Until Dawn

Dec 28

A Twisted Metal Message from David Jaffe

Chad Cox's Avatar Posted by Chad Cox on Dec 28, 2011 // Producer, Twisted Metal

Hey all, we have a special holiday message from David Jaffe, Co-Director of the new Twisted Metal and co-founder of Eat Sleep Play.

While Dave and the team are hard at work finishing up Twisted Metal, he wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy holiday and make a special holiday announcement!

+ bigz512 on December 28th, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

David Jaffe: you are like the Shigeru Miyamoto of Playstation. All of your games are proof video games can be art, albeit a quite gruesome art.

sadly, I woont be buying twisted metal day 1 :P With the PSVita coming out a week after, I dont feel I’d get enought time to enjoy the game as much as possible. but it’s still gonna be AMAZING

+ Kyleworks on December 30th, 2011 at 1:19 am said:

This is awesome news. Hopefully the games I have now can tie me over to this and Vita. The box art says limited edition. Does that mean the voucher makes it limited, or will there be a deluxe edition with a figure or something else? Stoked either way!

+ JC2THEL on December 30th, 2011 at 1:37 am said:

This is amazing news! I’ll never forget going to Sears when I was about 8 years old and playing the first Twisted Metal on this weird gray system. It seemed Alien like. I’ll never forget some older kid challenging me. Your typical Bart Simpson type wearing all black and a Guns N Roses t shirt.
He picked Hammer Head I picked Mr. Grim. And I beat him. I had to have this game. I remember Twisted Metal was one of the only games to have the Original DVD like case before Sony changed it to the CD Jewel Cases. I own every single Twisted Metal Game ever made since then. (yes the 989 studios ones too) All I know is that this game defines a lot of my childhood and memories. Day 1 purchase! Can’t wait.

P.S. Hope this game has a lot of DLC. I will buy probably every single one!

+ MrGamerz123 on December 30th, 2011 at 4:23 am said:

Will this game have an online pass?

+ KILLO31 on December 30th, 2011 at 5:04 am said:

Ain’t never played a twisted metaql game but I very close to buying this.

+ migueIcamargoHD on December 30th, 2011 at 5:07 am said:

If i pre-order this from Amazon i can get the Limited Edition, with Twisted Metal Black and Axel ¿?

+ cheesetoasty1999 on December 30th, 2011 at 6:47 am said:

Hi, Can i ask you a quick question please?

+ JonJonXD on December 30th, 2011 at 7:21 am said:

Wow, I actually did not expect a response. You sir, truly are the man.

After reading all of your replies, it’s good to see that you truly care about us fans and that we get the most for our money :). It’s honestly greatly appreciated, since a lot of big names don’t normally respond to us on here. I also like what you did there with my “Implication of Black release on PS2 classics” post :p.

I support a Sweet Tooth slasher movie. I would buy that in a heart beat (preferably on Blu Ray, but that’s just the videophile in me :P). Definitely push to make that happen.

+ JonJonXD on December 30th, 2011 at 7:21 am said:

I would love to see DLC support for the game. I’d gladly purchase extra cars (especially those from Twisted Metal 2, my favorite Twisted Metal).

I’m glad to see what you are doing with the single player. My friends and I were big on playing co-op, as well as taking turns playing through the single player so we could view the stories so it’s great that you guys are putting as much effort into those as you did in the previous games. It’s greatly appreciated, since the stories of the characters were the draw for me, the vehicular combat was just the icing on the cake ;) ).

Definitely keep up the good work and I can’t wait to see you online on release ;)

+ Harerazer on December 30th, 2011 at 7:47 am said:

Wow, I can’t believe you answered all of those posts, Jaffe. I originally bought my PS with Twisted Metal 2, my PS3 with Twisted Metal Black, and was truly disappointed that there wasn’t a TM game (from you) coming out on my PS3. Of all of the games I have played I can honestly say TM is the only series of which I own every console version/sequel Including, to my embarrassment TM3 and 4). When you announced the new TM at E3 I replayed TM Black over just to get back into it. My TM is already pre-ordered and I’m not upset at having to wait a bit so that you guys can polish it up. Thanks for treating your fans like people.

+ abe56 on December 30th, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

Hey Mr. Jaffe i Love the TM series anyways i have 2 questions
1. Will there be an online pass, i hope not because back in the day me and my friends were playin the hell out of TM
2. Will you be online on Valentines day? Can i add u?

+ cheesetoasty1999 on December 30th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

+ Nightmare_Lord on December 30th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

Jaffe thanks for getting back to me, can’t wait for the online, still love to know why all clowns lol. Also since it will have split screen local, are you support now or will in update Sony new simulview technology? from what I read this thing is pretty sweet, and with the price dropping I think more will have it. Also will TM support 3D because that would be sick.

+ spinthehizay on December 30th, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

I have a question, If your ps3 isn’t compatible with ps2 games. will TMB work?

+ RawReese on December 30th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

thanks jaffe i am waiting for this game

+ bob-maul on December 30th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

Hey Jaffe! You are my favorite guy in the game industry because you say it how it is and you are a rational person. You do not pull a peter molyneux and overhype your game and you talk to the core players here on the blog with full responses. You make great games and are just amazing for the industry.

Anyway… with Twisted Metal, how well implemented is clan support? I am just interested in how the community will the fuel the game after release. Warhawk is still heavily supported by its fans and I think great community interaction and developer support could keep this game going for years. What other ways are you guys going to work to keep players playing?

+ EderC on December 30th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

So is content the only thing that could potentially hold back Twisted Metal: Black vouchers from being available in European copies of the game? SCEE posted a very informative article a couple of months ago that mentioned sometimes copyrights also get in the way of PSone Classics availability. Those Rolling Stones aren’t causing trouble, are they?

+ Phaetill on December 30th, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

Hey,I have never posted on the blog here before,but usually read it pretty often from the update emails I get…Just wanted to say I had the original TM and one of the first games I got my dad to play with me when I was younger was TM2,good memories. Point is I didn’t know if I was going to get the new TM at launch because the Vita comes out a little over a week after,but seeing how you posted back to almost everyone who wrote & with your kick ass attitude over the game I’ll make sure I have another $60 come launch day,keep it up man & good job the game looks FUN and most games nowadays generally don’t for me :) add me on psn if you have room on your friends list good sir. PSN: Phaetill

+ Demonic_Clown on December 30th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

I was going to buy this anyways but having TM: Black as a bonus really makes it that much better, Black had to be my favorite of the series for the atmosphere of it. Who else would be doing this besides insane people? That’s why I was so glad you guys went and made this one Mature instead of the original Teen, it just wouldn’t have felt the same.

+ BEASTXJASON on December 30th, 2011 at 8:14 pm said:

Delay was great. Now it comes out on my birthday and is for sure a day one buy :0 I had my son when black came out so never got to play it. this is great news. good to see the fan love. Last title in the series I had time to play was on the playstation so to say Im eager is an understatement. Can not wait. The videos you have of the main characters was an amazing collection btw, really gets me hyped

+ iwantpancakes on December 30th, 2011 at 9:52 pm said:

What amazing news! Thank you! Love the cover too!

+ iseeme2 on December 31st, 2011 at 1:05 am said:

twisted metal is the first game i ever played and now its the first game i ever preorderd :D
P.S Xbox Sux
P.S.S why cant i find any info on the ppl who died and was the reason why Twisted Metal Black2 was cancelled, i can only find it on Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted Edition.

+ iseeme2 on December 31st, 2011 at 1:11 am said:

BTW you know they really care about the gamers becouse David Jaffe replied so many times and answered ppl’s questions straight up

+ maartyrr on December 31st, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

Thanks so much Dave – can’t wait to play the new TM. Any thoughts about putting a count down clock on your website? Keep up the goodwork!

+ eternaldemon on December 31st, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

i seen sony out twisted metal 2 on the playstation store, when is twisted metal one going to be in the store. This is my favorite of the series.

+ Dharos on December 31st, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

Mr. Jaffe, you are THE MAN, definitely getting this game, cheers!

+ Killzone_war14 on December 31st, 2011 at 10:02 pm said:

Can’t wait for Feb 14 on Valentine’s Day!!!! :D I love Twisted Metal Fans and series!!!!! I ready for New twisted Metal Online!!!! :) New Year 2012!!! David Jaffe!! :)

+ lraqisoldierboy on January 1st, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Its a big disappointment that this epic game will not support 3D !!! Whaaaaaay ?

+ EVL_Ripper on January 1st, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Ah this is awesome, thanks Mr. Jaffe and thank you Sony. I look forward to being able to play 2 fantastic Twisted Metal games on Feb 14th!

+ xCHAMOx on January 1st, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

This was a great post. It is nice to see a developer actually taking the time to sit down and genuinely interact and communicate with the fans. This kind of dedication increases my faith in your ability to create and maintain a quality title with lasting value.

We gamers are probably the most dedicated and supportive audience of any medium (and this is coming from a massive film fan/aspiring director!), and it is great that you recognize that. Devs today could learn something from this.

+ slojoe17 on January 1st, 2012 at 2:02 pm said:

AW kick ass, this i have been waiting for i got the original ps1 Twisted metal and was instantly hooked got tm 2 and even the less entertaining 3&4 which were disappointing in some ways then black was awesome head on i got for the psp and even the EXTRA TWISTED edition for PS2 i still have all of the games in mint condition and still play them all the time CANT WAIT and thank you Jaffe for having such a brilliant mind and creating some amazing games! i just pre-order it!

+ UR_GREAT_GRANDAD on January 1st, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

twisted metal and starhawk are the are the games that i’m really looking forward to this year, anyway happy new year to everyone and sony and Jaffe too ofcourse…

+ Badong6 on January 1st, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

This is so cool! I remember when I picked up and played my first copy of Twisted Metal one. It was by far the coolest, most twisted, and most revolutionary game I’ve ever played! :) You are amazing Jaffe, I’m sure you know this but always remember that your fans will always support you! By the way, will a demo of Twisted Metal be released? and if so, when will it be? Happy holidays!

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on January 1st, 2012 at 8:02 pm said:

Hey David I need to ask a question for a friend of mine who’s been a fan since the first game. Is there any chance of a PS3 bundle with Twisted Metal? I had to lie and say yes. Haha. He only bought it for Twisted Metal and it was pushed back. He’s since sold his PS3 but would buy another when this game is released. If it was bundled though, that would be a guarantee buy from him. I already pre-ordered it myself. Not sure if I will be getting this limited edition though. Amazon hasn’t revealed any information on that sadly. They need a swift kick to the nuts if I don’t get the limited edition. Thanks by the way! Twisted Metal is the best game series ever. People really need the return of the old. Return of the boom bap.

+ TurtleMelester on January 2nd, 2012 at 1:06 am said:

i remember when we first got the ps1 twisted metal on my brothers birthday and it was my 2nd video game ever i think because before that we only played sonic for years. it was such a good game! something funny is i remember my dad trying to play co op and he always looked down on the controller to press a button and he looked like the biggest noob.

then i remember years later my brother told me about twisted metal black and i was excited as hell. always going into radio shack and seeing the price was stuck at 69.99$ for like 2 years!! finally my parrents agreed that i was allowed to get M rated viceo games (this was my first M game ever) i was 9 or something like that

but when i played this was deffinatly the best TM game ever for the single player experience. the atmosphere and mood was crazy and the gameplay was fun. then TM for ps3 was announced and i was so excited screaming at my pc

well im almost 18 now but ya TM forever lol

+ TurtleMelester on January 2nd, 2012 at 1:08 am said:

oh ya and im really glad you guys went rated M instead of teen. though if u already started doing the movies while it was rated teen how awesomly rated m will this game be? i mean is it anything like black for atmosphere or is it still that twilight zone

+ ABOOD_513 on January 2nd, 2012 at 2:52 am said:

awesome :D cant wait for it <3 .. and jaffe i have a question is twisted metal black have a online gameplay ? i hope it is :)

+ colletes on January 2nd, 2012 at 7:44 am said:

Hey Jaffe, awesome news! Can’t wait to unleash some hell on PSN! =D

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on January 2nd, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

Jaffe said he doesn’t want an Online Pass for this game, hopefully this will be the case, but maybe Sony will force it

+ DarnedNut on January 2nd, 2012 at 7:56 pm said:

Hello jaffe!

I Love twisted metal games!, when i was younger i used to play TM 4 on ps1 til my mom smashed my ps1 lol, I’m from Canada and i’ve noticed theres no limited edition TM in the canadian stores anywhere, only US, is there going to be any sign of limited edition in Canada at all? Because Twisted metal is awesome, i love it and axel was one of my favourite vehicles in the #4, i have also played TM 2, i have played TM Black it was awesome but i only played it at a friends house because i didn’t own a ps2, any chance it will come to stores in Canada as well?

Thanks, DarnedNut. =)

+ kingofirony on January 2nd, 2012 at 8:08 pm said:

i cancelled my pre order when i heard it was delayed,i need to go back out and pre order again.this game looks to good to pass up.hope to see you all online Feb 14.

+ viper56245 on January 2nd, 2012 at 9:10 pm said:

Loved this game played it since TM1 in PS1 good times…. I cant wait for this game pre-ordered it, waiting for Axel, TMB voucher code, and maybe Thumper DLC, or any character even though Thumper is my favorite. Anyways cant wait.

+ siriusbee on January 2nd, 2012 at 10:19 pm said:

What the hell did I do to get blocked from your Twitter?

+ ULRA-1- on January 3rd, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

Let’s make babies jaffe

+ mcksalg on January 3rd, 2012 at 8:01 am said:

WOOOO TMB is epic!

Is it me or does No Face look like Bruce Willis?

+ EPRaider08 on January 3rd, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

Definitely picking this up day one. I’ve been a huge Twisted Metal fan ever since playing TM1 back in the day. Can’t wait to try this one out.

+ Seiven on January 3rd, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Whoa language alert @ 1:06 – love you Jaffe, but I have a kid now and have to watch what his little ears hear. Glad I was watching this without him, but truly excited and looking forward to this release…I was most upset by having to give up my Shadow of the Colossus and TM:B when I finally gave up my PS2, I got back my SotC with the HD remake and will be able to play some TM:B again when I pick this up day 1. You guys at Eat Sleep Play are awesome!!

+ Haseo_Uchiha on January 3rd, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

I can’t wait for this game’s release, I played all the TM games and I cherish all of them. I remember when I was only about 12 years old and I played the heck out of TM2, Twister was my favorite car. Playing this new Twisted Metal game will bring back that little evil kid inside of me that has been sleeping since TM:B, the evil kid that liked chasing down other cars and blowing the hell out of them up. This Feb is going to so nostalgic.

Oh and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a Twisted Metal game for the PS VITA! In fact, please make it your next project! Would be awesome to see a TM game on such a beasty-gaming mobile device.

Also it be awesome if DarkTooth made an appearance in the game.

+ AvPPie123 on January 4th, 2012 at 5:14 pm said:

I can’t wait! i used to play the twisted metal all the time with my friends it was so fun! i will be getting this day 1!

+ mercenary24 on January 4th, 2012 at 7:43 pm said: