Minecraft PS4

PlayStation Plus April Preview: Free Shank 2 and Shift 2 Unleashed, Ghost Recon Future Soldier Beta

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Mar 26, 2012 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

This April, we’re preparing some great offers for PlayStation Plus that will make you think twice about going outside. For starters, we’re happy to announce the free games coming in April to Plus: PSN Game Shank 2 and PS3 Full Game Shift 2 Unleashed! You’ll be able to get these titles free in Plus starting on April 3rd and throughout the month of April. In addition, we’ve also got more free content including PSone Classic Silent Hill, PS minis Cananbalt, Farm Frenzy 2 and Mystic Garden, as well as PSN Game Frogger Returns.

PlayStation Plus

Free games aren’t the only benefit to Plus. Last month saw the exclusive early access to the much-anticipated PSN game Journey. This month, you’ll be the first to try out Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier Beta!

Hefty discounts on the games you care about are always a part of Plus, and April will bring more discounts on content you love. New releases Wheels of Destruction, House of the Dead 4, and the debut of the standalone Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City will all have discounts the day they’re available to download from PlayStation Store!

PlayStation Plus

You’ll also want to check out sweet free Avatars from the PS Vita hit Escape Plan, as well as PlayStation Plus exclusive avatars and themes for The House of the Dead and Devil May Cry.

There’s more to come in April that we can’t quite talk about yet, but rest assured we’ll bring you more news throughout the month on more great Plus content. If you haven’t seen all that Plus has to offer for yourself, you can go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 and head to the PlayStation Plus section, or click here to purchase a voucher code online that will be emailed instantly to you to redeem in the PlayStation Store.

Some content and/or release dates outlined may change including the addition or removal of content. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, or continue the discussion on the PlayStation Community forums in the Official PlayStation Plus Update thread.

PlayStation Plus

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Click here to purchase your subscription today!

Exclusives: The House of the Dead 4 Demo – 4/10
Escape Plan Triangle Avatar – 4/3
Escape Plan Laarg Avatar – 4/3
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4 GOLDMAN AVATAR – 4/17
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4 JAMES AVATAR – 4/17
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4 KATE AVATAR – 4/17
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4 DYNAMIC THEME – 4/17
Discounts: GRAND THEFT AUTO IV EPISODES FROM LIBERTY CITY – 4/10 (PS Plus Price: $11.99)
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4 – 4/17 (PS Plus Price: $6.99)
Disney Universe – 4/24 – (PS Plus Price: TBD – 50% off Store Price)
Exclusive Discounted Avatar Bundles: Devil May Cry Avatar Bundle- 4/3 (PS Plus Price: $0.99)
Devil May Cry 2 Avatar Bundle – 4/3 (PS Plus Price: $0.99)
Devil May Cry 3 Avatar Bundle – 4/3 (PS Plus Price: $0.99)

+ FE_RR on March 26th, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

any chance of “megaman 8, x4, x5, x6″ PS one classics showing up on the store anytime??

+ CaptainJeff87 on March 26th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

Damn. Now I wish I would of waited a big longer for Shank 2. Knew PS+ would of gotten a discount or something. Ah well.

But Frogger Returns? That game is baaaaad. Eh I guess all months can’t be winners right?

+ JaY_Ci_415 on March 26th, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

Wow now that’s what’s up. Great update. Been wanting to play Shank 2…

+ xBURROx on March 26th, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

and the Resident Evil :Operation Raccon City avatars? when those avatars are gonna be launched? Eu has the avatars since December

+ ReDai316 on March 26th, 2012 at 4:10 pm said:

I hope this is an early April Fool’s joke. Shank 2 as a free download? Their other game “Mark of the Ninja” won’t even be coming to PS3 so I won’t even bother playing their other games like Shank or Shank 2 even if they were free.

Besides, I thought the DUST 514 beta was supposed to open up to people in April. I’m much more interested in that beta than a game where Ubisoft won’t even focus on the PS3 version. I mean apparently it’s using the same engine as Splinter Cell: Conviction (another game PS3 didn’t get) on top of them removing (or not adding) matchmaking for their co-op modes. It even has less online modes than Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. I’m done supporting Ubisoft’s games too.

+ BlackDeadKRV on March 26th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

hell yh…!!!

+ Vortuminius on March 26th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

I seriously dare anyone (that can use PS+) that PS+ is a bad deal. I freaking dare you.

+ Dayed on March 26th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

great month of content cant wait to play silent hill

+ lisatsunami on March 26th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

@40, TwinDad: I think there’s an easy workaround. Just create another acct, say TwinMom, & purchase games under that name. You can still play the game under your main acct.

To the person who complained about having to sign in evert time: I think that’s a browser issue. I haven’t had to logon to this iPadd in several days. Same for my Mac. However, I messed with my browser settings on my other iPadd & have to login every frakin time.

+ Matrix_Lion on March 26th, 2012 at 5:10 pm said:

Silent Hill it’s been a long time since I played you. Thank you Sony for bringing this game to PSN.

+ namDa65 on March 26th, 2012 at 5:15 pm said:

what up with spring fever? No franchise sale this week? :(. Want to throw more moneys at you!

+ JetPiIot on March 26th, 2012 at 5:21 pm said:

Are we going to ever get some Vita goods or discounts with our PS+ membership?

+ DelMurice on March 26th, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

Nice! Makes up for the rather dry 3-27 for plus members. Shank 2, so soon after it’s released!

+ Sneeches on March 26th, 2012 at 5:50 pm said:

OMG my plus just ran out a few weeks ago, guess its time to renew, this month looks sick… and its my birthday in april (11th) so this is the icing on the cake :)

Thanks playstation!!!!!

+ Marcellino on March 26th, 2012 at 5:52 pm said:

I’m a big fan of PS Plus, but making Shank 2 free so soon after its launch is kinda a “low-blow” to all the Plus subscribers who paid for it, don’tcha think? It definitely affects my willingness to spend money on the PS Store when I’m not certain if I’ll be offered those things for free later down the line…

+ lebronjc on March 26th, 2012 at 5:58 pm said:

SWEEEEEET!!!

+ KILLSON13 on March 26th, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

This has been a great update for PS+ subs but i hope to have some more Vita discounts or free games in the coming months

+ wcoastsands on March 26th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

I’ve been really impressed by the free games offered up lately. Surprised to see PS3 full games like Shift 2 Unleashed and Far Cry 2 making the list. Very cool :-) Thanks!

+ remanutd5 on March 26th, 2012 at 6:12 pm said:

Escape Plan avatars yessss!!!!!! how about more ps vita goodies ? how about little deviants for free? resistance burning skies early demo access? how about a monthly free movie rental from the video side of the store?

+ TMAZT3R on March 26th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

This is what I was waiting for, now I can definitely look forward to finally purchasing playstation plus, way to go sony.

+ saab01 on March 26th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

Can someone answer this question for me. So i rented Shift 2 unleashed before and it installed 3 GB of data. So now if i download the digital copy of the game i would delete the disc game install right? But I will stay gain more trophies and the old save that i have will still work with the digital copy right???

+ Shadow_Kamui on March 26th, 2012 at 6:58 pm said:

I knew playstation what to give a birthday present ^.^ (April 02) I am really looking forward to this I was thinking on buying shanks 2 and I cant believe silent hill is going to be give away.

The only think left is something for my vita the psone classic compatibility will do it since I will have silent hill or something else.

April is always the best month of the year all the good thinks happen on this month even the best pranks xD

+ MR_DARKNESSBR on March 26th, 2012 at 7:00 pm said:

Awesome!!!

+ QuantumMercury on March 26th, 2012 at 7:27 pm said:

Actually a fantastic update!

+ Souledge94 on March 26th, 2012 at 8:02 pm said:

god I love being a PS+ member.

+ SHINOBI_3 on March 26th, 2012 at 8:13 pm said:

Wow, Shank 2 free, Silent Hill free, Frogger Returns free, free House of the dead 4 demo, theme, avatars, and 30% off the full game. April is awesome already. Most excited for HotD4, since i can never beat the first boss at the arcades.

+ Kid_Grim on March 26th, 2012 at 8:49 pm said:

I was so reluctant to get ps plus, but last month I did and I will never let it go. The discounts alone pay for it, then you add the free games and early access and you have the complete package. Shank 2 is top of my list and ghost recon i hope is great considering I’ve already pre ordered it.

+ thrasher_64_99 on March 26th, 2012 at 9:06 pm said:

Good thing I renewed my ps plus membership lol

+ Mister-Nep on March 26th, 2012 at 9:09 pm said:

Cool content. Makes for a good birthday gift (April 8).

+ burnlife308 on March 26th, 2012 at 9:16 pm said:

Amazing month yet again the thing I dont get is Febuary and April are so full of content and All Igot from March is a remade 20 year old game and a remade ps2 game but I do like SLY and easiest platnium ever. The March Plus blog came out March 6th or 5th the same day as store update and PS plus members dont get a single thing this week so you tell us over a week earlier so we dont get questionable about a theme in the last 2 weeks. I think plus is great but try to even things out we got 7 games in in the first 2 weeks of Febuary and 2 games all of March

+ kirafung on March 26th, 2012 at 9:27 pm said:

Saints Row Third~ Great~

+ SilverShadow084 on March 26th, 2012 at 9:35 pm said:

Excuse me but why can I not find a PlayStation Move bundle in any local stores!? The only bundle I can find is one with the 320GB PS3! Is this thing considered a failure now?

+ TokiAGoGo on March 26th, 2012 at 9:47 pm said:

When are we going to get Resident Evil ORC avatars? EU already has them :(

+ ShadowNextGen on March 26th, 2012 at 10:01 pm said:

Great update guys. I know Vita just came out in the US/Europe but can we look forward to Vita titles becoming a part of these monthly lists? How about PS2 games? Maybe if they alternated…one month with a PS2 title, one month with a Vita title. Thanks!

+ Dessron on March 26th, 2012 at 11:01 pm said:

It would be awesome if we could have some free PSN trophies avatars (bronze, silver, gold and platinum trophies icons).

+ SD_SARG3 on March 26th, 2012 at 11:10 pm said:

This is a very nice update! I have to share this with all my followers at InNeR Gaming

+ Sevyne on March 27th, 2012 at 12:50 am said:

Why are people expecting Vita to be included in Plus perks already? It barely has anything for it right now since it’s been out not even for 6 weeks. Common sense people.

+ GT_168 on March 27th, 2012 at 1:28 am said:

Awesome Silent Hill, never ended up beating the first one. Now’s my chance! And my wife thinks the other games I play are scary, lol.

+ ArchAngelMai on March 27th, 2012 at 3:23 am said:

Amazing month, even though its hit or miss, you can never make everyone happy. I am still trying to catch op on lasts months freebies, especially with all the new games too. Almost have Platinum for MK2, then its on to Silent Hill 2 which is going to be insane to get. Looking forward to the other surprises and which 3 dynamic themes we get.

+ Klart on March 27th, 2012 at 4:37 am said:

WOW! Thats fantastic! I hope we get the same in Europe!

+ Klart on March 27th, 2012 at 4:46 am said:

Oh yeah: we want Plus for Vita!

+ chaserunner5 on March 27th, 2012 at 5:52 am said:

an epic Update for us Playstation Plus users cant wait for shank 2 and on game trials why does it say 424 on super street fighter 4 arcade editon xD lol you guys may have to fix that >_> what does it mean closed beta for tom clancys does it mean like the betas is down?

+ Onvertic on March 27th, 2012 at 5:52 am said:

I got the 2 GTA IV episodes but to play them I need to download the original game. With Episodes of Liberty City coming will they update the previous ones so that we can play them without downloading GTA 4?

+ chaserunner5 on March 27th, 2012 at 6:01 am said:

but why isnt Qore giving free stuff anymore i remember when there episodes gave us free stuff :D like games and packs :P what happend to that did they stop doing it or something that is my question

+ JonJonXD on March 27th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

This looks like it’ll be a great month!

+ KeefRiffards on March 27th, 2012 at 7:49 am said:

To Josh-Turner-Fan and everyone else asking about the Free Super Stardust Delta voucher for the Vita – The code is not send to you via a Playstation Network message. I received an e-mail (which is what the directions said would happen) about 25 days after I bought my first data pass. You did activate your 3G, right? And if you did, you went to the Network Operator and activated your free month coupon, right? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question, but you never know these days. Some people can’t read fine print. Assuming you did these things, it should be around one month from when you first bought your 3G coverage. I recieved my SSD code about the same time that my free month (month 2) kicked in. If you didn’t activate the 3G or use the DataPass coupon, you will not get the game. Sucks, but thats the catch, and after a few months of owning a Vita with 3G connection I can say that in my honest opinion it is worth picking up. Depends on how much you want Super Stardust and what you use your Vita for, and when. Hope this helped, if you are still interested and/or haven’t received the code yet! Good luck!

+ aussiebloke90 on March 27th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

Will the European/Au Store get the same offer? Shift 2 and Shank 2?

+ fjellgren on March 27th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

LOL Sony knows how to NOT please PS Plus members who also happen to be trophy hunters with these free games hahah.

+ WilburMonkey on March 27th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

You guys are Crazy! PS+ pays for itself (often several times over) every month!

+ candycabngfl on March 27th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

@ #121 saab01

Your saved game data and Trophies are saved in different locations than the game data and wont be effected bye downloading the digital version. Trophies are kept on PSN servers so re syncing will update them. So far every digital install I have done over a disc install has retained all DLC etc so its been completely seamless for me. Happy gaming !

Nice to see more full PS3 games being offered for free. Even low rated games like Shift 2 can make a nice diversion and still add some value to our PS+ experience :-) Being a day one PS+ subscriber the majority of the free games are either games I wouldn’t buy or I had already owned. but with PSN still lacking large amounts of content I think this is unavoidable. So far its been worth the money for me.