PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

MLB.TV is Ready for Opening Day 2012 on PlayStation Network

Brandon Stander's Avatar + Posted by Brandon Stander on Mar 27, 2012 // Director of Marketing, PlayStation Network

MLB.TV 10

Seems like we were just watching David Freese and the St. Louis Cardinals make a dramatic comeback to beat the Texas Rangers in 7 games to win the 2011 World Series. And now, here we are, standing in the on-deck circle of the 2012 season waiting to see who will step up and lead their teams into the playoffs and become this year’s World Series hero.

And, just in time for the opening series games between the Athletics and Mariners in Tokyo, all the Major League Baseball action can once again be watched with the new 2012 MLB.TV application for the PS3, now available on PSN.

Just like last season, the MLB.TV app gives you access to high-quality HD, live and archived games, home and away broadcasts, as well as an array of interactive features designed to take advantage of the PS3 system’s technical prowess. If you’re a MLB.TV Premium subscriber, you can access all available Spring Training games.

MLB.TV 4MLB.TV 3

You can view a walk through of the application highlights here and read more about what you’ll see with this year’s MLB.TV service below:

• High Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users HD video access depending on available bandwidth.
  • Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
  • Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed.
  • Live Broadcast DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward to return to live game action.
  • Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats.
  • Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
  • Season Archive – Watch games and relive great moments from earlier in the season.
  • Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
  • MLB Scoreboard – Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each day’s games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-moment game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
  • Favorite Team Selection – Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
  • Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2012 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite team’s schedule.

MLB.TV 9

You can download the application now from the “Media & Apps” category on PlayStation Store, and launch it from the TV/Video Services icon of the XMB. For the 2012 MLB season, MLB.TV Premium is available for a one-time fee of $124.99, and can be used on the PS3 system. New subscribers can go to ps3.com/mlbtv to sign up.

Play Ball!

25 Comments

+ PorkCrusher on March 27th, 2012 at 6:42 pm said:

Is this still United States and Canada only? Will this ever come to Australia?

+ JAMKOR on March 27th, 2012 at 6:53 pm said:

Please work with MLB to get rid of the local blackouts! I would pay $150 on a second if I could watch my beloved Twins! Blackouts make NO SENSE in this day and age!

+ WillPG1212 on March 27th, 2012 at 6:59 pm said:

@PorkCrusher

im in europe and this works fine.

i downloaded the APP from a US PSN account.. and then went on the MLB site to buy the subscription.

been using it for 2 years now with no problems.

+ Strathmore on March 27th, 2012 at 7:07 pm said:

Why can’t I watch MLB.TV on my Vita the way ANYONE can from their smartphone or tablet. And while we’re at it, why does the PS3 version of MLB.TV pale in comparison to the PC and more recently Xbox 360 with the utter lack of features?? LAME, SONY!

+ Still_Dreaming_ on March 27th, 2012 at 8:03 pm said:

It would be awesome if PS+ subscribers could somehow get like 1 free game a week without an MLB.TV subscription. I’d like to try out MLB.TV before I drop $125.00 especially since they use blackouts.

+ sneedo83 on March 27th, 2012 at 9:21 pm said:

Fortunately you can start by going month to month, it’s pretty cheap that way, and as the months progress they take money off of the entire subscription of course, it’s a good way to dip your toe in the water, they also offer a game a day for free.

+ polo155 on March 27th, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

i never subscribed to mlb tv untill it came to ps3 because im a sony/mlb fan hugely… i have auto renued every year since and i was billed almost a month now and have been enjoying the Spring Training Games for the last month…

I Sooooo wish Sony wold get the deal done to bing it to either remote play for Vita or a seperate app for vita…

+ polo155 on March 27th, 2012 at 9:32 pm said:

its very very exspensive being a Sony Fan boy lol

+ Train1999 on March 27th, 2012 at 10:23 pm said:

Hey I had an interesting question that I would like to bring up….
Well we see some Season Archive games from the 2010 and 2011 seasons? I know if you get NHL Gamecenter you can get games from a least the last two seasons. Just thought I’d ask before once you update the MLB.tv you can’t watch games from past seasons anymore. I would like to get an answer about this ASAP I will watch the MLB.TV on PS3 along with two other device which I will not say at this time. Thank you.

+ Eric-ND on March 28th, 2012 at 12:22 am said:

Please tell me MLB TV is coming to Vita. It would be the greatest thing on the planet.

+ Major_Hoare on March 28th, 2012 at 5:26 am said:

Misleading article title. Had me thinking that MLB.tv is coming to the Vita!!! Argh. MLB.TV + Vita is a match made in the field of dreams.

+ Major_Hoare on March 28th, 2012 at 5:29 am said:

@Still_Dreaming:

MLB.TV has been free for everyone during Father’s day weekend…you can check it out then.

+ Xanthene on March 28th, 2012 at 6:22 am said:

Have there been any improvements such as multi-game viewing that is available on the pc? have the servers been beefed up so it doesn’t crash constantly on opening day again?

+ SPECTRUX on March 28th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

Please add the extra features of the Xbox app to the PS3 app. At the very least, I would like to see picture-in-picture / split-screen and condensed games.

+ SalMoriarty on March 28th, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

I second JAMKOR’s (#2) statement above. I would do the same to lift the blackouts.

+ LilBru on March 28th, 2012 at 4:58 pm said:

This is nice, but what about Comcast Xfinity or HBO GO or Facebook..? Seriously man, I see all these awesome features and apps on XBOX 360 and not on PS3. Its very disappointing.. I don’t own XBOX 360 but hearing all these apps and other cool software features on its console just makes me eager to get it, but I won’t give in. I am still a very loyal PlayStation fan. I just don’t understand why SONY doesn’t give us what we ask. PS3 is a Computer Entertainment System after all. It should be packed with awesome software and apps. We need a MAJOR update.

+ Matrix_Lion on March 28th, 2012 at 5:35 pm said:

@16 my friend has a XBOX and PS3, but I only have a PS3. I know exactly what you are talking about. It makes no sense how far behind PS3 is behind XBOX. XBOX also has UFC and ESPN app. I just don’t understand how XBOX can get MLB.tv but Sony can’t get the other apps XBOX has. The PS4 will be out before Sony gets their act together. Sony I’m not going to jump ship, but get the UFC, HBO GO and ESPN app soon. I know people say PSN if free, but it’s still no excuse how much better XBOX live is.

+ JaY_Ci_415 on March 28th, 2012 at 5:57 pm said:

Already got it. Cant beat being able to watch any game whenever I want. Went half on it w/my bro so that’s like buying a new game but much better than $125 smackers at one time.

+ rjejr on March 29th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

Living in NY I should get a 6% discount on this. As was stated above – blackouts are a non-starter.

” I know people say PSN if free, but it’s still no excuse how much better XBOX live is.”

um, that’s probably exactly why the PS3 doesn’t have some of the Xbox apps. Well that and MS throws more money. Have you ever seen all the stuff Japan gets on their PS3? Like tv service and dvrs? I don’t know for sure, but I would bet the Japan Xbox360′s don’t get all the cool stuff there either.

+ Heatseeker125 on March 29th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

@19. Europe has the PS3 DV-R add-on too. It’s absolutely ridiculous that we don’t have it here. Even Australia has it. And Sony wonders why they are in 3rd place this generation when they used to be at the top.

+ LD_MyNinja on March 30th, 2012 at 2:21 am said:

Woah! This is hot. Is this free or do you have to pay to watch because I’m really hoping I don’t have to pay to watch.

+ Xanthene on March 31st, 2012 at 11:05 pm said:

Disappointing. Same lame interface as last year and no new features. I guess all the concentration was on Xbox. Rightfully so. I hope you do something drastic soon, PlayStation, because you’re losing me and you’re losing a lot of other people.

+ kcurlsjr on April 3rd, 2012 at 9:54 pm said:

I totally agree with 16 and 22. I was particularly excited when I watched previews of the MLB app on Xbox. Just downloaded the PS3 app was so disappointed to see the old interface and no split screen.

That coupled with HBO No GO makes for one jealous playstation owner :(

+ GoHomeOrDie on April 7th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Can someone tell me why they think the Xbox MLB App is better than the PS3 one?

I just got both this year… I had always bought MLB Extra Innings, but I saw my brother using the PS3 app last season, and was blow away by all the things it could do, like call up a timelime of the game picking specific events like hits, runs, etc.

When I use my Xbox app, all I can do is pause, FF, and REW.

What makes everyone say the 360 app is better? Or am I missing some menu thing on the Xbox to see all the features that I can see on the PS3??

+ GoHomeOrDie on April 7th, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

To build on my previous post, I am watching a Braves v. Mets game right now on the PS3.

I can use the L1 or R1 button to go to the next “Event.” This lets me automatically go to big plays, like hits, or scoring plays, etc.

If I open the options menu, I get the following:

1. Jump to Live
2. Game Stats
3. Select Inning
4. Select Feed
5. Select Audio
6. Event Filtering
7. Stop Video
8. Help

All I can do on the Xbox is Play, Rew, FF, go to live.

What am I missing that makes people say the Xbox version is better?!?