No Man's Sky

PlayStation Plus February Preview: Free The Simpsons Arcade Game, Far Cry 2, Final Fantasy V and More

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Jan 31, 2012 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

February is nearly here, so it’s time to have a look at what’s coming to PlayStation Plus.

To start, we’re excited to bring new release The Simpsons Arcade Game as a free offering for PlayStation Plus subscribers! Releasing on February 7th, subscribers will be able to relive this classic title remastered in HD, complete with the online four-player cooperative play it’s famous for. To celebrate Valentine’s Day, Plus subscribers will have access to download a bonus PS3 full game – Far Cry 2.

PlayStation Plus

You’re also going to want to check out the other free games coming throughout the month, including Square Enix’s PS one classic Final Fantasy V, two PlayStation minis, six additional PSN games, and the SEGA Genesis Bundle – timed with SEGA’s two-week release and sale on the Store put back in Plus just in case anyone missed them.

In the discount department, PlayStation Plus subscribers will want to keep their eyes out for great sales on games like new release The House of the Dead III (30% Off) Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Bundle) (20% off), and Hamilton’s Great Adventure (50% off PSN sale price). There’s plenty more we couldn’t squeeze into this post, so keep your eye on the Store Update PlayStation.Blog posts in February to keep up with Plus updates as they come.

Finally, next Tuesday we’ll release an early-access demo of The House of the Dead III exclusively for PlayStation Plus. Here’s a trailer of this PSN exclusive arcade shooter with HD graphics, Trophies and full PlayStation Move support.

Some content and/or release dates outlined may change including the addition or removal of content. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, or continue the discussion on the PlayStation Community forums in the Official PlayStation Plus Update thread.

PlayStation Plus

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Click here to purchase your subscription today!

PS3 Full Games: Far Cry 2 – 2/14 (V-Day Special One Week Offer)
PSN Games: The Simpsons Arcade Game – 2/7
Gold Medalist – 2/7
PS one Classics: Final Fantasy V – 2/7
Full Game Trials: Grand Theft Auto IV – 2/14
Deus Ex: Human Revolution – 2/21
Tom Clancy’S H.A.W.X 2 -2/21
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 -2/28
Early Access Demo: The House Of The Dead III Exclusive Playstation Plus Demo – 2/7
Media: Qore Episode 44 – February – 2/7
Avatars and Themes: The House of the Dead 3 Dynamic Theme
Start The Party 2 Dynamic Theme – 2/21
The House Of The Dead III – Agent G Avatar
The House Of The Dead III – Lisa Avatar
The House Of The Dead III – Z1 Avatar
PSN Games Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Bundle) – 2/14 (PS+ Price: $23.99)
The House of the Dead III – 30% off Crazy Taxi & SEGA Rally Arcade – Drive Me Crazy Bundle – 20% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $9.59)
Sonic Rivals 1 – 25% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $5.99)
Sonic Rivals 2 – 25% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $5.99)
Sar – Search and Rescue Mini – 20% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $TBD)
Hamilton’s Great Adventure – 50% off Sale Price – 2/21 (PS+ Price $2.50)

+ themajestic-2 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

wtf…are you serious the simpsons arcade???? im gunna be all over that!

+ mcloven12346 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

awsome ps pluss update line up you guys really made me happy this monuth since i am turning 20 i was a lil up set about my birthday comeing up u know geting up sucks but u made feb even better thanks

+ Emerald_Swords on January 31st, 2012 at 9:10 am said:

So much awesomeness in this update

+ DrPhiill on January 31st, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

Wooohooo! i think iv died and gone to Plus heaven! Looks like Feb will be a awesome month! and Valentine, what a day! Twisted Metal and Far Cry 2! cant go wrong with that ^^

+ xKOROSHIYAx on January 31st, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

Ok, so I’ve never been interested in PlayStation Plus. I own all of the PSN games I actually want and I still have the old 60GB launch PS3 with the memory card reader, so I can back up all of my saves locally. But this offer might actually get me to finally join.

+ Superstone on January 31st, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

I need a bigger hard drive.

+ Curtisio on January 31st, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

This is good. No better than good – It’s fantastic! This is why PS rules!

Thank you!

+ jwspiker on January 31st, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

amazing update, simply amazing. Best update thus far, tons of free stuff! Keep it up, hope this is a sign of good things to come.

+ Yohmaru_EX on January 31st, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

wooooooooooooow, epic upate!!! Thanks Sony!!! FarCry 2 and Final Fantasy!!!

How about Deus Ex? How much is it?? $29,90 please please :P

+ FORMIK on January 31st, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

Hey people, it’s OK if games get released again after a few months – those that recently joined should get a chance to pick up these great games.

Could you give more details about The Simpsons?

Also, how about in a future firmware update, you allow us to check the following to be automatically downloaded:
- Qore
- Pulse
- The Tester

+ Onvertic on January 31st, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

So, Final Fantasy V disappears from the download history when your ps plus subscription runs out or will it be permanent?

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 31st, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

As long as you’re a Plus subscriber, you can access FFV if you download it free from Plus. As always, and with all free content in Plus, once your sub is runs out, you can not access that content. But if you renew, you’ll be able to access it once again should your sub lapse.

+ ASSHAT222 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

I am stoked that HOD 3 is coming out and is cheap, I already own this game on 2 other systems. Any word on when HOD 4 will be coming out?

+ Sevyne on January 31st, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

Heh, with how many games I have through both purchases and Plus it would be nice if I was able to sort my games alphabetically. Current sorting options really do suck.

+ Budapesti on January 31st, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

So many happy memories playing The Simpson’s arcade game.
Now it’s coming to PSN?
For free???

This, Far Cry 2 and FFV should ease the wait for a certain new piece of Playstation hardware later in the month…

+ DeathGazer on January 31st, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

Best part isI haven’t bought any of these games before. FFV, Battle-Cars, HamsterBall, Battle Fantastia…this is so awesome!!

I already own the Genesis games from PS+ before, but that definitely sweetens the deal for newer subscribers.

+ iTofuMan on January 31st, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

final fantasy and the simpson arcade? Finally a PS+ update that i actually enjoy! Just wondering though if it has online? a game like that needs to be played with various other people. what about drop in-out?

Other than that nothing is interesting. i still dont get why you have to take content out of ps+ only to have them reuploaded less than year later. in my opinion it would be smart to have all ps+ content up and running till 1 full year then change it. i mean this for only free games. deals/sale/etc i can understand.

+ Budapesti on January 31st, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

@Onvertic
I don’t think it disappears from your download history, but you won’t be able to play it until you re-subscribe to plus. However, once you’re subscribed again anything you downloaded previously will be re-activated and will work again fine.

+ Budapesti on January 31st, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

@iTofuMan The Simpson’s Arcade has online multiplayer for up to four people.

+ famousmortimer on January 31st, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

This is an amazing month so I don’t mean this as complaining, but I was really hoping to see some Vita stuff in here — more just as proof that Vita stuff will be a part of PSN+ like PSP stuff has been.

Oh well.

This month is amazing though. For those of ya’ll that haven’t played Far Cry 2 yet you’re in for a treat. The main game is fun but it’s at its best when you just wander the countryside and make your own tale of murder.

+ MalGanis-DL on January 31st, 2012 at 9:26 am said:

OMG OMG OMG Amazing Update

+ Ichywawa on January 31st, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

This is an awesome month of deals… but could you have waited a month, will all the big games coming out in the next week already (ff 13-2, kingdoms of amalur, jak and daxter) i dont have time to add more games that i need to play :( (doesnt mean i wont download them)

+ GypsieWind on January 31st, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

My PS+ is expiring in February and I was debating whether or not to renew, this line up made the decision easy. Sign me up for another year. :D

+ oycomics on January 31st, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

I sunk so many quarters into The Simpsons Arcade back in the day it was ridiculous. Let’s just say it was a lot more than the $50/yr. PS+ costs, so getting the game for free (an hopefully actually getting to finish it this time) is absolutely amazing. I honestly didn’t even know it was on PSN in general, or I might have already purchased it by now. :/

I’ve always been curious to play Far Cry 2, so that will be fun.

And I already have FFV (bought it on day one of its PSN debut) and those Genesis games (from the first round), but you know what? That’s okay. I’m glad other people will have the chance to catch-up, and the Simpsons game alone is more than I get out of my Xbox LIVE subscription on a monthly basis.

+ Major_Hoare on January 31st, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

February appears to be a great month for PS+

+ Zezzler on January 31st, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

Jeez sony, now i have to re-subscribe.
Why do you keep doing this to me!?

+ JonJonXD on January 31st, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

YESSSS! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

+ Benmo316 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

This is going to be a great month!

+ Sephir007 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

Woow! great gifts! I’m really glad to be a PS PLUS subscriber, and overall to be a PS gamer!

I just want to say to everyone that its hesitant to subscribe, give it a try, it’s worth every cent you pay for it, and more.

+ Adelflame on January 31st, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

Can we get more info on the simpsons arcade game? a trailer or something with the “new feautures” it has

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 31st, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

You’ll see more info on this title in the coming weeks.

+ cwsluke on January 31st, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

Thank you PlayStation Plus for making my Birth-Day month!

+ pgharavi on January 31st, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

nice!

+ mcloven12346 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

@80 mine too lol your birthday feb 21st by any chance

+ remanutd5 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

will playstation vita games be part of playstation plus ? i mean how about playstation plus for playstation vita owners ?

+ Heisem on January 31st, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

@Morgan Haro
i missed the GoW3 DLC because i was on vacation during that week, any chance of having a re-release of that DLC? it’s not fair having PS+ and not being able to add the content of my subscription to my list without a PS3

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 31st, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

That’s great feedback, and we’ve got our eye on addressing this issue.

+ DirjelJunshin on January 31st, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

Wow, this is a pretty awesome update. I’ll take it :D

+ VacuusDeus on January 31st, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

Nice update for the month.

Now if only Final Fantasy Tactics were to be the PS1 freebie of the month I’d be all sorts of set.

+ Souledge94 on January 31st, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

wait im confused. How much is house of the dead 3 for the PS+ members?

+ TwinDad on January 31st, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

Just an idea. It would be nice to get an option of purchase for the free games too. I would like to say be able to purchase the free game for some of them. Such as FF 5. It would be nice to be able to purchase for a discount. Yes, free is cheaper than a sale, but if I choose to discontinue plus I don’t have the game anymore, so a sale is longer term.

+ VixDiesel on January 31st, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

SSX demo?? Please!

+ KidCommando on January 31st, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

I can’t believe it!

There are almost 100 comments, there are 7 replies, and the rating is still a solid 5 of 5.

the world will most definitely be ending in 2012.

+ Taco_Grande on January 31st, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

All I can say about this decent update…….ABOUT FLIPPIN TIME.

Weak update after weak update. This is actually decent. Not everything applies to me (sega collection, I am looking at you) but you cant be winner everytime. Hey that should be the new motto for Sony. It’ll be their excuse whenever it is a late update or an empty one (like last week)

We can’t be winners everytime kids. So, gimmie sum mo’ money, punks !

BWA-HA-HA-HA !!!! (ROFL at my own stupid jokes)

+ ItaChu on January 31st, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

buuuuu not cool you already put those Genesis games free last year :( and I got them all at those times :) …oh well i guess I can become PS Plus again on Valentines day to get Farcry 2 on my account at least … and the Simpson game my favorite childhood arcade game :)

+ blakseed on January 31st, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

This is why I’m a happy PS+ subscriber. Looking good.

+ dilbig5 on January 31st, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

I might become a Plus member again next week. Great content

+ snakeman07 on January 31st, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

17 Free games? Now that’s a PS+ update! I can’t wait for February!

+ ItaChu on January 31st, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Battle Fantasia – 2/14
….its a free game or its getting a discount? which is it?

+ PlatinumAura on January 31st, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Im not complaining Ill even pay the discount this is one HELL of a plus month(glad Im subscribed)
but is Battle fantasia and Fatal Inertia also free?

+ TheUndertaker85 on January 31st, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Fantastic Plus updates coming for February! I’ve been thinking about getting Far Cry 2 for some time now but always put it on the back burner for other titles that have come out and other discounted titles through Plus. The Simpsons Arcade Game will be a fantastic bonus too!

That said…

Is GTA IV going digital a sign of GTA 3 and Vice City coming sooner rather than later? Would be good if so. Hoping for HD remakes but Classics would be good too. If these titles are all added, GET A HD REMAKE OF SAN ANDREAS AVAILABLE! I know many including myself would consider this a must buy.

Also, please allow us to choose what content we want to auto download via Plus and Automatic Downloads. Would be nice if we could choose to auto download games, themes, add-ons, avatars, or other Plus content when our systems kick on for Auto Update. This would make it so any Plus members who have Auto Update on wouldn’t miss any of the Plus content they should get during their subscription periods, even if they are on vacation or away.

+ Trieloth on January 31st, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Oh wow! now thats some great games for FREEEEEEE!!! Iam excited for these and some discounts on other stuff. I have been a Plus member since day one and its been worth every penny and it keeps getting better and better :)

+ Watchmann on January 31st, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

I’ve long since stopped bothering to tally what I’ve saved off ps+ related discounts. The service has been very consistent over the last few months, and this preview is a perfect example of why. It seems that Sony staff have paid attention to the concerns raised about duplicate content for those that have been subbing since day one. I have no concerns with duplicate content provided the rest of the offerings balance things out. It’s nice to see that PS+ hasn’t suffered from a bait & switch as Quore did in its second year. The only thing negative I can think to say is that the high quality of the offerings in year 2 might be foreshadowing a price hike for ps + come year 3!