No Man's Sky

ModNation Racers: Road Trip – New Racing Features

Mark Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Mark Wilson on Dec 12, 2011 // Community Specialist, San Diego Studios

Every so often, the team at San Diego Studio allow me up from the basement, favorite red stapler in hand, to take a peek at the upcoming week’s new features. I’ve learned to “extend” my gameplay sessions with “coincidental” occurrences of…

1. Free highly-caffeinated energy drinks and donuts in the break room.
  2. A sudden rash of car alarms blaring from the parking lot like a jet plane just grazed the roof top.
  3. A bogus announcement over the company P.A. system that Kevin Butler has arrived on campus.

These events usually buy me an additional hour or so with the game. This is a purely selfish endeavor as it really only takes a few minutes with the game to see and understand the brilliant, creative, and subtle, yet powerful features of ModNation Racers: Road Trip. I have yet to (voluntarily) set the game down and not walk away saying, “now that was just flat out fun!” Indeed when it comes right down to it that’s what ModNation Racers: Road Trip for Vita is… a flat out fun kart racing game!

Let me share with you a little of what I experienced…

1. Controlled Drifting
An essential element of any great kart racing game is the drift mechanic. In ModNation Racers: Road Trip drifting is no longer solely about building up your boost meter to gain acceleration or as a cache for shielding from weapons or hazards. Though these abilities are still a large asset of drifting in the game, we have made many improvements allowing players more complete control of their racing lines. In a correctly-executed drift your forward momentum is increased while your outward momentum (inertia) can be managed (or decreased). You will find your kart easier to hold a desired line by being able to carve and progressively link drifts together without over- or under-steering into walls, guardrails or flying off the track. This refinement allows veteran racers to rely more on their racing skills as well as allows newbies a greater sense of control.

drift

2. More Forgiving Collisions
Now racers will notice fewer if any “dead stops” brought on from an opponent’s attacks. Racers will also find it easier to get back into the pack if they happen to land a jump a little off kilter or accidentally slam into a wall with the new auto-correct feature built into the racing controls. It can be frustrating in any racing game to have the slightest error result in what seems like an eternity of reverse Y-turn after Y-turn to get you back in the race. ModNation Racers: Road Trip = problem solved.

turn

3. Refined Braking
Braking? What’s braking? I don’t need no stinking braking!
Sure you can still go all out and avoid your helpful little friend (the brake button) but if you truly desire to master the art of racing in ModNation Racers: Road Trip you will appreciate the ability to finesse your level of control with the a reworked braking system. Players can now use the brakes to adjust steering controls while drifting and this does not stop or cancel the drift.

4. The Best For Last!
These “tweaks, changes, and improvements” not only improve the experience for all Vita-centric tracks but also insure that all PS3 user-generated tracks played on Vita would enjoy the same enhancements. This means a brand new exciting racing experience on all your favorite PS3 tracks. That ModNation is quite frankly awesome! We hope you’ll agree!

ModNation Racers Road Trip: Recent Features Preview

Track Studio I – ModNation Racers: Road Trip Track Studio – Your Wish is Our Command!
Track Studio II – ModNation Racers: Road Trip Track Studio – Part Two

Mod Studio – ModNation Racers: Road Trip – Mod Studio Preview
Kart Studio – ModNation Racers: Road Trip – Kart Studio Preview

PS3 ModNation Racers News

Creation Challenge: Holiday Themed Mods, Karts, And Tracks!
We are looking for some great Holiday themed Mods, Karts and Tracks to promote in our upcoming Mod-Holiday blog.

1. If you would like to submit your TRACK or recommend a Holiday themed track you liked click HERE.
  2. If you would like to submit your MOD and/or KART or recommend a holiday themed Mod / Kart you liked click HERE.

This Week’s Top Tracks: Best of IndustrialSavior

Check out his player profile HERE
Creations of the Week: Best of PSN ID: rainbowhillbilly

cotw

Hot Lap Tracks of the Week: University Challenge by atheistsw
atheistsw has outdone himself yet again! He has built us a complete college town including what I perceive to be a world renowned library, a top research facility and charming off campus housing. I know I added at least 15 I.Q. points after only racing one lap (that takes me up to 37!). Yes, he’s that good!

totw

Monday: University Challenge by atheistsw
Tuesday: Oasis River Run by OnePoppa
Wednesday: Guards Guardin’ Gardens by Yika
Thursday: CITY the shuttle bridge by inosan0518
Friday: Christmas Shopping V 1.1 by JNM-CIM
Saturday: Verazzo Pass by atheistsw
Sunday: Mega Skyscraper Hop by statickey_660

+ IndustrialSavior on December 12th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

XD

+ dancinglights800 on December 12th, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

Oh Gr8! is available for pre-order, if Yes, Where?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 12th, 2011 at 10:07 am said:

Vita or Road Trip? They should both be available for pre-order at most retailers.

+ Hooligantuan on December 12th, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

Oh cool. More atheistsw tracks.

+ Imputed7-14 on December 12th, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

I am slowly being won over by the Vita. Between this, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet they have my fullest attention. Now Sony needs to address that memory card pricing thing. Just announce it and let people have the holiday to deal.

+ JNM-CIM on December 12th, 2011 at 7:54 am said:

1. Whoa! I think my brain just exploded! I thought I was out as far as hot lap was concerned. This is totally unexpected. Thank you so very much!

2. Really glad to hear about the tweaks with the drifting and collisions. Is there any possibility of patches to come to the PS3?

3. One thing I’ve been wanting to know about with Roadtrip is: will there be new Gary and Biff videos and quotes for it? Those guys are hilarious and would love to see some new skits with them!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 12th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

I told ya to keep at it and you would make Hot Lap one day. Congrats!

Mark

+ Shrapnel__ on December 12th, 2011 at 8:31 am said:

you know what i want for Christmass? yeah Double XP :)

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 12th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

hmmmm… I’ll check my naughty and nice list

+ badnewsliar on December 12th, 2011 at 8:44 am said:

you know what i want for christmas? a dlc sale for ps3 track packs and themes (obviously with a bigger discount for plus subscribers)

+ HandsomeDave85 on December 12th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

I’m with you 6
MNR PS3 needs a DLC pack sale
$10 a piece is just too much. $30 for 3 dlcs packs? That’s more than the entire game retails for.

+ El_Santo_Poly on December 12th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

hi mark i been asking this for 2 or 3 weeks now but you just dont answer anyway
will be a a psvita-ps3 compatibility or updates for the ps3 version more dlc??

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 12th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Hi El_Santo_Poly ,

Sorry. Not ignoring you. You should be seeing more Vita questions addressed over the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

+ shrimpdude on December 12th, 2011 at 9:52 am said:

“hi mark i been asking this for 2 or 3 weeks now but you just dont answer anyway
will be a a psvita-ps3 compatibility”

They haven’t answered this because there won’t be Vita-PS3 cross platform play.

+ zekececil14 on December 12th, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

Something that has always bothered me, but I never thought to hard about is, why can’t you use your mic and listen to music at the same time? It’s kinda weird.

Obviously not really a problem, but I was just wondering, why?

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on December 12th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

I know I will sound like grammar police here, but….

” improve the experience for all Vita-centric tracks but also insure that all PS3 user-generated tracks”

Yikes! I generally expect PR folks to have good grammar and know the difference between insure and ensure….:(

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 12th, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

ruh-roh! :)

+ uncleniccius on December 12th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

@12 I think that was a pun mark? Insure like driving insurance? Just me ;( Any chance for PS3- PS vita cross game play because 4 player modnation on split screen has horrible frame rate, however it’d be awesome being able to do it! Already have wifi vita preordered along with LBP, modnation & Uncharted!

+ detictiveconan on December 12th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

Everything about “. More Forgiving Collisions” sounds horrible to me. You should be punished for small mistakes,that’s what separates a pro from a novice.

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 12th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

I think once you try it you may change your mind. With a smaller (yet unbelievable!) screen and user generated tracks that are not always designed without flaws, sometimes have a few too many unavoidable “mis-steps”.

+ OnePoppa on December 14th, 2011 at 4:55 am said:

Marc thanks very much for putting up ‘oasis river run’ for tuesday’s hot lap!

+ finaler on December 19th, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

It all sounds great except I don’t care for the collision forgiveness. I think there should at least be some dead stops and some weapons were about useless enough not completely stopping you even at level 3. Players need to be punished from time to time