PS4-The Order

Learn FIFA Soccer’s New Vita Controls

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Dec 22, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

EA’s first foray onto the PlayStation Vita is a strong one, as the EA Sports team in Vancouver isn’t just miniaturizing the PS3 experience into a portable size, but refining the controls to take advantage of the new hardware. In this hands-on video, producer Matt Prior demonstrates what he calls “the most controllable version of FIFA ever.”

As is quickly becoming standard practice when console franchises debut on the Vita, these touchscreen controls are optional. Yet I think longtime video footballers will find themselves using at least some of these new tricks pretty quickly, as they feel right at home.

I spent some time with this demo version of FIFA Soccer after the event, and I found myself toying around with the playable menu screen for a long time, just taking shot after shot on goal. The accuracy of the rear touch shooting has won me over, and I look forward to hearing your impressions of it once it debuts in just a few short months.

+ Tebitan2011 on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

:O What a Graphics :D Its How To Play With The Ps3 But in My Hand….. :D

Im Very Excited i Want To Take My PS Vita in Feb..1st Thanks Sony

+ Sean196 on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

Does it have online?

+ Tebitan2011 on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

PD Yes It Has a 1 vs 1 Online :D Or Season Online Like the Ps3 :D Yaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Two Things To Be Happy: Ps Vita + Fifa 12 = Happynes

Regards From Colombia :D

+ Myke-Myke on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

Wow.

Very impressive.

Can’t wait til Sony announces the official line-up and details for the US.

Please hurry up with the info!!!

+ mauaus on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

Hey Jeff!! Great job as always on the Blog!
Quick Question, are we getting Vita Launch Titles listing this week? I would like to know what the total damage to my wallet is going to be haha

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

YES. In like an hour :)

+ sirqweirDY on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

My single most-anticipated title on the PS Vita.
Looks very impressive.

+ remanutd5 on December 22nd, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

man utd forever !!!!

+ Zezzler on December 22nd, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

wow, that’s actually a really great use for the back touch.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

it works very, very well.

+ Chihuahua21099 on December 22nd, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

The graphics look awesome :o

+ dokoganryu on December 22nd, 2011 at 9:23 am said:

One nil to the Arsenal!

Shocker of a miss, though, heh. ;-)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

Hey hit the woodwork, I know!

+ BananaFish on December 22nd, 2011 at 9:23 am said:

Will this game feature ps vita and ps3 cross-play? That would be the bee’s tits.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

Alas, it does not.

+ YungShep on December 22nd, 2011 at 9:33 am said:

never owned a Fifa game on the ps3…but FIFA VITA…is highly likely to be purchased, the graphics look silky smooth it really does look like a ps3 in your hands…WOW

+ Skeetlejuice on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:30 am said:

Will this game feature ps vita and ps3 cross-play? That would be Purple Drink!

if the the be a pro including gameplay allows me to grind accross platforms then I have just been successfully strongarmed into a vita purchase.

It makes the 3ds fifa look like a recently beaten red headed stepchild. I’m gonna have to trade that in asap.

Man that looks good. Well Vita w/ fifa and uncharted it is. The die is cast. The shooting, passing, and player selection all could be better on this and if the pro is transferrable i’ll just be playing the vita most of the time and the ps3 for the online and clubs with my pro.

So about the Montreal Imapct and the MLS EA???

United 5 – 0 over Fullham. That is all.

+ Skeetlejuice on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

game play i meant gameface.

+ KirAMinh on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

Cant believe this can be true.
My HK Vita will arrived in 29/12 – wow tks for the deliver works hard.

+ loadstone007 on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

That looks so awesome. I can’t wait to get the Vita and FIFA.
I recall the last E3 not mentioning FIFA, I was so anxious to hear when it will be released. There was no doubt though, just wondered when. Glad to see this game coming along superbly.

I really love the PS brand because you invest so much in gamers. Too bad I can’t buy PlayStation merchandise!

+ JDSSLP on December 22nd, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

Please post a follow-up video demonstrating the free-kick “drawing” controls, thanks!

+ Anddo on December 22nd, 2011 at 1:02 pm said:

I’m not a huge Soccer fan. But that looks insanely awesome!

+ LionsguardAgrias on December 23rd, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

Loving the idea of touch screen passing.
Its so frustrating on PS3 to know what you want to do and be unable to do it due to the control scheme.

+ T-Jani on December 23rd, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

This looks awesome…………..come Feb 22nd im going to have no money. LOL!

+ DEVIL_Nishino on December 24th, 2011 at 12:00 am said:

It’s like fifa 11 or 12? Or worst a 09 or 10?

+ BalramRules on December 24th, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

WOW! FIFA totally works for PS Vita!
I didn’t actually think it would have! Wow! Wait to go Sony! :DD
Congrats! This has got to be a must-have game for everyone who purchases a PS Vita, and ADORES Football as a sport, so I may just get this game, and it’s got online! So that’s all the more better!
Yepee! :D

+ Wubbaduck86 on December 26th, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

Im surprised it looks this good! But i do have two questions though, how “assisted” will theese touch-controls be when i try to execute passes online? Will the player be able to make insane passes that are out of this world just because he/she makes use of the touch pass, or will they be realistic and inconsistent?
The other thing i would like to know is how have you planned to substitute the trigger controls that us console gamers have grown used to? (Rush R2, Defending L2)

Looking forward to the game and can’t wait to get my hands on it! Toodles!

+ jnel17jun on December 30th, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

@Jeff Rubenstein

I was wondering if you had any news about a White PSVITA !?!?!?

+ dad1942 on January 7th, 2012 at 6:29 am said:

No need for me to play ps3! This is better than the ps3!