PS4-Watch_Dogs

UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss – The Characters Unmasked

John Garvin's Avatar + Posted by John Garvin on Jan 19, 2012 // Creative Director, Bend Studios

Like UNCHARTED

Learning how to bring characters to life with all the nuances of personality, habits, quirks and mannerisms was really Sony Bend’s first and most important job when we started to work on UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss. We have an awesome example in the Uncharted series, and we wanted to give the characters a level of depth that transcends the screen. These videos show just a glimpse of our process and how we worked with our eclectic cast of characters.

I’m no stranger to writing, having written all the Syphon Filter games, but this title taught me some new tricks. By the time we started shooting in February 2011, I had gone through over 40 revisions, changing everything from setting, characters, names, dialogue and action. If we count all the in-game VO dialogue, we ended up with over 400 pages of script for Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Of course, writing and performance capture was just beginning. What followed was an intense year of motion capture clean-up, animation, camera work, set building, lip-synching, prop building, editing, sound and music, by a team of over 50 artists working across five different studios.

Yes, Uncharted’s stunning visuals require next-gen hardware, but in the end, Uncharted’s charm comes from its characters, their friendships and chemistry. The great thing about story is that it’s hardware independent. Players can tell a good story from a bad one, great production values from not-so-great. We knew that the end result – all of that effort by all those people – would pay off in an Uncharted experience that would lose nothing simply because it was on a portable console. It’s the main reason I was so excited to learn the Uncharted approach to cinematic storytelling. On February 22nd, you’ll be able to see for yourself.

14 Comments

+ rastafizzle1986 on January 19th, 2012 at 11:17 am said:

That’s really cool. I can’t wait to play this!

+ remanutd5 on January 19th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

awesome , i’ve got to played the game at the ny vita meet up and it looks like Uncharted , it feels like Uncharted and more importantly it PLAYS like Uncharted so yea its a must have

+ KazeEternal on January 19th, 2012 at 11:08 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to this game… unfortunately I was forced to cancel my PS Vita preorder along with this game and its memory stick over price, sales in japan, and a currently weak marketing campaign to push this machine out the door. I’m pretty timid since my PSP and even more so by the sluggish launch and resurgence of the 3DS. I feel that a price reduction of not just the PS Vita hardware is inevitable and that the extremely over priced memory sticks will certainly come down in price rapidly.

I hate the fact that I came to this decision, but much has gotten in the way of my ability to early adopt including money and signs that the PS Vita still has one major hurdle left over from its predecessor to over come. The selection of Vita games is great and perhaps the best launch lineup I have ever seen. I will certainly will get a Vita once the dust settles around these uncertainties above. Games like Mod Nation, Wipeout, Gravity Daze, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter X Tekken, BlazBlue, Killzone, Resistance, and of course Uncharted Golden Abyss make for excellent reasons to buy this wonderful machine.

+ Kchow23 on January 19th, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

Really cool to watch some behind the scenes and I hope that more of these are included (was sad to see the lack of in depth behind the scenes in Uncharted 3). You can already picture what the in-game will be and the emotion, drama and comedy are already in these videos.

+ jazzyrider on January 20th, 2012 at 4:59 am said:

Love the acting and voices. Can’t wait to play the game and see where these scenes are at.

+ EggySong85 on January 20th, 2012 at 6:00 am said:

Are they doing both the physical and voice acting in the same take, or are they lip syncing? That’s really cool stuff.

+ ScreamAimFire999 on January 20th, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

This is awesome. And hilarious lol. Can’t wait. =]

February 22, 2012

+ sionllj on January 20th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Well this was a spolier. Thank you.

+ willywonka159 on January 20th, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

@5 They do it at the same time.

+ Viewtiful_Josh on January 20th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

It’s really nice that they are taking the time to do this game much like the Playstation 3 titles, meaning that the Playstation Vita is getting the same love from these great actors and everyone else that works on the game. :D

Thank you!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 20th, 2012 at 6:49 pm said:

No multiplayer = no sale

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on January 21st, 2012 at 6:52 am said:

the story is better, though the multiplayer is great too. i would buy it. if i had the time to play a vita. i just don’t right now.

+ villaintine on January 23rd, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

If Uncharted: Golden Abyss had included co-op/multiplayer modes, it would have been a day one purchase for me, as is, I’ll wait until it drops to twenty bucks, as single player experiences are not my primary reason for playing games, I prefer co-op campaigns, and I’ll sometimes settle for a co-op mode, but I like to play with my fiancée and close friends. Luckily, I’ll have Hot Shots Golf, and it sounds like the ModNation devs are working on a post-release online patch for multiplayer, so if that is indeed true, I’ll pick ModNation up on day one as well. I know there are plenty of players who prefer great single player experiences, and Uncharted usually delivers on this front. I wish the devs the best of luck with their sales of this title, but without co-op, I’ll wait to play it down the line, maybe when I’ve got a long plane trip to endure.

+ TainoGunslinger on January 25th, 2012 at 6:51 am said:

Oh COME ON… no online multiplayer on this game either?!?!????

I am def waiting a bit on getting my Vita… they need to fix this.