PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

January 2012 PSN Top Sellers: NFL Blitz Hustles to the Top Spot

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Feb 15, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Top 20 PSN Games of The Month

Welcome to this month’s PSN Top Sellers, where we break down the content that moved the most over the past month.

Looks like a lot of you had football fever as a ton of PSN gamers picked up NFL Blitz, EA Sports’ revival of the arcade and console classic and a perfect accompaniment to the end of the NFL season. On the handheld front, Corpse Party went for its third straight month at the top of the PSP charts, but the imminent release of PS Vita may spark a new surge in PSP title downloads — check back next month. In PSone Classics, while Final Fantasy VI enjoyed the top spot last month, Final Fantasy VII reclaimed its (rightful?) spot at the top. Lastly, Battlefield 3 DLC earned two spots on the Add-Ons category. Will Modern Warfare 3 DLC for Elite members hitting in February move the needle?

What PSN games did you play most in January? Share your thoughts in the comments below and we’ll see you next month with February’s most downloaded content on PlayStation Network.

Top 20 PSN and PS3 Full Games

1) NFL Blitz – Gamers loved the combination of the arcade-style gameplay that made the original a hit along with the immersive game modes of today.
2) NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
3) Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
4) inFAMOUS 2 Festival of Blood
5) Sonic CD
6) PAYDAY: The Heist
7) Dungeon Defenders – The 12 for ’12 sale in the PlayStation Store in January may have had something to do with Dungeon Defender’s surge to the top 10.
8) Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD
9) AMY
10) Crysis
11) Resident Evil 4
12) Shadow of the Colossus – Quite possibly the best game you could ever hope to place on your PS3 hard drive. The ICO / SOTC collection was made available for individual download in January.
13) Castle Crashers
14) Trine 2
15) REAL STEEL
16) Darksiders – This cult classic made its debut in the PS3 Full Game category. Download it to get set for the sequel due out later this year.
17) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
18) Battlefield 1943
19) Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
20) Saints Row 2

Top 5 PS3 Add-Ons

1) Battlefield 3 – Back to Karkand
2) Call of Duty: Black Ops
3) Gran Turismo 5 – Car Pack 3 – The release of GT5 XL seems to have re-sparked the racing community.
4) Gran Turismo 5 – Speed Test Course Pack
5) Battlefield 3 – SPECACT Kit & Dog Tag Bundle

Top 5 PSone Classics

1) FINAL FANTASY VII
2) FINAL FANTASY VI
3) FINAL FANTASY ORIGINS – The debut of Final Fantasy Origins comes in strong, but not strong enough to dethrone two classic RPG titans.
4) CHRONO CROSS
5) FINAL FANTASY IX

Top 5 PSP Games

1) Corpse Party – Can Corpse Party hold on to it’s top spot for the 4th month in a row?
2) Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
3) NBA 2K12 PSP
4) FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS
5) Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 PSP

+ onslaughtree on February 15th, 2012 at 8:19 am said:

Yaaaa for Darksiders. Truly a classic. I might just have to check out Corpse Party for my pspGo.

+ doctormoon on February 15th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

nice, i gotta check Corpse party either on the my psp 3000 or the vita when i get it

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on February 15th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

I downloaded it myself since i just picked up my Vita. Really curious to see how the PSP numbers move with new Vitas in hand. I’m super tempted to download other PSP games like Tactics Ogre

+ Shacojin on February 15th, 2012 at 8:37 am said:

Hmm maybe I need to check out NFL Blitz.. ??.. Can’t wait for the new Battlefield DLC!

+ Sonicfan11589 on February 15th, 2012 at 8:42 am said:

If u can forward this to someone, on the blog share, can u add “Vita” to the list of idea focus? thanks if u are able to. this is so we can be more specific with our ideas on blog share.

+ gerardvstheworld on February 15th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

Really have to check out Infamous: Festival of Blood. I recently finished Infamous 2.

+ Zoidzerg on February 15th, 2012 at 9:31 am said:

I may have to get over my shunning of EA snatching up exclusive NFL rights and pick up NFL Blitz and NBA Jam. Anyone have anything to say about whether they are any good? The originals were a blast in their day but I can’t help but feel they just will not age well.

+ germix27 on February 15th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

Nicee Shadow of the colossus its one of the best of all time!

+ camiwaits_us on February 15th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

Jeeeeez, who are all these people buying Amy? Poor suckers.

+ NeoPhantome on February 15th, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

Glad to see that Final Fantasy games are still holding its position in the Top 5 in PSone classics :)

+ Matrix_Lion on February 15th, 2012 at 9:57 am said:

From that list I own NFL Blitz, NBA JAM: On Fire Edition, Resident Evil 4, & Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection. I bought the Mortal Kombat Klassic Fight Stick for PS3 and it came with DLC code for Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection.

+ Burningfoot on February 15th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

@zoidzerg I cant say anything about Blitz but I do have NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and it is the BEST NBA Jam version I have played to date. Has everything the others had back in the day and then some, I highly recommend it.

+ snakeeyes211 on February 15th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

Where can I find the augmented reality games for my vita?

+ Rotsujin on February 15th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Would be much more interesting with numbers.

+ gravislord on February 15th, 2012 at 10:52 am said:

I am hoping that SCEA and their 3rd Party Publishers push hard, pricing-wise, with both VITA and PSP content, as I imagine most VITA users will want to play the many awesome PSP games that are already in the store or their library.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on February 15th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

that’s great feedback, thanks!

+ SquareSide on February 15th, 2012 at 10:59 am said:

SE still has a gold mine in FF7. If they ever did a faithful remake I would trade in my entire gaming collection for it. Sorry haters!

+ burnlife308 on February 15th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

It’s kinda sad to see that the BF3 specact add-on made the top 5 add-ons charging $3 for 100 KB download that they was already released for certain pre orders. They will release it in 6 months free anyways like EA always seems to do but if ppl keep buying useless add-ons companies well keep holding back content then selling it back to us

+ Shin-Ra on February 15th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

I’m happy to see inFAMOUS FOB, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath and Shadow of the Colossus up there.

+ Major_Hoare on February 15th, 2012 at 11:12 am said:

@5

NBA JAM is a great update to the series. IMHO: the new Jam is the definative version of the game! NFL Blitz is ok at best but it suffers from a game freezing glitch on one of the loading screens.

+ ReptileHand on February 15th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

Wait so If I buy and purchase Corpse Party on PSN, I can download it to my Vita and play it? Sweet! I never had a PSP since it didn’t interest me. The Vita on the other hand, does. This game looked very good, and I can’t wait to get it once I get a Vita when the price drops.

+ NotoriousGamer on February 15th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

The PS1 offering needs Driver 1, Driver 2, Pitfall 3D, Tekken 1, Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 2.

If the soundtrack licensing is an issue then just remove the soundtracks

+ Darewind on February 15th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

I hope there is a MSRP drop on PSPs soon as my old one somehow walked away (ie stolen) a few months back and I want to play some of the UMD games I purchased they day it left.

+ Knight613 on February 15th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

Will we be getting a list of the Top 10 best selling Vita games on PSN next month?

+ AizawaYuuichi on February 15th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

I’ve got a couple titles from the top 20 PSN list, but the only one I actually bought that contributed to this list was Trine 2. Though, due to my backlog, I haven’t actually played it yet. I’ll get there someday!

+ TheDarkChaplain on February 15th, 2012 at 4:26 pm said:

GO, XSEED, GO!
Corpse Party is such a gem, it deserves that top-spot!

+ LordRazen38 on February 15th, 2012 at 5:14 pm said:

Nice for Final Fantasy!!!

+ NICE41 on February 15th, 2012 at 8:04 pm said:

I love Sony and all the great games I have played, but just release the numbers already. Especially now since the Vita is released and will have a significant amount of games purchased through thr playstation store and no other console on the market will be doing this much digital distribution weekly!

+ S_T_O_N_E_ on February 16th, 2012 at 12:37 am said:

Hi, Quick question; are anymore ps2 classics coming out? =) I personally would LOVE to see a game like Tales Of The Abyss come out to the ps3 in an HD or something. Thanks for your time (:

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 16th, 2012 at 9:16 am said:

- Any chance of putting a list for the most played games on PSN?

– List of Top selling PS2 classics?

– List of Top selling PS3 full games and PSN games by itself?

– And then list of best selling games that includes everything (PS3 full games, add-on, PSN, PS1, PS2, minis, Vita, PSP, etc)?

That would be a very thorough and interesting list to look forward to monthly

Btw, Call of Duty Black Ops is not an add on…..

+ krazyG7804 on February 16th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

@SquareSide

FFVII + PS3 format = i dont care how much it costs, i’m getting it!!!!!!!!!!!!! why arent they listening to people like us? PLEASE MAKE THIS GAME

+ JonJonXD on February 16th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

I feel so sorry for all of the people that purchased Amy.

NFL Blitz rightfully so should be at the top spot. So much content for only $15 USD.

I hope Gotham City Imposters is up there next this month as well.

+ gregppg on February 16th, 2012 at 2:20 pm said:

i jusr bought the playstation plus , but then my ps3 is having troubles (older one) , (need a new one) but will i be able to use the playstation plus with my new ps3

+ Pompeyfan14 on February 16th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

Hello, i was just wondering if or when NFL Blitz would be available in the UK? Thanks

+ Rocstarr on February 17th, 2012 at 3:13 am said:

cool

+ frylock98 on February 17th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

HAHAHAHAHAH “Will Modern Warfare 3 DLC for Elite members hitting in February move the needle?” Next year, since it ends, beat Microsoft to a contract with Activision and sign one with them yourself, so we can get DLC earlier than they can. That would make us happy, and since it would make them mad, we would be even happier. I’m sick of getting DLC later for the same price with nothing in it Xbox doesn’t have, They also get another drop on the 21’s, so they get two drops before we even get one.

+ dang_fang on February 29th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

dang….. megaman is up there? i gonna buy it