PS4-Watch_Dogs

New Yakuza: Dead Souls Trailer Shows How to Kill a Zombie

Kate Bryant's Avatar + Posted by Kate Bryant on Dec 14, 2011 // Community Manager, SEGA of America

It’s a question as old as zombies themselves – How do you kill a zombie? I find that most zombie-killing machines fall into one of two main categories: guns and melee weapons. Yakuza: Dead Souls makes sure that you can experience both from the comfort of your own home. After the trailer, a brief discussion on the weapons you’ll have at your disposal in Yakuza: Dead Souls.

Guns – A reliable source of zombie obliteration. A well-timed headshot goes a long way in zombie eradication, and Yakuza: Dead Souls has more than enough guns to choose from. (Don’t forget that you can play as Ryuji Goda, whose fake arm is a gatling gun!) Additionally, Yakuza: Dead Souls allows you to “heat snipe” items for maximum zombie carnage. Horde of zombies got you craving more fire power? Well then snipe the gas tank on a nearby car and watch the explosion spread!

Melee – If you’re anything like me, you’re thinking, “Alright, guns are cool but what happens if I’m out of ammo or just plain feel like slapping a zombie around?” The answer: pick something up and slap a zombie! Yakuza: Dead Souls lets you play with reliable, time-tested zombie-killing things: chainsaws, baseball bats, grenades, etc., and also allows you to get slightly more creative with your melee weapons: Motorbike? Poles? Desk? Go for it!

Questions about available weapons? Need tips on the art of beating a zombie to death (again) with a couch? Kellie and I are here to answer your questions, and if you’re lucky I might share my super-secret zombie-apocalypse survival tips (Hint: get to a Costco that sells beer and wait for Majima and his sweet eyepatch to show up).

+ poodude on December 14th, 2011 at 8:11 am said:

Easily one of my most anticipated titles of next year.

Just a question though, how are the guns controlled? Is it like in past Yakuza games where a face button is used to fire, or have you adopted the L1 to aim/R1 to shoot mechanic from more recent shooters?

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

There are a couple different ways to play. For those who like more traditional shooters, we’ve got a setting that should feel pretty familiar. For the Yakuza fans who prefer the older style of gunplay (the face button style), there’s also a way to do that. In both modes, you’ll have the option to fire without zooming in and also the option to zoom in for a more accurate, one-hit-kill headshot.

+ Tremulan777 on December 14th, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

I am lookin forward to this game. Do you know the release date? will it have extra content like the other yakuza games?

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

No exact date yet, but March 2012. And yes, there is tons of extra stuff like all the other Yakuza games. :)

+ PublicSudoku on December 14th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

Who would win in a zombie killing contest: Kiryu or Frank West?

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

A member of the Yakuza versus a measly photographer? Definitely Kiryu.

+ poodude on December 14th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask. In Binary Domain, Kazuma Kiryu is a multiplayer skin, though from what I understand that’s just been announced for the Japanese version. Will us North Americans be able to play as him too?

+ FearMonkey on December 14th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

oh, man, I can’t wait. I love the Yakuza series. About time someone showed that other game company who shall remain nameless how to do open-world zombie games. :D

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

w00t!

+ YungShep on December 14th, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

i hope to see a PSN release : )

+ guitarded77 on December 14th, 2011 at 11:34 am said:

So is it a downloadable title or a disc title?

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 1:39 pm said:

It’s a disc title.

+ chemerie on December 14th, 2011 at 12:48 pm said:

ENGLISH DUB PLS! I am a big fan of the First Yakuza and never played another Yakuza since then. I hate reading subtitles. Not to mention I can’t read them fast enough during the cutscenes. I’m tired of missing out on more Yakuza games because of the lack of an English dub option. Why are you doing this to me?!

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 1:40 pm said:

Sorry, but Yakuza: Dead Souls is subtitled and has the original Japanese voices.

+ thundercat17 on December 14th, 2011 at 12:59 pm said:

yes, but i would totally love using akiyama’s kick on a zombie

and for godsakes sega, DO NOT DUB YAKUZA, and for the lazy fat people who wants dubs out there, either learn how to read or shut the hell up

+ Kate Bryant on December 14th, 2011 at 1:40 pm said:

It is subtitled, but to each his own. :)

+ chemerie on December 14th, 2011 at 1:30 pm said:

Just to clarify, thundercat17, I’m not telling the guys at Sega to get rid of the Japanese Language But to give players the option to choose the language to play it in. Show a little sympathy for visually impaired gamers like myself.

+ JH-FallenReaper on December 14th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

cant wait bought Yakuza 4 for $10 on black friday and enjoyed it more than Uncharted 3,Batman AC,and many games out there it was my first yakuza and im definately picking up this one!

+ Kellie Parker on December 15th, 2011 at 2:02 pm said:

Awesome!

+ ReptileHand on December 14th, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Ugh somehow somewhere Yakuza 4 slipped by me on Black Friday. I thought the demo for Yakuza 3 was weird, first time playing. I’ll maybe pick this one up though if it does good. But it looks pretty smooth.

+ Kellie Parker on December 15th, 2011 at 2:02 pm said:

You should definitely check it out… and Yakuza 4 too. :)

+ boxmyth on December 14th, 2011 at 5:09 pm said:

Sold. Sold sold sold. Take my money.
And Merry Christmas, Sega :)

+ Kellie Parker on December 15th, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

Merry Christmas!

+ jh6269 on December 14th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

Thanks SEGA! Hopefully this game will help me like Zombie games. Thanks for bringing these great Yakuza titles to North America even though they may not do as well as Uncharted 3, us loyal fans really appreciate it!

+ Kellie Parker on December 15th, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

You’re welcome! Glad you are looking forward to it!

+ RafaelVentura on December 14th, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

Do you have any plans in bringing Yakuza Kenzan? I’m eager to play it ever since they announced the japanese version.

+ Kellie Parker on December 15th, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

We’re focused on Yakuza: Dead Souls right now. :)

+ SpecDotSign on December 14th, 2011 at 9:01 pm said:

I dislike zombie games. Mainly because they’re all basically the same with some differences in between, but I have to say, I LOVE me some Yakuza. This is exactly what I like to see in games – craziness. Out with realism, in with creativity! (Except for The Last of Us, that game looks dope!)

+ doyzndahood on December 15th, 2011 at 8:12 am said:

to bad Domon Kasshu not in the it that be soo boss!

+ doyzndahood on December 15th, 2011 at 8:13 am said:

forgot to say game LOL

+ TallCrowe on December 15th, 2011 at 8:56 am said:

I will buy this game the day it comes out.

+ noah123 on December 15th, 2011 at 9:54 am said:

Hi there Kate. Thanks for releasing another great Yakuza Dead Souls trailer. As a fan of the series, I purchased the import Japanese version of Ryu ga Gotoku Of The End was was wondering if some of the AI has been tweaked, if not at all? In the import there is a mode called Of the End Mode which I found quite impossible to complete but with a little patience and persistence I managed to successfully beat that mode by continuously boosting my characters. Have there been tweaking improvements with the partner system? In the import, I found the partner’s AI to be somewhat of a disappointment since they were not helpful and would often at times get killed during boss battles. Hopefully you could answer some of my questions. Thanks!

+ Kate Bryant on December 19th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Hi Noah – to my knowledge the AI is true to the original. I am going to try and double check for you – but it may be after Christmas until I can get you a definite yes or no. :)

+ noah123 on December 20th, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

Much appreciated Kate. I do have one other question about the Western release. In the import version there was a feature called Ryu Ga Gotoku Gree that lets players connect to their mobile phones and play the characters of the series while playing Ryu ga Gotoku Of The End. Will this feature be implemented in the Western release or will there be another substitute mode/feature in the game that replaces that mode? Thanks !