PS4 - Transistor

Starhawk Beta Update: 32 Players, Tanks, Jetbikes

Harvard Bonin's Avatar + Posted by Harvard Bonin on Mar 08, 2012 // Senior Producer, SCEA

Hey Starhawkers! Finally, the day has come. We’re launching our Beta Update 1.3 today! We’re really happy with this new content and we hope you like it, too. Check out this video to see what I’m talking about…

Since our Starhawk Beta launched in November, we’ve collected soooo much great info. The bugs found would never been nailed down without your efforts and we are confident we’ll be giving you one of the best online experiences on PS3 with the final version of the game. Many balance and feature changes were made as a direct result of player testing. Please accept a sincere “THANK YOU!” from our team.

We have one final big step to make before release. Update 1.3 includes a bunch of new features and fixes including:

Starhawk: Dust

Starhawk: Dust

32 Player Map: Planet Dust
If you thought 8 vs 8 was fun, things just got EPIC!

Starhawk: Sidewinder Jetbike

Sidewinder Jetbike
This vehicle is all about speed, speed, and more speed. As it’s a very hard target to hit, use the Sidewinder for quick hit and run attacks, fast road kills, or team up with others to SWARM the enemy base.
Did we mention it jumps, too?

Starhawk: Ox tank
Starhawk: Ox tank

Ox Heavy Tank
Say hello to our little friend. What the Ox lacks in speed, it makes up for in pure brawn and firepower. You can destroy enemy walls and structures via long range bombardments, assault mechs with explosive shells, and survive barrages while comfortable nestled in its heavily armored shell.

If you’ve been holding off joining the Beta then the time is now to jump in. The Starhawk Beta ends on March 27th in preparation for our May 8th release. Time is short, so find out what you’ve been missing — the Starhawk Beta is available for FREE on the PlayStation Network right now.

Go get it while you can!

PAGE 1 2

+ BLEACH-Fan on March 8th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

Maybe you can help me with something I keep throwing my money at the screen but nothing’s happening!!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:39 pm said:

Ha! That’s so weird. We’ll have to send someone over there to check your screen. :)

+ shika1983 on March 8th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

Can’t wait to be destroying stuff with that tank….. looks brilliant.

Not sure about the map as without bases to take it’s a looooonnng way between bases everytime you spawn. Yes you have the spawn beacons but they are too easy to destroy.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:42 pm said:

The Ox is a good time! You have two modes of fire too. Protect your beacons. Walls and Turrets are your friends.

+ KwietStorm on March 8th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

Now people can pipe down about tanks. This beta is starting to feel like a whole free game every week. I’m gonna go sleep until May.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

Sleep. Overrated. :)

+ Robbie_G_lrish on March 8th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

Yesssss… I’m psyched about this. Did you guys fix the mic problem where it cuts out and you can’t hear anyone for long periods of time? Did you implement the party system yet? I guess I’ll find out soon.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on March 8th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Whoa! I’ll definitely have to try this out. :)

+ CommandingTiger on March 8th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

First day buy for sure.
I’ll be playing this and Dust 514, very similar and free to play.
But I will buy Starhawk for sure, because it’s not like Dust 514.
They are both great!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

See you online!

+ Go_Buddie_Go on March 8th, 2012 at 11:14 am said:

T____T Such a beautiful trailer. Can’t wait to dive back into the beta.

+ gearhead32 on March 8th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

very sweet indeed can’t wait to get this game may 8th

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:46 pm said:

Did you pre-order? Great incentive at GameStop. $20+ in free DLC!

+ Hogwild333 on March 8th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Can someone at Sony or Lightbox confirm whether co-op will support splitscreen and online at the same time? I want to be able to play the four player co-op mode with two copies of the game and my two PS3s.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:47 pm said:

Co-op will support online split-screen. :)

+ swisstylez on March 8th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Love the Beta but I jus wish for one thing and is that the hawk were at least a bit more powerful!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:48 pm said:

Make comments on Beta Central and LBI will consider. :)

+ Seventy_X_Seven on March 8th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Are those new player customizations going to be in the 1.3 update or are you just (devilishly) teasing us?

Oh and the update looks great, can’t wait to try it out!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:49 pm said:

Guess you’ll have to play to find out. :)

+ KidCommando on March 8th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

oh my holy crap!

See you at Planet Dust!

+ cosmis_chaos on March 8th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

Whooohoo!!!! We are getting tanks AND jetbikes. Thank you very much. Time to go kick some butt

+ WrekGar on March 8th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

Damn I can’t wait for this game. You would do this update when I am going on vacation to Cali… ugh… fortunately I take my PS3 with me when ever I leave for more than 3 days… STARHAWK I will be playing!!

WrekGar AKA
The PS Blog-Stalker

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:50 pm said:

That is dedication!

+ DeadSpider on March 8th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

March 27th will be a sad day and a happy day at the same time. End of the Beta, but the beginning of the finishing touches on the game.

Hurry up May 8th!!!

O yea… Can we have a Sig and or Collectors Edition. Please *wipes tear*

+ SHINSPIKES on March 8th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

You guys gonna let us have the ability to make a party in this beta or full game? Would be nice to test out party and voice chat outside of game before starting game. Is this game gonna have the ability to start a group or invite friends?

+ diezelboy on March 8th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

I dont want to wait! it looks awesome! already have pre-ordred, i would wait for the game at the store. But gamestop has something against tents in their store…. :(

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:52 pm said:

What a weird rule. Thanks for the support! Please spread the word.

+ SHINSPIKES on March 8th, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Also, thank you for letting us test out the 32 player map. Will this map let us build more since theres more players? I have one thing to ask for change, is the ability for other players to destroy your builds and take its power for their own use. I hate it, its stupid. I will put up stuff that makes sense to defend the flag. But there are Aholes in the game who just want your energy so they can make more mech builds or whatever stupid thing they want. I work hard to defend the flag, just to allow someone in your team to mess it up. this needs to be changed.

+ DJHaole on March 8th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

We are poised at the ready to start the Urgent Fury Server up in 32 player mode

+ warezIbanez on March 8th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Thanks Harvard! The Rebel Alliance will be downloading this patch ASAP!

Speaking of which, if you the regular blog visitor are looking for a clan full of people that are great to get along with and know the ins and outs of Starhawk, the Rebel Alliance Clan is your answer. Visit our site, RebelAllianceClan.com and hit the Starhawk 101 section!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:55 pm said:

May the force be with you.

+ BigCee_N_TX1 on March 8th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

Yeeeeee hawwwww……the update begins :)

+ villdoc on March 8th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

oh man……….Awesomeness

+ Major_Hoare on March 8th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

Epic.

+ spiderboy59 on March 8th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!! XD

+ TheGuardianFID on March 8th, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

Awesome Sauce! 8)

+ DrPhiill on March 8th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

Looks awesome!!! The tank will be a great on the battlefield! cant wait to start blowing things up with it! :D

+ Savagekids1 on March 8th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

@Hogwild333

I checked Gamestop. There is 2-player local co-op (split-screen), and 1-4 player online co-op.

+ Savagekids1 on March 8th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

@15 @DeadSpider

There are GameStop pre-order bonuses…

+ akibake on March 8th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

Does this update fix the inability to group up with a friend in a match? I’m not talking about a match being full either. I’m talking about providing a way to join up with a friend and enjoy this beta together. It seems like a no-brainer to me: you want to spread the word about this great game. The best way to do that is let your players do the advertising for you, encouraging each other to get on-board. Yet, if it’s impossible to form a squad and join the game together, it makes the game look pretty bad and defeats the point of generating a street level buzz.

+ DarkOne_PR on March 8th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH # 29 the game its AWESOME but it NEEDS a party room b4 entering the match so u can invite ur friends! The game its based on team work but u cant get that playing with random idiots building the great china wall…

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on March 8th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

Awesome! Definitely am going to jump on and play with the new toys!

+ Hogwild333 on March 8th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

@savagekids1 – Thanks for looking that up on Gamestop. Their description still isn’t specific enough to answer my question though. To me that leaves open the possibility that the 1-4 player online co-op will allow split-screen but I want to be sure. I’ve searched all the Starhawk forums and I can’t find anything that conclusively answers it for me. I hope they respond.

+ Cloudburst– on March 8th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

Are Warhawks/Mechs still invincible from Ground Troops lock on rocket launchers? Can Hawks still wiggle the thumbsticks to evade all 8 rockets you fire?

Pointless pointless game.

+ ZhePrime on March 8th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Wow, the only real issue I had with the game so far in the Beta was the lack of vehicles and stuff. So this was a nice update.

+ cavewulf on March 8th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

Oh yea I’m definitely going to jump on my jetbike and drive into battle. If I get blown up on my way I’m coming bck with the heavy duty ox tanktank

+ YungShep on March 8th, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

awesome! im updating as i type!

+ crusher915 on March 8th, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

I haven’t tried the Beta but my favorite vehicle is still the KT-424 Combat Dropship, aaahh memories

+ FORMIK on March 8th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

Cool Stryker – I mean, tank! I’ve been looking forward to the tank for quite some time. Does it control like the tank from Warhawk, or more like the jeep?

+ tabasco8989 on March 8th, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

Amazing update, ready to jump into the all out war thats going to ensue from a 32 player map, and with new vehicles, EPICNESS HERE I COME!

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on March 8th, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

ohhhh mannnn the tank look BEAST!!!!!! this game deff just got a hell of alot better!!

+ manzoor47 on March 8th, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

did i heard 32 players? O.o now thats EPIC!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 8th, 2012 at 7:59 pm said:

Yes you did heard! Hop on and good luck.

+ devilmosh on March 8th, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

Just tried the new map and it’s sweeeet!

+ Anheuser on March 8th, 2012 at 9:34 pm said:

Cant wait until May!!!

+ Shacojin on March 8th, 2012 at 9:55 pm said:

Bring on Starhawk!

+ Heavenly_king on March 8th, 2012 at 10:39 pm said:

Sony, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ADVERTISE THIS GAME!!!!! HYPE IT!!!! If you don’t, it will bomb like Resistance 3 :(

+ DROPGRAVY on March 8th, 2012 at 10:49 pm said:

S W E E T !!

+ DarkEde on March 9th, 2012 at 1:49 am said:

OOOOOOHHHH NO! TANKS!!!

+ Ryuhza on March 9th, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

Played with the Update this morning, but I couldn’t figured out where or how to get the new vehicles. Do you build spawners? I couldn’t find them.

+ zaco988 on March 9th, 2012 at 6:16 pm said:

HOW DO I USE A JETBIKE!! i have gone into like 6 games and its not in the wheel WTF ur starting to piss me off lightbox -_-

+ Goxman55 on March 10th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

Hey, light box I just wanted to throw some suggestions for the game, it has a lot of promise and I wanted to point this out. Some more human mechanics like grabbing to ledges, some more detail to the ground because on acid there is some kind of alien growing roots and there just texture more depth to the environment. The other is probably you guys already fixed but I’ve collided with a lot of players and scraped my mech jet just damage to collision when in jet mode. And last a customizer loader best (pronunciation) for multiplayer for customizing a vehicle when you load it up (in the garage or mech hanger , order it show up but with a design and weapon features that’s in the multiplayer menu making it your own. If it’s too late its cool can’t wait to buy!

PAGE 1 2