LittleBigPlanet 3

Naughty Dog Reveals The Last of Us at 2011 VGAs

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Dec 10, 2011 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us for PS3

Videos have been flying around all week about a new PS3 exclusive called The Last of Us. It was revealed at this year’s VGAs and we’re very excited to confirm that The Last of Us is developed by Naughty Dog Inc, the creators behind the UNCHARTED, Jak and Daxter, and Crash Bandicoot series. Neil Druckmann, Creative director and Bruce Straley, Game Director chime in below to divulge what The Last of Us is all about.

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven tale about a modern plague decimating mankind. Nature encroaches upon civilization, forcing remaining survivors to kill for food, weapons and whatever they can find. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

We hope this teaser trailer has whet your appetite. We’re excited we can finally begin to peel back the curtain on The Last of Us and discuss how we’ve been working as a two team studio. For further information about The Last of Us, the PlayStation.Blog will be the first place to hear about this exciting new title from some of the industry’s most talented game designers.

232 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ Kchow23 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:05 pm said:

Awesome!!! Can’t wait to hear more about it!

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on December 10th, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

off topic bring back the Crash Bandicoot series or redo them in hd but on topic Joel looks like a older ver of drake

+ ManaKnight on December 10th, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

Naughty Dog developing this was a big time surprise. Regardless, cannot wait to play it.

+ washimul on December 10th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

easily game of the year whenever it releases. the game looks a generation ahead of anything on other consoles like x360/wii

+ Surfaced on December 10th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

Never would’ve guessed ND was behind this!

A couple urgent questions I think everyone’s dying to have asked:

-Is Amy Hennig writing?

-Was that Ellen Page in your trailer?

Thanks, can’t wait to become The Last of Us!

+ Cyris on December 10th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

This will be the greatest game of all time. Until ND makes another game, of course.

+ GRIM__REAFER on December 10th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

Looked nice on the VGAs

+ Tarheel_Mark on December 10th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

In the words of every cheesy disaster move: My God…

+ mew_frenger on December 10th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

ace.
looks amazing. and so happy to see a new IP.

this is why i love PS3.

+ sdmentor on December 10th, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

CANT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Nintendo451 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

The most exciting thing so far is that the man and the girl aren’t related. It shows the emotional bond they’ve created without the blood relation. Great work guys!

+ jayrockslife on December 10th, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

Trailer looked awesome! Can’t wait for more details!
Naughty Dog never lets us down!

+ Sharingan_itachi on December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

Consider it bought. As soon as Naughty Dog logo came up, I already had bought it.

+ fadi002 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

What year is it coming out in?

+ mistasmooth25 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

Looks pretty cool.

+ dreww3 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

Naughty Dog you are amazing. I can not wait to buy this game.

+ deltakong on December 10th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

Looks awesome, but please, no third person. I don’t want uncharted w/ zombies.

+ AstraIs on December 10th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

When will it be released?

+ StormTimber on December 10th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

THIS LOOKS FREAKING AWESOME!

+ hustleman24 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

From that trailer it got that res4 vibe which is a plus too me. Last
of us looks cool.

+ Ninja8827 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:13 pm said:

This looks amazing i cant wait i cant believe naughty dogs making this there an amazing company my second favorite (behind Insomniac of course) cant wait,

another great PS3 exclusive

+ Pesico on December 10th, 2011 at 7:13 pm said:

My jaw dropped as soon as I saw Naughty Dog making this game. Really cool trailer. Can’t wait to hear more.

Also very cool to see Naughty Dog having two teams now. Can’t get enough games from you guys. Oh and please answer comment #5 by Surfaced. That really is the two most important questions.

+ Permafry_42 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:13 pm said:

I’m sorry, but i have no interest in yet ANOTHER survival horror game. If Naughty Dog is going to be busy with uncharted 4, helping with Uncharted vita, and now the last of us, who’s going to develop Jak 4? And don’t say it’s a rumor; literally every other collection has been followed by a ps3 or psp continuation of the series.

+ LordRaoh on December 10th, 2011 at 7:14 pm said:

WOW, Naughty Dog stays busy. Other developers should be ashamed of themselves. ND manages to pump out 3 back to back stunning and enjoyable games and is already in the thick of it with a new IP while other developers cant even deliver on promises and workable features or gameplay.

I can’t wait to hear more from Naughty Dog about The Last of Us.

I really want to hear more about the story behind this game.

+ Surfaced on December 10th, 2011 at 7:14 pm said:

@17
Why not third person ?

UNCHARTED has better descriptors. It’s a shooter and a platformer. Those are the main mechanics.

The Last of Us will be a surival/action game.

See the difference? Besides, if it were first person, some less-informed people would struggle to see how it’s different from Dead Island.

+ tpayne80 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:14 pm said:

Wow didnt see that coming.I cant wait :D but may i ask with 2 teams are u going to be able to make u games at once or just work on one and then show off the other one?

+ Jackal888 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:15 pm said:

Great trailer, glad it is a plague and not zombies. I wonder what mechanics it will have? Platformer? Shooter? I await info.

+ LandmineSalesman on December 10th, 2011 at 7:15 pm said:

Interesting concept, I hope Naughty Dog go back to the open world roots they established with Jak 3 (phenomenal game). I loved Uncharted 3 but some of the game-play mechanics that required trial and error were tedious and hurt the game. I would love to see them take some inspiration from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for this game.

+ Surfaced on December 10th, 2011 at 7:16 pm said:

@23

Jak wouldn’t be done by Uncharted for a while. The genre is out of popularity; Sony won’t let one of their AAA studios take it on as a main project.

Remember R&C All 4 One? Insomniac’s east coast studio did that; the main Californian team was put on Resistance 3, a first-person shooter.

+ bigz512 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

Does this mean there wont be another Uncharted game? If that’s the case, I’m gonna go cut myself :(

+ TomHoang on December 10th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

I literally got chills when I saw the Naughty Dog logo at the beginning of the trailer at the VGA’s. Great job Naughty Dog!

+ Flyers108 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

Looks like an I Am Legend game, but I can’t wait. I’m interested in the story of what happened in Naughty Dog’s game. The graphics are also absolutely gorgeous as always.

+ SolidSnakeSSx on December 10th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

I know that I probably won’t get an answer for this, but is Ellie the main character? A lot of people (including myself) are hoping that she is.

+ Destiny89 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

Excited i am

+ pwnallofu on December 10th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

release date please!!

+ washimul on December 10th, 2011 at 7:19 pm said:

so we can finally say that VALVE are dead
that garbage looking game L4D 1 and 2 got 8/9 from many sites
I am sure LOU will score 99 at meta

@permafry ….we are very much interested to see a survival horror game since UC1 had awesome moments
that gave the vibe of that genre. With LOU it is game over for CAPCOM/VALVE and numerous other developers
who have gotten away with crap games like L4D/resident evil…games with no story/substance or anything. It is
ND who will show the world that the genre can be revamped

+ starwarstrevor on December 10th, 2011 at 7:19 pm said:

Extremely excited cannot wait but pls tell us a release date!

+ Arcadian_Rebel on December 10th, 2011 at 7:19 pm said:

Awesome trailer! Can’t wait.

+ TomHoang on December 10th, 2011 at 7:19 pm said:

Anyone else think that the girl looks exactly like Ellen Page?

+ EvoAnubis on December 10th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

Just take my money now, Naughty Dog!!!!

+ Shin-Ra on December 10th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

WOAH. PS4 games already here ladies and gents!

+ Stoffinator on December 10th, 2011 at 7:22 pm said:

This was the only good thing at the VGA. Now I have to go and scrub myself for watching them. Congrats ND, game looks awesome.

+ washimul on December 10th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

@shin-Ra

indeed LOL . PS3 games like UC3/KZ3/GOW3 looked like PS4 games compared to gear3/wii games .
This one looks even a generation ahead of UC3

+ LandmineSalesman on December 10th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

“so we can finally say that VALVE are dead”

Valve is one of the best companies in business. I really wouldn’t compare the Left 4 Dead series with this, L4D was a 4 or 8 player co-op game (the best I have played). This looks like a single player take on the genre.

+ trapper12 on December 10th, 2011 at 7:25 pm said:

This game looks amazing! I just have one question though, since the trailer is running on the PS3 in real time, can we expect the gameplay to look like the graphics in game?

P.S. Naughty Dog is the greatest!!!

+ memortally on December 10th, 2011 at 7:25 pm said:

Ellen Page in Video Game ? And that game made by Legendary Developer Naughty Dog ?

HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE

Not: Tired of zombies in games but i am sure this will comes up so different MAN ND in it how can be bad ?

ELLEN PAGE ELLEN PAGE ELLEN PAGE ELLEN PAGE ELLEN PAGE ELLEN PAGE

+ washimul on December 10th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

@landmine
VALVE are dead just like JOHN CARMACK.
ever played there garbage game L4D — a game which looks even worse than PS1 games???
L4D had no co-op since a game with 2k poly charcters can have 200 people on screen too. No VALVE game has any story or anything
LOU will outsell and outscore all VALVE games ever released

+ Psicocrusher on December 10th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

I am excited! You are one of the best studios in the world! Can’t wait to see more!

+ Cripshay on December 10th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

@Evan Wells
Please tell us more about your second team/studio.
Are they in the same building?
How big is Naughty Dog now (how man men/women overall)
How big is each team

Please tell us more :)

+ x-lBlAcK-iCe-x on December 10th, 2011 at 7:27 pm said:

It iz kinda like dat movie I am legend

PAGE 1 2 3 5