Destiny The Taken King

Feb 21

plants vs zombies

Plants vs Zombies for PS Vita Shambles to PSN Today

Jeff Green's Avatar Posted by Jeff Green on Feb 21, 2012 // Director of Editorial and Social Media, PopCap Games

Hello again, PlayStation.Blog fans! I know it’s been over a year since we last spoke, and I am sorry about that. I’ve just been really busy and haven’t had time to write, and I swear I have not been cheating on you with the Xbox blog or anything.

Plants vs Zombies for PS Vita

Anyway, now that the awkwardness is out of the way and we’re friends again, I am here to tell you that I have another exciting announcement for you! Plants Vs Zombies is coming to your brand-spankin’ new PS Vita today! Yay! If you have never played our action-puzzler — that pits a horde of horticultural heroes against a mob of fetid, undead, brain-eating zombies – there is no better time than now. The PS Vita version is darn near the most perfect version of Plants Vs Zombies yet, taking advantage of the handheld console’s touchscreen and internal motion sensors. And if you have played it before, well, why not play it again? Think of it as training for the real zombie apocalypse, which, not to be too much of a bummer here, could be coming any day now. Why be one of the unfortunate ones who end up in some undead guy’s brain sandwich? Do the responsible thing and prepare now with our game! Your loved ones will thank you later.

Plants vs Zombies for PS Vita

If you want to know what you’re actually getting in this version, which I guess is a reasonable enough question, I can tell you that the PS Vita version includes all of these positively wonderful features:

• The complete, classic 50-level adventure game
  • The Zen Garden
  • 20 mini-games
  • 18 puzzle games
  • 10 survival games
  • 43 Trophies, including one Platinum trophy
  • The Zombatar zombie-creation tool
  • Online leaderboards

All for a paltry $14.99! That’s less than you’d pay at the movie theater for the latest rom-com movie and a bag of popcorn, and you’ll feel less bad afterward! Or, heck, if you must see the new rom-com movie, you can bring the PS Vita with you and then boot up Plants Vs Zombies once you realize the mistake you made! Either way, it seems like you should get the game, if you ask me.

Plants vs Zombies for PS Vita

So download Plants Vs Zombies from the PlayStation Network today! Do it for humanity! And the plants! And for those of us at PopCap who have kids going to college! Don’t make us beg! Because we will if we have to! Enjoy the game! Bye!

+ dlhdav7 on February 21st, 2012 at 5:48 pm said:

look at what hustle kings did !! That’s how you do it! If you already have the game on your ps3 you can download it to your vita!! there not trying to get more money out of us!!

+ Skeetlejuice on February 21st, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

I will say this for PvZVita, it’s not $40 like dungeon alliance…. WOW… JUST WOW! Anyone that buys that deserves a complimentary punch in the face. It’s things like that which scare me about bleeding edge adopting a vita. That and fifa would probably make me want to hurl it into a wall.

Also it’s 8:55 eastern and still no store update. CLASSY SONY, nothing like super late Vita launch day update to inspire confidence in your would be buyers. Well to be fair I think they should know what it’s like to deal with the psn updates and at least your setting their expectations in the right direction.

SONY the only company to not be able to update their e store or tell people times out of any major company I can think of. it’s tiresome and it’s weak. Just tell everyone internally update is Monday nights, then you’ll publish by 8 – 11 pm eastern on monday and you can continue to tell everyone else it’s tuesday. Problem solved. GAWD.

+ luvtoseek on February 21st, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

@ all upset at Sony for the price: guys/gals, if you could please link me to where Sony has the final call on the pricing model/structure. As far as I’ve know, devs NOT part of the Sony brand will decide the prices of their titles; do not point the finger at Sony.

+ Shadow_Enz on February 21st, 2012 at 6:08 pm said:

My sentiments have similarly been spoken already, so I’d just like to add a thank you for all the responses (~33%!). I’ve never seen that many responses before on something like this.

It doesn’t make up for being away for so long, but it definitely is a good start, hehe ;)

Also, would love to see if Pop Cap releases something exclusively for the Vita in the future that takes advantage of all of its unique features.

+ Jeff Green on February 21st, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

That is a great idea, yeah. I couldn’t possibly speak for the devs (because they’d kill me if I did), but I do know that lots of people in the company like the platform a lot. So who knows?

+ jwj011576 on February 21st, 2012 at 6:12 pm said:

Hello Sony where is the store update i want to see what we get for our vita’s

+ Biz_Markee on February 21st, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

New cutting edge platform, same garbage service. I find it harder and harder to defend Sony.

+ GameOverComesAll on February 21st, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

I’ll probably pick this up, especially since the Android version always force closes when I go to play a level now, but I do think it would be really cool if you guys could update the PS3 version to have a platinum trophy. I bought the disc version of it anyway, but I was a bit disappointed that it never had one. It’s one of the coolest games regardless, so keep up the good work :)

+ GameOverComesAll on February 21st, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

Oh, and now that I think about it… as far as I know, the Vita and PS3 versions of a game have the same exact trophy list. Since this wouldn’t be the case here, there must be separate lists. Would it even be possible to add in extra trophies and a platinum to the PS3 version?

+ dlhdav7 on February 21st, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

i’m not upset with Sony!! I’m upset with the game developers that try to push a game for 14.99 when it’s the same dame thing that i have on my ps3!!!hustle kings is letting you download it for free if you already have the game on your ps3!! there money hungry bastards !!!!!!!!

+ rezo360 on February 21st, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

you guys are moving like those zombies, where is the store update?

+ azariaspice on February 21st, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

I played it on PC years ago…. Got the PS3 version when it came out cos my boyfriend had heard of it and wnated to try it, and now… for the Vita….

Well, the touch screen surely makes it easier to plant zombies, that’s obvious. But what really sold me was the full trophy set. I love getting trophies, I feel it adds more challenge to games. Like, you might not try to do a speed run on that Sonic the Hedgehog level otherwise! You get what I mean anyways. The PS3 version only had a short trophy list, which I nearly finished in a few days. This will likely take longer, so I’ll definitely enjoy it a lot longer!

I’ll probably pick it up next week, already have a TON of games for the Vita!

+ Cloud_AC on February 21st, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

I know it’s getting repetitive, but I really do support the idea of updating the PS3 version with the rest of the trophies. It would make the already owners happy and attract new ones, for sure.
When I get a Vita, I’ll buy this version for sure too. The idea of playing this game with the touchscreen seems delightful.

+ Jeff Green on February 21st, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

Yeah I’ve passed that on to the devs. Waiting to hear back.

+ Tarqosis on February 21st, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

Definitely going to get this.

I would like to know if there are any plans to have Vita trophies be visible on PS3? I have a few friends who don’t have a PS3, only a FEB Vita. Ilike checking out what they have earned, how they are progressing, etc. Sadly, though they show up on PS3, with a trophy and rank count, no trophies or games are shown. Since the Vita games show up in both lists on the Vita (Vita only, as well as overall PSN list), will this be updated/corrected on Ps3? Seems a shame to not show off some shiny new trophies.

+ Jeff Green on February 21st, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

Good question. Going to forward that one along–thanks. Same goes for #106 above.

+ Chase167 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

will there be any trophies for this version?????

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Yes, we’ve added a whole bunch of trophies to the PS Vita version — 40+ trophies. There’s even a PLATINUM trophy out there just looking to be claimed!

+ Chase167 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

my bad theres trophies yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

+ Mastatheorm on February 21st, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

Any chance the ps3 version will receive an upgrade to bring it in line with the vita one!
Specifically trophy and feature wise :)

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

That’s something we’ll definitely keep in mind going forward.

+ xlKoRnlxPS on February 21st, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

Like @Mastatheorm said.. any chance we can get a discount or receive it for free if we paid for the PSN game on the PS3? Seems silly to buy it at 14.99 twice -_-‘

+ rcastudios on February 21st, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

I would love to have played this on the PS Vita for the first time but I have already played it on the iPhone and PS3, so this won’t be a purchase for me. Why don’t they release a new experience? The game is very easy to create so lets see a whole new adventure mode!

+ Jeff Green on February 21st, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

Well, it’s not THAT easy to create, believe me. But don’t worry. New stuff will be here EVENTUALLY. We just move very, very slowly at PopCap. There’s lots of good Netflix streaming on all the time, so it’s hard to stay focused!

+ terionus on February 21st, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Was about to post the same thing @xlKoRnlxPS said.

Do we get the PS Vita version free if we already have the PS3 version?

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

Hi Terionus – No, I’m sorry to report that’s not the case here.

+ BadFlounder on February 21st, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

This, Sony, is why the Vita pricing strategy is suspect….I can play this game on an iPad for $6.99 or $1.99 even as the game is usually on sale. It’s .99 to 2.99 on iPhone. Charging more for full games like Uncharted at least makes some sense but even that game should be 1/2 what it’s currently priced at. But games like PvZ are outrageously priced at $15.

+ Kasen23 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Yeah I was wondering the same thing I have already paid for this on the PS3 and don’t see myself spending another 15$ for basically the same game.

+ PSN_Tokeio on February 21st, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

OMG curse you. This will be my 9th PvZ purchase and clearly the BEST ONE YET. PLATINUM! Thank you PopCap, thank you, thank you, thank youuuuuuuuuuuu!

+ Crotin on February 21st, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Wow a platinum for the Vita version… *throws money at computer screen*

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

We knew that PLATINUM trophy would cater towards a certain group of trophy hunters :)

+ head20 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

would get it but i already have it on my ps3 this need to be free for those who own it on the ps3

+ Macrocephalus on February 21st, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Here’s the thing. I already bought this for the Mac, for $20, for my iPhone, for either $3 or $5 (I don’t remember which — it was a long time ago) and for my PS3, for $15. That’s maybe $40 I’ve already spent on the same game on three different platforms. Another $15 is just too darn much, especially given that the iPad version only costs $7.

If folks who bought it on the PS3 got some sort of discount, that’d be different, but as it stands? I really love the game (obviously) but no way.

+ Mastatheorm on February 21st, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

heh I hear you all, have the iphone and ps3 disc version (am a sucker for a disc and case :P). Great game!

Again hope we get an update for ps3 too. Also it tends to lag alot on ps3… is that fixed for the vita one?

+ DazeOfWar on February 21st, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

Just wondering what features does PvZ use that Vita offers.

+ Kchow23 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

If I bought the PS3 version.. would I have to pay for it again for the PS Vita?

+ Still_Dreaming_ on February 21st, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

I’m very happy to see trophy support for this, especially with a platinum.

+ DazeOfWar on February 21st, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

Sorry let me rephrase that. In what ways does it use the touchscreen and motion features?

+ saintaqua on February 21st, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

XBox Blog just called. You left your jacket there. Two timer.

Alas, I’ll probably get this again.
Wish you’d cut us some slack and make it $7 though.
Those trophies just make it too tempting to pass up though.
It’s like you bringing me irresistible chocolates after cheating with you know who.

+ Curtisio on February 21st, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

I don’t think I want this game because I have it on my PS3 and DS (PS3 is far better, of course, and was free). I beat both versions and can see getting it again.

I would like to ask if you are planning to make any of the other PopCap games?

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Any particular games you have in mind?

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on February 21st, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

I love this game on my iphone but I payed $3 for that version, I won’t buy the same game again for $15, maybe if it was $10 AND was compatible with both PSVITA and PS3 I’d rebuy it cause it’s a great game

+ bakerarmy on February 21st, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

Way to much for this game……It was given away free to plus users.

I dont need a fix that bad.

—————————————————Questions off Topic——————————————————————What up with the 3G? I got a First Edition Bundle, no mention of a month free? Just that a PSN game after 30 days of Activation. So what up with that?

Where is the UMvC DLC? The games said Jill and all the costumes are available, but they are no where to be found.

+ webzpinner on February 21st, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

WAH WAH WAH! OMG! WAH! I bought Tetris on NES, SNES, my laptop computer, my android phone, my gameboy, my gameboy color, Virtual Boy, my PS3, and now there might be Tetris on PSV, so I demand this latest version for FREE, coz I bought it on other platforms!

Spoiled brats!

+ icy1007 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

I already own the PS3 version. Do I really need to pay $15 again to play it on Vita?

+ icy1007 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

For anyone talking about the iOS version of PvZ: The PS3 version is vastly superior in almost all ways. The iOS version is a watered down port to fit onto Apple’s plague of a mobile device.

+ Joe-TFW on February 21st, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

If I ever bought a Vita, could I justify buying this a 7th time (iPod, iPad, PC, PC GOTY, 360, PS3)? I dunno. But if any game could tempt me, this might be it. Even my near 60 year old father loves this game. Glad that just about every system has a version available.

Now how about a true follow-up to this amazing game? You hear us PopCap? We want something NEW with this game. Then we can (happily) buy that on 7 different systems. :)

+ Jeff Green on February 21st, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

We hear you. :)

+ whatisdelicious on February 21st, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Is there cross-platform save data sharing? I can’t remember if there’s online co-op (pretty sure) but is there cross-platform online play?

Basically, are you at least taking advantage of the Vita’s features before charging $15 for the same game again, or are you just charging $15 for the same game again?

+ webzpinner on February 21st, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Seriously! No one says you HAVE to have it on Vita. IF you are a fan of the game, THEN you buy it on the Vita. IF the iPad or Android versions are good enough for you, then STICK WITH THE VERSIONS YOU BOUGHT. Now, SOME of the people on this glorious planet of ours don’t have smartphones, 6 different tablets, 9 game systems, 15 computers, 2 macbook pros, and might be buying PVZ for the first time. It’s THEIR prerogative to decide whether $15 is too much to spend. That’s the interesting thing about this capitalist society we live in…. people offer a product, and if it fills a need at a price deemed appropriate, people buy it.

I’ve got Angry Birds on my PC, two smart phones, Roku, and PS3… will I buy it on PSV? possibly, if it includes the Space upgrade. Why? It’s fun, and I don’t always want to drain my phone to play when I’m on the go. Same thing with PvZ. Some people may find it nice to have on a portable game system. Big whup. If you don’t like the price, wait for a sale. Happens a few times a year. If it still is too expensive, don’t buy it.

+ billyok on February 21st, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

Good lord, what a bunch of children in the comments.

No, you don’t get free copies of every PS3 game you own that comes to Vita. Yes, that’s fair. No one gives you a free Xbox game if you own it on PS3, so why should it be different here? The world can’t work for free to serve the whims of self-entitled kids with too many toys.

If you already own it on the PS3 and feel like you’re being ripped off for having to buy it again, here’s the good news: You don’t have to buy it again! Yeah, freedom!

More on topic: Sounds like the ultimate PvZ edition. Kudos to the ladies and gentlemen at PopCap.

+ TUSTIN1 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

Just stop buying this crap, then they’ll stop porting it and maybe come out with something new.

They’ll be more than happy to port every PS3 PSN game to the Vita if people are stupid enough to keep buying them.

+ spideyal on February 21st, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

Seeing as I already bought this game on PS3, Steam, and App Store (iPad/iPhone), I think I may need to pass this one up. I’ve already re-bought this game enough (and it only costed a few bucks on Steam during a sale). Which is very unfortunate since this game IS amazing (which is why I bought it 3 times lol), and I would have loved to have it on my Vita.

Maybe if it gets a half off, or Steam-style, discount I’ll think about picking it up for the Vita. Otherwise, I have no reason to at the moment.

As for everyone else (if you don’t already own it); go buy it now! You won’t regret it.

+ Tw1zTiD-MaFiA21 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Any chance this will get a retail release?

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 4:02 pm said:

At this time there’s no plans to create a retail version of Plants vs. Zombies PS Vita. Sorry!

+ angibri2000 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Love you Sony but you won’t get my money for this one. Already bought the PS3 version and without at least some sort of discount I much rather get Escape Plan. Love the game and would love to have it on my Vita but I don’t see myself paying twice for the same game. Plus got myself a handful at the moment with UGA, Rayman, Marvel vs. capcom, wipeout 2048, and lumines. Btw Vita rocks!!! ;)

+ adolson on February 21st, 2012 at 11:54 am said:

I was gonna wait for a sale, but then I saw it had lots of trophies. Bought it last night. :P

+ Jake Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

Good idea :) I’m eagerly waiting for PS Vita to arrive tomorrow so I can finally start earning those trophies!

+ iTofuMan on February 21st, 2012 at 11:58 am said:

I’m going to agree with others on this. Considering that they havent stated it on here its safe to assume we need to pay another 14.99 even if we bought it on the ps3. One would think that since the Vita main feature is Cross-Platform a lot of devs would take advantage of that, but i guess thats not the case here.

Still not saying PvsZ is a bad game, but seriously why exactly would i be paying again for a game i have played countless times on ps3/pc/ipod/ipad/ds? I mean unless this has a feature that isnt on the other platform there really isnt a point in buying this.

+ kilburni86 on February 21st, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

$15 is absolutely insane. This experience is available on most smartphones for less than a third of that price. Without any notable new features (i.e. new levels), this barely deserves the negative comment…it should just be shrugged off!

For $15 I could go buy Super Stardust Delta + Exp. Pack, Escape Plan, Hustle Kings, or probably MotorStorm RC (albeit unconfirmed since SCEA seems to dislike the title for some reason, not announcing a price or release date…). Please, PSN members, speak with your wallets on this one…don’t let a lazy developer pull the wool over your eyes!

+ dragonmagician on February 21st, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Wow, $15???

And I though the PlayBook version was expensive at $5. Anyways, I already bought it for PS3 (and iOS and PC), so I can’t justify another purchase, no matter how great the trophy list looks. So, unless it goes on sale for $5, or free for PS+, I will not be playing this version.

+ NeoRaidenX on February 21st, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

Wow, people are stupid… and greedy. No you won’t be getting this for free, if you already have the PS3 version. Are you guys high? You agreed to pay $15 or however much you paid for it for a version to play on PS3. You don’t automatically get every version of the game on any platform. It’s almost as stupid as saying I should get a PC version of a game for free if I bought Xbox360 game(emphasis on: almost as stupid). If you want to buy it AGAIN for $15, that’s completely up to you. Is it worth it? Probably not for the most of you, so don’t buy it, just don’t feel entitled to a free a copy of it. Now if they want to give a small discount for people who already own it on PS3, that’s there prerogative. Don’t hold your breath though.

I, for one, am very intrigued as I’ve never have played it. Was waiting for a sale to purchase on PS3, but I might just get the Vita version. The platinum trophy just sweetens the deal.