Far Cry 4

UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss Opens The Black Market

John Garvin's Avatar + Posted by John Garvin on Feb 13, 2012 // Creative Director, Bend Studios

As we get closer to the launch of PS Vita and UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss, the team at Bend Studios is getting amped! We’ve been working on this game for a long, long time, from early brainstorming sessions on the PS Vita beginning in 2008, through the production phase that wrapped up at the end of 2011. When given the opportunity to create a launch title for PlayStation’s new next-gen handheld, we jumped at the chance. When asked what game we’d like to make, we said UNCHARTED! Here’s why.

From the beginning, our goal was to create a great UNCHARTED game. We wanted to give players, including ourselves, more of what they love, but with the PS Vita’s unique spin. The cinematic experience, the gunplay and weapons, the compelling story and characters, the mystery and treasure hunting based on real history, the puzzles, the platforming, and of course, the colorful and detailed imagery… it’s all there. But it’s on a gorgeous five-inch screen that you can take with you.

If you’ve been following all the pre-release news, then you know that UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss also has a ton of collectibles — more than 300, in fact. We wanted to not only give the game some replayability with some additional exploration, but also to tell more backstory, which we do through the items you collect, locations you photograph, and other puzzles you solve. All of these are tied to Trophies that can be earned. We didn’t forget the gamer who prefers gunplay, either: one of the collectible types in UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss are the Bounties. These drop randomly from fallen enemies throughout the game and represent things that might have been found in the area you’re fighting in: old Spanish playing cards, gold and silver coins, and so forth. Many of these items are scarce, and some are really rare. You’re not going to collect all these on a single playthrough!

UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss -- Black Market

But we’re not cruel. To make it a little easier to collect all the Bounties, we created The Black Market. This is a near application that allows you select a Bounty type from your collection and send a request out to the Black Market. If any other PS Vita players out there (in the area where you made the request) have a Bounty that you’re missing, the Black Market will send you a copy of their Bounty, even the rarest collectibles. We even created a sixth Bounty type that you can obtain only through near: if you send a request to the Black Market and no one has what you need, the Black Market will send you a carved Fetish for you troubles. While the five bounties are tied to Trophies, the Fetishes are not… so you don’t have to use near to achieve Platinum. But for those of you who want to try a little Black Market trading, take your PS Vita with you!

PS Vita’s launch is right around the corner. We can’t wait!

PAGE 1 2

+ Blade133 on February 13th, 2012 at 6:38 am said:

Looks awesome! I think I’m going to hold off for a little while though. I was feeling a bit burnt out on the series by the end of the U3. By the way, did anybody feel that Drake’s dialog was flat in that trailer? It just sounded kinda monotone to me.

+ Reluctant-Hero on February 13th, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

The Black Market sounds like a great addition! Are there any plans to add any sort of multiplayer modes? Either co-op or versus matches?

+ Rathclav on February 13th, 2012 at 6:42 am said:

That’s really too bad. As a Canadian gamer who lives in a smallish town every time a game locks a feature to things like ‘near’ it really hurts. As there are only 3 Vita’s in this city with a population of 50,000 the odds I’m gonna ever see even one of these is quiet low. Thanks for insuring an near impossible trophy!

John Garvin's Avatar

+ John Garvin on February 13th, 2012 at 1:40 pm said:

@Rathclav

You don’t have to use NEAR to Platinum the game. The Fetishes are not tied to trophies because we didn’t want to penalize players who live in more rural areas. Sorry about the poor wording in my blog… I’ll edit to clear up the confustion.

+ ScreamAimFire999 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:03 am said:

I thought Uncharted disabled network features anyway…

+ DuoMaxwell007 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

I seriously hope this game gets ported to PS3 eventually like all the good handheld games have been (god of war origins collection for example) and the two Syphon Filter PSP games that eventually got ported to PS2

+ hush404 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

Ugh. You serious? You put trophies that are only attainable if I use near? You ****ERS. There goes any GD hope that I’ll ever plat this game. I don’t live in an area where I’d just be strolling around and have tons of Vita users walk on by. This is utter BS.

John Garvin's Avatar

+ John Garvin on February 13th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

@hush404 Sorry about the confusion. You don’t have to use NEAR to Platinum the game.

+ MrPatrick16 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

im very interested in this game and since i’ve only played uncharted 2, this looks like a game that can get me liking the series..i think ill wait till its around 30 bucks or below though cause even though im interested in the game, im not “$50 interested” haha..either way, keep up the good work and a high five to you all

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 13th, 2012 at 7:43 am said:

Baffling decisions:

– Lack of multiplayer? Really guys? In 2012? Hope you patch it in like GG did with Killzone Liberations, ideally with some maps being cross platform with PS3.
– $50 bucks? In this day and age there’s no place for $50 handheld games. There wasn’t a place for it pre iphone on PSP. I’m sure everyone remembers that GTA was $50 on PSP when it launched. Make the ceiling for game prices be $40 bucks.

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on February 13th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

Looking forward to getting my hands on this one…

+ skinel on February 13th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

@ 6
Yeah, i’m in the same situation…
I’ve basically given up on this plat.

+ Erza_Scarlet on February 13th, 2012 at 8:16 am said:

OMG! This is horrible! So if you can’t use “near” you can’t get the plat? I don’t think that in my town a lot of people will get a PSV, so how the hell will I get this trophies? Really bad move Sony Bend, I’m cancelling my order of this game…

John Garvin's Avatar

+ John Garvin on February 13th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

Again, sorry for the confusion guys. Read my posts above. Black Market was designed to make obtaining Bounties easier. You don’t have to use it to Platinum the game.

+ Dinluker on February 13th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

Reading this makes me glad I decided to skip this game. The series it great but “near” functions and a price thats too high for a portable game make it not worth it.

+ JimmyHACK on February 13th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

I am pretty sure he didn’t word it properly enough or explain enough, and we are reading it wrong….

Worst case scenario is we need one item from Near that you get when near can’t find stuff from anyone Near you. In which case everyone could get this pretty easy.

+ Erza_Scarlet on February 13th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

I hope you’re rigth Jimmy, but read this:

“We even created a sixth Bounty type that you can obtain only through near”…

That really f*** up every person that can’t use “near”

+ JimmyHACK on February 13th, 2012 at 8:39 am said:

Erza… read the rest of the sentence of your quote.. it is the one that anyone should be able to obtain since it’s a “can’t find” kinda bounty.. and all the Vitas can use near.. you don’t need GPS.. Wifi can be used for location.

I think it’s something to not worry about honestly.

+ PSN_Tokeio on February 13th, 2012 at 8:39 am said:

There is no Black Market in the regular game thus it will not be required for the platinum. Several people have already platinumed the game, everyone needs to relax. I believe this Black Market will be an add-on.

+ JoeTheBeast16 on February 13th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

I’m really glad that you guys finally fixed the price for U:GA on the PSN, Bought and downloaded it yesterday.
Looking forward to playing it on the vita!

+ JimmyHACK on February 13th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Who knows if the US version doesn’t include any extra trophy yet… could have been added…. Either way like I said… nothing to worry about.

+ Erza_Scarlet on February 13th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

Jimmy… It’s not the fact that you need to use GPS or something, it’s the fact that you need another people in your zone that have a PSV and play this game, and I don’t think that in my town there will be another people playing it or even having a PSV….

+ JimmyHACK on February 13th, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

Erza, Incorrect… my point was that this one added “Fetish” is for not being able to find anyone on Near around you with bounties you need. So in your case and everyone’s case this won’t be a problem. If people aren’t around you at all, then you get it. If you have people around, they may or may not help your bounties,. If they do the first time, then just search again and then they can’t help you anymore so you get it.

Don’t worry :)

+ PSN_Tokeio on February 13th, 2012 at 9:06 am said:

JimmyHACK, the game has been out in the US for over a week.

The trophies are the exact same between regions. I don’t understand why people are so up in arms over a NEW feature that is an ADD-ON to the game?

+ Heavenly_king on February 13th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

@6:

There is no need to use NEAR for earning trophies; it will just make it easier for you to obtain some. As John said you will be able to obtain all the collectibles by doing multiple playtroughs in the game.

+ hush404 on February 13th, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

@22 – If true, thanks. The way it was worded sure as hell doesn’t seem as such though.

John Garvin's Avatar

+ John Garvin on February 13th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

Yeah, sorry about that.

+ MarkakaJin on February 13th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Anyone who’s NEAR me, let’s do this!

+ Erza_Scarlet on February 13th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

@21: Because they can change something and items that normally appears from some enemies maybe now they will never appear… Forcing you to use “near”

+ JimmyHACK on February 13th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

It’s gonna be ok everyone :) 2 more days!

+ TheGuardianFID on February 13th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

YAY, my copy of the game just arrived from Amazon, now I just have to wait until Wednesday for my first edition Vita bundle to arrive so I can play it lol. 8P 8)

+ Erza_Scarlet on February 13th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

Well, I will get my vita in one more week, so if the review says that it needs near to get some trophies… I will skip this game…

+ jazzyrider on February 13th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

Very nice– can’t wait to try this game out! I still need to finish Uncharted 3 in the meantime….

+ SogeKing on February 13th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Really digging the new trailer!

+ Midgetguy on February 13th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

@Everyone complaining about NEAR functionality.

They said that everything is obtainable even if nobody is around you. Near is only used to make it easier to find items you don’t have!

And, for all of the NEAR exclusive items, you get those specifically if nobody around you has the item you’re looking for! So, technically, people in less populated areas have a HIGHER chance of getting the platinum than those of us who live in populated areas with lots of Vitas.

I hope that cleared it up for everyone.

+ XFRod on February 13th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

If anyone seriously would cancel their plans to buy this over a trophy list, I’d be glad to see them go. Go grab Hanna Montana, Rango, or any of the other countless, easy, Platinum cake walks.

Considering I like to actually know the people on my PSN friends list, NEAR means I’ll get to know more players in my area.I’m excited about the game using the NEAR feature. Since it’s pretty much a given, that this will be a very popular title, it will get more people using NEAR that might not have otherwise. More people, means more connections, and more friends on the PSN list.

That said, I can feel for the people that might not live in a bigger city. However, I’d encourage you turn on NEAR and check it out. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll find out that you really aren’t the only one in town with a PS Vita. Gamers are every age group, every walk of life.. Gamers are everywhere.

+ ERC1980 on February 13th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

So just to clarify, you DON’T need to use the near app to Platinum this game.

It just makes it easier to obtain the platinum.

John Garvin's Avatar

+ John Garvin on February 13th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

That is correct. You can Platinum the game without using NEAR.

+ time17 on February 13th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

I was just want it to know will Sony release the names of the games that can be played on remote play to the ps3

+ hush404 on February 13th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

@31 – I don’t know. Look at this line

“We even created a sixth Bounty type that you can obtain only through near: if you send a request to the Black Market and no one has what you need, the Black Market will send you a carved Fetish for you troubles. Again, all of these are tied to Trophies. If you want that Platinum, you’re going to want to take your PS Vita with you!”

+ zombie9 on February 13th, 2012 at 11:14 am said:

does anybody know a price on PSN for this GEM. asking for a friend :)Uncharted fan would like to know

+ JimmyHACK on February 13th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

@zombie $44.99

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on February 13th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Wow this game has lots of content on the go. Is there anything that is done on console that this game does not do???
So happy I will get uncharted with my vita this wednesday
Can’t wait!!!!!
B-)

+ villaintine on February 13th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

Trophies and collectibles don’t appeal to me, or anyone I actually know who plays these games. The complete lack of the co-op/multiplayer features, which gave the last two Uncharted titles such staying power, makes this a no buy for me and my friends’ list. Had this title incorporated co-op/multiplayer into its feature set, this would have been a day one buy for a number of us, even at sixty bucks, but as is I can tell you everyone I know is waiting for the price to fall to around twenty bucks before picking it up. Best of luck to Bend Studios in the release of this title, but I feel like developers are severely underestimating the audience for co-op/multiplayer experiences which they are alienating when they release these single player only titles.

+ Revolutionary on February 13th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Will the Japanese version be receiving the Black Market or is this a NA version exclusive? I imported a Vita with Uncharted and I’d hate to miss out on being able to trade the Bounties via near. Some of them are pretty tough to get.

+ ironman12364 on February 13th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

Looks like fun stuff thanks :D

+ blakseed on February 13th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

Some people are really serious about their trophies and MP. How did they get by in the PS2 generation? Guess no one plays games for fun anymore. ;/

Game is looking great by the way. It’s part of the Uncharted series, so of course it’s going to be great. wtf am I thinking?

+ dlhdav7 on February 13th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

just got my uncharted !! but i can’t play in till the 22nd!! 50 dollars to play game a week early is stupid! I think Sony should have moved the release day to the 15th so every one can enjoy it !! but they want the money!!!!

+ cosmis_chaos on February 13th, 2012 at 1:55 pm said:

Please stop going on about UC:GA being $50.00 please. It is one of the few games that is that price. It is only $10.00 less then a PS3 game and $10.00 more then a 3DS game which Nintendo charges you $40.00 for remakes and ports. No one is twisting your arm to buy it. Stop all the whining for once please.

@ villaintine. the first Uncharted game had no co-op or multiplayer at all and was a great game to play. Many of Sony’s games have no multiplayer and are still great games. MP doesn’t make a game great. UC can stand on its own.

+ DrAcoustic on February 13th, 2012 at 2:04 pm said:

lol @Erza_Scarlet.. you’re really going to cancel a preorder just because you can’t platinum a game?

+ mastorofpuppetz on February 13th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

@6, are people really getting that upset over trophies? I mean who the heck plays games for the trophies? This nonsense with trophies is just that, why even care about trophies just play and enjoy the games. The moment playing a game becomes about getting trophies it becomes work not fun. I liked the days people played games to, you know, have fun… Games today weird whiney bunch.

+ mastorofpuppetz on February 13th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

PS: Not every game needs multiplayer, man i hate this generation of gamers. Not every game eeds MP slapped on. All innovation in gaming happens in the SP games, with story adventure. MP is where the trash of gaming is.

+ mastorofpuppetz on February 13th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

LOL, @28, pathetic beyond belief.

+ Erza_Scarlet on February 13th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

@mastorofpuppetz: everybody plays for several motives, I like to complete my games and I enjoy doing it, I’m not saying that Uncharted is a bad game, I was only saying that I prefer to skip this game, is that too hard for you? You feel really bad because I don’t play it? I’m not letting you play it? So, let me be happy.

Thx Mr. John Garvin for your answer, I’m happy now =).

+ lisatsunami on February 13th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

John, big whining babies aside, your post only makes me more excited for UGA. Or is it U minus1. Anyway, I’m getting the Wi Fi model so it’s unlikely anyone will be Near in my living room or Starbucks, but it sounds like an incredibly innovative use of this new tech.

PAGE 1 2