PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Lumines Electronic Symphony: Q Entertainment’s Love Letter to Electronic Music

James Mielke's Avatar + Posted by James Mielke on Feb 01, 2012 // Producer, Q Entertainment

PS Vita -- Lumines: Electronic Symphony

When we first began work on Lumines Electronic Symphony, we envisioned a game that would take Lumines players through a diverse but unified sampling of electronic music. This would allow us to entertain players and expose them to some amazing music. With that in mind, we gathered together a diverse array of artists who would collectively compose our “electronic symphony.” Below is the full list of artists and songs that will make up the 33-licensed tracks in Lumines Electronic Symphony:

• “4 AM” – Kaskade
  • “Aganju” – Bebel Gilberto
  • “Always Loved A Film” – Underworld
  • “Apollo Throwdown” – The Go! Team
  • “Automatons” – Anything Box
  • “Autumn Love” – SCSI-9
  • “Bang Bang Bang” – Mark Ronson & The Business
  • “Celebrate Our Love” – Howard Jones
  • “Close (To The Edit)” – Art of Noise
  • “Disco Infiltrator” – LCD Soundsystem
  • “Dissolve” – The Chemical Brothers
  • “Embracing The Future” – B.T.
  • “Flyin’ Hi” – Faithless
  • “The Sun Rising” – The Beloved
  • “What’s Your Number” – Ian Pooley
  • “Windowlicker” – Aphex Twin
  • “Wolfgang’s 5th Symphony” – Wolfgang Gartner
  • “Wooden Toy” – Amon Tobin
  • “Yesterday When I Was Mad (Jam & Spoon Mix)” – Pet Shop Boys

Finally, to end the game on a beautiful note, we enlisted the aid of Orbital’s “Never” to close out the credits of Lumines Electronic Symphony.

Now that we’ve announced the full tracklisting for Lumines Electronic Symphony, not only is this the perfect opportunity to delve deeper into the musical direction behind the game, but we’ve also reached out to some of the artists featured in Electronic Symphony to comment on their inclusion in Q Entertainment’s love letter to electronic music. That’s how ambitious our scope was when we set out to compile a sampling of the finest electronic musicians in the world in one game. In the end, we managed to do a pretty good job covering all the bases in a span of 34 songs.

Our goal was simple. We wanted to tell a story through sound. With this in mind, our song selection was done to replicate a groovy lounge instead of trying to develop a non-stop 140BPM megamix. The soundtrack is designed to rise and fall like waves, giving the player both rhythm and respite, which would feel like a musical journey.

Even more exciting than announcing this soundtrack is hearing some of the reactions from the artists that are being featured in our game. Joining us in the celebration of Lumines Electronic Symphony’s soundtrack announcement are Benny Benassi, SCSI-9, The Go! Team and Howard Jones.

Lumines Electronic Symphony for PS Vita

Benny Benassi

James Mielke: We’ve included your song ‘Good Girl’ in Lumines because we love your distinctive electronic sound. How do you feel about your music being in a video game? Are you looking forward to playing it?

Benny Benassi: Hi, I’m here in the studio with my cousin, Alle Benassi, who is my producer and musician. We want to answer these questions together as they also concern the production. Thanks for the compliments and support! We are really happy that the track is in the video game. The music and the game are both forms of electronic entertainment, so it makes sense, for sure. And yes, we’re looking forward to trying out the game!

JM: With Sony’s PlayStation Vita coming out, are you excited to get your music in front of millions of gamers who may discover your music for the first time?

BB: This is one of the amazing ‘side effects’ of this kind of exploitation of our music. It’s a way to reach people who don’t normally go to clubs or listen to club music. It’s really exciting.

Lumines Electronic Symphony for PS Vita

SCSI-9 (Electronic duo from Russia)

James Mielke: Is this your first time a song of yours has been licensed into a video game? If so, do you also play video games, and how does it feel to have your song Autumn Love included?

SCSI-9: So far we know about it only by email, so it stays a bit abstract right now. But, at some point people we know will play the game and – huh ?! – “This is SCSI-9 …?!” They will probably call us and that’s where the fun begins. But, seriously, this is great news. Videogames have developed into a really powerful dimension of graphics, production, SFX and music as well. This is the first time we’ve licensed a tune for a game, so we are quite happy.

JM: This LUMINES game is a collection of some of the greatest electronic music of the past 30 years. Your song is included along with groups like Faithless, The Chemical Brothers, Underworld, The Art of Noise, Goldfrapp, and more. Do you think this is a cool way to expose your music to a new International audience?

SCSI-9: Exactly. Today the flood of music is so immense that you will appreciate any opportunity to promote your music. We rarely get international airplay on TV or radio so it’s great that Lumines can give us a lift to somebody’s mind.

Lumines Electronic Symphony for PS Vita

THE GO! TEAM

(replied to by main songwriter, Ian Parton)
James Mielke: We included your song Apollo Throwdown in our game, because it has an incredibly uplifting atmosphere, a great beat and a funky rap. It’s actually quite a standout in the game’s soundtrack as a result. How do you feel about our selection of this song for the game, and what’s the inspiration of the song?

IP: I wanted to make Apollo Throwdown a kind of warped space-age old school hip-hop song. It’s quite strange and unmistakably The Go! Team, I think. There’s girl gangs, a strange flute through a delay pedal and even a Bollywood string section going on….

JM: We put your song ‘Bottle Rocket’ in Lumines II. Are you excited to introduce your music to a whole new generation of gamers in Lumines Electronic Symphony? We are!

IP: Yes, I always like it when Go! Team music is used on creative stuff and the LUMINES game looks real nice. It’s cool when you’re introducing yourself to a bunch of people who might never have heard you otherwise

Lumines Electronic Symphony for PS Vita

Howard Jones

James Mielke: I don’t know if any of your songs have ever been used in a videogame before, but how do you feel about people discovering your music through games? Do you think ‘Celebrate Our Love’ is a good introduction to people who may not be familiar with your work?

HJ: I think a few pieces have been used in games before but nothing from the Revolution of the Heart album. I am very pleased that you see quality music as a priority in the gaming experience. I love all the tracks on ROTH and I think Celebrate Our Love is a great introduction to the album.

JM: Did you play video games during the 80s arcade craze? Wondering what your thoughts are on games in general and whether game music is anything you’d be interested in composing. Gaming consoles allow composers to do a lot with sounds these days.

HJ: I was a big Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Galaxians fan and then bought a Defender machine. Unfortunately I ended up playing it so much I had to give it away so that I could get on with some music! I also enjoyed the problem-solving games like Myst. I am interested in all new ways of interacting with music.

+ David2Crazy on February 1st, 2012 at 7:11 am said:

Wow, what a wide spectrum of great music. Like, Aganju?! It’s such a random song to have but I love that it’s on this list. Honestly wasn’t expecting to pick this one up at launch but I’ll be reconsidering that. Also glad that former 1up’er James Mielke is on this project.

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

It really makes me happy to hear this. Of course the big club hits are going to appease the 140bpm crowd, but we wanted to really reach out in the electronic spectrum and put in a really diverse array of songs. So glad you love Aganju!

+ NHDrumline17 on February 1st, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Music looks great! Any word on the price of the game off of the PS Store?

+ Reluctant-Hero on February 1st, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

Yup, I’ll be downloading this on day one.

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

Thank you!

+ eaglefan129 on February 1st, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

I know this is off topic but why is everything blue?

+ LUGIEZ on February 1st, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

oooo blue it is! this game looks up my alley for sure. can’t wait to try it out.

+ Alex Monney on February 1st, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

We can’t wait for you to try it!

+ ebbhead1991 on February 1st, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Oh man, did you guys raid my iPod or what? How awesome to see one of my favorite bands of all time, Anything Box, among a veritable who’s-who list of musical greats, past and present! Claude, Gary, and Dania must be ecstatic.

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

Thanks! Please spread the news to the world of Anything Box fans. I’ve tried to let Claude know via the various Anything Box sites, but I haven’t heard back. It’s my way of supporting great electronic music like.

+ KingofDreams5150 on February 1st, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

This game will be a day one purchase for me. I enjoy puzzle games, but when they add awesome music they become that much better.

+ Alex Monney on February 1st, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

#HIGHFIVE!

+ daascender on February 1st, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Nice selection of music!

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

Thanks! We put a lot of thought into it. Glad you like it.

+ Nightshade_Zero on February 1st, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

Man, I’m so stoked for this game! I freakin’ love Lumines!

+ venkat4647 on February 1st, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

hi

+ VincentVendetta on February 1st, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

OH MY GOD! …OH MY GOD!!! Aphex Twin? Chemical Brothers? Art of Noise? LCD Soundsystem? I can’t believe it!

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

Believe it! I thought some people might be surprised by The Art Of Noise. Glad to see when it’s appreciated. :)

+ Ouren on February 1st, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

Ol’ boy Milky!
I look forward to this, I’ve only ever heard good things about Lumines.

+ Graywolffe on February 1st, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Lumines 1 & 2 were great on the PSP: Love the new addition of avatar abilities. I’ll definitely be downloading this one before long.

+ Explosio5 on February 1st, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

I love the new look of the PlayStation.Blog!
Nice work!

P.S. Congratulations to Kazuo Hirai for becoming Sony’s next president!

+ sectionz on February 1st, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

For any of you Spotify users I made this playlist of almost all of the tracks so we can listen obsessively for the next 14 days (because of course you got a First Edition Bundle right?)

+ QuantumMercury on February 1st, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

You have got to be joking. This is the game I was debating getting the Vita for and that soundtrack looks so incredible. I am waiting to see the trophy list for this game, for the love of all that is good please have a platinum trophy and please make it extremely hard to get.

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 7:14 pm said:

I’m happy to tell you that there is a Platinum Trophy in Lumines Electronic Symphony. How hard it is to get depends on how good you are at Lumines!

+ Angry-Puppy on February 1st, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

This post just made me rush to Amazon to pre-order.

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

Woo!

+ weeskwee on February 1st, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

sectionz, you are my hero. If you have other cool Spotify playlists i’d love to hear them. Seems like you have good taste in music. :)

+ Dren on February 1st, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

I wasn’t really planning on buying this, but I will probably pick it up just for the music in it. I know that sounds weird, but if I’m already listening to music like this on my free time I might as well be playing something too :D

+ James Mielke on February 2nd, 2012 at 2:15 am said:

That’s as good a reason as any to buy Lumines!

+ atm153 on February 1st, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

I think this just sold me on a Vita. Goodness. Looks fantastic, LCD Soundsystem song gets massive points.

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 11:08 pm said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed LCD Soundsystem!

+ punguy on February 1st, 2012 at 9:06 pm said:

this is my first game ill buy with the vita.

+ James Mielke on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:40 am said:

Thanks!

+ MakoSama02 on February 1st, 2012 at 9:10 pm said:

Day 1 purchase, and my reason for buying a Vita. Lumines on the original PSP was my most played game ever aside from MMO’s, and this one looks amazing! Sad to see no Genki Rockets though =[ I’d kill for Evolution from Child of Eden.

+ Kchow23 on February 1st, 2012 at 9:21 pm said:

Two more weeks!! Cant wait to try out the Lumines and hopefully the music is as awesome as Child of Eden’s.

+ venkat4647 on February 1st, 2012 at 10:13 pm said:

awesome

+ Garylisk on February 1st, 2012 at 10:48 pm said:

Snap! Nice track list! Chemical Brothers, Wolfgang Gartner, and Aphex Twin top my list of stuff I can’t wait to play. I wish we could have seen some Deadmau5 in there, though!

+ James Mielke on February 1st, 2012 at 11:09 pm said:

We definitely had Deadmau5 on our wishlist. Just couldn’t license him in time. Next time for sure!

+ MaximusPrimus on February 1st, 2012 at 11:44 pm said:

I”m so so excited for this now. I’m 29 and just a year ago got into electronic music big time, and i only know a few DJ’s on that list, this will be a great opportunity to expose myself to some new dj’s/producers! Try and license some Bassnectar next time around ;) Thanks Milky

+ James Mielke on February 2nd, 2012 at 12:23 am said:

I love Bassnectar! Great beats. Next time for sure! You’re welcome. Please enjoy the tunes!

+ QuantumMercury on February 2nd, 2012 at 5:54 am said:

I can’t believe I’m going to end up spending $350 just so I can play this game haha. Hoping you bring out some good DLC packs with more tracks, skins… and of course trophies!

+ dyragon on February 3rd, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

will we see a return of vs cpu mode n the future

+ Allenultima on February 3rd, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

This is an amazing list! I was hoping for some Massive Attack, Portishead, Daft Punk, Burial, Dj Shadow, Moby, and/or Pendulum, but oh well. In fact, it’s probably better that theirs artists I haven’t heard of on this list, so I get introduced to new music.

+ TheBanditKing on February 4th, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

I don’t really care for the licensed tracks, then again I don’t like techno/trance music. I do however like Lumines and would like to know how many original tracks there are going to be. Also it makes me sad that you guys put so much effort into western artists tracks but the artists that made Lumines on PSP so awesome, Mondo Grosso and Eri Nobuchika are absent. Also is there a way to turn off tracks? As Hey Boy Hey Girl is enough to make me skip this game, ugh chemical brothers…..you I wish you had gotten Daft Punk to replace their two tracks (one more time is so much better of a choice for Lumines)

+ Venom1976 on February 4th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

Definitely looking to pick this one up! If not day one soon thereafter. Any chance the originals will ever be available to download? I have the originals on UMD and i’ve bought the first one twice because I wear it out.

+ TheChaosDivision on February 5th, 2012 at 1:39 am said:

I have only heard of The Chemical Brothers. Am I just too old or am I just not in touch with whats popular?

+ vakamacarlos94 on February 17th, 2012 at 11:03 pm said:

Safri Duo, The Chemical Brothers, Wolfgang Gartner, System F, Ken Ishii, Wink, B.T, Benny Benassi, Faithless and Amon Tobin? I am getting a heart attack, this is probably one of the greatest soundtracks in a videogame. I was excited when I heard Safri Duo on a video but the full list is just incredible, the first game I’ll get for it will be this, period.