Driveclub

Step into the world of WipEout 2048

Wilson Cheng's Avatar + Posted by Wilson Cheng on Jan 20, 2012 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Hello everybody! What you’ll find below is a specially narrated cut of the cinematic intro to WipEout 2048 on PlayStation Vita. Essentially, the movie’s goal is to take you on a journey through the evolution of motorsport in Studio Liverpool’s vision of the world, up until the point where Anti-Gravity technology has replaced modern day automotive technology and the first season of the Anti-Gravity Racing Championships has kicked off on the streets of Nova State City. So, without further ado, sit back, press play and let Game Director Graeme Ankers, and Art Director Lee Carus, take you on a trip through time to the year 2048.

What did you think? Pretty cool, no? What’s really interesting about WipEout 2048 and the direction the team at Studio Liverpool took with it, is that it takes place in the not too distant future and serves as a precursor to the events that take place in the original WipEout on PS one. And because of that it differs from WipEout experiences in the past.

Races are now multi-tiered – one minute you’re barreling through the busy streets of Nova State City and the next you’re scrambling for first place up the side of a building. The world in which WipEout 2048 takes place in is grittier than what’s come before it simply because we’re entering into it when the sport is still at a nascent stage.

Teams are finding their feet, sponsorship is there – yet not as rife as it is in later seasons – and there is a lot of money at stake on the part of investors desperate for the sport to succeed and capture the world’s imagination. Not to mention competition from rival sports hankering after audience numbers and, in turn, capital. It’s raw; it’s real (ish) and its WipEout like you’ve never seen it before.

WipEout 2048 WipEout 2048

WipEout 2048

So, there you have it – a quick glance of the streets of Nova State City and motorsport metamorphosis in the year 2048 with Graeme and Lee. Let us know what you think of it in the comments, and in the meantime have a look at the clean version of the intro below presented just as it is in the final game, winging its way to you in a little over a month on PlayStation Vita.

+ Smooth423 on January 20th, 2012 at 6:26 am said:

Wipeout is back and littler than ever. Enjoyed every wipeout since the original. Can not wait for the vita and cross play. Very exciting! Ps3 is going to have a record year, then the world is going to end.

Wilson Cheng's Avatar

+ Wilson Cheng on January 20th, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

thanks for liking the game – hopefully the world doesn’t end : )

+ Explosio5 on January 20th, 2012 at 6:35 am said:

Who ever said bigger was better?

+ ScreamAimFire999 on January 20th, 2012 at 6:37 am said:

Definitely plan on getting this. Wipeout was a great game on the PSP and I look forward to 2048’s Cross Game Play. :D

Wilson Cheng's Avatar

+ Wilson Cheng on January 20th, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

Hope you enjoy it!

+ sicross1989 on January 20th, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

UPDATE THE PS3 BROWSER PLS. (If you want it please copy it on every news posted… Someone will hear us..)

+ Rocstarr on January 20th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

cool

+ station3fever on January 20th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

@ sicross1989. PS3 browser is a joke & it was never meant to be used. SAD BUT TRUE!

+ KidCommando on January 20th, 2012 at 7:51 am said:

GREAT video!

+ DaMann22 on January 20th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

I recently got to play this game at the vita hill social club in atlanta, I it feels like the best wipeout and best looking wipeout yet. Cant wait!!!

Wilson Cheng's Avatar

+ Wilson Cheng on January 20th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

Thanks for checking it out. The team worked really hard to make this the best looking WipEout to date.

+ x-former on January 20th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Online MP = day 1 buy!!

Seriously tho this looks awesome!

Small question: do u guys think u could improve the load times with a patch?
Not a deal breaker but just wondering….

+ Falaut on January 20th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

First, let me say that the game looks great, and is one of the forefront PSV launch titles that I will most likely be getting when I get the PSV. As I watch this I didn’t know that Wipeout had such lore which is very welcoming when a title like this could very well just be a shell with no meat. I’m going to try and make this brief. I see Wipeout as being able to take on alot more personalisation with the vehicles being tailored by each driver. The best example I can give to this mess of a comment is the anime Last Exile, where regular people own and personalize their own crafts to compete in flying races. Now imagine, an open world game set in the Wipeout universe, set in ie 2090, where everyone that wants owns a anti grav vehicle and competes in races with others. Different ships chassis, upgrades etc etc. LOL I have it in my head, if only I could properly explain it.

Cheers.

+ Reluctant-Hero on January 20th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

I’ve been watching recorded footage of the japanese release and I can’t wait to play this on my Vita on 2/15/11!

+ siriusbee on January 20th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

So want a 1080p PS3 version of this.

+ Bad_Brains on January 20th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Game looks awesome, can’t wait! 2/15 can’t get here soon enough!

+ Logan22 on January 20th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

I don’t see the aforementioned clean version of the intro posted here, does anyone else does?

+ drepsx3 on January 20th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

This is vita’s best launch game.

+ TooTall19 on January 20th, 2012 at 12:55 pm said:

Looks great. I want to reward the developer that put the most work and good features in their game with my first purchase.

+ Sevyne on January 20th, 2012 at 3:58 pm said:

Fantastic! Day 1 purchase for me. Always was a huge fan of Wipeout and from everything I’ve seen this could be the best one by far!

+ lanceurdehache on January 20th, 2012 at 4:17 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game, the only game i m buying on launch

I heard there is no control option, this is the only thing i hate, do you plan to fixe this issue ?

WipEout FTW!

+ BugEyedMonster on January 20th, 2012 at 5:41 pm said:

Looks Fab! I remember getting the Original Wipeout a long time ago on day 1, in 1995. Will be at Best Buy on Feb 15th to pick up the PSV, going to go digital download this time, cars don’t need wheels, software don’t need no boxes ;-)

+ MarioTBK on January 20th, 2012 at 6:23 pm said:

Personally, I’m just getting into the series, my first entry in the series was Wipeout HD Fury, but the more I hear about this game, the more excited I get for it, it makes it feel like a more interesting experence, like theres more to it than just the gameplay, it also has that technological history that gives it some depth. I like that.

When I finally get my Vita someday, this will be one of the first games I get.

+ omf on January 20th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

I just wanted to say that the original WipEout is what got me to buy the original PlayStation back 15+ years ago (wow… that’s a long time…) and I’ve been a fan of the series (and the console) ever since.

This latest version of WipEout looks fantastic, and it’s what’s going to make a Vita a day-one purchase instead of waiting a few months for the usual kinks to get worked-out.

All I want to know is: do we get to meet a young Ariel Tetsuo??? :D

+ omf on January 20th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

Oh, and I meant to add: WipEout XL/2097 + the neGcon controller was a combination made in heaven. I couldn’t believe it when they stopped supporting that awesome controller. :[

+ cimerians on January 20th, 2012 at 7:59 pm said:

Will it have State Farm ads and in-game advertising long after we purchase the game? Any other tricks?

+ obligonnation on January 21st, 2012 at 6:02 am said:

Great video for a great game! 1 month + 1 day = my PS Vita!!

+ bigbren97 on January 21st, 2012 at 8:28 pm said:

Cannot wait for this and Uncharted. Pre-ordered mine!

+ sparkytooth50001 on January 22nd, 2012 at 7:50 am said:

I want this game as soon as i get a vita! Playing pure on my psp:)

+ j2k_3000 on January 22nd, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

studio liverpool need to revive the Colony Wars & G Police series on the PS3 and PSV make it happen.

+ x-TRON- on January 22nd, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

+ Welmosca on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

The video is awesome already saw on YT…the game looks great like every wipeout…gonna get this for sure but I doubt that is better than Wipeout HD.

+ bendchester on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

cannot wait to get this.

+ SPOOKULA209 on January 25th, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

I’ll support developers that do things like this on the Vita but not lazy ports. I’ll pay for quality

+ Graywolffe on January 25th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

- A LOYAL SONY CUSTOMER (Avid PS3 & PSP user and consistent PSN spendah’!!!)

IF there is absolutely NO PSN digital download discount for VITA games (when I check on the 14th). THEN I will immediately cancel my VITA preorder & save for the NextBox…Sad to say, but it is the ONLY manner in which I will be able to voice an audible opinion on such greedy tactics. Hoping for continued symbiosis…

Graywolffe

+ maldul on January 27th, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

Wipeout2048 and Mortal Kombat for me are two reasons why I am getting a Vita. I’m sure other games will end up in my shopping cart as time passes and I believe in Vita as a platform for many awesome games in the future, but man! This Wipeout looks amazing – blazing fast and dynamic.

+ Fiznu on February 8th, 2012 at 3:32 pm said:

Wipeout HD was the reason I purchased a PS3 (seriously, I held out until it was released!), and Wipeout will be my reason for purchasing a Vita! Keep this franchise alive Sony! It is one of your best! (and I wouldnt mind at all if you released new tracks or an expansion to the PS3 version either!)