No Man's Sky

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack – Platforming Fun for Your PS Vita

Graham Smith's Avatar + Posted by Graham Smith on Feb 03, 2012 // COO, DrinkBox Studios

So you are probably thinking “Mutant Blobs Attack? Never heard of it. Why should I care about this game? Also, why does Reddit always have so many cat pictures on the front page?” Well, the first thing you need to do is unsubscribe from /r/aww. After that’s done, let me tell you a few reasons you should care about Mutant Blobs Attack.

tales from space mutant blobs attack

First, you enjoy platformers but are maybe a bit tired of the typical offerings, and are looking for something fresh. You were thinking of buying a Vita, and need something fun to play in between your sessions of Michael Jackson the Experience. You also have a sense of humor and are tired of games that take themselves too seriously. Maybe you also enjoy monster movies that feature the destruction of all mankind, or perhaps have a slight Blob fetish?

And, if all of the above items apply, then this is REALLY the game for you.

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack is a follow up to Tales from Space: About a Blob released early 2011 on the PlayStation 3 (via PSN). Mutant Blobs Attack differs from its predecessor in a number of ways. We want to leave SOME surprises for those who buy the game, so without giving too much away here is some more info about what’s in Mutant Blobs Attack.

This time around the Blob has some new abilities that were designed to take advantage of the Vita’s inputs. The first of these is Telekinesis, which allows the Blob to move objects/platforms around in the game world. These objects are indicated to the player with a green dot, which can be touched and dragged on the Vita’s touchscreen. Having movable objects in the world allows us to challenge the player with unique platforming puzzles.

Telekinesis 2Telekinesis 1

The second new ability the player will encounter in the game is Rocket Mode. While in this mode, the Blob begins floating in the air, and is controlled using a rocket thruster. While flying around, the back touch pad of the Vita can be used to apply an additional “boost” of speed to the Blob.

2012-01-31-224904

Those of you that played Tales from Space: About a Blob will already be familiar with the Magnetic power, which is making a return. Magnetism allows the Blob to stick or repel from fixed metal surfaces, and also pull / push smaller metal objects that are not fixed in place. This power is often used in the game to solve puzzles.

Magnetism 4

As a break to the normal platforming gameplay, and utilizing another input feature of the Vita, we have spread tilt-based bonus levels throughout the main story. We made these levels all take place in unique and interesting environments like a wooden labyrinth, an old-school retro hand-held device, and maybe even Tom Selleck’s moustache (Editor’s note: Tom Selleck moustache level is not actually included in the game).

2012-01-31-2223202012-01-31-221527

We are really proud of how the game turned out, and can’t wait to share it with the world! With the Vita and the game coming out very soon, we really hope that you guys & gals will take some time to check it out.

For up-to-date development news, make sure to follow us on Twitter @DrinkboxStudios and @MutantBlob, and check out our blog at www.mutantblobsattack.com. Also, feel free to shoot us any questions you have in the comments below, and we will try to answer them the best we can!

+ Neil on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

I enjoyed the PS3 version. Is this a PSN or boxed game?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

Thanks Neil. This one is PSN only (no boxed version)

+ Reluctant-Hero on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

I didn’t play the first game, but this version looks to be right up my alley. I’m assuming that it’s a PSN exclusive title?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

The game was really designed around Vita’s new hardware features, and the Vita has been our main focus for the game during development. Other platforms could be possible in the future, but we have not really considered this yet.

+ KidKobun on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

Shaping up nicely! And yes, it will be a downloadable title for the Vita via PSN: http://mutantblobsattack.com/press-releases/

+ NamesIrish13 on February 3rd, 2012 at 2:03 pm said:

My son and I loved the first one and still play it, and we were really looking forward to be able to play this game with each other. I thought it was going to be a PSN/PS3 release… is this a vita only game? If its not a vita only game when can we expect the release to be able to enjoy it on our PS3?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

Hey NamesIrish,

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed the first game. As I mentioned above, we are not certain about other versions yet.. I do hope you guys get a chance to play this one though!

+ Kchow23 on February 3rd, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

Will there be a demo? and how big of a download it it?

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 5:09 pm said:

We’ve been really focusing on just getting the game itself done, and there may not be a trial when the game launches.

The download size will likely be somewhere between 100 and 150MB

+ Kchow23 on February 3rd, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

*how big of a download is the full game?

+ G-Force08 on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Loved the first, waiting on this one. :)

All I need is a release date because I’ll be getting it for sure.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 5:00 pm said:

We can’t say the release date yet, but we will likely be announcing it very soon.

+ materclobber on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

i played the vita for the first time in gamestop today and even though i’ll be getting it 19 days from now i wanted NOW!!!!!!!!!! i will look forward to getting my greasy fingers on that sexy piece of playstation revolution!! lol

+ MarinoBrea on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

Nice looking 10-dollar game.

+ Reluctant-Hero on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:57 pm said:

Graham, thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely be dowbloading this for my Vita! In regards to other consoles and PSN exclusivity, I just meant that game wouldn’t be in a retail package. And you already answered that question!

+ lisatsunami on February 3rd, 2012 at 4:26 pm said:

What I was thinking when I saw your blog title is “Yet Another Platformer?!”. (sigh)
Thanks, anyway & good luck.

With all due respect. <—I feel it's ok for me to say dooshy things if I add this disclaimer.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 5:11 pm said:

LOL lisatsunami..

Hopefully we have enough fresh stuff in this one to make you interested ;)

+ Curtisio on February 3rd, 2012 at 6:02 pm said:

I think being on the Vita brings an interesting twist to the original game.

I REALLY hope there is a demo. If there is not release date yet, maybe there’s time to make a demo.

+ poodude on February 3rd, 2012 at 7:22 pm said:

Oh man this looks fun.

AND I WILL NEVER UNSUBSCRIBE FROM R/AWW!

+ ReptileHand on February 3rd, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

I loved the first one!

When I get a Vita (which I definitely will when the price drops within this year or next year), I will get this game! The first one had such a charm to it, along with a couple of internet tid bits which I noticed :)

Also, I just saw the most ADORABLE corgi video on the reddit front page. And now I know r/aww exists!

Oh yeah this a downloadable game which means it’s going to have a smaller price as a Vita game =D which as you can see I’m kinda happy about because Vita games go for $30-$50. I should get back and beat the first game while I’m at it.

Graham Smith's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 9:22 pm said:

Thanks ReptileHand :)

I just watched that corgi video and will never get that two minutes of my life back

+ chubigans on February 3rd, 2012 at 8:59 pm said:

Count me in as someone who adored the first game and will readily buy this one! Can’t wait for the Vita!

+ ABTR on February 3rd, 2012 at 10:17 pm said:

Awesome! The Tales from Space: About a Blob is one of my favorite! Great news! Another good game for Vita!

+ niwrA on February 4th, 2012 at 2:56 am said:

Very nice – when I saw that there was going to be a version for Vita I knew I’d have to get it, because my (3!) year old son loves it (although it gets too hard and intimidating pretty fast – he’s genuinely scared of the fireballs and hands me the controller at that point). It’s a great help that the PS3 version has two player co-op, in that respect.

Anyway, pretty sure he’ll enjoy playing this on Vita and this being a PSN download again (which probably means it’s affordable) gives it a good shot of ending up there. :)

+ NamesIrish13 on February 4th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

Graham thanks for the reply above regarding if it will be on the ps3 or not. I hope you guys do decided to bring it to the PS3 for all the fans like myself who enjoy the couch coop with our family!

+ JEC94 on February 4th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

PSN name will be SEN soon why you guys haven’t post anything about it?