on December 7th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Now THAT’S how you do an HD re-release!

+ zzamaro on December 7th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

Never played it before. The HD upgrade looks good. Another HD remaster that puts RE4 HD(worst HD remaster) in shame.

+ Trixstyle on December 7th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

720 hd you def can see the difference. this game was great on the o.g. xbox, can’t wait for this on psn. time to feel the wrath of this stranger….critter ammo, oh hook me up!!!

PAGE 1 2