Bloodborne

SSX: Mt. Fuji Details and Reviving a Genre

Andrew Terrett's Avatar + Posted by Andrew Terrett on Jan 27, 2012 // SSX Marketing

SSX for PS3: Mt. Fuji (exclusive)

SSX for PS3: Mt. Fuji (exclusive)SSX for PS3: Mt. Fuji (exclusive)

SSX is just over a month away, and we’re excited to give our PS3 fans in North America some exclusive content to keep you busy on the slopes. Mt. Fuji, the legendary Japanese mountain will only available on PS3 in North America. The mountain that owns the horizon in Tokyo is packed with six unique event drops. Three race drops and three trick drops will have PS3 players carving down and in the majestic landmark in true SSX fashion – with a complete disregard for the laws of physics. From racing through cherry blossoms to tricking off Torii gates, North American Playstation gamers will have something unique to look forward to when SSX arrives on Feb 28th.

Now a few words from the creative director on bringing back SSX from Creative Director Todd Batty:

“Extreme Sports is a dead genre.” Over the past three years I can’t tell you how many times I have heard this. As a gamer who has been playing for more than 20 years and, as a huge fan of games like SSX and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater, it is also something that I refuse to believe.

Don’t get me wrong: I enjoy blowing things up and shooting people in the face as much as the next guy! But spending hundreds of hours with my friends stringing together endless combos in search of the ‘perfect run’ in SSX and THPS is easily some of my fondest gaming memories.

Fast forward nearly a decade and our team is hoping to not only re-launch one of the greatest IP franchises in EA Sports history, but to bring this type of experience back to the forefront of gaming. SSX is a game for gamers.

Arcade games are challenging to design. On one hand, many players expect instant gratification from an arcade title and have little tolerance for an overly steep learning curve. This is actually true of most games today, but is even more important in this type of game. On the other hand, with a shallow learning curve and instant gratification comes the perception (which is often true) that the game lacks depth and is therefore only going to be enjoyable for a short time.

Embracing this challenge from the onset, our team adopted a motto for SSX: “make awesome easy, and make oh-my-god really hard.” Rather than following a more traditional zero-to-hero learning curve, SSX lets you feel like a hero from the first time you pick up the controller. And from there, with a little practice, or in some cases a LOT of practice, you can start to perform like a superhero.

We had three major goals for SSX. The first goal, and where we spent the majority of time and effort with this reboot, was to recapture that core gameplay magic across Race, Trick and Survival events. The second was to build a massive world for players to explore. The third goal was to redefine social gaming on a console with something we call RiderNet.

Race it, Trick It, Survive It

There are three ways to compete in SSX.

Race it is all about bombing down the mountain at insane speeds and trying to find the fastest path down our huge open mountains. Think: Burnout on snow. Beyond that, racing in SSX has always had its own game-changer as doing tricks gives you boost. Your reaction time needs to be lightning quick as youtry to decide whether or not to jump off a huge kickers to earn some valuable boost, or avoid them altogether and stick to the ground so that you don’t lose your speed. When you factor in the coolest new gameplay addition to SSX – a wingsuit that lets you glide high above the terrain for short stints – the level of depth gets even greater.

Trick it has always been the heart and soul of SSX, and this version is no exception. Trick it is all about style and flow, and trying to string together the perfect top-to-bottom combo in order to max your score. In this SSX you can ride everything in the world. Literally. if you can see it, you can ride it. The freedom of trying to grind, backflip, and vault off any piece of terrain means that you’re constantly discovering new tricks and lines on the mountain, even some stuff that we never designed or intended. It’s an awesome feeling knowing that you can make almost any line work if you can find the right angles.

Survive it is something completely new to the SSX franchise. These levels act like mini “boss battles’ where we challenge you to simply make it to the bottom of the mountain in one piece. In game design terms these are referred to as “exciters and delighters” – not meant to be a core part of the experience but something unique and fun to discover hidden among the many awesome race and trick events. Here you will battle different environmental challenges on nine of the most iconic mountains in the world. These challenges range from outrunning and jumping over massive avalanches on Denali in Alaska to riding through perfect darkness in the depths of Kilimanjaro with only a headlamp strapped to your head. Each of these “deadly descents” offers a fresh, and often harrowing, new gameplay experience.

SSX for PS3: Mt. Fuji (exclusive)

The Massive World of SSX

The new SSX has more mountains than all of the previous versions of SSX combined. The massive world you will explore spans the entire globe and includes nine different regions, 29 unique mountains and over 150 different event drops, each unique in their own way and each offering tons of replayability. If you want to earn a gold medal on every drop in the main mode of SSX (named simply, “Explore”) you will find more than 50-100 hours of fun. And once you start chasing your friend’s records on your favorite drops that number will grow even larger. Much larger.

Ridernet

Finally, we wanted to put competition with friends at the absolute heart of the SSX experience, and we do that with something we call RiderNet. Inspired by Criterion’s awesome Autolog feature from NFSHP, RiderNet allows you to compete against ghosts of your friends best runs, points you to drops where your friends are dominating you, recommends drops based on what you and others like, allows you to share and collect something we call “geotags,” which are user-created collectibles found throughout our massive world, and so much more. We even have a mobile RiderNet application in development that lets you see what your friends are up to when you are away from your console and send them messages, letting you congratulate them or talk a little trash…This SSX was built from the ground up for the connected generation.

We think this game represents the beginnings of a new franchise and the return of an almost-forgotten genre, and we hope that after you get your hands on it you will agree.

SSX lands on the PS3 February 28 in North America and March 2 in the rest of the world. In addition, Sony gamers in North America will be treated to an exclusive mountain that is only available on the PS3 – the legendary Mt. Fuji in Japan. Look forward to seeing you all on the slopes!

43 Comments

+ ChaseHammerJ on January 27th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

SWEET!

This reminds me of Cool Boarders. I cant wait to get into this game.

+ NamesIrish13 on January 27th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

Can’t wait for this game. This game is a big one for the wife and me. We always try and beat each others times/scores etc…

Feb 28th… So pumped!

+ remanutd5 on January 27th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

oh my god this game looks so much fun , is it coming to playstation vita ?

+ Chrystolis on January 27th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

Is this really still a month away? Needs to be 2/28 already!!

+ Blade133 on January 27th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

I’ve been playing Tricky nonstop for the past week in preparation. Will we be seeing a demo any time soon?

+ Kinomi_XD on January 27th, 2012 at 7:58 am said:

Mt. Fuji looks beautiful.

+ RE_Player on January 27th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

I’m not joking when I say I pre-ordered the game after reading this. Was getting this day 1 anyway but Mt Fuji is icing on the cake.

+ Smooth423 on January 27th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

This game is going to blow the sports game genre away. Its like tony hawk meets burnout paradise. Amazing graphics good and a great studio to back them up. I look forward to February Vita and SSX. Its going to be sick! Keep up the update Andrew.

+ punkmusic2009 on January 27th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

hi i have a qustion what is sony doing aboute this xbox deal thing i own all the sytems but xbox is coming out with xbox 370 in june of this year and they said they are getting a blue ray player and its going to be better then any gameing console sony has up to 20gb on a singal layer blue ray where xbox 360 will have 80gb on a dule layer blue ray player theres a huge diffets between singal and dule layer plus they forked over alot of money to actvistion to getting there maps first befor anyone in fact 10 new maps are avible now on xbox which im excited becuse if you go to ebay you can get the hd dvd usb for xbox so blue ray inside mean i can play games in blueray wach movies in hd dvd blue ray and all disc formate plus right now im playing soul calibur 5 demo and final fantasy xIII-2 and you dont have it yet for ps3 so everyone relying on ps3 and xbox is going to be better plus i live in canada some service is ownly usa on xbox i can get it the same app

+ DoninYair on January 27th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

What about EU? Are we not getting this, or is it just not a PS3 exclusive over at the PAL regions?
If it’s not on the PAL Blu-Ray, will it be available as DLC?

+ guitarded77 on January 27th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:

SSX and Twisted Metal pre-ordered… February is gonna kick ____!!! I’ve been waiting for both these franchises to make an appearance this console gen.

+ T-Cal on January 27th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

Pre-ordered, can’t wait!

+ zombie9 on January 27th, 2012 at 9:01 am said:

@ punkmusic2009 this is about SSX the greatest snowboarding game to DATE. and your talking about crap box. I think your in the wrong thread. I for one do not care about your Red ring of death machine.

+ bgardner on January 27th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

ssx best snowboarding game ever shawn white should be crying. i bet shawn white snowboarding 2 will be coming out now to try and beat ssx will fail hard

+ bgardner on January 27th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

ssx for for life snowboarding back now in hd

+ Carl-G on January 27th, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

PS3 Exclusive Mountain? COOL:P
+ What about a HD update with Trophies for the 1st 3 SSX games that were on the PS2? That would be cool
+ i was going to say ‘i wish the new SSX game had a 4 player split-screen mode with bots to’(but i won’t :D because no one bothers doing that anymore) :-(

+ Zookey on January 27th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Big questions:

A) Is there a Vita version in the works? Some places, like Wikipedia, claim so–if so I’ll wait for that version!

B) Any chance, through DLC or otherwise, you guys could ressurect the true classic SSX tracks like Japan Megaplex or the one in Hawaii where you are snowboarding on a melting ice berg? Or the one where you were snowboarding through a town even–there was so many creative tracks in SSX and SSX Tricky that I’d love to see come back—PLEASE!!!!

+ SRY2RUINYOPLANS on January 27th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Cool Boarders has nothing on SSX… Although I’m sad to see this Sony Exclusive Game is going to XBOX… And if they are going to go there how come it don’t release for PC? Also seeing that this release has been push back so many times… It would be nice to get a demo right about now… Just Say’n…

+ C-TOWNDAWG216 on January 27th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Can’t wait to get our hands on this!!! My entire family even the wife loves all SSX games… WONDERING WHAT BONUS CONTENT YOU GET ON THE PRE-ORDER TIP????

+ punkmusic2009 on January 27th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

@zombie9 apaertly alot of pepplpoe care becuse games like this will have more storge to fit more contact meaning more things in game better graphs and more excluvies then sony go to google type in singal layer vr dule layer blueray theres a huge diffents games like this have more to do on a dule layer then sony singal layer so this dose relate to this game plus read the blog it says dont be a jerk so anybody is free to ask questions they dont need someone like you to give adtude you can say it politly ok

+ zombie9 on January 27th, 2012 at 9:57 am said:

@ punkmusic2009
hey in case you diddn’t know MGS4 was put on a dual layer Blueray disk. I has well over 40gis on it. PS3 can read a dual layer 50gig Blueray disk. your 30 mores gigs are week considering you know nothing about PS4 yet.

+ LUGIEZ on January 27th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

Really looking forward to finally having a next gen. snowboarding game to shred upon.

+ VixDiesel on January 27th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

I’m getting this regardless….but when is the demo coming out?

+ GroovyJooky on January 27th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

fthfg

+ Glacier928 on January 27th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Can’t wait for this game to come out! Been waiting for a true SSX game since SSX 3 and all indications are pointing to this new installment reaching that status. I had a strong feeling that the PS3 version would get some form of exclusive content (as I stated in my article attached below). While I predicted an HD version of SSX 3 (and still hope for that one day!), an exclusive mountain is sweet too!

+ station3fever on January 27th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

ANDREW……… YOU FORGOT TO ADD “BE”. Mt. Fuji, the legendary Japanese mountain will only …………….. PS3 in North America……. Just looking out , your welcome & no problem :)

+ Light-and-magic on January 27th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

Are you serious? If America are getting Mount Fuji and Europe isn’t I’m cancelling my preorder now

+ VixDiesel on January 27th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

What is this “Limited Edition” of the game that sites are talking about….?

+ XxKyubi_kunxX on January 27th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

@punkmusic2009

Jesus christ dude, learn how to use punctuation.

For one thing, this most certainly isn’t the place to talk about the Xbox without getting some sort of backlash from fanboys.

Second, there are no confirmed reports about any of the next gen consoles besides the Wii-U. All you are hearing are rumors. Especially about it’s release date. If you’ve actually taken the time to look into this stuff, it’s all just speculation. The next Xbox will most certainly not be released in June. Microsoft has publicly announced that the 360 will have (at least) a 10 year lifespan to match that of the PS3. That sets the date in 2015. It’s also been said that we will see neither a new Xbox or Playstation until 2014. What you probably got your information from is that they will likely unveil the next Xbox at this years E3, but not release.

+ polo155 on January 27th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

Yea I deff can’t wait for this, I love the winter sport things!

If I can play this on Vita as well it’ll be a plus but I’m getting it no matter what… But don’t let that discourage you from implementing Remote Play of a mini version of the game for partial gaming/ take just the Mode you need like story or practice mode… Ya kno, a lite version!

+ Capt_Darling on January 27th, 2012 at 1:51 pm said:

This is one EU customer that has just cancelled their pre-order.

Well done EA, you’ve done it again.
Shame as I was really looking forward to this, I still have copies of SSX & SSX3 on PS2.

+ lisatsunami on January 27th, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

Am I the only one who would like Move support? Not Move required but Move support so I can throw my back out while racing away from avalanches.

The game looks very exciting & the exclusive Fuji-san is a very nice bonus.

+ VixDiesel on January 27th, 2012 at 3:55 pm said:

For the Euro people…there’s supposedly a Limited Edition that sells Fuji and Eddie on both consoles. Check GAME for info.

+ raelalt on January 27th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

If I hadn’t already bought a PS3 to play GT5 (I’m primarily a PC game player), this would have also motivated me to get one. Love the SSX series.

+ AgentAnderson on January 27th, 2012 at 10:07 pm said:

It looks nothing like the Mt Fuji I climbed twice, but I guess Hollywood wins! I don’t remember much red on my journey’s there!

+ wyatt11295 on January 28th, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

Race it is probably going to be my favorite aspect about this game,not to say that Trick it [what the SSX fanchise is known most for] isn,t going to be sweet too! I mean together on SSX games ive played all together just over 4 hours, all on 3 but I put over probably 230 hours on .1080. AVALANCHE on the GAMECUBE.

+ wyatt11295 on January 28th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

This, SLY 4,and BIRDS OF STEEL will make 2012 for me, in the gaming department!

+ KILLSON13 on January 30th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

Im a little confused… is there a sort of Online competitve play? Ive seen how you race against your friends ghost but can you race them in real time?

+ inFAMOUS-787 on January 30th, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

can not wait!!!! soooo freakin stoked!

+ Sobe121 on January 30th, 2012 at 6:23 pm said:

AHHHH!!! i want this sooo bad…but im buying the jak and daxter collection, probably wont be able to get this till my b-day. some 1 want to buy it for me :D?

+ Shishimo9000 on January 30th, 2012 at 7:33 pm said:

@SRY2RUINYOPLANS SSX was on Gamecube and PS2 if i remember correctly so it was never a Playstation exclusive…

@punkmusic2009 Have you been living under a rock since 2008? WTH are you talking about?!?!

+ Dikard_von_Doom on February 1st, 2012 at 11:19 pm said:

You had me at wingsuit…
/tear

+ DonavanPhoenix on February 22nd, 2012 at 3:31 am said:

Everyone from the EU dont worry, just check amazon or gamestop and look whats the preorder deal is. It might be aswell Mt. Fuji or Eddie as playable character. I just preordered from amazon and it said i get Mt. Fuji aswell (Im from germany). Maybe someone should update the article cuz its not NA exclusive anymore.