GTAV PS4

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus Confirmed for Vita Launch, Details Here

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 06, 2012 // Sr. Social Media Manager

If you’re a fan of ninja games, PS Vita won’t leave you wanting – or waiting. The system’s upcoming launch will be supported by two ninja-centric titles: Shinobido 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, and I spent some time with the latter this weekend. NGS+ is an updated version of an early PS3 title, which itself was an enhanced version of an original Xbox game that debuted back in 2004. Despite some control choices which have clearly evolved over the past 8 years, the source material holds up pretty well in 2012.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for PS Vita

Playing through the first few levels of the NGS+, memories from nearly a decade ago came flooding back to me: the placement of treasures, decapitating enemies with a single charged slash (hold down the triangle button to, um, execute), and the difficulty. The Ninja Gaiden series resides firmly in the “tough, but fair” challenge department. When you die – and you will – it’s usually not due to AI cheapness, but rather a mistimed block or a delayed dodge. That doesn’t mean the game can’t get frustrating, but when you prevail, the frustration melts into delicious satisfaction. For those having trouble, NGS+ adds Hero Mode, which helps automates some blocking and dodging to help you along. There’s no shame in it.

Ninja Gaiden was one of the best looking games around when it first debuted, and NGS+ still looks nice on PS Vita. While it doesn’t approach an Uncharted Golden Abyss level visually, it’s better looking on Vita’s OLED than an 8 year old game ought to look.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for PS Vita

Tecmo’s Team Ninja has added a number of features to take advantage of the new Vita hardware, such as six axis arrow shooting and touchscreen prompts to enhance your Ninpo magic attacks. I had trouble adjusting to the new controls in first-person view, but fortunately, they’re optional.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for PS Vita

The most significant addition to NGS+ is the new Ninja Challenge mode, a series of snack-sized trials can be completed in just a couple of minutes – geared toward gamers on the go. Each of these 76 missions provides a straightforward goal, such as clearing a certain amount of enemies, taking on a boss character, or engaging in a weapon-specific objective. This is also where you can use use alternate character Rachel, and try out new costumes and weapons that you might not have earned yet in the story mode.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma arrived on PS3 before the advent of PSN Trophies, so NGS+ is the first to incorporate the addictive baubles. I took a look at the Trophy list, and most of the rewards involve killing lots of dudes with each weapon, or by mastering techniques such as the powerful Izuna drop.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for PS Vita

I can confirm that Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus is no longer a “launch window” title – it’ll be ready for launch day. If you’re picking up a PS Vita on February 22nd, or are looking for a primer for the upcoming Ninja Gaiden 3, you should give Ryu Hayabusa’s first modern adventure a look.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for PS Vita

+ fifthcore on February 6th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

Will the game be available on the the 14th for the people who are picking up the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle? And how much for the digital version?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

I’m told that the release date will be Feb 22. No word on the digital version… yet.

+ Leon50ae on February 6th, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

Not specific to this game, but since Vita games will also be available on the PSN for download, will they become available the same date as the game’s retail release?

+ polo155 on February 6th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Digital versions I heard would be 10% less, well see how that goes…

This game I played before (not this ver of course) but on ps3, it was very fun so a new one I might grab specially for this.

32gb card in hand lol, system soon!

Sup Jeff.

+ polo155 on February 6th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

NY Giants Baby! :)

+ xKOROSHIYAx on February 6th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Can’t get enough ninja action. While I am more excited about Shinobido 2 (I love stealth) I am a huge fan of Tecmo. I’ll probably pick this up within a few months after the Vita launch. I still own the original Ninja Gaiden Black for Xbox and Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3. I have this sort of OCD to add this to my collection just to continue that tradition of owning every version.

As for Tecmo, I can’t wait for DOA5 to hit the PS3 later this year! I am we can eventually get a DOA on the Vita as well.

+ Myke-Myke on February 6th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

Good news. Another launch title.

I think there’s like 3-4 games I wanna get @ launch.

Just 9 more days (First Edition Bundle).

BTW, how come there isn’t a countdown on the blog for the Vita???

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

We’ll add some special banners next week.

+ Logan22 on February 6th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

I’m trying to remember how many of those 76 missions PS3 Sigma had, with all the DLC i remember from it. How many does Vita version actually add onto it?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

I’ve got a call out to Tecmo – when I get answers, I’ll update.

+ avdavidw on February 6th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Booo, another game delay… wait… what’s this? It’s shipping early? Making launch day even?

Great job everyone involved in getting this one ready for launch. I look forward to checking it out!

+ Neil on February 6th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

kawaii ne

+ Arjmand on February 6th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

Hmmmm, so is this just Ninja Gaiden Sigma (the ps3 one) aka remastered Ninja Gaiden Black?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:41 pm said:

That’s correct. With some new modes and Vita-specific features.

And it doesn’t have to be plugged into the wall :)

+ Karsghul on February 6th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

Sigma for PS3 had ugly CGI cutscenes (highly compressed) Did they fix that for vita?

And where is Sound Shapes? We haven’t heard from that game in months.

+ chubigans on February 6th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

Is it 60fps?

+ OniEyes on February 6th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

@11

PS3 sigma CGI weren’t compressed, they were the exact same 480p xbox cutsences! Pretty bad, but a great game any way.

…speaking of PS3 version, how about adding both PS3 Sigma games to PSN Jeff?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:41 pm said:

Not my call, sir. But Tecmo will be reading this, so fingers crossed it happens someday.

+ AguilarX on February 6th, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

i dont know….. i mean i finished this on my ps3 already so i guess the only thing im gonna go for is the trophy set.
maybe not. hopefully a new ninja gaiden story for vita someday. still not sold on rebuying this

+ xaos on February 6th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

Just have to say kudos for what seems like an honest assessment of an enjoyable-sounding game. Rather than blowing smoke up our respective skirts with lots of WOW ZOMG! , you seem to be giving a balanced and even-handed impression.

My compliments, sir, and I daresay I’ll be picking this up.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

Thanks, sir. We don’t do reviews (for obvious reasons), but I wanted to relay my experience.

+ Teflon02 on February 6th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

not getting any time soon, seeing I need ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Dynasty Warriors Next, Rayman Origins, Gravity Rush (when is it releasing? I heard eu gets as a launch title :(..), Street Fighter X Tekken (need to know the release date for the vita version!) and a few more. But I will get eventually, probably over the summer

+ DaNTi3L on February 6th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

well sold

+ KeefRiffards on February 6th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

I totally agree with Xaos. Great job Jeff, you are one of the best, if not THE best, contributors to this blog. That includes the numerous Devs and media folks that drop in to promote their games. You speak your mind, and it goes a long way with convincing me to try out a game. When I read about a game and all I hear about is how every little thing is incredible, I tend to shy away from getting excited about it until I have played it myself. I would rather hear about all aspects of the game, the good AND the not so great, then hear a biased onslaught of praise. Rock on Rubenstein!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

Thanks for saying so. I still think Sid is better, however ^__^

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on February 6th, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

Nice, but is there any word on when we’ll see a concrete release date for Gravity Daze?

Another question I have is whether or not we’ll be seeing the UMD Passport Program here or maybe a price cut for PSP titles on the PSN?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

No news on either, I’m afraid.
    You’ll certainly see the Gravity Rush (Daze in Japan) release date here when it’s locked in. Can’t happen soon enough, I say!

+ Enigma777 on February 6th, 2012 at 2:32 pm said:

Maybe my memory is faulty, but did Sigma always look this bad? Because those screenshots are not impressive at all.

+ Genexi2 on February 6th, 2012 at 2:48 pm said:

Hope there’s a NERF Shell coming out for all the soon-to-be broken Vita’s this game will incur with it’s difficulty.

@20 Enigma777

The game was originally an Xbox 1 title. The PS3 upgraded port cleaned up some textures, upped the resolution, beefed up the characert models, added more tidbits to the locations, and that’s about it. It was designed to run at a silky smooth 60 frames a second, so the flair was kept to a minimum to allow the gameplay to flourish.

+ Lord_Rinja on February 6th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

I am so glad that Ninja Gaiden Sigma is going portable. I have Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on the PS3. Personally, I prefer Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the PS3 because I feel it controls a lot better on that system. I’m also psyched that we are finally getting trophies for the first game.

@Jeff

Can you give a suggestion to Team Ninja to release Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on the Vita as well. I’m going to be picking up the WiFi model and seeing all of the awesome titles that are launching with the system, I can guarantee you that I will be in for the long haul. I already want NGSP, Uncharted, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and WipEout 2048. I’m also looking forward to the next Killzone game that is currently in development for the Vita as well. With all of the power under the hood of this system, please tell me t if they are making Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur for the VIta. That would make my day :-)

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

I can’t say anything for sure, but if Sigma Plus does well on Vita, that certainly wouldn’t discourage Tecmo, right?

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on February 6th, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

Is it possible to tranfer data ?
I have completed NGS 100% and now that rophies are available for NGS+ it would be very nice to recieve them after all that effort :D

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

It’s not possible, I’m afraid.

+ snakeeyes211 on February 6th, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

Will it have trophy support

+ snakeeyes211 on February 6th, 2012 at 3:40 pm said:

Yes .sorry When I was reading I must have

Skip to bottom paragraph

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

All is forgiven!

+ Link01 on February 6th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

Any news on pricing? This has only been remade only oh so many times and is a $10 bargin bin game in most stores. Please don’t say you guys are asking for $30 or $40… Also, we’re a week away from launch and no news on Downloadable pricing (well… official detail besides the fact that there will be a discount). I think it’s time to bring the news out.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 6th, 2012 at 4:46 pm said:

I don’t have pricing info (and it wasn’t on the fact sheet Tecmo provided me). But when they get back to me, I’ll update here.

+ Kchow23 on February 6th, 2012 at 5:16 pm said:

If I knew that it would be coming to the PS Vita, I wouldn’t have bought it for PS3! Moreover, please put Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on PSN.. extremely hard to find at retail nowadays.

+ Kchow23 on February 6th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

Oh and they should package this game with some hardshell cases for PS Vita :)

+ ChaosZero112 on February 6th, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

PSN Trophies? Not SEN Trophies? Bad blogging, or are they not rebranding the trophies as well?

+ IRSmurf on February 6th, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

I feel very lucky to play my first Ninja Gaiden with the Vita. It’s going to be fantastic. Pre-ordering this game was an easy decision.

+ Budapesti on February 6th, 2012 at 6:19 pm said:

Just when I thought I’d settled on which games I was going to purchase on launch day, here comes Ryu Hayabusa to muddle things up again!
Still, being spoiled for choice is a good thing, right?
The 22nd can’t come soon enough!

+ Graywolffe on February 6th, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

Jeff:

Great unbias synapsis…Any insight on the 76 missions (or ‘trials’) being played solo or coop (via ad-hoc / online )? Was turned off by how NGS2 missions were all designed for 2 players to complete & the provided AI partner was NOT of proper ninja skill. Frustrating times… : ) I’ll pick this one up if the missions are designed for offline or solo playing.

Thanx in advance!

+ fullmy4gbnow on February 6th, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the post, appreciate it, I’ll probably get it on Feb. 22.
Also, can you tell me when does Gravity Rush finally hits the U.S./Canada? At first it was said to be a launch title, then a launch window, then a launch title, then sites startd to list it for march, april, may, etc…

It’s annoying, this game is a system seller and people are really getting mad over this all over internet (Just go on IGN, N4G, GameFaqs, you’ll see what I mean) Thanks for the hint! Hope I’ll have an answer soon! If you can’t tell an exact date, could you at least say when we should get the confirmed date?

Thanks a lot Jeff!

+ jonny_boy103 on February 6th, 2012 at 7:32 pm said:

So what rune or dungeon warrior (can’t remember the new name lol) does with transferring saves to the cloud so you can play on both PS3 and vita won’t be available for NGS+? I was really hoping to be able to experience it on launch :(. Oh well. Any news about those games that will be available for vita and PS3, is there going to be a bundle so we can get both games?

+ mikedo2007 on February 6th, 2012 at 8:18 pm said:

It’s nice to see Ninja Gaiden appearing on PS Vita, I have the PS3 version and I’m very happy with that version so I don’t need to get this one on Vita.

+ Lord_Rinja on February 6th, 2012 at 8:20 pm said:

@22

Good point Jeff. Thanks for the response :-)

+ DARZERO on February 6th, 2012 at 8:23 pm said:

WOW, just look amazing. I might pick that up with my vita on the 22nd.

+ Virtuous_Villain on February 6th, 2012 at 9:02 pm said:

Hey Jeff, shouldn’t you and your wife be busy making some more minis?

+ bmart008 on February 6th, 2012 at 11:04 pm said:

Exciting! I never played this one (only the demo when I got my PS3) it should be a lot of fun on the Vita. I’ll have to choose between this and shinobido blade 2. Hmmm

(Uncharted of course as well)

and make sure Gravity Rush comes out here soon, I’m very interested in that game.

+ ANTANTANT on February 7th, 2012 at 1:28 am said:

so a updated version of a update version?

+ DeVeAn on February 7th, 2012 at 1:34 am said:

Whoa, I thought ALL PS Vita titles were digital day and date with retail versions?

+ AgitoKoyoto on February 7th, 2012 at 5:38 am said:

@26 this game will be $39.99. Just the same as every other Vita game I have seen.

+ OniEyes on February 7th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

Thanks for the reply Jeff, and to anyone important @ Tecmo reading this, NGS & NGS2 on PSN would be a great idea just before NG3′s launch :)

+ Shawnator10 on February 9th, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

Is this game multiplayer?

+ JDog09 on February 18th, 2012 at 10:08 pm said:

Will this game also be up for download on the Store?