LittleBigPlanet 3

It’s About Time We Published Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for PSP

Aram Jabbari's Avatar + Posted by Aram Jabbari on Jan 26, 2012 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

It’s been years since the last Growlanser game, dearest members of the Blog of PlayStation (Growlanser: Heritage of War, for those of you playing “PlayStation Blog: The At-Home Edition,” was released for PS2 back in 2007). Even before that, hardcore RPG fans have been clamoring for the fourth entry, one of their favorites in the series, to make its way to North America. Now, there are always factors for games released in Japan to either never come or come much, much later to US shores. This was one of those cases where hope seemed quite faint.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for PSP

Just this past week, those hopes were given a prescription-strength injection of horse steroids as Atlus (that’s us) officially announced Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, the enhanced PSP version of the long-beloved and much-requested fourth chapter in the popular series of RPGs, for release this summer in North America.

Let’s tune out all those exclamations of shock that ATLUS is releasing a PSP game in 2012 (because it isn’t going to be the only one) and get to the heart of the matter: telling you everything you need to know about Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for PSP

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for PSP

First of all, a fun fact: we decided not to put the numeral in the title because a) none of the other North American releases of the Growlanser games have done so, and b) because we didn’t want folks unfamiliar with the series to avoid it outright because they were worried they were jumping in too far into things. Like many Japanese RPG series, the games don’t have a narrative tie, meaning uninitiated genre fans will get as much enjoyment (i.e. a lot) as will those who live and breathe the series.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time tells of a land—once rich with culture and technology—long ago nearly obliterated by evanescent divine entities. Two millennia later, the mysterious entities appear again, threatening to bring about an end to all things unless a fabled warrior of destiny can rise against them. It may sound similar to games you’ve played in the past, but Wayfarer of Time —and in a more general sense, the Growlanser series at large—goes much further than most RPGs when it comes to the level of interaction players have with characters they encounter during their journey.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for PSP

Much like the very popular Social Links in the Persona series, players can pour a lot of time and energy into winning over a special someone in the game and then, when they think they’ve won them over, invite the party member to join them on a special getaway. It’s a chance to learn a lot more about the character’s motivations and backstory and really helps build the sense that you’re getting to know them. They’ve even added the ability to save a character from otherwise certain death, a decision that—like many of the others you can make during your play time—can change how other events will unfold. Did I mention the game has over 40+ endings, and that it keeps track of how many of them you’ve unlocked?

Combat is tactical, the story is epic, the character designs are done by the LEGENDARY Satoshi Urushihara, the PSP version has improved visuals, quickened load times, features to make players’ experiences more streamlined and enjoyable, and much more. It’s a ginormous RPG experience, it’s coming to PSP this summer despite tons of doubt that it ever would, it’s getting a quality Atlus localization…High fives all around, right?

+ NHDrumline17 on January 26th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

Awesome! Two quick questions:

1. I’m assuming this will play on a Vita, correct?

2. If it works on a Vita, any special features, such as dual analog support?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on January 27th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

1) It would certainly be important to us that it does!
    2) I’m afraid not.

Both good questions!

+ mcbuttz78 on January 26th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

Are you guys using 3-d sprites.. Also i want to ask if aplayer beat 1 ending they keep the stuff they workled for and beat again with adding more thing they earn towards the other 39+ ending.. Also a is their a strategy guide. lol

Mcbuttz-78
vp- psn legionairee group

+ Htler on January 26th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Hell Yeah Atlus! Keep the PSP alive, best handheld of all time!

+ Reluctant-Hero on January 26th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Awesome, thanks Atlus! I’ll definitely be downloading this from PSN. It should be Vita compatable, but if not I’ll still have my PSP-2000. And if you have some sweet packaging *coughfullcolormanualcough* and possible “Atlus Spoils” *coughartbookcoughOSTcough*, I’ll double dip and buy a retail copy as well!

+ boxmyth on January 26th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

Consider it downloaded onto my (soon-to-be) shiny new Vita.
Thanks Atlus!

+ Budapesti on January 26th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Atlus and XSeed: Guardians of the PSP flame!

+ Fedast on January 26th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Thank you ATLUS for keep supporting the PSP!!!

+ LionFranco on January 26th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

Thank you so much Atlus for bringing Growlanser 4 to the US. I have the PS2 releases from way back, and now will have 4 for my Vita (it has to work on the Vita, just has to).

And thank you so much for all of you devs that bring us such awesome and classic games to the PSP, and hopefully soon the Vita.

+ perrandy on January 26th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

high fives all around indeed!
between this and gungnir (sp) us jrpg fans are going to have alot fun this spring/summer
needless to say, thank you atlus!

+ bmart008 on January 26th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

As long as it’s released on PSN day one I’ll take an interest! I love Atlus games.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on January 27th, 2012 at 7:37 am said:

Day one release on PSN is definitely something we’re shooting for!

+ reson8er on January 26th, 2012 at 12:27 pm said:

Looks great! I will be playing this on my Vita, day one. Thanks for your continued support of my favorite consoles.

Looking forward to some news on Persona 4 for Vita. HINT HINT :)

+ Andrefpvs on January 26th, 2012 at 12:55 pm said:

Atlus, I just love you guys so much, I don’t even gfuarghsbsdgah! Of course I’ll be buying Growlanser!

By the way, obviously I’m not expecting an announcement or confirmation of anything, but you guys are aware that Persona 4: The Golden is releasing this Spring in Japan, right? :)

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on January 27th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

We don’t gfuarghsbsdgah anymore either. Our doctor asked us not to.

+ poodude on January 26th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

Awesome, glad there’s no entry barrier when it comes to the story. Silly question because it’s Atlus: will there be a UMD release or is this going to be PSN only?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on January 27th, 2012 at 7:40 am said:

Poodude, we are absolutely planning both a UMD and PSN release!

+ saintaqua on January 26th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

PSP? What’s that?
I’m just kidding, but it has been so long.
Hope this is also a dl title so I can play it on my Vita. Even better would be a Vita version with trophies and boosted visuals.

+ J-tight on January 26th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

Hey Everybody This Is Ya Boi J-tight Please Subscribe To jtightbabytooth…And Also Please Go Type In The Youtube Search Bar For The Testers Season 3 Official Anthem, Thanks…. Please Leave Your Comments And Let Me Know What You Think….

+ Enigma777 on January 26th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

It’s kinda nice you’re still releasing PSP games, Atlus.

One game I’d really love to see you localize is Malicious, the PS3/Vita game from Alvion. Please make it happen. I will give you lots of my money!

+ dani_dachamp on January 26th, 2012 at 2:22 pm said:

i need help i lost my account id shaniyousaf plz help sony plz help

+ XFRod on January 26th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

Thank you, Atlus. Looking forward to another dip into the Growlanser world.

So, with all of these HD collections floating around, any conversations around the Atlus offices about some sort of, “Best of Shin Megami Tensei HD Collection” Just imagine…..

Nocturne
Persona
Digital Devil Saga
Art Books
Soundtracks
Assorted Demon Plushies

Epic! Don’t care how much it would cost, you announce that and, I’ll just have my paycheck direct deposited into Atlus’ account tomorrow. Which kind of reminds me, a little tie-wearing, sheep man plushie would have been much cooler than a pair of boxers.

+ k321ut on January 26th, 2012 at 10:53 pm said:

Thank you Atlus for releasing this game! I never thought we would see this. I will be preordering and buying on day 1!

+ FearMonkey on January 26th, 2012 at 11:14 pm said:

Aram, I understand that only the cutscenes will be voiced and will only be in English. The Japanese release was fully voiced, was it not? If so, how could you not fit a fully-voiced English track on there? Does English not compress as much as Japanese? Or is it simply cost-effectiveness?

Also, it says in the Atlus Faithful Newsletter I got in my email, that there were licensing issues with the Japanese audio track. Can you give us any insight as to why Atlus USA seems to have so much trouble with licensing Japanese audio and other companies don’t seem to have this problem? NIS America was able to provide us a full Japanese track for Bleach, which seems to me to be a lot harder to secure licensing rights for considering the star talent in that audio track.

I’m probably going to get this regardless of my annoyance in the lack of audio options, just because I love the Growlanser series so much, but keep in mind, in the future, those of us who like your games, want our experience with the game to be as close to the original release as possible.

Thanks for listening.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on January 27th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

Simply put, the original Japanese voice track is sometimes not even an option. Licensing barriers are not the only reason(s) for what ultimately makes it into the game. As we’ve stated elsewhere, there are a number of other factors. We at ATLUS don’t simply believe in translating a game; we believe localization is something much more than that. In many cases, it makes no sense to include Japanese audio when the subtitles would at times bear little connection to what’s being said.

We’ve also made it clear we’re very aware of how much many of our fans enjoy the original audio tracks and we do everything we can with every title to explore that possibility.

As for a full new English track, the tremendous scope of the project was indeed prohibitive. It was important to us that we make this known at the time of announcement so fans who’d be significantly swayed by this could make an informed decision.

As we say in the blog post, even with voices only in the anime cutscenes, we’re confident everyone will love the game and feel it was worth the wait!

Thanks!

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 27th, 2012 at 12:19 am said:

Wow, I get to complete my Growlanser collection. I still have the PS2 releases. I’ll be buying this no matter what, but let me just say it’d be awesome if this got a digital release so I could play it on my Vita!
If not, well, my PSP will be getting some more use. :D

+ colstripcapn on January 27th, 2012 at 4:02 am said:

*drops to the floor and prostrates*

Thank you for giving us another SRPG!

Turn-based RPG = day one buy. You should do one for the PS3… it is nearly completely void of a good turn based RPG, a completely untapped market you could reap for infinite treasures (ie money in your pockets, LOTS of money!)

Keep up the good work!

+ Silent_Gig on January 27th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

Can you PLEASE work with Ghostlight Ltd publishing to get this a UK release?
Im a little disappointed its not in your contact or deal or whatever you do to make those kinds of things happen.

+ LEAC_OZNEROL on January 27th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

that’s all good but when or is sony ever gonna rerelease FFxII?

+ deafwing on January 27th, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

wow this takes me back

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on January 27th, 2012 at 7:46 pm said:

While I may not be a fan of the Growlanser series I am a fan of the PSP and I will support the system as it goes rifing into the sunset. Now are we going to be seeing a blog post for your other PSP title (Gungnir) anytime soon?

+ tonyhtms on January 28th, 2012 at 12:45 am said:

Will it be available on the PS3?

+ Graywolffe on January 28th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

Launch the same exact product (with a couple of VITA trophies thrown in) and it’s a day one buy for me and many other VITA owners!!! Absolutely no VITA JRPG market near launch…Just an idea.

+ Graywolffe on January 28th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

Ummm…Poor wording. Absolutely no VITA JRPG “competition” near launch (Not till Disgaea). lol