Uncharted 4

Happy Holidays from Naughty Dog

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Dec 25, 2011 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Before 2012 rushes upon us we wanted to take a moment to say Happy Holidays from everyone here at the Naughty Dog kennel!

2012 newyearcard_F_01

As you can see from our holiday card we’ve welcomed Joel and Ellie from The Last of Us into our cast of characters to play among with Drake, Sully, Elena, Chloe, and our UNCHARTED personalities. The year has brought about tremendous change as Naughty Dog has grown into a two team studio for the first time in our 25 year history. This shift is terrifically exciting as it signals an expanded talent pool in which we can share ideas, know-how, and techniques. As future projects evolve, we will continue to strive to maintain our high Naughty Dog standards and always endeavor to do whatever it takes to raise the bar for gaming.

2011 was a grand adventure as we shipped Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception in November to widespread critical acclaim. We are grateful of all the recognition we’ve received for the title, ramping up at E3, continuing throughout development and into post-launch with some pretty awesome accolades from numerous media sources. Currently we’re working on some fresh DLC for UNCHARTED 3 and we will be sharing complete details about what you’ll be getting and what’s in store for all members of the Fortune Hunters’ Club in the New Year. Be sure to check back on the PlayStation blog for details within the first few months of 2012.

The studio also has been teaming with high fives and buzzing with energy via the hype caused by the announcement of The Last of Us at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards. If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, be sure to check it out as every frame hints at the kind of gameplay features and atmosphere you can expect to see in the full game:

Apart from all the activities around our big new game reveal, some of the Dogs have been on well-deserved breaks for the past couple of weeks, either taking some personal time off or spending time with the friends and families who we didn’t see much of during the development of UNCHARTED 3.

Co-President Christophe Balestra is currently taking his first vacation in 10 years (!) while Co-President Evan Wells is heading up to Portland to spend time with family. Amy Hennig, Creative Director on UNCHARTED 3, is spending time with family as well. Bruce Straley, Game Director of The Last of Us, intends to catch up on Shadow of the Colossus, Skyrim, and Rage over the holiday break. Neil Druckmann, Creative Director on The Last of Us, has similar intentions as he’s looking forward to playing Skyrim and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Justin Richmond, Game Director on UNCHARTED 3, plans to play Skyrim, hang out with family and make a special trip to an awesome Pirate-themed restaurant. So if pirates crop up in the brand new UNCHARTED 3 DLC that’s coming out down the road, maybe we can all point at Justin’s pirate-themed restaurant visit as the wellspring for that content…or maybe not.

Over the holidays Arne Meyer will be trying to make a dent his gaming backlog. Me? I’ll be hanging with family, making homemade pasta, and will be consumed with trying to sneak away to watch recently released movies like Hugo, Sherlock Holmes 2, and Moneyball.

So what are your plans for the holidays?

All told the most important and critical part of our year is seeing, learning, and hearing how you are experiencing our games. Your responses and reactions are what keep us going and we can’t express how much your support helps to make our year fun and our work enjoyable. Thank you. We hope you feel our games do the same for you and your year.

Happy Holidays!

PAGE 1 2

+ erick_34 on December 25th, 2011 at 4:17 pm said:

my Top 5 is:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
4. LittleBigPlanet 2
5. Portal 2 (I never play Portal 2 but i can’t wait for Portal 2.)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. ^_^

+ theXecutioner on December 25th, 2011 at 4:52 pm said:

@BlindMango: I think they’re saying “Happy Holidays” because 1 out of 4 Americans don’t celebrate Christmas. It’s rude to ignore 25% of the country. So instead of saying “Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkuh, Happy Kwanzaa, and Happy New Year!” we say “Happy Holidays!” out of respect for everyone.

Gotta work on my Uncharted 3 platinum to go with my DD and AT plats. Thanks for another memorable single-player experience Naughty Dog. You have no idea how much this old-school gamer appreciates a well-crafted campaign. Looking forward to The Last One (next year?).

Happy Holidays everyone!

+ shadysaiyanz on December 25th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

It’s be nice if the matchmaking was fixed… i keep getting matched up with nothing but people who are maxed out on legacies and in general with nothing but level 112′s and such on my team,… matchmaking is so broken. Also there’s an error or something with the level symbols because some guy jumped and joined in and his level on the scoreboard showed level 40, yet when he killed me, it was a second legacy 40. keep the match making within their own respective legacies atleast, 1-75 should only face 1-75 and same goes for each legacy.

+ Chihuahua21099 on December 25th, 2011 at 6:47 pm said:

MerryChristmas Guys

+ CurseShooter on December 25th, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

Any chance of some Last of Us skins for Uncharted 3?

+ spoonTRex on December 25th, 2011 at 8:03 pm said:

I love how many people are taking offense at the whole “Happy Holidays” thing. Let’s pretend, for a moment, that the entire US was Christian: Look at the top of the picture and notice the date. Then look at today’s date (year specifically).

“Oh, are they talking about the new year?”

Yeah, they are. See, in exactly one week from Christmas Day, just like any other year, is New Years Day. So if we try to forget there there are people that are of other faiths (or none at all), then at least—AT LEAST—try to remember that New Years Day is riiiiiiiiight around the corner, and that saying “Happy Holidays!” covers both holidays, and is shorter and easier than saying “Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!” and is in no way offense, so please try forcing it to be so.

Take your vendettas somewhere else. If you believe in Christ—Christ, try acting like him.

+ spoonTRex on December 25th, 2011 at 8:04 pm said:

*so please STOP trying to force it to be so. (we need an edit button)

+ FonFahbre on December 25th, 2011 at 9:31 pm said:

We got two good things from, Naughty Dog this year: Uncharted 3 and their new game announcement which is, The Last of Us. You guys spoil us! : )

+ Souledge94 on December 25th, 2011 at 9:45 pm said:

got my uncharted 3 finally for xmas.

+ Butters360 on December 25th, 2011 at 10:10 pm said:

What SpoonTRex said. A MILLION times.

+ slydaniels on December 25th, 2011 at 11:09 pm said:

Guess ND didn’t invite their older son Jak to the party. He is always left out.

Awesome that you guys did precursor orb statues though, would have been cool to get that in a Jak collection collectors edition.

+ K3ViNPwNz- on December 26th, 2011 at 12:39 am said:

Naughtydog.The only devs that really care about there fans!I LOVE U GUYS!I HAVE PLATINUMED ALL UNCHARTED GAMES n am looking forward to playing Last of us as you can see from my avatar.Merry christmas to ND and Happy New Years soon!

+ jnel17jun on December 26th, 2011 at 2:12 am said:

freaking amazing uncharted series!!!
can’t wait for uncharted: golden abyss on PSVITA (i know they aren’t the same devs, but can’t wait)
also looking forward for The Last Of Us!!!
BEYOND!!!!

+ burnlife308 on December 26th, 2011 at 2:13 am said:

I was just curious as to were Drakes right hand disappeared to and Chloe looks to be enjoying herself I was hoping to see that bandicoot crashing the party but I guess him and Jak are out on the town

+ Butters360 on December 26th, 2011 at 2:16 am said:

Man, I just re-beat UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves as part of my UNCHARTED marathon and the game STILL leaves me fulfilled. The ending banter between Nathan and Elena is just perfect, kudos to Amy Henning for the writing.

+ Razzelmire on December 26th, 2011 at 6:06 am said:

Enjoy it…until the end. Very anticlimactic, I was sorely disappointed.

+ Ecks on December 26th, 2011 at 7:14 am said:

I’m hoping for a new Jak & Daxter game. It’s a shame we haven’t gotten one on the PS3 yet! (The upcoming rumored compilation doesn’t count…)

+ THX1138 on December 26th, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

Awesome job to all the talent at Naughty Dog for a successful Release of Uncharted 3. it was a question of WHEN the team was going to grow bigger to give us more awesomeness of the Talent that naughty Dog possesses. So now that 2 team exists, What are the Official Names? Naughty Dog and Naughty Pup? looking forward for PS4 first offerings.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 26th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

Ha. It’s all Naughty Dog. The two teams share ideas and resources and we all move and work as a whole.

+ THX1138 on December 26th, 2011 at 7:46 am said:

one last Thing… the PS Vita is AMAZING, I’m a gamer on both sides of the pond. Uncharted Golden Abyss is a great experience that Sony Bend was able to capture Naughty Dog’s feel and excitement . maybe theres Ratchet and clank on the PS Vita future…

+ onslaughtree on December 26th, 2011 at 7:55 am said:

Happy Holidays Everyone.
I have to say, Uncharted 3 is at the top of my list for G.O.T.Y.
The single player story is at the top of its game. Well crafted, full of suprizes and the controls are spot on.
But the multi player is what puts this game ahead of the rest. soooo many new features. some taken from other games, some all new and it makes for an awesome combintion.
Great job Naughty Dog.
Enjoy your holiday.

+ DION3TO on December 26th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

Happy Holidays for you too, Naughty Dog team. I just totally wanna thank you guys for such an amazing 2011 with Uncharetd 3. This game is among the top 5 best games of my gaming life (I am currently 25 y.o. and I been through a lotta in this industry since the end of the 80s).

I cant wait to see what you guys can do with The Last of Us. I already have such a great hype surrounding it. I hope and I have that feeling tis gonna be, again, of the PS3 best exclusive games out there. Keep on bringin’ them.

My wishes are lots of success and happiness to all of the team.
Andrei.

+ mohand1999 on December 26th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

Merry Christmas 4 everyone

+ xrictocGr on December 26th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

Oh i just can`t wait for Last of us…it`s gonna be epic :D

+ RENOO-80 on December 26th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

I would like to Jak and Daxter in there .
oh, and Crash too!!!

+ KILLO31 on December 26th, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

I got a white ps3 slim MW3 assassins creed revalations and a 20.9 euro psn card, I wanted to get borderlands game of the year bundle but it’s 20.99 euro IM 90 CENTS OFF CMON !. Merry christmasevery one at the blog and all the playstation fans :)

+ Heavenly_king on December 26th, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

+ PSWii2008 on December 26th, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

I got U3 as well for Christmas, in addition to Batman: AC and the ICO/SOTC collection. Unfortunately, I can’t play any of them since I am formatting my new 500 GB hard drive on my PS3. I had to do the full format since the quick one wouldn’t work when I tried to restore my data. It should be done around 5 am tomorrow. Even then, it may take a few hours to try and restore my data again. :(

At least I have Zelda; Skyward Sword, my 3DS games, and the Steam sale to occupy my time! And the 1st season of Community on DVD!

+ burnsideking24 on December 26th, 2011 at 4:31 pm said:

There’s something wrong with that picture… You’re missing Crash Bandicoot’s cast and Jak & Daxter’s cast! It’s not much of a party or a family without them =(

+ GamerKid700 on December 26th, 2011 at 4:55 pm said:

Enjoy your time off guys! You’ve deserved it, thanks for another exceptional year! I can’t wait for The Last of Us, know this ND, this fan is gonna pre-order it day one!

Love you guys, be safe!

-Kris

+ Buckis2002 on December 26th, 2011 at 8:23 pm said:

I got Uncharted 3 for Christmas and beat it today (I started it today and beat it) and it is a beautiful looking game definitialy very good

+ slydaniels on December 26th, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

@ K3ViNPwNz- Now I wouldn’t say that.

+ JonJonXD on December 26th, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

I actually played Uncharted 3 over my 3 day weekend and let me tell you, overall, I was impressed.

The story was easily the best of the 3 games. Good job guys and keep it up.

I’ll have to play Golden Abyss!

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

+ Freakservo on December 27th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

…No Jak & Daxter love? None whatsoever? =(

+ saab01 on December 27th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

Naughty Dog their is an issue when pressing select in game while playing Uncharted 3. It shows me as lvl 55 without legacy why does it do this? But when I go back to the main screen it shows my legacy. Something to look into.

The last of Us is looking great I hope you guys have enough time to work on it and make it the best game of 2012.

+ Matrix_Lion on December 27th, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

Naughty Dog you do superb work. I’m really looking forward to The Last of Us. Take Care

+ kobrafan79 on December 27th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

When are you going to balance the fal? im tired of being shot to death instantly

+ tonydamiani on December 27th, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

LOVE the Painting xDDD Welcome the Last of Us to the Uncharted Crazy Family ^^

+ johnnysart on December 27th, 2011 at 10:22 pm said:

Just beat Uncharted 3 on crush – I loved it. I can’t wait for the last of us. Thank you Naughty Dog.

+ Morphone on December 27th, 2011 at 10:52 pm said:

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year to a state of the art vg developer!

Loved Uncharted 1+2. Still trying to get every trophy. Haven’t played 3 yet but I plan on it as soon as I get some time as I obviously had to pick it up after all the unanimously overwhelmingly positive reviews but it’s still in the shrink-wrap.

Imo, the fact that you guys were able to best Uncharted 1 with 2 was no small feat – but doing it twice (making a better sequel than #2) is mighty impressive.

Oh and ‘The Last of Us’ looks stunning. I cannot wait to give that a go – keep up the solid work and happy holidays!

+ Insomnia999 on December 28th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

Just beat Uncharted 3! Thank you!! Had a smile on my face the whole time! My GOTY

+ Slipknotdayof9 on December 28th, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

I’m a bit late, but MERRRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HOLIDAYS NAUGHTY DOG! I got Uncharted 1-3 for Christmas and am loving it. I also downloaded Crash Bandicoot 1, and its just as epic as I remember it.

+ twistedfloyd on December 28th, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays to all the readers and to you, Naughty Dog! Thank you for another exceptional game, and while Among Thieves is my favorite of the series, U3 did some amazing things.

Can’t wait to see DLC and more Last of Us news! Rest Naughty Gods, I mean Dogs, and then get back to cranking out some of the industry’s best!

+ modernracers on December 29th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL PS3 FANS AND SONY

+ modernracers on December 29th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

If you are looking for a great game to buy get Unchated 1 and 2.It is a fun adventure.For people who like shooting games you will like it.In number one you learn about the island he is on.In 2 he is in India!Two has lots of action and fire.My favuorite part is when you have to run away from a car that is chaseing you.

BEST GAME EVER

+ Mario8877 on December 29th, 2011 at 9:42 pm said:

Happy holidays Naughty Dog! I hope ya’ll enjoy your well deserved breaks! For Christmas I got the thing that was at the top of my list: Uncharted 3! (As of yesterday I beat it and every other Uncharted game on “Crushing” difficulty. My life is complete. Hahahaha! *Ahem* Anyways. I hope The Last of Us is as awesome as it looks! You haven’t failed to amaze me yet, keep up the good work!

+ iamseandroid on January 1st, 2012 at 10:25 pm said:

I could have swore the first half of that trailer was live action. Naughty Dog, you consistently blow my mind!

+ Cloud_X1 on January 4th, 2012 at 11:07 pm said:

I know this is a very late reply but i really hope you answer me or at least see this.
1. What happened to elimination? :( i really miss it
2. why did you guys not include unlockables for the single player, it feels bad man :(
Please bring this back somehow, if possible

+ aidan1511 on January 8th, 2012 at 6:01 am said:

Hiya Naughty Dog Happy new year! ive really enjoyed playing Uncharted 3 and cant stop playing it! best game by far! looking foward to The Last Of Us, and some DLC for UC3 ;) :)

PAGE 1 2