Final Fantasy XV

Feb 09

Feb 09

Pinball, RPGs Collide in Epic Quest DLC for Zen Pinball

Zsolt Kigyossy's Avatar Posted by Managing Director, Zen Studios

Hi everyone! As you all know by now, it is Zen Studios’ quest to deliver the most entertaining and original pinball tables. Epic Quest represents a major step forward in the evolution of videogame pinball, blending RPG elements such as loot, leveling and XP with pinball. This is something we have been dreaming about and working on for a long time. I’m excited to share a little bit about how we have blended two different gaming genres to create a totally new experience!

Zen’s Epic Quest

It is the sworn duty of every knight to seek out evil, defeat it, and take its stuff. One such knight is Max, whose enthusiasm for combat is surpassed only by his love of rare and valuable loot. Join Max as he battles hordes of evil (or just evil-looking) monsters, rescues a wealthy princess, and accumulates the loot and XP that make good deeds worth doing. If Max suffers a defeat, never fear! He will return in the next game with all of his hard-won loot and experience levels intact.

Epic Quest for Zen Pinball

As you complete missions and table objectives, Max earns loot, which is essential for defeating monsters and impressing n00bs. Put together a set of “epic” gear and become the envy of all your frenemies! Supposedly, it helps you fight better, too. And if a game ends, experience and loot carry over to the next game. Yes, you read that correctly, your experience and loot carry over from game to game, just like an RPG!

Writing a deeper story that continues to play out as you spend time with the table was essential in the creation of this table. It really makes the game more enjoyable and increases the incentive to continue playing. We also wrote a lot of Monty Python-type humor into the story, so expect some laughs!

Max the Knight & Loot

Players will be required to defeat a monster during the Encounter mode in Epic Quest. When the player defeats this formidable foe, they will receive loot in the form of weapons or armor. Swords, axes, shields, spells and more will be won in order to help Max develop into a true (not to mention well-dressed) champion. As loot is won, Max will actually use items and they will be visibly applied to his image. Loot is classified into three categories:

Epic Quest: Items

• Yellow – common items
  • Blue – better items
  • Purple – epic items (!)

The possibility of finding an Epic item increases with each level of Max the Knight, so the higher level you are the more likely you are to find more valuable loot. Because you get to keep loot game after game, Max will appear in the same gear he ended with when a new game starts.

From Lesser Knight to Epic Hero

It took some time to perfect the XP formula for Epic Quest, but the result for the player is a new set of challenges and rewards outside of just keeping the ball in play. You will earn XP for completing missions and hitting specific shots on the table. XP is represented on a large red bar below the flippers at the front of the table. After filling the XP bar, Max will level up!

Epic Quest for Zen Pinball

Max begins as a Minor Knight with hopes and dreams of someday becoming an Epic Hero. As Max levels up, he becomes more and more powerful…er, capable! As a more “capable” knight, Max will be able to inflict more damage on monsters and enemies, which means he will be able to discover more valuable loot including epic items, and multi ball jackpot values will increase. Whether he reaches is goal of being an Epic Hero or not is up to you!

Epic Quest will release next Tuesday on PSN as DLC for Zen Pinball, and we hope you enjoy the table and the new direction we have taken. As always, THANKS SO MUCH for your support, and we appreciate your feedback and encourage you to send us questions or comments on the Zen Facebook, Twitter or forums. Oh, and do not forget to pick up Twisted Metal!!! This is one of my all-time favorite games and you can be sure I will be playing it day one!

Add Your Own

GT-420 said:

February 9th, 12:09 pm

What, not free for PLUS? I know, I know, I’m getting greedy. See what you’ve done to me Sony?

Table looks really cool, maybe this will do for pinball what Puzzle Quest did for Bejeweled?

February 9th, 12:27 pm

We can’t give everything away (as much as we would like to see everyone play this table!).

Mixing RPG into pinball definitely changes the game! Other things to do outside of chasing a new high score every time!

badassbr said:

February 9th, 12:22 pm

thank you zen studios for giving support and continuous additional content for a game as old as zen pinball (like what? 3 years now?)
Must be a record for game developers around the world =), zen pinball was my best psn buy!
I’m going to buy this epic quest on the release day for sure!

February 9th, 12:31 pm

It is amazing that we are able to still work on a game even so long after initial release. We have people like you to thank for this! So, THANKS!

halo_nothing said:

February 9th, 12:26 pm

I’ve got every other Zen table available so no point in passing on this one. :P
Looking forward to next week. Any word on the price?

February 9th, 12:47 pm

Thanks! Price will the same as all other DLC.

dragonmagician said:

February 9th, 12:31 pm

Needs a Vita version…I wonder if holding the Vita sideways will work for pinball games?!?!

February 9th, 12:47 pm

I am happy to tell you that there will be a Vita version!

Goldanas said:

February 9th, 12:41 pm

I’ve been buying these tables now since the original release and I’m glad you guys continue to support it. This has actually been one of the more interesting tables in a while and is really a blast to play. Reminds me of the more involved mid-nineties tables that used to be around. It’s a shame the Marvel stuff had to be separate unlike other platforms, but I understand: marketing stuff and whatnot.

A Vita version would be interesting since you have that 3DS version, but I didn’t get that version because I knew it wouldn’t share all of my already downloaded tables.

If you do put out a Vita version, would it be too much to ask that you allow it to share DLC with the PS3 version for all your loyal customers? UMvC3 seems to be taking that route. I wouldn’t mind putting down another $9.99 for a portable version that had all my tables tied to my account.

February 9th, 12:57 pm

Hopefully by May or June you will have a shiny new Zen Pinball platform that will bring all of your content under one roof:) It’s been a long work in progress, but we are almost there!

A Vita version is on the way! We are exploring how to make shared content work. We will keep you posted.

marvzilla said:

February 9th, 12:49 pm

So…… When’s Howard the Duck coming??

(definately purchasing this)

February 9th, 1:05 pm

Howard the Duck has to be the most requested table by now. Maybe we should just do it.

gravyleaves said:

February 9th, 1:01 pm

What? I bought this on PSN a month ago. Was there some sort of oops back then?

February 9th, 1:08 pm

Yes, funny story! The table was ‘accidentally’ released the same day the Vengeance and Virtue pack was released. We were totally shocked, but it ended up being available for about two weeks. A few thousand people managed to get their hands on it. It has ended up being an unexpected Epic Quest beta :)

Also, you should have seen an update for Zen PInball, which updated the table to final version and implemented trophy support.

cros1625 said:

February 9th, 1:02 pm

Looks awesome. My friend and I just got back into Zen Pinball and recently bought a lot of tables. Will most likely be picking this one up day one for sure.

February 9th, 1:08 pm

Great to hear! What table is your favorite so far?

halo_nothing said:

February 9th, 1:05 pm

Same price?! Wow, you gotta love Zen.

MPaullin said:

February 9th, 1:06 pm

New Zen table coming? That’s all you had to say to get me to buy it. Don’t have to waste time writing up the article and putting videos together. Just get started on the next one. Perhaps we will have an Avengers table soon?

February 9th, 1:12 pm

Wow, that is very nice of you to say! Stay tuned for news on more Marvel Pinball developments. Should have some news around say…March.

FJ1100_rider said:

February 9th, 1:09 pm

what ? this table has been out for a few months already , why the announcement again now ?
I like this table a lot , and have since buying it last nov.
was it only released in Canada before or what because I got it as soon as I saw it under new released dlc , this was the same time that the last tables for marvel pinball released

love how you collect xp and things keep between games , so even if you have gotten a ball save on one side and lose it’s there the next game to use

keep them coming , and if you can maybe update zen pinball and marvel pnball so you can start one game and access all tables from both ?

February 9th, 1:14 pm

Going to re-post an earlier response:

As for your other question about both Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball in one game: YES. Hopefully by May or June this will be the case.

MPaullin said:

February 9th, 1:12 pm

I second FJ1100’s request. It’d be really nice to play Marvel tables and regular tables from the same game (a la the 360).

February 9th, 1:21 pm

We hear your request loud and clear! Should be available by May or June this year.

FJ1100_rider said:

February 9th, 1:14 pm

ok , I missed the reply saying it was an accidental release , glad I was on the ball and got it ealy then , best accident I have ever had , usually an accident is a bad thing

FJ1100_rider said:

February 9th, 1:19 pm

thanks for the reply ( again ) , glad to see the added info on the marvel and zen pinball integration , that’s beeen on my wish list since marvel pinball was re;eased
one mopre thing , addd the extra leaderboard items that were removed in marvel pinball , i.e. the best one minute score , most points per second etc. because the more stats to compare with your friends and give bragging rights the better

proud zen piball supporter since day 1 , and have bought every new table withing the first week of its release
loyalty rewards maybe ? buy all tables get an avatar with the new version in june ?

February 9th, 1:27 pm

Thanks for all of the ideas. It is really nice to hear what types of features you want in the game.

Loyalty rewards are a MUST!

thamonsterr111 said:

February 9th, 1:24 pm

PLEASE HELP!!! i bought marvel pinball game so whats the difference between this and marvel pinball? plus i mostly bought marvel pinball for the vita im getting so dose that mean i have to re buy it?

February 9th, 1:34 pm

Zen Pinball is a game that has all original Zen tables, while Marvel Pinball has all the Marvel branded tables.

We are still not sure how the whole product integration aspect with work with PSN / Vita. You should definitely ask Sony about that for now.

kivi95 said:

February 9th, 1:32 pm

Nice to see something different :).

February 9th, 1:50 pm

Good to hear. This table has been a long work in progress. We are really excited to hear what you guys think.

thamonsterr111 said:

February 9th, 1:35 pm

so the marvel pinball game i have is the one thats coming to vita?

February 9th, 1:51 pm

The Marvel tables will be on Vita, it will not be the “same game” you have. There will be a lot of Zen Pinball integration going on bringing all content into one spot.

halo_nothing said:

February 9th, 1:37 pm

Hmm, speaking of loyalty rewards, pinball machine virtual item rewards for PSN Home would be awesome. Just sayin. :P

February 9th, 2:31 pm

We have talked about Home for a long time. I think it’s about time we just went and did it already.

Trizunky said:

February 9th, 1:54 pm

Love this new table. Is there a way to reset my game so I can start over from level 1? I did not know what I was doing first go around. Keep up the great work.

February 9th, 2:32 pm

That’s a good question, I am not 100% actually. Let me go and find out.

Frenchkiller1MI said:

February 9th, 2:08 pm

Nice to see another Zen Table. Can’t get enough of these ! Would just wish i’d have more friends to complete against.

Thanks for another great table, look forward to buying it ! It’s nice to see you answering everyone’s comments !

February 9th, 2:55 pm

Tell all your friends to buy it! Thanks for your support.

DarkAkatosh said:

February 9th, 2:32 pm

Do you guys have plans to make a Zen Pinball 2 with the FX2 engine? I’d buy it, but I prefer Marvel Pinball’s engine myself.

February 9th, 2:56 pm

Our technology evolves as time goes on, so with each new release the quality improves more and more. The same will be true for Zen Pinball 2.

devilmosh said:

February 9th, 2:37 pm

As always, I’ll be all over this. I love Zen pinball and play all the tables, including Marvel (LOVE the news about combining the games into one!). I was a tad late in grabbing Epic before and was shocked to see it disappear but I’d found out the reason. I’m sure the wait will be worth it!

FJ1100_rider said:

February 9th, 2:47 pm

@22 yes, it’s worth the wait
one of the best table on zen , the way it keeps your progress and xp between games is really cool and its a funny game too
the heroes big plan is to kill bad guys because they have loot and its easier than getting the loot himself , pretty funny

February 9th, 3:00 pm

YOU GET IT!!!! Great to hear this!

DemoniOtaku said:

February 9th, 2:54 pm

Is that Don Quixote based pinball? Looks very good… and for when a Zen Pinball for Vita?! With the trgger and movement sensors could be a great game on portables…

February 9th, 3:08 pm

Yes, it could very well be Don Quixote or even Monty Python!

The game is playing very well on Vita. The Vita is a developer’s dream:)

saab01 said:

February 9th, 3:07 pm

I got this table a couple months ago its cool but still my all time Favorite has to be Socereors lair.

I have two questions

1. When will see Zen pinball 2 I heard somewhere it will be released in the spring and all of our tables from Zen pinball will transfer to Zen pinball 2 so their all together.

2, What is going on with Pinball FX2 I dont see any love. We have gotten 6 tables so far of DLC for the marvel pack but the last Table we got for PInball FX2 was MS Spolsion man which was in July if i remember correctly. When will we see more tables that are not marvel ??

February 9th, 3:25 pm

Oooops, meant to post this here, sorry:)

Going to re-post from an earlier response:

You will see all content under one roof with a ZP2 type release in May or June of this year.

Well, Epic Quest is coming for PFX2 next week as well, so that is a new table. You will likely see more non-Marvel tables come mid-Spring / early Summer. I think you will be surprised to hear what is coming!

AutomaticOcelot said:

February 9th, 3:20 pm

PINBALL QUEST NEXT GEN!!! K-K-K-KOMBO!
Been looking forward to this kind of thing in digital pinball for a long time! Maybe longer than Zen Studios has existed, but I knew you’d be the right dev to make it happen.
Buying now, table looks beautiful. Thanks guys.

February 9th, 3:37 pm

Hey, you mentioned a GREAT game, Pinball Quest! Yes, we definitely drew inspiration from this NES classic!

Thanks!

AutomaticOcelot said:

February 9th, 3:22 pm

Of course by “buying now” I mean “redeemed a PSN card I had sitting here”. ;)
Catch ya Tuesday.

February 9th, 3:24 pm

Going to re-post from an earlier response:

devilmosh said:

February 9th, 5:38 pm

While you’re taking suggestions (I know, I should get my butt over to the Zen message boards and hang out), my dream table would be if Zen tackled their version of the old Creep Night pinball game that Sierra made years ago. It’d be great for Halloween!

fathead170 said:

February 9th, 5:47 pm

we get it u can do pinball now what else can u do? make a new game already!

February 9th, 6:45 pm

We actually have two brand new games coming in 2012 that are totally unrelated to pinball. Both will be on PS3 and Vita!

Trizunky said:

February 9th, 6:28 pm

Still wondering about resetting my character. Have you found out if it is possible. It would be a huge mistake if it was not possible. Not knowing what I was doing has really hurt my character. Please respond. Thanks again for a great set of tables.

February 10th, 8:54 am

Sorry, somehow I missed your comment! Yes, you can reset your character in the options menu and you will go back to class “Minor Knight.” Hope that helps!

comicfan007 said:

February 9th, 8:57 pm

Joining the request for a Howard The Duck Table ;)

February 9th, 9:42 pm

Howard the Duck…Howard the Duck…we hear it everyday:)

Genexi2 said:

February 10th, 12:06 am

Awesome, been awhile since there was a new table for this instead of Marvel Pinball.

Zen Pinball has been one of the best uses of the DLC infrastructure I’ve seen, next to Rock Band’s music. Pick and choose what tables you want, and it’s all chump change to boot. Much, much better value than pinball games of olden times, or most DLC offerings from other genres.

Ecks said:

February 10th, 8:15 am

I was fortunate enough to buy this when it was “leaked” accidentally, and it is a lot of fun.

Trizunky, you can reset your character, it’s in the options. I don’t see how you can “hurt” your character though,

Phake said:

February 10th, 9:59 am

Kudos!

I just helped a friend setup their brand new PS3 and we were going though the store and I was recommending things and I just had to get them set up on Epic Quest.

Being I have been playing it for weeks now and love all the features. (It even lead me to modding a remote for better true pinball buttons)

I was floored when i couldn’t find it via Searching or even in the Zen Pinball add-ons. Am I insane? No, just lucky to be one of the few who got there hands on this as it sneaked out.

Everything about this table is awesome. Great for introducing new players to the game and concepts of missions.

I have recruited a new player in waiting for the release :) and I will be waiting for the next goodies from ZEN.

*ZEN Pinball has left me wanting to aquire a real pinball machine, and I will have one someday maybe if it wasnt so darn hard to find good equipment.

February 10th, 10:53 am

Going to re-post from an earlier response:

That is why you have not been able to find it. But, it will re-release next Tuesday the 14th.

XFRod said:

February 10th, 10:40 am

As the biggest supporter (feel free to read that as vocal) for HOWARD THE DUCK on the Zen Facebook page, your earlier statement about “maybe we should just go ahead and do it.” truly makes this a glorious day.

— Rodney Varney —
— Bring Howard the DUCK to Zen Pinball —

musicman1234 said:

February 10th, 9:27 pm

Please bring your wonderful games into PlayStation Home.Ty

COD-KILLER74 said:

February 11th, 5:04 am

BroooZZZZZZZZZZ

THOR_KAICER said:

February 11th, 5:06 am

Great you are giving addicted stuff to me I love your pinball tables. I dont have the marvel pinball yet but this one is a buy one for me.

February 11th, 2:32 pm

Great, thanks for your support!

Elvick_ said:

February 11th, 12:31 pm

Think I found me a table I actually want for this game. Well done guys.

February 11th, 2:33 pm

That’s the idea! Our goal is to make fun and innovative tables. I know you will enjoy Epic Quest.

gutsylooser said:

February 11th, 6:59 pm

Turismo 5— Can anyone tell me, if you can play this on line against real people???

amshockeyfan said:

February 12th, 11:45 am

A couple of questions:

How come I cannot find it in PlayStation Store?

Why can’t this awesome table be free for PS+ subscribers?

Where’s the Howard The Duck table, Hulk Table, & Avengers Table?

Macrocephalus said:

February 15th, 8:42 am

Two questions:

1. Will ZP2 bring Marvel Pinball’s improved controller settings (like letting me use a trigger to launch the ball — SO much better!) to all the Zen Pinball tables?

2. How about a TRON table? Some sort of tie-in with the recent movie would be AWESOME!

Meanwhile, keep up the awesome work! I love some of the more recent Zen tables, and Marvel has me totally hooked. I can’t wait to see how Hulk will smash on a pinball table!

I do hope there’s some kind of loyalty reward for people who own Zen and Marvel and who wind up getting the game for the Vita, too. I’d definitely buy the game for my Vita if I could keep all the DLC I’ve paid for already — just like I take it you’re doing for ZP2, which is VERY much appreciated!