PS4-Infamous

Twisted Metal returns to PlayStation: The Official Magazine

Roger Burchill's Avatar + Posted by Roger Burchill on Jan 18, 2012 // Editor in Chief, PlayStation: The Official Magazine

PlayStation’s longest running franchise has already graced PTOM’s cover once (our November 2010 issue), but we just can’t get enough of Sweet Tooth and the rest of the demented Twisted Metal gang. As the February 14th release date of PS3’s next big exclusive nears, we visit developer Eat Sleep Play and get the lowdown on the game’s multiplayer modes. We also managed to walk away with breakdowns on vehicle strengths and weaknesses courtesy of David Jaffe himself, as well as maps and strategy tips for four locations.

PlayStation The Official Magazine, February 2012

The February issue also means its time for our 2011 Game of the Year awards! Time to throw out the review scores and reflect on the year’s greatest gaming experiences away from the pressures of impending deadlines. It’s one last opportunity for the PTOM crew to argue, debate, and pummel each other into submission and agreement. Sure, some of the choices might be predictable, but even we were surprised by some of the winners.

Elsewhere in the mag, we drop in and check out Radical Entertainment’s Prototype 2. The first Prototype was underappreciated and never quite found its audience, so we’re excited that the sequel’s looking bigger and better in every way. It joins an all-star lineup of previews that includes Dead or Alive 5, Silent Hill: Downpour, and Spec Ops: The Line. We’ve also got the latest and greatest on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as Hideo Kojima sounds off on the franchise’s past, present, and future.

The holiday rush has passed, but we’ve got the review for the New Year’s first blockbuster release: Final Fantasy XIII-2. Our crack reviewer Ryan Taljonick enjoyed the game thoroughly, but something tells me that his review might incite the year’s first controversy in our Mail section.

It’s all in the February issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine, available on newsstands now.

+ Zacky-V-A7X on January 18th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Sweet!!!!!!!!!

+ Nightshade869 on January 18th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Do you know retailers where this magazine can be purchased? Is it already on sale or does it start shipping Feb. 1st? I signed up for a year subscription, but it said 4-6 weeks and I don’t want to miss this issue. Thanks!! Can’t wait for TM!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 5:56 pm said:

The issue hit newsstands on Tuesday 1/17. Unfortunately, it’s hard to say which retailers’ newsstands we’re on anymore given the state of the magazine biz. I’d say start with Barnes & Nobles, and maybe others here can chime in on where they find PTOM?

+ ALhammadi51 on January 18th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

can’t wait to get it ,

+ ERC1980 on January 18th, 2012 at 10:59 am said:

Hello Roger

another fantastic issue. wishing for a twisted metal demo before the game comes out so i can get used to the controls before the full game comes out.

great articles overall

my only compliant is the bad condition that the issue was in when it arrived in my mailbox

front cover and back page was ripped up. it looked as if the mag was tossed and kicked around. It made me sad cause i really thought the cover was spectacular.

I hope you include a poster of the cover in the next issue of PTOM. that would make me feel better!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 5:59 pm said:

Call our customer service line at 1-800-477-0484 and tell them your copy was damaged in the mail. They should send you a new copy, no problem.

+ Ecks on January 18th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

Nightshade879 – I usually purchase mine from Walmart.

ERC1980 – Condition of subscription copies is why I always buy mine from a store. I’d rather subscribe as it’s much cheaper.

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on January 18th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

So what about a Twisted Metal/PS3 bundle? Any chance?

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

Sorry, haven’t heard anything about a TM bundle. Great idea though.

+ Nightshade869 on January 18th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

@C_Y_P_H_E_R

That would be awesome. Image a special Twisted Metal PS3 slim with Sweet Tooth’s vehicle on it with flames everywhere. That would be a system seller like crazy. I don’t think Sony realizes how many PS3′s would sell if they did stuff like that. Bundle it with TM and even a lot of current PS3 owners would rebuy just for that special edition PS3.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

I would love special edition PS3s as well. Even different colors–which I know they have in Japan–would be cool. I’m totally lusting for an orange Vita that I saw in a photo from Tokyo Game Show last year.

+ Battlepope190 on January 18th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

I look forward to the Silent Hill preview most.

+ MarinoBrea on January 18th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

It’s about time to start advertising the heck out of this game. What are you waiting for Sony? it’s not use having great games if not many people know about them. Don’t let Twisted Metal go under the radar!!!!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

I hear you, man. TM is one of my most anticipated games of the year. Big fan of the franchise, and I can’t wait to dive back in.

+ ERC1980 on January 18th, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

@ECKS

this is actually the first time it has happened to me.

the only issue aside from subscribing to PTOM was sometimes not getting issues in at all (been fixed though since i contacted customer support last year, when Gary was still the head honcho)

perhaps i just got unlucky and got the bottom copy of a stack of the mags

regardless though i do want next issue to have a TM pull out poster!

Make it happen Roger B.

+ smintja on January 18th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

I need to subscribe to this magazine!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

Yes, you do!

+ gameman15 on January 18th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

Thanks! I always remembered playing Twisted Metal III for the PS1 when I was a kid, and I still owned Twisted Metal Black for the PS2 and Twisted Metal Head-On for the PSP. I am way forward to the next Twisted Metal game for the PS3, so best $60 of my entire life, here… I… come!!!

+ proud2be on January 18th, 2012 at 5:36 pm said:

cool looking cover, was hoping a poster would be inside, but no. WHATEVER happen to game magazines having posters and stuff of upcoming games . dont see too much of that from PTOM.(needs to start.) i would definitely buy every issue if they did.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:09 pm said:

I know our readers love posters and we try to make it happen as often as we can, but the fact is we need to collaborate with game companies to make them happen. It’s not always easy. But we’ll keep trying!

+ twistedfloyd on January 18th, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

TWISTED METAL!!!!!!!

I need to find this magazine somewhere.

+ Antonisbob on January 18th, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

OOOohhh man, Twisted Metal!!!

Must buy this. Cover reminds me of Bat Out of Hell for some reason lol.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

Now that you mention it… Weird that I didn’t think of that before because I love that album!

+ Berae on January 18th, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

This game looks a lot of funnnn!! Cant wait!

+ lisatsunami on January 18th, 2012 at 7:40 pm said:

I am a subscriber and this is my favorite read every month. I look forward to it, although I am often mad when you feature a nonexclusive game over a far superior exclusive one but I’m thinking there must be some payola thing going on–except totally legal, of course.

It would be so sweet to have a Vita version of PTOM every month for download from PSN. C’mon, total integration people!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:17 pm said:

We love covering PlayStation exclusive games, but there are a lot of different elements that have to come together for a cover feature to happen. It’s not always easy to get the timing right between our deadlines and the publisher’s/developer’s schedule.

+ wcoastsands on January 18th, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:

Do you know if this is, or will be, available for digital download?

Roger Burchill's Avatar

+ Roger Burchill on January 19th, 2012 at 6:12 pm said:

I hate having to say it every month but: We are looking into and hope to produce a digital edition, but we are not yet close to that happening.

+ Matrix_Lion on January 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am said: