PS4-Infamous

Wheels of Destruction Coming to PSN

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar + Posted by Kerim Borchaev on Feb 16, 2012 // Lead Designer

Few things are as universal as the lust to drive fast and destroy expensive machinery. Everyone likes driving and crushing things, so when given the green light, Gelid Games leaped at the creation of Wheels of Destruction. A lot of inspiring games came to mind, and we wanted to make our mark on the industry with an interpretation that is near and dear to us.

Before we got anywhere, we had to pick a platform, and going PSN exclusive was an obvious choice for us. Sony’s platform has become much easier to develop on, and the fact that we’re able to self-publish goes a long way in retaining our mindshare over the game. We wanted to know that every bit of perfection and every flaw was of our own design.

Once we had our platform in mind, we began searching for an engine. After trying as many that came through our doors, we found our place with the Unreal Engine, thanks to its great graphics and smooth asset production pipeline. We wanted to make the most out of the tools we had at our disposal. Our ideas were grand, with levels five times larger than what production suggested we’d be able to accomplish. We knew that a fine balance had to be made to have the world feel large while still allowing the vehicles to conquer the terrain. Cars cover a lot of ground, eliminating opponents from unbelievable distances. By staying true to our epic ideas, we could make the game more tactical and the speed feel more real.

Wheels of Destruction - 01

The engine allotted us an abundance of opportunity. High-quality textures, visual effects and a robust physics engine made Unreal not only a development tool, but an inspiration. The PhysX library that’s built into Unreal Engine gave us the idea to create a world with quite lofty physics…literally. Having cars soar above enemies effortlessly allowed the game to not be constricted to the established laws of car combat. With the physics we’ve created, players can feel the thrill of driving while having the tactical flavorings that high-flying jumps allow.

We spent a lot of time thinking about how to make a game that was accessible yet deadly competitive. What we conceived became an arcade-style death pit of a car combat game, yet with precise control. This allowed us to build a game that was, as many state, “easy to learn, hard to master.” The game plays blazingly fast and allows players to shoot accurately using a unique control scheme built around controlling the vehicle with a single analog stick. The resulting dynamical combat is something we haven’t seen on PS3 before.

One of the last mechanics we solidified was the class system. We wanted every person who plays to find a style that best fits their gameplay. By taking a classic approach, classes like the scout (a speed class) and heavy (a tank class) became more identifiable. Everyone could be on an even keel and still have a car that played in a unique and specific way. Better yet, this allowed us to give players the option of choosing and switching classes throughout a match, much like a loadout.

Wheels of Destruction - 02

Throughout development, we were seeing anywhere from 150-200 lethal encounters per match; every five seconds, an opponent is getting wasted off its wheels going 150mph. This was a pleasant set of data for us to come across, as one of our paramount goals in this game is to create a visceral online tournament. We were thrilled to see that our stress on high speed, soaring heights and large maps made for a game that was solid with sturdy netcode and a fluid framerate.

The game’s almost here. It’s rife with weapons of every combination, car classes that define the pace of the battle, and metal sinew to the brim. Developing this game has been a huge experience in all the most obvious and inobvious ways. Whether it’s tweaking the balance until our fingers are numb or having a discussion about what super fun trophies we could throw in, it’s been a fantastic ride. I’m really excited to start playing with people.

PAGE 1 2

+ FORMIK on February 16th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

The game looks slick! What types of classes will be available besides the scout and tank, and how aside from speed and possibly armor will they differ?

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

I won’t spoil your anticipation with revealing the remaining classes. As for possible differences: in game, you’ll quickly notice, that even the shape of the car matters, not to mention size, boost power, and other bits of intricate internal wiring

+ newsense2008 on February 16th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Twisted Metal just came out! why do we need this game now?

+ crusher915 on February 16th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Soooo… Twisted Metal, Smash N Survive and this…. Awesome

+ Cyris on February 16th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Twisted Metal owns the car combat genre. You can’t compete with it. It’s pointless to even try.

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

Competition is at the core of racing!

+ edyrfaciola on February 16th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

I’m really glad Twisted Metal is bringing back Car Combat games

“The game plays blazingly fast and allows players to shoot accurately using a unique control scheme built around controlling the vehicle with a single analog stick.”

I hope you guys can also make other control options available too

Release Date? Is a Demo going to be available?

Do you guys have a twitter account, website, blog ..

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

find us on facebook.com/wheelsofdestruction or http://www.wodgame.com – we’ll be answering your questions there at some point

+ Major_Hoare on February 16th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

2012 must be year of the car combat games much like 2011 was year of the zombie games.

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

2013 will bring us zombies on wheels!

+ PaperCarrier on February 16th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

Looks a little like Twisted Metal.

+ blakseed on February 16th, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

Actually looks like a pretty fun title.

+ b00kthree on February 16th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Twisted Metal is a non-starter if you don’t play M games. This looks fun. Thanks, guys.

+ eaglefan129 on February 16th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

I wonder if they forgot what game just came out two days ago…

+ SolidusSquirrel on February 16th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Good idea: Releasing a car-combat game.

Bad idea: Releasing a car-combat game when a new Twisted Metal has just released.

+ jgrizzle358 on February 16th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

I plan on buying this day one just to spite everyone who just commented. lol.

don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Twisted Metal, I pre-ordered it, it’ awesome.

But, car combat games in general are awesome.

Don’t be so quick to judge this until you’ve actually tried it.

+ Elway358 on February 16th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

Twisted Metal is overpriced, underdelivering junk just as it has always been. This is a great PSN game for vehicle combat lovers that will be a much better pricepoint and tbh, looks to have just as nice graphical presentation…

Sorry but Twisted Metal still looks like a crappy made PS2 game…

+ luvtoseek on February 16th, 2012 at 12:41 pm said:

Guys you CAN have/own/enjoy more than one game of any genre right? Stop with the childish negative comments. Intead voice your opinion if the title has notable issues like corrupted saves, framerate lag, buggy trophies, etc…

+ gameman15 on February 16th, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

Nah, no thanks. I’ll just stick with Twisted Metal.

+ Erik9990 on February 16th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

u guys had 10 years of no twisted metal and the WEEK it comes out u relase a game just like it others have tryed no one has ever been as good as twisted…dumb idea bring it out now do it when there was no others like it not now

+ lisatsunami on February 16th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

Hey, dooshies, show some respect to this dev & stop mentioning/comparing to TM. He made a very informative post that went way over my head, but I’m sure it means something to people who like car games. And he said very nice things about our favorite console, & this is an exclusive. All things we appreciate.

+ MadMeat001 on February 16th, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

lol people are hating cause it’s around the same genre as Twisted Metal, I think it’s gonna rock! I like the Flatout influence in there since the franchise died ever since Flatout 3 was released :D

+ FireGuy13 on February 16th, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

Looks like a fun game to me. I don’t really care what other games are out there. If this one is fun, then its fun. Honestly, I’ll have this, TM, and Smash n’ Survive. It never hurts to have options. That’s why I love gaming. THis may not be for you, and thats fine. But I’ll be sure to pick it up.

+ JLP_M on February 16th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

@18

Seriously, I swear like we got some of the worse fans on Playstation. People need to show respect, I for one will get this game.

+ burningwind on February 16th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

Jeez, people are foolish. We need multiple games in every genre. Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. In fact I want a gaming world where developers will compete for my attention. Everybody wins in that scenario. I for one am interested in this.

+ rmartinez10 on February 16th, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

This game reminds me of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars but I see it’s a different developer. If this controls and plays anything like that one, then this game will be a definite purchase for us.

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

we’ve had our share of fun with SARPBC too!

+ twistedfloyd on February 16th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

The KING is back. I am not interested. Best of luck but car combat requires some guts, and I don’t see any here. Like the idea of class base, but the actual game play does nothing to have me remotely interested.

+ bgardner on February 16th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

looks good but why release a car combat on a ps3 when twisted metal just came out even if you don’t play “m” games why would you want this game when car combat game play king twisted metal just came back and you had 5 years to put car combat games out on the ps3. might still get if price is right

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on February 16th, 2012 at 3:30 pm said:

This, and TM is definitely going to be a must buy for me, can’t wait for this game.

+ Agent_Clutch on February 16th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

Can we get a road rash remake ?

+ pody on February 16th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

@23 rmartinez10

That’s what drew me to checking out the video. :) This looks very awesome! Not like that fugly Twisted Metal trash.
If it plays anything like SARPBC, I will get it! It looks very similar, with the same game-engine also.

Does it have a releasedate?

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Sorry, we’re still “Coming soon”. But really soon, promise!

+ blakseed on February 16th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

Wonder what happened to the people that liked to play games instead of complain and nitpick. I miss those guys. Always a good thing to trash something before you try it apparently.

+ Cybexx on February 16th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

This seems ill timed, because if Twisted Metal sells well no one is going to play this game and if Twisted Metal sells poorly this doesn’t offer anything that is going sell this other than maybe its downloadable price, but probably not. If they think they are going to ride the Twisted Metal hype wave to success, I don’t think that really works with multi-player games, especially not as close to release.

+ gm914 on February 16th, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

I find some of these comments to this developer reprehensible. Have a little more tact than to trash the guys work and the effort he and his team have put in.

Yes there seems to be a recent surge inthe car combat genre, but everyone has a place. I’m glad they have chosen PS3 as their platform, and will be an affordable downloadable title, and will certainly consider a purchase.

Some of you need to grow up. You are not gamers.

+ ItaChu on February 16th, 2012 at 4:37 pm said:

why do you let people ripoff twisted metal sony lol

+ JitteryJordan on February 16th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

I’ll stick with Twisted Metal

+ Mattsta001 on February 16th, 2012 at 5:21 pm said:

I don’t understand the logic of releasing three car combat games in the same time frame. Surely there is someone in Sony management that realizes it is kind of retarded, right?

+ burnlife308 on February 16th, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

Awesome so glad I didnt pick up my pre ordered copy of Twisted Metal.When I purchase this it proves to me right there that it can connect to PSN servers. I know Jaffe WAS one of the elite Developers in the world but what kind of person doesnt have a beta when the games main focus is the MP. Ya 4 years ago when development started for TM online wasn’t as big on the PS3 as it is now he was the best in the business but unfortunatley Jaffe didntt seem to change with the industry this game had the potential to be 9.5 averages not the 7-8′s i’ve been seeing. Maybe an intern with Sony’s Santa Monica Studios Starhawk team will get him to see the future of MP gaming. I’ve watched Starhawk transform from a GOTY contender in late November and December to a game of this generation contender since the Public beta started and all because they listen to the community feedback.

+ Dangisuckatgamin on February 16th, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

I’ve lost faith in humanity. You kids need to learn to be respectful. I found the tm demo to be overrated. Played a clue games with multiple online errors and said no. As simple as that. I didn’t bash the developers based on my one time game experience, but I can say the graphics to this psn game look better than tm.

+ GhostGurl on February 16th, 2012 at 7:21 pm said:

wooo looks kinda fun

+ DA_SHREDDER on February 16th, 2012 at 9:11 pm said:

Avid twisted metal fan here, and I got to say I’m thoroughly impressed with the visuals and fidelity of this game. This game is perfect for my son, he loves twisted metal, but it’s obviously not catered to children, this looks like the perfect substitute to TM cause there’s no blood, no evil story line, and yet still close enough to the real deal. I hope this comes out sooner than later. Playstation 4 life!

+ Beattie_theBeast on February 16th, 2012 at 10:56 pm said:

Man this is just horrible timing I feel sorry for this developer because TM just came out there gonna lose some of the sales they should have put this out sooner. Especially with all the TM hype but I hope this developer successful.

And to all you guys complaining about graphics for TM, you guys shouldnt even be playing games if you actually care and base what you buy from the graphics.

Buy the games for gameplay not for graphics or trophies or any of this stupid nonsense.

+ RealityisFake on February 16th, 2012 at 11:19 pm said:

YES! YES! YES! I AM SO VERY EXCITED TO SEE MY FAVORITE LONG-LOST GENRE COME BACK: CAR COMBAT!!!

+ Kchow23 on February 16th, 2012 at 11:57 pm said:

Looks like Unreal Tournament but with just the vehicles and interesting that this is coming out after Twisted Metal.

+ sbattu on February 17th, 2012 at 12:45 am said:

test

+ siriusbee on February 17th, 2012 at 12:47 am said:

Can you connect to the servers to play online multiplayer in this game?

Kerim Borchaev's Avatar

+ Kerim Borchaev on February 20th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Yes, there will be online multiplayer

+ sbattu on February 17th, 2012 at 1:01 am said:

wow

+ migtest50 on February 17th, 2012 at 2:33 am said:

Great

+ Aleca_Encur on February 17th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

Look fun :D… thanks for another option, another thing I love on Sony’s consoles.
BTW, PS3 only or also on Vita?

+ jimmyfoxhound on February 17th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

I’ll check this out. I LOVED Vigilante 8 back on the PS1, hope this is kinda like that. Was never a fan of Twisted Metal so this looks like a fun alternative.

+ Grognard66 on February 17th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

Strange timing for this announcement. Twisted Metal was originally going to be a PSN game and now this gets announced as soon as that came out, pretty much re-emphasizing the point that a car combat game really should just be a downloadable title instead of a $60 retail game in today’s market.

+ cosmis_chaos on February 17th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

@ gm914. That is what happened when gaming became mainstream. Before gaming was for the determined, the respectful, the elite, the understanding. If you were a gamer you just weren’t some jabbing, loud mouth, whining about everything and refusing to listen to reason. We let all the riff raff, immature, disrespectful and ignorant idiots in

+ dmanjj2 on February 17th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

If I get some more coverage, then id defiantly download it. I don’t play M games so I wont be buying Twisted Metal. But this seems fun actually. Hope its good!

PAGE 1 2