PS4-Watch_Dogs

Shinobido 2 Developers Discuss the Sounds of Assassination

+ Posted by "Filthie" Rich Bantegui on Jan 06, 2012 // NAMCO BANDAI Games Community Manager

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen for PS Vita

Hello again, PS Vita fans! Hoping you enjoyed our premiere of the first Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen details not long ago. As promised, I’m back to share a post with you from our friends on the development team ACQUIRE Corp. Our friend Toshiko Tazaki has more details to share on how they shaped the tension and atmosphere in their upcoming assassin-thriller. Have a look and a listen down below, and stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog as we lead up to the game’s launch on February 22nd for more in-depth looks at how the team brought this killer game together on the PS Vita.

Toshio Tazaki, Sound Artist, Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (PSVita)

You may not think about it much when you are playing games, but creating tension and atmosphere takes a lot of work on the development side. I wanted to share with you a bit about how we did this in our game, Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen.

Music and sound production of Shinobido 2 was actually started with a mandate from our director, Abe-san, who asked us, “Why not enhance the melody and atmosphere on our music unlike any game we’ve done before?” Every day, I made considerable efforts to adjust the melody balance to make it better than the day before. Composers tend to be desperate to give their music something different when preparing soundtracks for a whole game.

When the project began, I aimed to produce a song each day…but sometimes I got stuck and more than a little bewildered! Once I finished half of the song writing, I came to realize more details of each character by checking each of the key event scenes in the game.

When I listened to the completed songs at first, I was very clear where they would be used in the game…but I sometimes changed my mind and replaced them with more suitable arrangements or created new songs for the parts that needed more emotion. It was quite enjoyable to produce the music for game events, and the more I thought about each character, the more inspired I was to really get the music right!

It is unusual for me to say this, but I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to keep composing and developing the sounds even after the project wrapped! I would like to thank the director for letting me take part in this title. :-) By the way, I’ll show you a photo related to the sound development here. Please have a look at this snap shot of music data displaying what it looks like when the main character is found by enemies in the game.

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen

You may be asking yourself, “What in the world is this?” What looks like just a pattern of .wav files is actually the full song, which I’d love to share with you below. It’s called “Detection.”

Well, that’s it from me. We’ll be back to share more on the development of Shinobido 2, and we hope that you enjoy the sounds of assassination when our game launches this February in the US and Europe. I can’t wait until you can all hear the rest! If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know, and if I can’t respond immediately, our friend FilthieRich can chime in! See you soon!

16 Comments   1 Reply

+ EmoSaga on January 6th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

I am extremely excited about this game!!! I have it pre-ordered along with my VITA (First edition Bundle) Games I also am getting: Uncharted Golden Abyss, Touch My Katamari, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, Little Deviants.

I can’t wait for the Vita! 39 more days!!!

+ Seiryuki2002 on January 6th, 2012 at 7:45 am said:

I really miss Tenchu. My favourites are Tenchu and Tenchu 2 (my best!). I’m really glad Acquire Corp is back on this Shinobido. Acquire are the masters of the stealth assassin genre.
I hope, sooner or later, that this game comes to the PSN.

Does this game have a Mission Editor? That is the most awesomest thing ever. If there is, I hope there is an infinity-wall block as Shinobido1 didn’t have that and it spoiled the linearity of the intended level design.

I won’t be getting a Vita anytime soon, and I don’t mind patiently waiting…..patiently waiting…….for a release on PSN. After all, that is the skill of a true ninja. So, I do hope to see it on PSN….and maybe someday a full Tenchu title for PS3 disc.

+ Conaaando on January 6th, 2012 at 7:53 am said:

Sounds good, literally! :-) It seems to be a complex, difficult process… This musical / art thing. But I’m enjoying the outcome.

+ Seiryuki2002 on January 6th, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

The Detection.mp3 sounded beautiful and tense but I like more of the boss-battle music and the ambient music. Those tend to be really excellent scores.
I also hope that there is at least an option to keep the Japanese voices with English subtitles….just in case I want it to feel authentic.

+ snakeeyes211 on January 6th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Will the first edition ps vita’s little deviants be a full retail game or a downloadable?

+ ItaChu on January 6th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

you need to step up the promo for the vita and its games sony….

+ Phaetill on January 6th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

@2 Tenchu-2 was the best IMHO :)

Also I am keeping myself from looking forward to this game too much,from the hands on previews I have read this game has gotten the worst rep,by faaar. I hope it’s good though,I miss the stealth style games of old.

+ Phaetill on January 6th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

Worst rep of Vita games I meant***

Still,I hope it’s good!!

+ Baron_Von_Bonbon on January 6th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

Question for big “filthie” rich: Is there much character customization (outfits and weapons)?

I never played the first so I’m wondering…

+ “Filthie” Rich Bantegui on January 6th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

Hey Baron – As you play through the game I would like to let you know that there are “Hidden” Outfits that you can equip for your character. We should be sharing a few awesome screenshots early next week.

+ Budapesti on January 6th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

I actually have the first Shinobido, which I bought as an import at Anime Expo in Los Angeles. It’s a great title, especially for fans of the early Tenchu games. I have no idea how ‘historically accurate’ the Shinobido series are – I suspect they’re more inspired by chanbara than actual events – but there’s a feeling of authenticity about them (which Tenchu has too), which I really love. Hope you included giant enemy crabs this time though, because we all know they existed in Edo period Japan.
This and WipEout will be the first Vita games for me, come launch day.

+ supvic on January 6th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

WHY is this coming to Vita and not PS3? what about all the original Tenchu and Shinobido players from the PS2 gen who don’t use portables? this is good enough to belong on PS3.

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on January 6th, 2012 at 7:03 pm said:

some hip hop would be nice.

+ WATERSTAND on January 7th, 2012 at 4:49 am said:

Of the five Japanese Vita games I own at the moment, this is the least one I play. Mind you the game is quite good and all. The problem I have is the language barrier which makes it impossible for me to truly get mission objectives which this game has many conditions and outcomes to your actions. The controls are a little iffy at times especially regarding the grapple hook technique, I hope they could fix it by the English release.

+ Dark-Hax- on January 7th, 2012 at 6:11 am said:

Me get this Game ^^

+ Clark_kent01 on January 7th, 2012 at 4:07 pm said:

nice im gonna get me this game and if this game comes out it means way of the samurai 4 has a chance to be localize too well im just gonna wait for it to happen^^

+ ro-kurorai on January 8th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

Thanks for sharing Rich. Can you confirm whether Japanese voices will be included in the NA-version, or does Shinobido 2 feature English VAs only?