PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Shank 2 Hits PSN Today, Learn Survival Mode Strategies

Jamie Cheng's Avatar + Posted by Jamie Cheng on Feb 07, 2012 // Co-Founder, Klei

In case you didn’t know, our newest title, Shank 2, launches today on PSN for $9.99! This game is a huge improvement over the original Shank — the controls are far tighter, we’ve added new moves and nuances to give you greater control and options to combat, and in general the experience is the best we’ve done so far. I really hope you’ll give the demo a shot and support a friendly developer!

Shank 2 for PS3 (PSN)

Today, I’m going to talk a bit about strategy in Shank 2’s new Survival Mode. In Survival Mode, you team up with a friend (local or online), earn cash, buy upgrades, defend your base, and survive for as long as you can.

Trust me, you really have to pay attention and choose your strategy in this mode — let’s just say that to this day, I have to be on my game in order to complete the entire 30 waves. But before you begin, you select one of three different maps, each with their own play styles. Then, select your costume:

Shank lead image PS

There are 16 different costumes you can unlock in Shank 2, and each one gives you stat modifiers. The costumes are either for Shank or Corina, and both Shank and Corina have different attacks, speed, advantages and disadvantages. Pick wisely — above, I’ve chosen the Hobo (with a shotgun), and Chops the healer. This allows one player to heal the other who does damage with the pickups (but is too broke to buy stuff). Communicate with your partner to choose a strategy!

Once you’re in the game, my suggestion is to pay attention to the bombers, and try to get them before they set us up the bomb. Also, try to increase your combo count as that contributes directly to your cash. Note that high powered weapons such as the shotgun isn’t as good for combos, but are far better at delaying and killing the bombers.

Now flush with cash, you can buy reinforcements such as tequila to heal yourself, a minigun to cause major spread damage, or turrets to play tower defense with. A friendly reminder: don’t be too frugal with your spending! Many a time I’ve gotten too confident and suddenly died with thousands in the bank. Finally, use the environment to your advantage — each map has a feature you can use to aid you, and they’re crucial to your success.

Shank 2 for PS3 (PSN)

Alright folks! That should get you started. We’ve poured a ton of love into this game and we hope the little surprises we threw in really delight you. We’re big believers that a developer shouldn’t make a sequel unless it meaningfully improves the experience, and I can proudly say that Shank 2 is our best game yet.

If you’ve got any questions or want further tips, come say hello on Twitter or Facebook! I’m always lurking around and happy to help.

+ PlatinumAura on February 7th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

+ PlatinumAura on February 7th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

seriously this game seems cool

+ Wozman23 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Can’t wait. Replayed the original last night in anticipation.

+ Smooth423 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Shank is a great game. It’s like Double dragon meets your worst nightmare. Sweet game. Hope you do some online multiplayer this time. Shanks 2 = game of the year.

+ ritual1982 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Kingdoms of Amalur launched today and no blog posts?

I am enjoying the game but not much news on it.

+ tranquility101 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

How deep is the online multiplayer aspect?

Might buy this just for the multiplayer. :)

+ MPaullin on February 7th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Plus discount?

Will purchase either way, but it’d be nice. You guys seem to have really listened to the community when developing this one (especially like the lower price point) and will reward such dedication with a day one purchase. I look forward to what you come up with next.

+ spatsnaz on February 7th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

360 screenshot in the middle, you might want to fix that.

Jamie Cheng's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on February 7th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

Yup, my bad. Fixed! Sorry about that. >_<

+ SolduNuts on February 7th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

I own the first game and really enjoyed it. I also loved the art style on my HD screen. Might pick this up when it hits a sale or Plus (which is the best thing to happen to the SEN). My only complaint is the dirt in my eyes by seeing you use a 360 screen shot to show us a PlayStation game on the PlayStation blog. Bad form, bad form.

Sold.

+ Trieloth on February 7th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

What the hell is with the xbox buttons in the middle picture? Man Iam really excited about the game but if I see xbox buttons while playing on my PS3 I will freak!

Jamie Cheng's Avatar

+ Jamie Cheng on February 7th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

Oops! This was a development screenshot — note even the development text on the top right! I supplied a proper one last night and I guess it didn’t quite make it through.

+ KidCommando on February 7th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

I don’t have Y, A, or B buttons. :(

+ TJF588 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

Oh good lawd, hobo with a shotgun. I’mma dead right now.

+ DeathGazer on February 7th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

360 screenshots on the front page of the PS blog.

oops…

+ stekimafijas on February 7th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

Looks amazing, yo!

+ TUSTIN1 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

It’s weird that this will be coming to PSN today because when the store updates, PSN will no longer exist.

The Playstation Network is changing to the Sony Entertainment Network, so hopefully this is coming to SEN today…

Jamie Cheng's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on February 7th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

Nope, PSN is not changing — it’s still PSN.

+ CaptainJames99 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

Thats this month tustin, next month they’ll have another acronym for it. Not that it’ll change anything in real substantial terms. Anyone remember SNEA? probably no one outside sony since its just another corporate shell game.

Jamie Cheng's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on February 7th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

SNE is now SEN :)

+ ERC1980 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Hello Jamie

First off I want to congradulate you and the Klie team for making a sequel that will kick major a**.

As soon as i next boot up my ps3 I’m gonna head to the store and see if shank 2 is there for me to buy and if so, BOUGHT!!!

If anyone wants to do some online co op with me please send me a pm. that includes you jamie. what better way to learn how to kick ass in the mp than to team up with one of the devs! amirite

+ SolduNuts on February 7th, 2012 at 12:51 pm said:

Thanks Sid, my eyes have been flushed from that dirt that was on my favorite blog.

Sold.

+ TUSTIN1 on February 7th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

@16 Yeah, it seems like a really stupid move as ‘PSN’ is so widely recognized. I’m not sure how they think that changing the name will somehow improve brand recognition…

Remember back when SEN was called Qriocity (or however it was spelled)? LMAO, maybe the best way to improve brand recognition is to stop changing the names of things every few months…

+ stackrabbit on February 7th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

The first game was great but i heard that the shooting and other controls were re-booted in this game. Yay! Shooting your guns towards the corners of the screen was a pain in the butt.. @#4, I agree, Double Dragon meets Streets of rage plus tons of gunplay and blood. Ill still have to try the demo to see if its truly worthy of $10.

+ islandfellow2 on February 7th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

The first one was great, I look forward to this one.

+ blakseed on February 7th, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

I’ve been looking forward to this one since it was announced. Loved Shank, and part 2 looks and sounds even better.

+ SHINSPIKES on February 7th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

Nice, online survival. How come others can’t figure out, this would be a good addition instead of just single player survival? Nice job. Will there be a demo?

+ TUSTIN1 on February 7th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

@ Sid – So it’s still PSN but my account will be SEN? Yeah, that’s less confusing…

+ Heavenly_king on February 7th, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

I dont a PSN/SEN card!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!!!!

+ SpooNManX on February 7th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

Still no new content on PSN… Any ETA on this (for EST)?

+ The-Sigma-Alpha on February 7th, 2012 at 3:50 pm said:

I look orward to playing this. I enjoyed the first game so this one was a no brainer for me.

+ D-Squad3 on February 7th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

Hobo with a shotgun? WIN

+ ScarReaper83 on February 7th, 2012 at 4:20 pm said:

what do they do spend the last 1 or 2 in the day to give us a store update….y always so late????????????

+ fredroprime on February 7th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

Any word when it will be available? PSN still doesn’t have it

+ ScarReaper83 on February 7th, 2012 at 4:29 pm said:

1 or 2 hours i ment to say

+ JEXEON on February 7th, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

guess we have to wait till 11:59 to buy it.

+ chamuco71192 on February 7th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

Please update the store -_-

+ stackrabbit on February 7th, 2012 at 5:02 pm said:

I WANNA SHANK SOMEBODY ALREADY!!!! lol

+ ReptileHand on February 7th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

A good update means it’s probably going to update at 12 midnight again (EST)

This looks very nice, I’m loving the art style since it reminds me of The Venture Brothers.

You know while I was playing the first game, I thought about the lovely animation that I was going to see during cut scenes but when they came on it looked pixelated and had a lower resolution. Hopefully the cut scenes are full HD and clear in this one.

I still didn’t beat the first game, the final boss is wicked hard. But I might go back to it to try at it.

+ GTfig on February 7th, 2012 at 5:36 pm said:

What demo?
Shank 2 is there, but no demo.

+ ScarReaper83 on February 7th, 2012 at 6:28 pm said:

everyone thats trying to buy this game it IS in the store right now just do a search for it and u will find it in the list, but hope we dont have to wait till wednesday for a tuesday update

+ GTfig on February 7th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

Shank 2 link is showing on the store front page… still no demo, though (even search doesn’t bring up a demo version).

+ enjoy_sake on February 8th, 2012 at 2:22 am said:

got the demo, lets see how it fares, I like what i’ve seen so far

+ GTfig on February 8th, 2012 at 7:16 am said: