PS4 - Transistor

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Hits This Month for $39.99

Brian Dunn's Avatar + Posted by Brian Dunn on Jan 06, 2012 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

I’m happy to announce Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition, a brand-new version of Gran Turismo 5 packed with even more features, functionality, and content. Here’s what you can expect to find inside when it rolls out to stores starting January 17th:

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition for PS3

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Contents

• Original Gran Turismo 5 game, featuring more than 1,000 cars, 20+ locations with 70+ track layouts, diverse racing styles including rally, track, karting, NASCAR, and more, deep online community features and online racing, plus Gran Turismo TV, Course Maker and more.
  • All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.
  • Voucher good for over $20 worth of DLC content, including the Racing Car Pack, Car Pack 2, Course Pack, Racing Gear Pack, and Paint Pack.

The XL Edition will also feature a new reversible inside coversheet featuring the new Red Bull X2011 supercar, to add a different look to your game library shelf.

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition for PS3: Reversible Coverslip

You’ll be able to pick up the XL Edition of Gran Turismo 5 after January 17 for just $39.99. Watch the blog and the official GT website for more news about Gran Turismo, DLC, and new Gran Turismo TV content available exclusively within the game.

PAGE 1 2

+ Sgt_0951 on January 6th, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

Preordered the Collectors Edition through Amazon (who also gave me bonus vehicles in addition to the CE ones) and bought all the DLC on release, so not for me.

Very good value for those who have yet to buy the game and are considering it, although I do agree that they will be very far behind if they waited until now to buy the game.

+ GGCAN on January 6th, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

If you don’t have this game, this is a GREAT deal !

+ Dennie on January 6th, 2012 at 3:40 pm said:

Dang it, I sold my PS3 a while ago…

+ Genexi2 on January 6th, 2012 at 4:46 pm said:

Was wondering when they’d come out with an updated release.

It was hard enough to deal with the massive install time, and the updates on top of that. This release should make it easier for new owners to bite into being able to skip the latter step. Added DLC and cheaper retail price are icing on the cake for them.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 6th, 2012 at 5:35 pm said:

I will wait for Spec III release with more and better DLC. Make the Bugatti Veyron a premium car already!!

+ dc4daniel on January 6th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

I was hoping this version included the Chrome series cars I missed out on. I would kill for the Chrome version of the Shelby Cobra :(

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on January 6th, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:

goodbye gamepro. hello new gran turismo.

+ Miss_Ann_Thrope on January 6th, 2012 at 7:35 pm said:

I’m came very close to getting GT5 this week believe it or not because I know a couple of friends to play the game and I wanted to join them. I’m glad I changed my mind in light of this development and look forward to the updated release.

+ Sponge-worthy on January 6th, 2012 at 8:10 pm said:

Given how I was treated by Customer Service regarding the DLC for GT5, I cannot exactly add an ringing endorsement for this title. Call it thread-crapping if you will, but I’ve never had a gaming experience so wholly ruined by poor support/service. Buyers beware.

+ Enigma777 on January 6th, 2012 at 9:22 pm said:

Terrible, terrible name but I love the reversible covers.

+ YungShep on January 6th, 2012 at 10:07 pm said:

i need this! i owned the original, bought it day 1, but it wasnt until March when i started experiencing it in 3D….oh my :) If you havent tried this in 3D……do it!

+ YungShep on January 6th, 2012 at 10:08 pm said:

oh and the reversible covers are epic, please make every AAA exclusive come complete with reversible covers!

+ Jakintosh on January 6th, 2012 at 10:11 pm said:

Oh my glob. That reversible box art. It’s so beautiful.

+ PremiumPencil on January 6th, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

sweet i have been looking into buying this game for a week now, guess i will wait another to get this great deal.

Consider it purchased from me!

+ PayneKiller1509 on January 7th, 2012 at 5:38 am said:

“One thing you get with this disc is all of the downloadable updates through Spec 2.0 (from October) right on the disc, so you don’t have to have up to 2 GB of updates sitting on your hard drive.”

OH THANK GOD!! The main reason I stopped playing GT5 was because I switched PS3′s some time ago, and now I have 2, and I just couldn’t be bothered with downloading all the updates again to each PS3.
The moment I heard of Spec 2.0 I begged on the forums for PD/Sony to re-release the game with all the updates right on the disc so they don’t have to be downloaded again, its simply what GT5 should have been on release anyway. I also gave away my copy to my cousin in the summer so this is like a wish of mine fulfilled.

+ elute on January 7th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

A question here.. Are original save files from GT5 compatible with GT5 XL?

+ Milano_II on January 7th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

I haven’t owned a console since PS 1. I bought the PS 3 this past Christmas, MOSTLY for GRAN TURISMO. I’ve missed the game for a long, long time! And this XL edition sounds just about right !

+ taz3267 on January 7th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

Okay I have bought the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, then Gran Turismo 5, now there is Gran Turismo 5 XL, so before I lay out another 40 dollars what would be the benefit for someone that already owns the previous versions? I really don’t mind spending the money but i just don’t want to buy what I already have. I am sure there are many others that have the same question.

+ MrGamerz123 on January 7th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

GT5 could definitely use some better damage effects on the cars. Will there be a patch that will fix this problem?

+ qwertyuiop357 on January 7th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

Darn, and I just got Gran Turismo 5! Oh well…

+ taz3267 on January 8th, 2012 at 12:14 am said:

I purchased Gran Turismo Prologue, Gran Turismo 5, and now there is Gran Turismo 5 XL, now before i shell out another $ 40.00 (which I dont mind doing if its worth it) could you tell me just what would I gain by purchasing this version? In other words, whats the advantages of buying this version?
Thanks

+ Toplinkar on January 8th, 2012 at 4:46 am said:

Thank you very much for this Sony. I was going to buy GT5 last Christmas but decided to save some money, now I’m glad I did. Hope you don’t mind that I’ll wait till the end of January to get this one thoguh. :P

+ LordRaoh on January 8th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

Very nice indeed. I might pick it up because I am a sucker for content on the disc as opposed having to download dlc/updates. I own the original release but I love updated copies. Great games with updates deserve a double dip purchase.

Now can someone get a message to Polyphony Digital for me? The Playstation 3 is ready for Trophy Tourism 2. Consider that another guaranteed purchase by me.

+ headronefish on January 8th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

@67: There’s no benefit to buying this version if you already own the game (except maybe for the added convenience of not having to re-download and install several GB of updates if you lose your game data or want to play in another PS3).
It’s the exact same game you already own, but with the updates already on disc and a voucher for the DLC that’s currently out.

+ mistasmooth25 on January 8th, 2012 at 10:02 am said:

I might just have to pick this up.

+ MaGeSlayer on January 8th, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

Didn’t GAMEPRO go out of business a month ago?

+ OO7Pliskin on January 8th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

Looks pretty good.

+ Maikelziito on January 8th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

I’ll be buying this the 18 :) So I’ll have my 50$ in Wallet before the 17 :P This will include the Black Red Bull?

+ supermariofan101 on January 8th, 2012 at 7:25 pm said:

It would be nice if this game could be on the PSN. How big would the game be size-wise if it was available on the PSN with the updates and DLC installed? I wouldn’t mind, I have a big HDD. I would prefer PSN because that way I don’t have to carry another game case. Please consider.

+ Matrix_Lion on January 9th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

I’ll probably get this, been holding off for a while.

+ PremiumPencil on January 12th, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

TUSTIN1 #33

Why the F**k don’t you go on the CA blog?. i am so sick of people from europe and other regions coming to the “US” BLOG and complaining so STF*

+ JOEYMAFIA26 on January 14th, 2012 at 10:48 pm said:

So were will it be sold psn store or gamestop?

+ Delta-64- on January 17th, 2012 at 5:56 pm said:

So is there an explanation as to why this did not show up in stores at all today????

+ Ikarum on January 18th, 2012 at 4:58 am said:

I’d like to what Delta said too. Money has already been taken out of my account and I don’t want to be left in the dust without a game for 4 weeks. Every news site said the 17th including this one.

+ JNava on January 18th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Can anyone explain? I went to Walmart, Best-buy, Target, Game-stop, Toys R Us and including Pet Smart and no one knows anything about the game at all or when they will have it available!!!! Whats the deal????

+ TTXaser2 on February 3rd, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Will there be a german localized version? Thanks in advance for your reply!

PAGE 1 2