No Man's Sky

Dev Diary: Skullgirls is a Feature-Rich PSN Fighter

Peter Bartholow's Avatar + Posted by Peter Bartholow on Feb 03, 2012 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

Previously on the PlayStation.Blog, I introduced you to Skullgirls’ story and characters and discussed its unique gameplay systems. Today, with the game racing towards completion, I’m here to shed a little more light on the game’s features.

Even though Skullgirls is a downloadable game for PSN, we’ve got a feature set consistent with a full-priced fighter.

• Story Mode
  • Arcade Mode
  • Tutorials
  • Practice Room
  • Ranked and Unranked Online Play
  • Custom Soundtracks
  • PS3-exclusive Trophies

Story Mode

The world of Skullgirls is vast and full of colorful characters well beyond the eight playable characters we’ll have in the game. These characters will show up throughout the characters’ stories, which are told with a series of short vignettes, and are told with over 200 pieces of unique art, character portraits and new music.

Check out our new Story mode trailer above, which features Skullgirls’ awesome attract mode and glimpses at some of the characters’ stories.

Skullgirls for PS3 (PSN)

While there is a “true,” canonical story kicking around in creative director Alex Ahad’s head, the Story mode shows a number of “what if” scenarios playing out across alternate timelines. The characters are true to themselves in these altered circumstances, but events are unfolding differently.

Arcade Mode

In Arcade Mode, you get a single player campaign at its purest. You can pick any team size and make-up you like and fight a handful of rounds against the CPU and end with a climactic fight against… oh, I’ve said too much.

Tutorials and Practice Room

When you think about it, fighting games are really the only games left that doesn’t actually teach the basics of how to play them, so we’ve created an extensive series of tutorials.

Not only will these teach you how to play Skullgirls, but they should also help you learn the concepts underlying the fighting game genre as a whole. There are 17 courses explaining basic and advanced concepts, from movement to hit confirmation and advanced tactics, some of which use AI to help you learn. Of particular note, we’ve put a heavy emphasis on teaching defense, something of vital importance that is glossed over in most other games.

Of course, for the most dedicated of players, we’ve got a Practice Room to help you work on your game. In addition to a visual timer to display hit-stun and block-stun to help you learn combos, we’ll also have attack data and hitboxes to help you wring every bit of damage out of your favorite characters.

Skullgirls for PS3 (PSN)

Ranked and Unranked Online Play

Of course no fighter these days is complete without online play, and we’ve got that covered. Skullgirls features ranked and unranked online play using the excellent GGPO networking library.

Custom Soundtrack

We went all out on Skullgirls’ music and signed the legendary composer of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Michiru Yamane, but after hundreds of hours of play even the best soundtrack can wear thin.

One of the first feature requests we had from PlayStation 3 owners was a custom soundtrack option, so I’m happy to announce that we’ll be delivering this surprisingly rare feature with the game.

PS3-exclusive Trophies

Finally… Trophies. Trophies are a requirement for all games these days, but we went the extra mile and created four exclusive Trophies for PlayStation 3 users.

There are a lot of complaints out there about fighting Trophies in fighting games, so we sought out forum feedback before designing ours so we could deliver the most satisfying Trophy-hunting experience possible. We think we’ve come up with a pretty good set.

We’ll be releasing more information about the specific Trophies in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for that!

And that wraps up the features — in the coming weeks, we’ll be announcing the 8th and final character, the release date and price, and… more.

If you like what you see here, visit our website, Twitter @Skullgirls or Liking us on Facebook for the latest on the game! Thanks for reading!

PAGE 1 2

+ Matrix_Lion on February 4th, 2012 at 10:41 pm said:

This game now has my attention. I find the characters intriguing and I like the art design as well.

+ maldul on February 4th, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

Add me to the list of people that want this on a Vita. Got my Vita preordered and I want this game along with MK and Wipeout!!! Looks so awesome (boobies for the win!)

+ AkumaXoXTenshi on February 5th, 2012 at 3:21 am said:

Just wanted to say I would also love this game to be on the Vita. As far as custom pictures for PSN go, character pictures should prioritize over logos and anything else. I want to make my PSN picture the character I main, just like I’m sure a lot of other people do, and the actual character’s looks more appealing than their symbol when it comes to your psn avatar.

+ Firedonut on February 5th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

Bless your hearts for including an extensive tutorial. I’ve played fighting games most of my life, but still fail to grasp some of the advanced mechanics since they’re not too obvious and I’m too lazy to do any research. :)

+ J_KEEL on February 5th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

I’m sure Skullgirls is going to rock the fighting game world.

Not even Capcom or SNK back in the golden days were able to pull a game so polished in their first try.

+ Yorga01 on February 5th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

Its been about a year since I first read about this game and I have to say, gets more interesting as time moves on. And it looks very interesting from the start. I draw characters as well and I really like the characters alex has already put out there and one of the things I need to know, will there be downloadable characters available when the game is available?

Peter Bartholow's Avatar

+ Peter Bartholow on February 6th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

We will have additional DLC characters in the future, but not on Day 1.

+ Yorga01 on February 5th, 2012 at 7:49 pm said:

Sorry fo the double post. I wanted to add more to my last post.

Gotta wonder what the DLC characters will be like. Like one character will have scissor legs(meaning she delivers sharp kicks and her legs are sharp as blades) or one who’s a pirate of some sorts, for example. Oh well, one can imagine.

+ RedHood9 on February 5th, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

will this be a $15 download?

+ Baaxx on February 5th, 2012 at 11:31 pm said:

I am definitely buying this game. I’m very happy to hear about the custom soundtrack and I’m looking forward to switching back and forth between my own tunes and the game’s soundtrack!

If there was a Vita port, I would buy that, too.

+ Elvick_ on February 6th, 2012 at 3:03 am said:

Add me to the list of people that want it on PSVita, or at least adding remote play to the PS3 version.

+ poisonedsodapop on February 6th, 2012 at 8:32 am said:

I’m not all that great at fighting games but this has my interest. Also one of those who’d like to see a Vita version. Just a straight up port, no need to add touchscreen controls or anything.

+ Graywolffe on February 6th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

Promise: DAY ONE BUY IF PORTED TO VITA!!!

LOVE (& prefer) to play fighting games on handhelds as they are a mobile friendly, bite-sized, uppercut of fun. : )

Just wanted to add my vote to the building VITA concensus!

PAGE 1 2