PS4 - Destiny

The Last of Us Coming to Game Informer Magazine’s March Cover

Bryan Vore's Avatar + Posted by Bryan Vore on Feb 02, 2012 // Associate Editor, Game Informer

It was only a few weeks ago that a small crew of Game Informer editors and myself left the frigid winter of Minnesota for the sunny shores of Santa Monica to visit one of the best developers in the world. It’s been a tough wait, but we’re excited to finally announce Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us as our March cover.

GI: The Last of Us

At the studio, we were ushered past numerous awards for blockbuster series like Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and UNCHARTED, but it was inside Naughty Dog’s impressive movie theater-style presentation room that we got to see and discuss what we came there for. On day one, Director Bruce Straley and Creative Director Neil Druckmann talked about their vision for the game while co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra discussed their decision to double the staff and create an entirely separate team from the UNCHARTED crew.

Before long they fired up an amazing live gameplay demo showcasing the combat, stealth, and presentation style and offering a glimpse at the evolving character relationship between protagonists Joel and Ellie. The team offered frank and open responses to all of our questions and only really held back on heavy spoilers and elements that weren’t 100 percent nailed down yet. They were also gracious enough to play through the whole fascinating demo again (and we didn’t even have to beg that much).

On day two, we conducted several on-camera interviews and rounded up loads of online content that will roll out throughout the entire month of February. So be sure to head over to gameinformer.com to see our full front and back panoramic cover image and keep coming back for more The Last of Us throughout the days ahead. In fact, you don’t have to wait long. At 4:00PM Central Time today, we’re exclusively debuting the first three in-game screenshots of The Last of Us. We’ll see you there!

23 Comments

+ Heavenly_king on February 2nd, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

Nice :D

+ jonny2010 on February 2nd, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

cant wait!

+ remanutd5 on February 2nd, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

whats this ? show new gameplay video instead , lots of people are drooling for nothing , i wanna see more about it before i get excited , i havent seen anything that interest me yet

+ twistedfloyd on February 2nd, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Awesome, looking forward to seeing more!

+ ShadowOfEden on February 2nd, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

@remanutd5

It’s made by Naughty Dog. Their history is what makes people expect good things from this game.

+ Enigma777 on February 2nd, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

Can’t wait to read it!

+ Explosio5 on February 2nd, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

I can’t wait for the game!

+ slydaniels on February 2nd, 2012 at 3:25 pm said:

ND has never let me down before when it comes to awesome games!

Crash was great!
Jak was awesome!
Uncharted was awesome TACO!
The Last of Us will be awesome Sub-way sub!

+ JoeTheBeast16 on February 2nd, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

I’m VERY excited for this game.
Can’t wait.

+ thebgj on February 2nd, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

I cant wait to see a gameplay trailer.

+ RydogV on February 2nd, 2012 at 11:00 pm said:

Very much looking forward to this article. Looks like a great IP. Would love it if they could get one of the GI writers or a Naughty Dog dev onto the PS Blogcast talking about this one.

+ unbornsoldier on February 2nd, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

looking forward to reading every single page on the last of us!!@ sid shuman @ jeff rubenstein @ nick @ rey guiterez when can we expect a representative of naughty dog to have a live chat on the ps blog??answering ?s about the last of us and talking more about the game????

+ DaShaka9 on February 3rd, 2012 at 12:22 am said:

This would have been much more badass if their guns were switched. Him with the Sniper Rifle, and her with the massive Magnum!

+ D-Squad3 on February 3rd, 2012 at 12:28 am said:

Can’t freaking wait for this!!! GOTY

+ lisatsunami on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:38 am said:

Yes, looking forward to this article, but honestly I enjoy every issue of Gameinformer (which is a really dull name for such a fun topic, gaming). I don’t always agree with your reviews & of course I skip anything about the X machine, but I enjoy your magazine very much.

+ Kchow23 on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:02 am said:

The game looks great and I cant wait to see a gameplay video to truly say that I am sold on it, but since Naughty Dog is the developer.. there are no worries.

+ BigPoppaChunk on February 3rd, 2012 at 6:05 am said:

I am not sure I like the age difference between the two characters. father daughter age descrepitency could be a little too emotional! for a survival game make her older or him younger. she looks like a young teenager and we all know unless your really awful people nothing that bad can happen to her even if the game ends up M rated .

yeah she may have a rough back story no one will see, but going forward i’m not sure I would enjoy the role of protector for the whole game. Plus if the game ends up co-op no one likes playing a radical age difference character.

It’s like left 4 dead when I would get stuck with the old guy bill It felt lame like could a average 55+ guy not athletic keep up with 25 year olds!! or in left 4 dead 2 how long could the heavy coach really keep up!!

Sully well he is just in a league all by himself!!!

+ LordRaoh on February 3rd, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

All I want to know is when is The Last of Us coming to my PS3.

+ Matrix_Lion on February 3rd, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

One game I’m truly looking forward too.

+ Skimple on February 3rd, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

I’m excited to see how this comes out! ND has never failed to bring good games out. Also good to see that they are putting out new IP’s and not just sitting back and rolling out Uncharted sequels.

+ spiderboy59 on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

Naughty Dog has the best games since Jak & Daxter. I have extremely high hopes for this game.

+ crazy_kracker1 on February 5th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

i noticed the game will be released on December 31 2012 they should release it the day some people think is dooms day lmao

+ Flyers108 on February 6th, 2012 at 1:12 am said:

@crazy_kracker1

Hopefully I can go to the midnight launch and finish the game before the aliens get here and make us slaves. Can’t wait for this game/end of the world.