God of War

Dec 22

Dec 22

Official PlayStation Blogcast Episode 005: Game of the Year Edition

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Subscription Links:

We’re only 5 episodes into the Official PlayStation Blogcast, and it’s already time for a clip show! We wrap up 2011 with a double episode delivering exclusive first details of the last PSN new game releases for the year (that’s Tuesday, December 27th) as well as the first PlayStation Store Update of 2012 (Tuesday, January 3rd).

Then we discuss the best PS3 and PSN games of 2011, as well as hear GotY picks of special guests from around the industry, including Capcom’s Seth Killian, IGN’s Podcast Beyond team, Naughty Dog‘s co-presidents, Double Fine Productions, Max Scoville from Destructoid, Game Informer’s Andy McNamara, plus N’Gai Croal compliments me on the blazer I wore at the VGAs (after talking about Portal 2 – listen closely).

As always, we encourage you to leave your feedback and questions in the comments here and rate us on iTunes. And while you’re at it, let us know your favorite game of 2011. See you in 2012!

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. Special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

Add Your Own

SlaughteredNinja said:

December 22nd, 2:50 pm

Arkham City!!

Butters360 said:

December 22nd, 2:51 pm

Awesome job guys. Happy Holidays to you all!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

December 22nd, 3:17 pm

Thanks much, and Happy Holidays to you too!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

December 22nd, 3:38 pm

same to you, Butters!

remanutd5 said:

December 22nd, 3:01 pm

my goty is Motorstorm Apocalypse, runner up inFAMOUS 2

my most anticipated 2012 title is The Last Guardian

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

December 22nd, 3:19 pm

Nice picks! We’ll be sure to go over our most anticipated 2012 games when we start back up in the new year.

computerman9 said:

December 22nd, 3:03 pm

Saints Row the Third!!!
    It is so entertaining which is the whole intent behind videogames. Yes the graphics aren’t that great and the story line is short, but It has been the most fun I have ever had playing a game! GOTY whether people agree or not

remanutd5 said:

December 22nd, 3:03 pm

my 2011 psn game is inFAMOUS Festival of Blood

most anticipated 2012 psn title is Motorstorm RC

D-Squad3 said:

December 22nd, 3:04 pm

The voting system for the Ratchet & Clank Trailer contest is rigged, people have found a way to vote an unlimited number of times per day. It was suppose to be one vote per ip address per day as said in the rules.

PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS THANK YOU

D-Squad3 said:

December 22nd, 3:04 pm

Here’s the video if you’re willing to approve it.

Pesico said:

December 22nd, 3:04 pm

Gonna listen to this on my 4 hour bus ride tomorrow. Along with Podcast Beyond. Two best PlayStation podcasts.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

January 2nd, 11:23 am

Happy to hear it — and Happy New Year!

xGREYHUNTERx said:

December 22nd, 3:21 pm

Hello and welcome to The Comedy Button!

EvoAnubis said:

December 22nd, 3:22 pm

Downloading now. I knew Greg Miller would be on this week (I was the one that asked him the question that led to him calling you during the Google+ Hangout last week, Jeff), but I had no idea that the entire crew would be there. This is going to be a great episode!

My personal GOTY this year is a tie between Portal 2 and inFamous 2. Both those games managed to take the concepts they introduced in the first game of their respective series and blew the doors off the second time around.

Uncharted 3 gets an honorable mention. I loved that game, but in the end I had to admit that it didn’t quite reach the heights that Uncharted 2 did. Came really close though, and when you’re your own competition, it’s hard to really lose. Looking forward to seeing more about The Last of Us next year.

Kchow23 said:

December 22nd, 3:33 pm

Clips Show? You mean the Clippers show? Blake Griffin and CP3 FTW ! Anyway, listening to the podcast now :P

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

December 22nd, 3:39 pm

Clips look good this year, man.

Fred_K_Krueger said:

December 22nd, 3:44 pm

L.A. Noire

RE_Player said:

December 22nd, 4:20 pm

My GOTY for 2011 is by far Uncharted 3. Runner up would be inFamous 2 Festival of Blood, such a nice surprise for a small cost. Thanks for doing a podcast guys. Happy holidays.

Imputed7-14 said:

December 22nd, 4:36 pm

My GOTY is Little Big Planet 2; it just does everything so much better and the creativity just runs over. After that for me is Uncharted 3, which was such a cool experience.

Honorable Mention: Rayman Origins and All 4 One, both are pure multiplayer fun.

Kchow23 said:

December 22nd, 4:52 pm

Just finished listening to the podcast and I think it was the best one yet since there was always something new you guys mentioned and it flowed pretty well even though it was a full hour. Awesome job and Happy Holidays! Can’t wait for the PS Vita next year :)

GOTY for me is Uncharted 3, but Batman: Arkham City is a close second.

For guests aside from the enormous list that I posted on the first episode.. I would like to see someone from Platinum Games on the blog since their games always have awesome gameplay, but they always seem to go under the radar and that is something that hopefully changes with Metal Gear Rising.

etur0 said:

December 22nd, 4:53 pm

my GOTY is Skyrim with runners up being killzone3 socom4 infamouse2 resistance 3 dark souls and uncharted3

and skyrim won by a very small margin

Kchow23 said:

December 22nd, 5:00 pm

PS Vita, Bioshock: Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden 3, Mass Effect 3 and many more games to be excited about and on the movie side The Dark Knight Rises! Man it’s going to be an awesome year.

SpiritThief said:

December 22nd, 5:15 pm

I’ve waited all year.

Only 5 days left then we all get a little ODD.

JoeTheBeast16 said:

December 22nd, 5:18 pm

My game of the year has to be a tie between batman, resistance, killzone, and Uncharted.

Sent in a tip, hope you guys use it!

KSlay091 said:

December 22nd, 5:24 pm

I never really download and listen to podcast but you good sirs are very much entertaining.

Favorite game of 2011 is Metal Gear Solid HD Collection but if that doesn’t count then maybe Saints Row 3.
    Happy Holidays

x-former said:

December 22nd, 5:47 pm

JEFF?!?!?

On last weeks blogcast you mentioned you spoke to the guys at Super Giant Games (creators of Bastion). You even showed them the Vita….

Will there be ANY chance of Bastion making its way over to PSN???? Do you have any information on this? or can you get any?

GabeP said:

December 22nd, 5:56 pm

“No no no no no no” to thinking Rey would spoil Batman ending. Had to pause, I was laughing too hard. Makes me want to play it. I know, I know..

GOTY is Skyrim, no doubt. Awesome gameplay, so many interesting stories, and such a beautiful world to do it in. Without spoiling anything, I did NOT want to leave the area where you last battle Alduin.. Such an epic place with some badass dudes that I’d love to battle with. Future add-on?

Question for you guys.. Do you ever find it difficult to talk about games without crossing any lines that people in marketing or other depts may have set? It seems like it could become an issue for the more sensitive “higher ups”.

camiwaits_us said:

December 22nd, 7:30 pm

My two games of the year are Dark Souls & Batman: Arkham City. My PSN gem of the year is Pixeljunk Shooter 2 which has been grossly overlooked by all those gaming sites end of the year lists.

krae_man said:

December 22nd, 7:42 pm

Whoo! Klonoa is coming out on PSN!

However guys, pretending the Wii version doesn’t exist? Seriously, stop that stuff, it doesn’t come across well. The way to sell Klonoa PS1 is that it’s $5.99 and playable on both PS3 and PSP, not calling it hard to find.

Now an awesome Klonoa game that is hard to find? Moonlight Museam for the original Wonderswan. Man I love that game so much. It’s 2D sidescrolling like the other portable Klonoas only without any of those annoying snowboarding or other scrolling stages. The level progression and puzzle solving is just perfect.

Track down a Wonderswan and that game if you get to go to TGS, you won’t be disappointed. I suggest buying a Swancrystal. I don’t know about you, but I have a hard time putting up with non Backlit screens. After the PSP I can’t go back anymore.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

December 22nd, 8:24 pm

That’s my mistake. I was thinking that the Wii one was a remake of Klonoa 2, I forgot that it’s actually the first game (and didn’t think otherwise until you brought it up just now). Wasn’t purposefully ignoring its existence! Either way, the PS1 game is certainly hard to find. And I’d love to try Moonlight Museum one day, somehow!

krae_man said:

December 22nd, 8:43 pm

Alright, I accept your explanation.

You won’t be disappointed with Moonlight Museam, It’s seriously amazing. Some levels are even played in tate mode.

I have an uncontrolable urge to collect every single gem in the Klonoa games and the Snowboarding levels and any level that scroll really annoy me because I hate having to replay a stage because I missed one gem and it’s not like you can replay it and just collect the one you missed. It’s all or nothing. It’s especially bad with the second GBA game with the up and down scrolling levels and your sprite takes up 80% of the screen yet you still somehow keep missing jems.

I tried just not caring about the gems but it’s just not the same.

Moonlight Museam has none of that stuff. If you mess up a room you can just leave and come back and all the items reset and you can try something else. The progression is just perfect. First puzzle you just need an enemy, next one a block, then you have to use both an enemy and a block, then a fan is introduced and it goes on from there. soo good.

JDSSLP said:

December 22nd, 10:05 pm

My PS Gem of the year is the Blogcast. Seriously. A gaming podcast that has great audio, is humorous without swearing or crude insulting jokes, and talks straight-up to gamers about gaming in general despite focusing on one particular brand, is just downright refreshing. Best wishes for continued success in 2012!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

December 22nd, 11:01 pm

Wow, thank you so much. I think that’s just about the most awesome compliment we could hope for. We’ll do our best to continue living up to it in 2012, and hopefully making it that much better.

ty1109 said:

December 23rd, 6:20 am

Happy Holidays 2 All 4 OF u :)

ChaseHammerJ said:

December 23rd, 6:53 am

Hey guys, another great show.

My thought on the game of the year picks is that everyone only picked games that came out in the last month because that is what they are currently playing. People have forgotten about the games previously before. This to me is just a mask because its just your current “favorite” at the time.

Anyways keep it up. Merry Christmas fellas.

HatmanTc said:

December 23rd, 7:45 am

i think i must be the only person that wasn’t impressed by the ending for Batman Arkham City. just felt tacked on and not thought out.. maybe after the next game it will be thought out a bit better. i

krae_man said:

December 23rd, 8:17 am

My game of the year for 2011 is The HD Remake. The games I enjoyed the most this year were Zelda OOT 3DS, Sly Collection, Team Ico Collection and God of War Origins Collection.

I normally wouldn’t pick remakes but my most anticipated games Uncharted 3 and Ratchet All 4 One were such huge disappointments for me. It feels like Naughty Dog and Insomniac overextended themselves and shipped a couple of games that were nowhere near up to their normal standards.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

December 23rd, 9:18 am

Don’t forget Beyond Good & Evil HD!

SolduNuts said:

December 23rd, 8:50 am

Merry Christmas to everybody at the PlayStation Blog. I really like that you guys take the time to get us a new blog cast every week. Between the store update and your guys blog cast, I always have something to look forward to during the week. I like being able to download the blog cast straight from the here, to my phone, and being able to listen to you guys on the go. Please keep this feature into the new year. Congrats on the successful blog cast and look forward to many more great games and blog casts in 2012. Long Live Play.

Sold.

zombie9 said:

December 23rd, 9:01 am

Mortal Kombat 3-D was my first game pick then I played Uncharted 3 was my favorite. I would pick Resistance 3 but I’m in the middle of the game right now MP on it is sweetness… Batman is cool also.. Happy holidays

krae_man said:

December 23rd, 9:52 am

I forgot about Beyond Good and Evil HD. I played that one too. I’m having memories of your Backlog kids table podcasts.

Nates4Christ said:

December 23rd, 12:22 pm

Will the new rayman origins for the vita have transfarring with the ps3?

gus_xl said:

December 23rd, 2:12 pm

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the MP3?

gus_xl said:

December 23rd, 2:14 pm

Sorry, got it to work. Everyone move along. Nothing to see here..

rapture22 said:

December 23rd, 3:03 pm

Great blogcast. I am never disappointed. I’m totally addicting to saving each blogcast onto my ps3. Thank god for 500gb internal and 500gb external hdd.

My pick for goty has to be Uncharted 3. I still haven’t played Skyrim and I feel like I’m totally missing out.

Elvick_ said:

December 24th, 5:18 am

I can’t really pick a GOTY, missed a lot of games.

However, on PC one of my favorite games is the indie game “To The Moon” you should check it out the story is fantastic. ;_;

PlayStation wise, LBP2, Uncharted 3 are up there definitely.

Elvick_ said:

December 24th, 5:50 am

Oh yes, Catherine is fantastic too.

crazyslimz said:

December 25th, 8:07 am

question are they gonna be any of the ps3 naruto ninja storm series release as a full game on the psn store?

Gueeds said:

December 26th, 7:24 pm

Any word on if the wireless stereo headset will work with the Vita? I know it does not have a port for the USB dongle, but is there native support to pair it with the headset?

blindrocket said:

December 27th, 8:11 pm

Here’s a Tip of the Week and is about deactivating your PS3, if necessary.

Basically, just the instructions on the following link:

But this is really handy now that the PS3 is a few years into its life and people may have had multiple, activated systems that they may no longer have access to. In the past, the only way to really deactivate them was via the console itself, but now you may do this via PC, which is really convenient.

Love the podcast!

AKz_2010 said:

December 28th, 11:06 am

You missed one, that came out early this year, but still is a 2011 title. My #2 this year: Dead Space 2. Fantastically polished, it looked great was creepy, gross and scary (often at the same time) with possibly the best sound of the year.
    My top 5, because I hate RPGs: Batman, Dead Space, Portal, Uncharted, Catherine.

I suck at finding the good PSN titles, which is why I particularly appreciate the PSN Gem of the week/year pick. So far I have Braid, Limbo, Bejeweled 2 and Wolfenstein 3D and the ones I got for free after the PSN outage (Dead Nation and WipEout, both great games). The Blogcast is a lot of fun to listen to, keep up the good work. Beyond! ;)

Aggilus said:

December 29th, 10:09 am

Nice job Gentlemen. I still need a better way to enjoy the blogcast but Happy New Gaming Year for all and #LastofUs

ahmez said:

December 30th, 8:44 am

Question: I just picked up the PS3 wireless stereo headset and can’t say enough good things about it. Then I started thinking ahead to the Vita. Will I be able to pair the two together? Oh please say yes.

jammy1313 said:

December 31st, 1:25 am

WOW, I heard about this Blogcast on podcast Beyond & just loved it & downloaded the first 4 episodes. And i am more impressed to see that u guys replies to the fans that just made me respect u ghys more..keep up the good work & a Happy New Year…am sure u guys gonna ROCK 2012 with this blogcast…

CHRISRHODE2004 said:

December 31st, 10:02 am

How much was Darksiders going to be….?? It was almost as if he said $49.99….but i couldn’t really make it out.

wolfflame21 said:

January 2nd, 7:54 pm

Dear Blogcast Guys (Blogcaster? Bloggies? Pawns Of Kevin Butler?),

I was wondering, since your PSN account is tied to the vitas memory card, what if you want to get a new card with more space? I need to know just in case i mess things up. Also i need you guys to decide what game i am getting first. Army Corps Of Hell, Uncharted, or Gravity Rush? Please answer

From Wolfflame21

Shadow_Ninja_786 said:

January 5th, 1:51 pm

hi there quick question do u know the name of the next modern warfare or is this the last one thanks would be appreciative if you have any thoughts on it thanks

FrownyFaceGamer said: