PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Happy Holiday Wishes from thatgamecompany

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Dec 29, 2011 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Happy Holidays, PlayStation Bloggers! (Or are readers considered to be “bloggies”?)

We just hit a major milestone on Journey, and are super excited to take a brief break – when we return it will be pedal to the medal to finish it up and get it out to you! Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive over the last THREE YEARS (our longest project yet!). Your support really does make all the difference, and I can’t say “thank you” enough on behalf of everyone at thatgamecompany.

Because 2011 was such a long and intense year for us, we had a bit of a mellow party to just relax, hang out, and eat some good food.

TGCers gathering around Robin's dining room table
TGCers gathering around Robin’s dining room table

We gathered with friends at TGC member Robin Hunicke’s house in Venice. A few family members happened to be in town and joined the festivities…..

Jenova Chen and his mother
Jenova Chen and… his mother! Who is visiting from Shanghai.

Although the event was meant to be low-key, I really wanted to give the team something great this year as a gift, in honor of the incredible work they do everyday, which completely humbles me. However, I am terrible at gifts, and have useless hobbies, like playing board games. Thankfully, Robin came to the rescue with an awesome idea, and the mad skills to make it happen. (Side note – when the apocalypse happens I’m making a bee-line for Robin. She’s the kind of person who knows how to PH soil properly to grow crops, how to build her own house, make a battery… I don’t know what I will provide but somehow this all works out great in my mind.)

Robin and our lead artist, Matt Nava, snuck out after work one day to begin the project. They chose the fabrics and paints that would be required to set things in motion. Then, over the course of a few weekends and Robin’s stint with the flu a couple of weeks ago, it all came together…..

photo (7)

You can probably guess where we’re headed now?

Robin sewed together the fabrics and Matt made the stencils for the symbols… which is unique for each person, and all directly from Journey.

photo (6)

They even made matching boxes!

And here are the final results…. of the real-life Journey scarves!

DSC_2277

Happy Holidays from thatgamecompany! See you in 2012!

34 Comments

+ DarkSeraphim666 on December 29th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

-_- Really…Way to REMIND me that we still don’t know when this game is coming out.
I’m certainly still waiting on it but lemme know when YOU know. Otherwise, shhhhh.

+ DwightSchrute12 on December 29th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

LOVE the scarves, very creative. Looking forward to having my own in-game next year!

+ Anddo on December 29th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

Happy Holidays! We love you guys. Looking forward to your next project.

+ GS01R on December 29th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

Can’t wait for Journey. Enjoy the break! And by the way, AWESOME scarves. LOVE the symbols.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on December 29th, 2011 at 10:12 am said:

Is there anything beyond a zero percent chance that I’ll be able to purchase a Journey scarf sometime in the future?

+ crazy_kracker1 on December 29th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

happy holidays and also if there is a collectors edition throw in one of those scarves

+ Zezzler on December 29th, 2011 at 10:18 am said:

Happy Holidays to everyone at thatgamecompany! You guys are fantastic, and your games are outstanding! I wish you all the best of health.

+ lisatsunami on December 29th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

Happy New Year to the very small (shockingly small if that group photo is a true indication) indie dev that makes intelligent, completely original, beautiful games.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Journey was also a Vita game, so you could be walking down the street or riding the subway & you spot another Vita gamer, maybe wearing a Journey scarf & maybe it’s the same player as your in-game companion & you could say hello, nod or ignore him just like in-game. Awesome possibilities.

Take as long as you need to polish your gem. Genius should not be rushed.

+ guitarded77 on December 29th, 2011 at 12:30 pm said:

@ Kellee Santiago
You do realize that it’s “pedal to the metal” and not “pedal to the medal” right? Anyway, can’t wait to go on this Journey.

+ Rinaldus91 on December 29th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

You guys seem like an incredibly awesome and tight-knit(pun!) team to work with. Glad to see you had an awesome holiday party, and I–as many others–absolutely cannot wait for Journey’s release.

Hope to hear from you again soon!

+ KaptainFlemming on December 29th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

Dear godddd, when is this game outtt, ive been waiting forever
I still love flower

+ Fusion13 on December 29th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Hey awesome guys,Happy Holidays. Those scarfs are really cool. It would be nice to have one. I thought the Journey “beta” was really unique.

Those scarfs should go on sale, or be like an special edition item.

+ Elvick_ on December 29th, 2011 at 1:28 pm said:

Can’t wait, but will have to wait with patience and… and at times no patience at all. D; I can’t help it. Your games are just magical.

Hope everyone at thatgamecompany has a wonderful new year, and break from the grindstone of development. <3

+ neuronmini on December 29th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

That sounds like a swell Christmas :3

+ kolek3922 on December 29th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

looks great!!

+ Permafry_42 on December 29th, 2011 at 8:37 pm said:

I really want those scarves too, but I’m still waiting for the thatgamecompany art book, so make the scarves available for the public after that! =D Thatgamecompany is easily my favourite developer for PlayStation and Journey is the game I want to get my hands on most before the inevitable apocalypse. As someone who has play Cloud, flOw, Flower, and the beta for Journey, Thatgamecompany in my humblest opinion is the developer that best proves that video games are an art form, and i was very glad to hear that they made it into Smithsonian American Art Museum, since they have rightfully deserved their place there since their release of Cloud! Hope you never stop making these masterpieces of game development, and eagerly look forward to playing the full game of Journey!

+ twistedfloyd on December 29th, 2011 at 9:47 pm said:

Flower remains one of the better games I’ve played this gen, and one of the most original games ever created. Can’t wait to see what Journey brings us! Sounds like a good holiday party, hope all at TGC had a great holiday!

+ Kchow23 on December 29th, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

Happy Holidays to everyone at TGC! Really looking forward to Journey in 2012 and the many games that I hope you guys develop. P.S I’m soo jealous about those Journey scarfs!!

+ FonFahbre on December 29th, 2011 at 11:35 pm said:

Happy holidays guys!. : )

+ Matrix_Lion on December 30th, 2011 at 12:59 am said:

Take Care & God Bless!

+ gus_xl on December 30th, 2011 at 6:24 am said:

Good job on the scarves!

+ ro-kurorai on December 30th, 2011 at 8:34 am said:

Wow, amazing job! TGC certainly breathes style =)

I’m thrilled to read that you are progressing well with development and can’t wait for an official release date. Journey is probably the most interesting, and artistically beautiful game I ever laid my eyes on and those gorgeous graphics prove your experience with the system.

Upon inspecting the scarves I’d like to ask whether each individual player will get a unique pattern?
Are they randomized/customized for each player or do you design a certain amount of patterns to cycle through. I’m just curious whether my pattern will be unique to my avatar or shared with other adventurers ;)

Happy New Year.

+ BigRon3400 on December 30th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

Is Journey ever going to be released? Seems like has been talked about forever now. I loved Flower so I can’t wait to give Journey a try.

+ JonJonXD on December 30th, 2011 at 9:13 am said:

Happy Holidays to you guys as well.

Can’t wait to see the new game!

+ Surfaced on December 30th, 2011 at 9:13 am said:

Love you guys. Keep it up… eagerly awaiting more Journey/TGC news. Happy New Years!

+ Live-n-Laugh on December 30th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

It’s great to get to see the genius behind Flower; can’t wait for Journey! Thanks for the joyous play!

+ Boxster17 on December 30th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

Happy Holidays! Hoping you guys will have more info to share regarding Journey in the near future. You got me hooked on it with that beta and have been waiting anxiously for the release ever since. Keep up the good work, you guys truely offer a unique gaming experience that I love!

+ coconutshinobi on December 31st, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

Hope you all have a great new year!

+ symmetryinmotion on December 31st, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

I love the work you guys do, and I can’t wait to play Journey. This post made me smile. Thank you, and Happy Holiday wishes to everyone at thatgamecompany!

+ WilliamFuchs420 on December 31st, 2011 at 8:10 pm said:

While ive loved what ive seen of journey so far if its anything like your previous games its gona be short on gameplay not exactly a bad thing but its taken three years to make? What is that an hour each year

+ StarFoxMania on January 2nd, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

Because of my involvement with my other hobby, I rarely get time my PS3 now, but Journey is 1 of those experiences that I definitely will make time for: Flow was boring as hell (SORRY, lol), Flower was okay, but Journey I know I will LOVE for the longest time I can remember. My guts have never lied to me.

+ sionllj on January 2nd, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

Even though I’m already gonna get this game, I’ll be even more excited* for this game if it comes to Vita.
*If it’s possible!

+ siriusbee on January 2nd, 2012 at 10:30 pm said:

iLike the jeans that the older woman is wearing.

+ wcoastsands on January 5th, 2012 at 4:21 am said:

Wow! These are great! What do each of the symbols mean? Or do they have meaning? I think I’m going to make one of these myself. Love the idea.

Can’t wait for the game to come out. My wife and I were hosting a visiting med student while they were interviewing the last two days. She’s also a gamer but hadn’t heard of the those by thatgamecompany. Took the opportunity to introduce her to Flow and Flower, and of course raved about Journey. She was amazed by the games and was surprised she hadn’t heard of them before. She’s completely hooked now.

Thanks for sharing with us. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year :-)