PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Official PlayStation Blogcast Episode 004: Words and Sorcery

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Dec 15, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

This week brings a double-stuffed episode of Official PlayStation Blogcast, beginning with exclusive first details of PSN new game releases for next week (that’s Tuesday, December 20th) and rapidly moving into a wide discussion of late-breaking PlayStation news and updates. I share my hands-on experiences with PlayStation Move poster child Sorcery (read my full Q&A with Design Director Brian Upton here for more), discussions of PS Vita standout title Gravity Rush, Rey’s experiences with UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss and Touch My Katamari, a new batch of user questions, a new PSN Gem of the Week and a new Tip of the Week, all interspersed with the sputtering and stammering that makes our show so charming.

Protip: Gran Turismo fans will definitely want to listen to today’s show for an in-depth interview with Gran Turismo’s US producer Taku Imasaki, who discusses details of Gran Turismo 5’s upcoming Car Pack 2 and Update 2.02. Imasaki also delves into GT Academy insights and how GT creator Kazunori Yamauchi decides what features make it into the game. Insightful!

All in all, a jam-packed show ahead of the holidays. As always, we encourage you to leave your feedback and questions in the comments here and rate us on iTunes. Thanks, and enjoy!

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Product Evaluator
  • Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. Special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

+ Butters360 on December 15th, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

You guys keep making the podcast better and better.

+ Sid Shuman on December 15th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

Glad you like it!

+ lordErk on December 15th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

Apples to Apples is awesome. So is the Blogcast. Keep up the great work.

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

You’re too kind :) Thanks!

+ Mattsta001 on December 15th, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

I hope next you guys can discuss the stupidity of Vita’s over priced proprietary memory cards and limiting the system to only one account per device, meaning your brother/sister, boyfriend/girlfriend can not use the device on their own account unless a factory reset is done. Why does Sony keep making boneheaded decisions? Maybe Sony should ask what customers want for a change.

+ krae_man on December 15th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

*bit

Man I can’t spell.

+ reyray0709 on December 15th, 2011 at 4:17 pm said:

BEYOND! and.. uh? BLOG!

+ krae_man on December 15th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

Anyway I’m going to listen to this while playing Sacred 2. I finally got around to buying that.

+ gohanrice on December 15th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

I know it was one of the tips in an earlier episode: sorting your games in the XMB. I’ve been using this for quite a while, but I do have one gripe about it. There is NOT an option to sort in alphabetical order. I don’t know if you guys have any say in what goes into the firmware updates, but PLEASE get this in there.

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

I don’t….but if I ever do get that chance, I will!

+ Warped on December 15th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

Whats up guys! keep up the good work! love the stories of how you guys got into the industry,hope to see you guy in there one day!

+ Kchow23 on December 15th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

Awesome podcast! I enjoyed the PS Vita game discussion and hopefully that keeps going until launch.

+ Kchow23 on December 15th, 2011 at 4:43 pm said:

Also what happened with the MGS HD Collection themes? Haven’t seen them and I thought that they were coming along with the avatars.

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

Thanks for listening and glad you like the show. As for the MGS themes, I am seeing MGS2 and MGS3 art themes as listed for hitting on 1/3 (that could change but it’s the latest estimate).

+ Exalted_Knight on December 15th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

Im going to tweet to Yamauchi about getting my 4 door Honda Civic DX from Gran Turismo 2 upscaled for GT5!

+ Kchow23 on December 15th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

I think for next week a discussion with and or about Nolan North’s new book about working on Uncharted with the awesome folk at Naughty Dog would be great.

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

We’d love to get Nolan in here. We’re making a list and checking it twice…

+ xGREYHUNTERx on December 15th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

I though Jeff said Greg Miller would be on this weeks episode? Either way loving the podcast.

+ Sid Shuman on December 15th, 2011 at 7:43 pm said:

Next week (we’re aiming for it)

+ ChronoTJM on December 15th, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

My tip of the week? Ummm Watch Waggle3D on Youtube! That guys video’s are insanely informative, and if you like the Move at all, he’ll help you fall in love with it more. Get a hold of that guy! I’d love to see you interview him!

+ HOTTSCOTT40 on December 15th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

happy holidays guys hey i have a question when will we be getting a psn update for the patch on wwe12 its been a month and nothing and when is the wwe12 diva DLC pack arrives it suppose to be this month and it also nothin so please reply back psn

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:43 am said:

Please follow up with THQ — we don’t make WWE

+ flowjy on December 15th, 2011 at 5:35 pm said:

Hey guys, listener here from the Philippines! You guys are doing an awesome job every show. I’ve been listening to the blogcasts more than once every week! Keep it up!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 16th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

Wow, thanks!

+ germix27 on December 15th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

Awesome guys keep it coming!! :DD
    I looooveeee the music in the intro with the sounds of rhe PS3 its great! Thanks

+ HungrySoulEater on December 15th, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

Hey guy, good episode. Um…. for more about Vita, I know that a lot of people do not know about the different card slots on it, like how there is a normal game card slot and then there is a memory card slot,and also how add ons and updates will be stored on the game card and not the memory card. So could you guys tell a little more about the actual Vita design and not just in games? Plus, ever since the last PS3 update, I see the PS Vita System Application Utility and maybe you can talk about that too. Also, has there been any information about being able to buy music trough the Vita?
    Thanks.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 16th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

We will do that before launch, definitely.

+ Mr_Bipolar on December 15th, 2011 at 6:32 pm said:

Awesome. They updated again. Good reading materials.

+ Crash15 on December 15th, 2011 at 8:14 pm said:

Question is there going to be a new firmware for the PSP well since Vita is a week away(JPN release)and 2 months away in the US. Cause well I think the PSP is still a great device and before the year ends let the PSP come out strong. I still use it I just got done listening the podcast with the RSS feed. Great Podcast guys!! P.S. Since the PS3′s version of music unlimited logo and text is different from the PSP’s one still saying that with powered by quirocity are they going to change it via firmware to just music unlimited? If one is to release before the end of the year? I am going to take a guess at the ending song and say it’s Sly Cooper.(never played the collection yet PS3 just suffered from disc burns 2 weeks and I don’t think It will funtion again) :’(

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:43 am said:

Glad you like your PSP — no word on a new firmware there for now.

+ TurismoM3 on December 15th, 2011 at 10:15 pm said:

Keep it up. Very entertaining. Thanks.

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

Thank you for the praise — let us know if you think we can do better in some way or another!

+ Other_ on December 15th, 2011 at 10:48 pm said:

Hey fellow PlayStation enthusiasts! Don Oliveira from PSU.com (PlayStation Universe) here, and I just wanted to stop by and say great work with the podcast! I was glad to see you guys start one up, as I’m really fond of the inside scoops, guests, and format of your ‘cast. I’ve recently started up a podcast on PSU as well (don’t mean to plug), called Podcast Derailed. I’ll be listening as often as I can–keep up the great work! Cheers to both our new PlayStation podcasts hitting the web ;)

+ Nick Suttner on December 16th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

I used to do some writing for PSU! Check out the God of War II review. ;-)

I’ll definitely check out your podcast when I get a chance, congrats on the launch!

+ miroku06 on December 16th, 2011 at 7:08 am said:

Love the new blog cast!! Compared to others your feels more professional and actually part of the industry! Here’s to trying to get my question answered on the show: Recently, I just found out that you can log into Sony Entertainment Network and deactivate all your active accounts, my question is: Can you guys make people more aware of how to do this? Thanks

+ oycomics on December 16th, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

Another great episode! I especially liked the part at the very end when I heard my own name. lol

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

LOL. Glad you could join us!

+ PortlandRidah on December 16th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

Another great episode keep’um comin’ plz 8)
    Now for my question is the PS Vita goin to get firmware updates like the PS3 or will there be multiple versions like the PSP or iPHONE? And as a for a PS3 tip I know there are alot of gettin PS3s this holidays (Me Im a day 1 kind of guy) maybe you guys could explain for some of the newer PS3 owners that the PS3 is more than a console it does everything its the media hub in my house i can stream wirelessly stuff from my PC/Laptop it has a built in web brower & you can video chat via PS Eye to any of your PSN friend in HQ instead of send msgs or if that isnt there thing then set-up a txt chat to easly stay in touch with your friends 8) also many new owners may not know that they can easily & cheaply upgrade there HDD to up to 1TB w/o any modifications or w/o voiding Sonys warrenty (1TB is fantastic since there is so much great stuff on the PS Store)

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

“It Only Does Everything!”

+ PortlandRidah on December 16th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

sorry 4 double post lol
    Currently Im playin or should say consumed by Skyrim, MW3, & Rayman
    Watchin Game Of Thrones (while playin Skyrim is EPIC lol) Parks n Rec, Community & Walking Dead
    Recommendation of the month get the Sony Wireless 7.1 Stereo Headset It will change how u game 8)
    also I already have a Starhawk beta key 8) I jus wanted to post some tips to help out my fellow PS3 gamers who may be new to the finest online Community (see wut i did there lol) out there IMO the PSN

+ Sid Shuman on December 16th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

Thanks for the tips! How did you break your hand? Hope it doesn’t hurt too bad!

+ PortlandRidah on December 16th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

darn typos sorry bout that guys broken hand + typing = fail

+ zombie9 on December 16th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Show was good got alot of good info. No word on the Uncharted DLC next week? weird Spike TV (saw videos and every thing) said more DLC was coming on 12/20 maybe next week then12/27. I do have a question will we ever be able to transfer games to our PSP again? Come on 4.10 (;

+ etur0 on December 16th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

I can’t find where to deactivate my busted ps3 and my friends psp on the web so can you please tell me where to go

+ quirowekjefhgekr on December 16th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

just downloaded it and will listen to it later. forgot to ask you guys, you always talk about games, themes, and minis but i never heard you guys talk about movies and such. could you guy maybe talk a little about that? correct me if its in this blog cast. thanks.

+ TurismoM3 on December 16th, 2011 at 4:35 pm said:

Get uber geeky about all things PlayStation. Your little PS tips, like things you might not know about. Keep those coming.

Also, question why can’t PS3 understand iTunes AAC meta tags like PSP can.

+ drunkinguys34 on December 16th, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

anyone wanna play me in modern warfare 3 if so add drunkinpats 23 he started the clain and he is looking for experts at cod pm him if u wanna join

+ drunkinguys34 on December 16th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

can there be a demo for skyrim i never played a elder scrolls game please sony have demo it will make me and my friends happy

+ midnightshade on December 16th, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

Jeff,

Whats going on with SCEA? Where is the Skyrim 1.3 patch? I haven’t been able to play with no magic resistance and other glitches for 3 weeks now. The gave you guys the patch last week. And guess what , SCEE released it 2 whole days ago… yet its the weekend and once again it’s not released. Every other Sony territory in the world but the USA got the 1.3 patch. Why are you guys being so mean…especially on my 3day weekend?

+ Mister-Nep on December 17th, 2011 at 6:34 am said:

So glad to hear the audio turned up this episode. Made hearing things a lot easier.

+ krae_man on December 17th, 2011 at 7:58 am said:

Okay Sid, now you have to bug Sega until they put Knuckles Chaotix on PSN.

+ the_FREELANCER on December 17th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

Great show and yes for tumblr!

+ nepaldk on December 19th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

This show is so much fun! The PSN coverage is especially great.

On a side note, just got my Platinum in Skyrim today (86 hours well spend), and was wondering about your progress in the game so far, and if you’re aiming for the Platinum as well.

Keep up the great work.

+ heyugetoverhere on December 20th, 2011 at 1:24 am said:

Hey Sid and Jeff,

How do we get BLUR to be a psn downloadable game. Its on xbox market place but not in psn :(

+ Artemisthemp on December 20th, 2011 at 8:21 am said:

I still wonder, why EU don’t have NIS America (Same company public the game in EU and US) Avatar in EU, since a lot of ppl want those Avatar

+ JoeBears on December 21st, 2011 at 7:47 pm said:

Here’s a idea for tip of the week:

Although the PS3 doesn’t have a dedicated “SensMe” app like the PSP, you can playback your music from your PS3 hard drive in Life with Playstation. You have the option to select different “SenseMe” moods and it will playback your music based on the mood channel to select. Just launch Life with Playstation, select General Settings, then Music.