PS4-Watch_Dogs

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Hits This Month for $39.99

Brian Dunn's Avatar + Posted by Brian Dunn on Jan 06, 2012 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

I’m happy to announce Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition, a brand-new version of Gran Turismo 5 packed with even more features, functionality, and content. Here’s what you can expect to find inside when it rolls out to stores starting January 17th:

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition for PS3

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Contents

• Original Gran Turismo 5 game, featuring more than 1,000 cars, 20+ locations with 70+ track layouts, diverse racing styles including rally, track, karting, NASCAR, and more, deep online community features and online racing, plus Gran Turismo TV, Course Maker and more.
  • All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.
  • Voucher good for over $20 worth of DLC content, including the Racing Car Pack, Car Pack 2, Course Pack, Racing Gear Pack, and Paint Pack.

The XL Edition will also feature a new reversible inside coversheet featuring the new Red Bull X2011 supercar, to add a different look to your game library shelf.

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition for PS3: Reversible Coverslip

You’ll be able to pick up the XL Edition of Gran Turismo 5 after January 17 for just $39.99. Watch the blog and the official GT website for more news about Gran Turismo, DLC, and new Gran Turismo TV content available exclusively within the game.

PAGE 1 2

+ MarinoBrea on January 6th, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

Very cool, nice package and lots of value.

+ kivi95 on January 6th, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

Great for people who have yet to buy the game! :D

+ remanutd5 on January 6th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

great avatar , my 2 best racing games this generation !!!! Motorstorm Apocalypse and Gran Turismo 5

+ DrPhiill on January 6th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

Wow, that is really nice! will get this one for sure, dont know why but never got around to get it when it was released! now i dont really have any reason why i should run down to the store and get this! :D

+ nvisionmd on January 6th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

I think I’ll have to get this one. Seems like a great value at that price too!

+ MrMortality on January 6th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

So I guess buying the CE on launch day wasnt enough? Damn why do people do this? Same as DVD rereleases, you buy the same damn thing over again 3 times because there are ‘unreleased features’ that noone else gets!

+ Metalmurphy on January 6th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

Dear Sony, please make those reversible coversheet mandatory for all games. It’s fine that you want to promote the game when it’s sitting in store shelves, but when it’s on our shelves it’s just plain convoluted and ugly.

+ Exalted_Knight on January 6th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

I love being an early adopter! You want it first you pay full price because you are loyal to them! You show them support! Nice Cover Art! Would love to see that as a Dynamic Theme surrounded with tire smoke! Keep the awesome updates coming! Also would love to see a Gran Turismo make its way to the PlayStation Vita!

+ Metalmurphy on January 6th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

@MrMortality: There’s nothing that no one else gets here.

+ guitarded77 on January 6th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

Great buy for anyone who doesn’t have it yet… I pre-ordered GT5 way back when and still play it at least once a week. Best racing sim available.

Brian Dunn's Avatar

+ Brian Dunn on January 6th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Thanks! Glad you’re enjoying the game! Hope you’ve enjoyed some of the cool programming in Gran Turismo TV as well.

+ SLY12 on January 6th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Still not worth it. This game was the biggest disappointment for me this generation. I think if anyone had been following this game from release, you know what gripes the community had/has with the product. Some of them were tried to be addressed, such as an interior view for all standard cars, but really, Polyphony Digital’s solution to this concern wasn’t really appropriate. There are other problems like the graphics. Other than the ‘premium’ cars looking great, the shadows and courses look like ps2, to go along with the standard cars. There are other things that I had concerns over, but I won’t go into them now. All I know is if I waited this long for GT5, then I’m not a true fan. It was long enough waiting until release initially. This is maybe a good deal for a casual fan of simulation racing, but the real GT fans who have purchased every edition of the game since ps 1, already have this game and have been disappointed by it. Better luck with GT 6.

+ Neo-CTU on January 6th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

Will This be available on PlayStation Network ?

Brian Dunn's Avatar

+ Brian Dunn on January 6th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

No, due to the massive size of the game, it wouldn’t be feasible to release as a downloadable game. One thing you get with this disc is all of the downloadable updates through Spec 2.0 (from October) right on the disc, so you don’t have to have up to 2 GB of updates sitting on your hard drive. And of course you get the October and December DLC for free with the voucher.

+ Exalted_Knight on January 6th, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

@11 so what your saying is when you stand outside of a skatepark in the middle of july.. your shadow is like the graphics on ps2 right… I kid I kid! Lets not Jump onto GT6.. Keep the updates and physics to this game! Long Live PlayStation!

+ materclobber on January 6th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

i was thinkin about gettin this soon. i’m pretty sure i’ll get this

+ Annoyin_Egg on January 6th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

y pero entonces las personas como yo que hayamos comprado la versión del juego anterior no vamos a poder acceder a las características adicionales sino compramos la nueva versión de juego ?

+ Cat_Corye on January 6th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

Epic, my old one is in the red case.

+ shinjix2 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Anything new that Current GT5 Players can look forward to in a future DLC?

Brian Dunn's Avatar

+ Brian Dunn on January 6th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Nothing to announce at this time, but stay tuned. :D

+ OniEyes on January 6th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

PSN or no sale.

+ Riverbandit3 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

In my opinion, if you haven’t bought the game yet, you will be very far behind if you buy it now. I think the best time to buy the game was from the release day to February of 2011. People will be so far behind even with the DLC cars.

+ snakeeyes211 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Will the first edition ps vita’s little deviants be a full retail game or a downloadable?

+ blackoutscs on January 6th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

Congratulations Sony, your customer service told me to restore my system after 20 days of trying to install the CORRUPTED download of LA Noire. I was told that there was no risk of losing my save games and data but guess what?? My PS3 is telling me that I need to format the hard disk. EVERYTHING IS GONE!!. Again, congratulations for all the great support and for the ability of turning something bad on something awfull for your customers.

+ Riverbandit3 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

I’ve got nothing against Gran Turismo 5, I myself own the game. It’s the best Gran Turismo in my opinion since GT2!

+ Rodsvilaca on January 6th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

I’m waiting for this version is also released in Brazil …

+ CandyCaptain on January 6th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

I have to admit, that is a sweet package, will rebuy. If not for anything else but the already installed updates, very cool.

+ Vortuminius on January 6th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Alright, I’ll rebuy GT5.

+ reddr1964 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Is it coming to Europe?

+ SixStringPsycho on January 6th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Im buying this, but I have a question. Does my old save file works on this version? or do I have to start all over again?

+ RR11KKee96 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

COOL!

+ SixStringPsycho on January 6th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Does my old save file works on this version or do I have to start all over again?

+ graham20354 on January 6th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Any chance of current GT5 players getting $20 in DLC? as we all paide £40/$40 for it when it first came out?

+ TUSTIN1 on January 6th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

You may want to mention that the Canadian version WILL NOT contain the reversible cover since this IS supposedly the North American blog…

+ sk8allday101 on January 6th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

Will my old Vanilla GT5 saves work with this?

Brian Dunn's Avatar

+ Brian Dunn on January 6th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Yes, the save files are compatible between versions.

+ TUSTIN1 on January 6th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

I guess there’s no interest in clarifying whether or not the Canadian version will contain the reversible cover. I ask this every time there is mention of a reversible cover here on the blog but no one ever wants to admit that it pertains to the US version only.

Don’t get me wrong, a cover in itself is not a big deal, but falsely advertising what a product will contain is another story entirely. Since this is the North American blog, containing stories for all of North America, differences in packaging and what is included with each edition North and South of the border should be clearly stated especially when the author is an ‘Associate Product Marketing Manager’.

+ Hitokiri_03 on January 6th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

Congrats to the guy who had the idea of reversible cover, really beautiful reversible cover.

Too bad that I already have the game and DLCs :(

+ shadysaiyanz on January 6th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

While i like the idea, GT5 hasn’t even released enough DLC to warrant a “full” re-release.

+ Mr_Bipolar on January 6th, 2012 at 12:23 pm said:

This is awesome. I noticed more games are having all the DLC with it. And what a bargain. I noticed PSN is also bundling DLC. See this is what you should do. Bundling does help us. And hell, 1 DLC cost more than the bundle. Bundling helps me and helps me buying games.

This is making me satisfied.

+ Greenn_Arroww on January 6th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

:P I love how this came out after I picked the game up for Twenty bucks on boxing day. Good thing all the DLC and the game came to the same price as this package :P

+ MoonKnight2 on January 6th, 2012 at 12:51 pm said:

Is it better to get the XL edition or open the standard version I got for Christmas? I hear the license tests are more difficult post-patch, and I like getting gold in those tests for the extra cars. Any thoughts?

+ PirateHarlock on January 6th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Sly12 is right on this one. This game was 1 huge bitter dissapointment. It was not weeks but years late and when it arrived. When it did arrive all the “perfections” everyone waited for were non-existant. On top of that several problems still exist, notablly the crowd and tree graphics among others. Lackluster DLC a year in. This would be good for those who still wanted the game but don’t yet have it but those will be too few and far between. Those few of my friends (2 out of 100) who did get the game haven’t played it in 8 months at least. Theres no reason for fans of the game to get this, theres nothing here they don’t already have. Many more such as myself grew so disgusted with the delays and broken promises we just abandoned the series completely. I for one have played the whole series but this was the straw that broke the camels back.

+ themajestic-2 on January 6th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

thats amazing…ill pick it up whin i get vita

+ Shy_Guy92 on January 6th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

Dang I should have waited for this instead of buying GT5 on Black Friday. This re-release would save me about 10 GB on my HDD because all the updates are ready included on it.

+ Shy_Guy92 on January 6th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

@MoonKnight2
If you can still return it, I recommend to get the XL Edition. If you keep the Standard you have to download a crap load of updates. If you go with the XL all of those updates are already included in the disc so you don’t have t wait for them to install.

+ ShaggyUSM on January 6th, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

@SLY12 I have to agree completely. I’ve had every Gran Turismo since the beginning and GT5 has been the ONLY disappointment. I was so excited when they announced GT5… then it took forever to be released and in MY opinion, it’s no where near as good as GT3 or GT4 on PS2. The career mode was much better in GT3 & GT4. Way too many LOOOOONG races, too. And like SLY12 said, the shadows are HORRENDOUS! I wouldn’t even say they are PS2 quality, more like PS1 shadows. It ruins the whole visual effect! Absolutely horrible. The physics are great as usual, but not any better than GT3 or 4.
I have another system that I will not name and it has a racing simulation series of games that are simply better than GT5. If Sony comes out with a GT6 during the PS3′s life cycle, I hope it blows the competition (and especially GT5) away! Come on Sony/Polyphony: SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN REALLY DO!!!!!

+ FE_RR on January 6th, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

@Annoyin_Egg #15
no hay ningún contendio adicional, es el gran turismo 5 que ya trae incluidas todas las actualizaciones que fueron saliendo desde que salió en el 2010, solo es una recopilación con una reducción de precio

+ Yago_Zenx on January 6th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

well its cool that the game is getting release yet again for those who havent got it yet its like the game of the year versions of other games so its a great deal. but i just wnt to know if u get the game & download the DLC will it dissappear from your download list in the playstation store after some time because thats what happened to me i just notice this problem & im doing my resaearch to find out the cause if any one knows what this is about please let me know

+ S-E-G on January 6th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

this has to be the worst game Fony has ever put out

+ Dark_Yoda_313 on January 6th, 2012 at 1:42 pm said:

Wow, Mr. Dunn, too big for the PSN? How big is it, dare I ask? L.A. Noire clocks in at 13GB as a download!

+ TUSTIN1 on January 6th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

@43 the disc version has an optional install of somewhere between 6-10 gigs just to speed up loading so the game is as he says, huge…

+ JH-FallenReaper on January 6th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

hey im interested never played a sim before but is there a long mandatory update cause my connection is slow and im not willing to wait hours to play it if 3 gigs in my house take like 3-4 hours!

+ Mcgnnis on January 6th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

Man…if only there weren’t so many useless cars in GT5, it would’ve been the greatest Sim ever made..though still it is a lot of fun.

PAGE 1 2