PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Network Scheduled Maintenance

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Jan 18, 2012 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

PlayStation Network will be offline for routine scheduled maintenance on Thursday, January 19th from approximately 8am until 9pm PST.

During the maintenance, you will be unable to access the following services:

• PlayStation Store on PS3, PSP, and Media Go.
  • PlayStation Network Account Management.
  • PlayStation Network Account Registration.
  • PlayStation Home
  • Music Unlimited & Video Unlimited services

In addition, you will not be able to sign in to PlayStation Network from us.playstation.com.

Users who are already signed into their account on PlayStation Network before the start of the maintenance should be able to stay signed in to their online session, but will not be able to access any of the services listed above. Users who attempt to sign-in to their PlayStation Network account after the start of the maintenance may be presented with the site maintenance notification page if they haven’t signed in recently.

During this maintenance, you can continue to collect in-game Trophies and these will be updated on your profile once PlayStation Network is back up and running.

Stay tuned to the PlayStation Twitter feed for updates and a notice when maintenance has concluded. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

107 Comments

+ Shy_Guy92 on January 18th, 2012 at 8:32 pm said:

@krae_man
Did you check it recently? I had the same problem with my download list, but after I checked it 3 days ago it’s back to normal, for me.

+ krae_man on January 18th, 2012 at 8:37 pm said:

@Shy_guy92, it works sometimes. I just did it today and it took accessing it 6 times to get the history to appear in the correct order and stay that way long enough to download another batch of games.

+ brtt150 on January 18th, 2012 at 8:45 pm said:

People are such babies. Play single-player tomorrow or read a book.

+ guitarded77 on January 18th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

@ krae_man
My fat died a few weeks back and I had the same problem. 800 items on my download list… I was keeping track on paper doing add-ons, PSN games, etc in order. When the list got out of whack, I’d back out and repopulate the list and it was always in order the second time. Anyway, Sony does need to fix this.

+ D-Squad3 on January 18th, 2012 at 8:47 pm said:

Wow that’s like the whole day.

+ VendettaLion on January 18th, 2012 at 9:17 pm said:

Awesome, cross game chat update… no!? Oh well, I guess whatever Sony is working on with this “maintenance” is important to us (mildly sarcastic).

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 18th, 2012 at 9:25 pm said:

Again!?!? WTH? Enough with these all day maintenance things. You pay for XBL, but at least they don’t pull off these types of BS.

+ o_silver8ack_o on January 18th, 2012 at 9:45 pm said:

Wow, brand new ps3 slim and copy of BF3 and I can’t play it all freakin day tomorrow. Thanks Sony. I knew there was a reason I was paying for xbox live before.

I still love you, but I also hate you right now.

+ VKTH777 on January 18th, 2012 at 9:54 pm said:

Perfect day to do maintenance! I will be gone all day anyways!

+ Sgt_0951 on January 18th, 2012 at 9:55 pm said:

Thank you for the heads up, Mr. Seybold. I can live without the PSN for one day (unlike some people, apparently).

+ RoninX136 on January 18th, 2012 at 10:02 pm said:

As long as improvements are made to PSN I don’t care if it’s down all day, besides I have Xbox Live to hold me over til then.

+ excaliber45 on January 18th, 2012 at 10:43 pm said:

Good on you, Sony; I figured I’d take a break from Battlefield 3 as I was getting back into Skyrim again :)

+ kivi95 on January 18th, 2012 at 10:47 pm said:

The maintance is WORLDWIDE, so as they are in Japan they start the downtime that is suited over there.

+ FJ1100_rider on January 18th, 2012 at 10:59 pm said:

are you finally going to get that website online ? you know , the one we were promised that you can deactivate a dead ps3 from ? I know there is that qriocity site nut outside of the U.S. it doesn’t allow you to deactivate a ps3 .
it just gives you the same old message to deactivate from the console and that’s obviously not possible after ylod

I have 2 dead systems I need deactivated before I even think about getting a new ps3 or a ps vita one day

+ a_striped_lombax on January 18th, 2012 at 11:51 pm said:

@22

Just because you’re not intelligent enough to add 3 hours to each time doesn’t mean everyone else is the same.

+ a_striped_lombax on January 18th, 2012 at 11:53 pm said:

On the status of the update though, I think it is nice that Sony not only does a thorough check and perhaps even update of their servers, but also allow the anti-socialites an opportunity to go out and do something else for one day.

+ iTofuMan on January 19th, 2012 at 12:11 am said:

While its great they are keeping us posted on this stuff (you should really do it more often) i have to agree with people stating that the time in which this is happening is a bit off. Why do it on such busy hours? its only making you guy less money. I think it would be a much smarter idea to start it off either late at night or early morning. While i understand everyone lives in different timezone the times arent all that far behind. i live in Hawaii and i believe the maintenance would be from 6am to 7pm so it isnt that far off from PST.

+ ccrogers15 on January 19th, 2012 at 12:14 am said:

Please fix this: Remove the horrible, unplayable, buggy game called AMY.

+ Sirynx77 on January 19th, 2012 at 12:17 am said:

@#4 Supreme_Entity :

You have to think like a Japanese company. Yes we all know that Sony maintains their servers somewhere in the west coast of the USA (cough SAN DIEGO cough). But Sony is still a Japanese company after all.

So the maintance hours are from Thursday January 19, 2012 8AM to 9PM PST right?
So, add 17 hours to that. What do you get?
Friday January 20, 2012 1AM to 2PM JST

Of course this also gives Sony a way to not pay their techs extra since most of the work will be during normal business hours at the data center.

+ esXXso on January 19th, 2012 at 1:28 am said:

Tell me if I’m wrong, but it doesn’t say explicitly that it won’t be possible to play online games. The maintenance will affect the services and management related to psn, but not gaming itself. It also says that while you play single player, you can still collect trophies, and that feature wont be affected. So, in my opinion, according to what I read, be happy, is not the end of the world. If it is, it won’t matter in any way!!

+ VooDoo_Child_187 on January 19th, 2012 at 1:34 am said:

All I have to say is I hope its a real routine scheduled maintenance and not another PSN BLACKOUT. I would rather them do this at night when people are asleep because I play threw out the day. But oh well.

+ crzyhrse666 on January 19th, 2012 at 2:15 am said:

Thank you for letting us know. Keep up the good work

+ XavierStar on January 19th, 2012 at 3:09 am said:

No BF3 for me? :(

+ Carl-G on January 19th, 2012 at 3:54 am said:

I never have a problem with PSN;) So god knows what you fix or make better when you do this LoL;)

+ Grognard66 on January 19th, 2012 at 4:08 am said:

It shouldn’t take this long (and shouldn’t need to be done this often) and maintenance should be done during non-peak hours. Sony employees should be inconvenienced (by working overnight) – not their customers. Their primary competitor does far fewer updates, always in the middle of the night, and has trimmed the process down to about 4 hours. Software has always been Sony’s Achille’s Heel…

+ Koulthrow on January 19th, 2012 at 4:25 am said:

Time 2 read. thanks sony for the heads up.

+ bldudas on January 19th, 2012 at 4:33 am said:

Thank you for letting us know.

+ Rocstarr on January 19th, 2012 at 4:33 am said:

cool stuff

+ MEGATRON2413 on January 19th, 2012 at 5:11 am said:

I hope it will be back online in no time . thanks sony

+ SnDin9 on January 19th, 2012 at 5:26 am said:

LOL of course, the only night my girlfriend is out of the house and the PSN is down. Why not do it during the night? Wouldn’t piss off enough people that way?

+ Kajax on January 19th, 2012 at 5:29 am said:

After i installed firmware 4.0, i can no longer see how long time is left
when i download something from Playstation Store. Before the update you
could see how long time it was left on the download to be finished

And the “download in background” button is gone, it’s just a small box with 3 dots.

Hope this maintenance will fix these problems.

Anyone else with the same problem after 4.0?

+ dunc on January 19th, 2012 at 5:40 am said:

Like a bunch of other people already asked – INCREASE CLOUD STORAGE for ps+ subscribers please…. With the 50+ games I have im no longer able to backup saves

+ Major_Hoare on January 19th, 2012 at 6:02 am said:

@Supreme_Entity

Sony is located in Japan so the schedualed maintenance is during off hours for the homeland.

+ grimreaper2345 on January 19th, 2012 at 6:33 am said:

ok thanks for da heads up n people get over it ps was down for months go find something to do besides playing games

+ grimreaper2345 on January 19th, 2012 at 6:35 am said:

does anyone know how to scan ur ps3 for viruses???

+ ReptileHand on January 19th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

@krae_man

You’re not the only one? I thought it was just me, yeah there is a bug where it scrambles the download list after 20 items.

+ La_maravich_22 on January 19th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Please explain waht kind of maintenance you do to the psn please add new features better servers to the game give a really online experience like steam or xbox live and do good things because the sony first party games are the best but the real sony fans need more that good games we need a entretaiment console with apps new interface new people working on the ps store update because sony give the update always later please fire grace chen

+ CaptainJames99 on January 19th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Patrick seybolds post: “regularly scheduled maintenance”. posted right before he leaves the office for the night before the “maintenance”. riiiiiight, ssuuuuure yeah whatever.

real world translation: “We’re too cheap to do it right the first time now its F%&&ed up and we gotta fix it before the new boss finds out”.

The rest of my comment is directly at Patrick Seybold: You need to man up and start being honest with gamers. Our hard earned dollars keep you in a job. This wouldnt be such pile of ahem bovine excrement if you’d give actuall advance warning, say more than 12 hours. Nor should you keep everyone in the dark about whats being done, at the very least say “We’re fixing X, Y, and Z” in the broadest general terms instead of nothing. This is the most important Patrick, reply to comments and answer questions, stop hiding behind these fanatical basement dwellers like a coward.

+ MarcJGoGGleS on January 19th, 2012 at 4:08 pm said:

Want to fix the jail broken cheats for Socom Confrontation?
Im tired of having my game frozen and having the gameplay ruined by those who exploit the game.

+ mkharper0124 on January 19th, 2012 at 9:47 pm said:

Are we still down?????

+ bigtell on January 19th, 2012 at 10:25 pm said:

why r we still down

+ Zeo_Karnz on January 19th, 2012 at 10:37 pm said:

well i was able to get online and on the store but my ps card wont work -.- ill give it till the morning to see if it works

+ siriusbee on January 19th, 2012 at 10:55 pm said:

@Zeo_Karnz (#92): Yeah, I have the same problem. PSN card won’t redeem, says bad code, though I’m sure it is not. What the hell.

+ Ja-Milz on January 19th, 2012 at 11:10 pm said:

I wasn’t going to join in on all this pointless ranting & whining but I’ve really had enough of this crap. First thing, the scheduled maintenance is them implementing small changes as you the user complains about damn near everything needing improvement. They are working to better their product so they can maintain a decent market with their competition. Second thing the difference between development across consoles, the XBOX 360 was not Microsoft’s first run around with network access, they had years of implementation and correction of their network capabilities. Yes their network features may be ahead but Sony is greatly increasing with time, it takes tons of money to make these little changes even though we the customers only view them as a few megabytes.

+ Ja-Milz on January 19th, 2012 at 11:11 pm said:

Third thing, the PSone games, we all know that Rayman, Dynamite Heady, Legends of Dragoon, Tales of Legaia, Tales of Destiny, Saga Frontier, Lomax, Gex, Twisted Metal and a ton more are all games we’d love to see. What people don’t understand is that different companies own the rights to these games whether they are on Sony’s systems or not and they are helping with the development most likely. If one company can release and get their product out first then so be it. Everyone knows that Square better known now as SquareEnix now has one of the biggest archives of games in video game history, their RPGs are amazing but they will take a while to bring them out without flooding the online store and the customers with huge updates.

+ Ja-Milz on January 19th, 2012 at 11:12 pm said:

. Fourth thing, remember the PS3 lost its compatibility with the PS2 games when certain updates were implemented, even with emulators at that time many games played pretty crappy and now Sony is taking the reins and working on compatibility their self to please the loyal PlayStation fans who miss playing PS2 games on their beloved systems.

+ Ja-Milz on January 19th, 2012 at 11:12 pm said:

My final thing to speak on is DLC, realize that I have a 500 GB hard drive, every single PSone game downloaded, soon all PS2 games downloaded and mini games like crazy, I have 138 physical PS3 games in my house, yet my PS3 has 140 GB of space remaining, stop complaining about Cloud Storage, buy a damn bigger HDD and when it runs low Cloud Storage will have by that time been increased greatly. To any whom object to what I say please feel free to speak, and PlayStation + kicks ass, I’ve saved a ton of money over the last year on PlayStation Home items and DLC/Games.

+ Suxors on January 19th, 2012 at 11:25 pm said:

Earlier today i bought 2 $20 psn cards, i input them now under redeem codes & no dice! Is the account management still down?

+ xx_X2010X_xx on January 19th, 2012 at 11:36 pm said:

@PlayStation and all services are restored but people trying to redeem codes through Account Management & Qriocity are getting error’s.

+ Emerald_Swords on January 20th, 2012 at 12:00 am said:

Suxors,

Try waiting a couple of hours if you still can’t get them redeemed, phone up support.