LittleBigPlanet 3

The Drop: Week of April 9th 2012 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Apr 08, 2012 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Leave your quarters at home or take them on the go when playing your favorite pinball machine for the zillionth time, or discover an acclaimed pinball classic for the first time, with The Pinball Arcade. Its also equipped with the added bonus of “Cross Purchase,” you can buy the PS Vita version and get the PS3 version for free, and vice versa.

The cast of long-awaited 2D fighter Skullgirls prepare to pummel PSN players, the Sour Patch Kids make their platformer debut in World Gone Sour, and match-3 goes free-to-play with Treasures of Montezuma Blitz for PS Vita.

Enjoy this week’s The Drop.

PlayStation Network

Skullgirls – Set in the Canopy Kingdom, Skullgirls tells the tale of eight female warriors as they fight to reclaim a wish-granting artifact known as the “Skull Heart” from the monstrous Skullgirl. As legend has it, every seven years this enigmatic Skull Heart grants a wish to a young woman… but this power can come at a terrible price. If her heart is impure, her wish will be twisted and she herself will be transformed into a Skullgirl.

Developed by newcomer Reverge Labs, Skullgirls is a fast-paced 2D fighting game. Starring a cast of feisty female warriors, Skullgirls is a multi-layered fighter featuring all-new game systems for veteran fighting game fans while also making the intimidating genre enjoyable and accessible to the casual gamer.

Sour Patch Kids: World Gone Sour – In Sour Patch Kids: World Gone Sour, gamers will take on the miniature role of a lost Sour Patch Kid, guiding the hero through the sticky floors of a movie theater, across the counter of a concession stand, and other unique and oversized environments.

Joining forces with fellow lost Sour Patch Kids, players will use a combination of jumps, twists and puzzle-solving to negotiate and overcome larger than life obstacles. Along the way, they will battle unusual candy enemies, escape from deranged humans, and face-off against bizarre creatures including one very angry wad of sticky chewing gum.

The Pinball Arcade (PSVita / PS3 Cross Purchase) – From the makers of Pinball Hall of Fame comes the ultimate pinball machine collection — step into The Pinball Arcade and you’ll have access to many of the all-time greatest tables from Williams, Bally, Stern Pinball, and Gottlieb! Players build their pinball collection by purchasing and downloading the tables they want to play, each powered by a realistic pinball simulation that re-creates pinball gameplay with accuracy and authenticity. Leave your quarters at home and just enjoy playing your favorite pinball machine for the zillionth time or discovering an acclaimed pinball classic for the first time.

Treasures of Montezuma Blitz (PS Vita) – Completely free for life to download and play! Treasures of Montezuma Blitz is a stunning shiny new puzzle game, using the featuring the unique abilities of PlayStation Vita System to deliver to you a fresh experience of the new-age fun! With both Front and Rear Touchscreens at your fingertips, there will be no limits to your speed, and Motion Sensor for gravity adds even more spice to the fast-paced rounds of the game.

PS3 Demos

• Sniper Elite v2

PlayStation 2 Classics

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES — Lead a group of high school students with a dangerous extracurricular activity: exploring the mysterious tower Tartarus and fighting the sinister Shadows during the Dark Hour, a frozen span of time imperceptible to all but a select few. However, the end of their quest is no longer the end of the story–witness for the first time the aftermath of the final battle and the students’ struggle to find meaning in their new lives.

A spin-off of the RPG Persona, Fes (or “Festival of Persona 3″) consists of Persona 3′s content along with 30 hours of additional gameplay. The new gameplay comes primarily in the form of the “Gojitsudan,” a story sequence that comes after the original’s ending, with new cinematic sequences in addition to the added gameplay. While the main storyline is the same, it’s been tuned up with new events. Gameplay has been updated as well, with a new “hard” setting (the original had just easy and normal), 23 new Personas, a weapon synthesis system and a system for changing your characters’ clothes.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

133 Comments

+ Alenth26 on April 8th, 2012 at 5:14 pm said:

I’m very excited about Skullgirls, a promising fighting game, i also love the persona 3 release.

+ Teflon02 on April 8th, 2012 at 5:15 pm said:

So don’t want to sound like a A hole but. Look at europe PS2 classics and look at ours. The game really worth playing is a game that has had a PSP version on the store forever, though at least people who only have PS3 can now play. I`ve been waiting for better Sonic Support on PS3 like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles PSN releases, and so on. When I heard Sonic Heroes was on the eur store I have ever since been praying for our release.
Where is Skype for PS Vita
Can you guys confirm the June 26 release of LittleBigPlanet Vita please here on the blog
next can the game get a real name by now please!!
And last will the Free Vita game have Trophies?

+ MEGA_MAN_X on April 8th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

Helllo Sony I would like expres what has me concerened and my other five close friends, and almost all of my playstation network friends own a Vita we are a little angry with you by the way you are working with the Vita, is too slow we still cant download from our Vitas playstation one games(any) and psp, only some, another thing that hanst been released yet are the aplications Skype, whats happening that skype isnt avaible to be downloaded yet, I hope that for this week is avaible and I would like to know why the other new aplications havent been anounced. Please speak with the Mozilla Firefox company so they develop a better browser for the Vita, or if not a Google Chrome, what we couldnt believe and astonished us was that the Vita doesnt have adobe flash player, and in internet you cant do almost anything without adobe flash player, we cant see videos from websites please in the next update add full support Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.63, and JavaScrippt belive me you will make me feel glad and all my friends.
remember the best promotion is a satisfied customer and a console (PS VITA) off is bad promotion

+ Traeia on April 8th, 2012 at 5:20 pm said:

Thanks for the update.

As always, I’d really like to be able to play my PSOne Classics on my Vita, and I eagerly await that update.

+ XFRod on April 8th, 2012 at 5:25 pm said:

@43 – Persona is a SMT title. Although, I get your point.

Persona 3, IMO is hands-down, the best RPG ever. However, would really like to see some of the other SMT, too.

Oh, yeah. To the guy that quoted SMT:DDS titles going for $100, each… I’ll save you $50 bucks and sell you both for $150…. Shoot, I’ll even throw in the sleeve that holds both boxes that came with the first release. lol… $100… Seriously?

+ gastonly on April 8th, 2012 at 5:28 pm said:

Skullgirls!!! Just wanted to say I’ve been waiting a very long time for it.

+ XxDG3K_ALL_DAYxX on April 8th, 2012 at 5:40 pm said:

ehhhhh nothing good except skullgirls. and sniperv2 demo…hopefully next week will be better

+ ABRipperXX on April 8th, 2012 at 5:50 pm said:

Persona 3 FES is my highlight this week, please Atlus bring on more PS2 Classics: Persona 4, Eternal Poison, Nocturne, Devil Summoner 2 : Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon…ect.

+ stu123 on April 8th, 2012 at 6:09 pm said:

The Vita puzzle game has a game currency it’s about 200 crystals for a 1 minute turn and you get 3000 crystals for about £2.50 about 4 dollars.So not exactly free to play although you do get some to start off with.

+ gdogg666 on April 8th, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

ok everyone i have to tell u as for psp games on the vita what sony had listed isnt exactly true there r games that r not on the first list that can work on the psv but u have to download the game through the ps3 google it to find out as for comments i think its cus ray got in trouble last time so yea he has to be careful on what he says also for all u vita complainers quit ur whining ok it could be alot lot worse

+ Sevyne on April 8th, 2012 at 6:25 pm said:

It could be a lot worse? What kind of defense is that? Our economy could be a lot worse too. Does that mean that that’s okay as well? Unbelievable.

+ Omii132 on April 8th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

What happend with the magic 2012 dlc?????? Help please!!!!

+ Squiggle55 on April 8th, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

I like this drop. Hopefully the FTP puzzle game can be enjoyed without ever buying anything in-game.

I have a question for all North American Playstation Plus Vita owners. Are your free PS+ minis working yet? I’m really trying to figure out if they’re still broken b/c it seems to me like maybe only Europe is saying that it’s fixed.

+ vinrac on April 8th, 2012 at 7:05 pm said:

im still waiting for the psp game medal of honor 2 for vita mod nation racers and when will skype come!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

+ shogun00 on April 8th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

The money is already in the wallet for Skullgirls and The Pinball Arcade. It’s going to be a busy download day for me.

+ WildForce67 on April 8th, 2012 at 7:22 pm said:

@36 WilliamFuchs420

I’m wondering the same thing.

+ Jimm_West on April 8th, 2012 at 7:27 pm said:

so were still waiting for apps like SKYPE!!! when are we going to get this sony?!?!?

+ InXplotch on April 8th, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

Did anyone notice that they used a really old version of the skullgirls logo in the article? It’s different now (though they do look similar)

And oh snap, Persona 3 FES? I’ve been wanting to play that game forever, so this is an awesome surprise.

now I have to hope they add Persona 4, and that persona 5 gets announced eventually.

+ Jimm_West on April 8th, 2012 at 7:30 pm said:

treasures of montezuma looks like a bootleg version of bejeweled

+ X_BROCKLEE_X on April 8th, 2012 at 7:31 pm said:

What’s going to be the size of the Pinball game?

+ Fedast on April 8th, 2012 at 7:36 pm said:

Finally!! A true PS2 classic!! Now it would be great to have Persona 4 and Final Fantasy X and XII.

+ La_maravich_22 on April 8th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

° Please enable html5 and flash player to the ps vita.
° Youtube Instagram and Skype app for the ps vita.
° Google Chrome web browser to the PS Vita.
° Cross chat platform between PS Vita and ps3 users.
° Organize the content of the PSN and add a sort list on the download list by year,month,genre.
° Show to the PS3 users when the PS Vita users are conected and enable the present data.
° Full integration of the PS Plus features for Ps Vita users enable cloud saving services and the other features like the PS3.
° Improve the Facebook app of the PS Vita.
° Release an avatar pack when the game comes out not 3 weeks laters.
° Fix the ps3 browser and make a partnership with Google or Mozilla to the next gen console. ° More PSN games to the vita and ports of great titles like Journey,Flower,Nba Jam, Castle Crasher, Magic Orbz, Pacman, Closure, Tetris, Modern Combat, ect ect.

+ La_maravich_22 on April 8th, 2012 at 8:08 pm said:

° Enable to send pictures from the PS Vita to the PS3.
° Buy Quantic Dream and ThatGameCompany.
° Please PS fans needs Kevin Butler again in the next E3 also Guerrilla Games with the new IP and the PS Vita version of Killzone , Naughty Dog with Last of Us, Santa Monica Studio with the secret project,Respawn Entretaiment with the new IP and The last Guardian.
° Sony needs to show Bioshock, Assassins Creeds, Monster Hunter,Phantasy Star online and Call of Duty for PS Vita.
° Sony needs more game for the PS Vita like Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Phantasy Star, Battlefield, God of War,Gran Turismo, Infamous, NBA 2K and a RPG like Skyrim.
° Price Drop of PS3 and Ps Vita
° A MMO for the PS Vita.
° The next console needs a universal party system for all the games.

+ La_maravich_22 on April 8th, 2012 at 8:10 pm said:

° Buy at least 2 studio for exclusive development of psn games.
° New PSN Interface for the next console.
° A lot of features for the PSN like Steam.
° Digital Games not at the same price of the disc games.
° Take ideas for the new console onlive services from Steam and make a subscription payment program like Xbox Live but no to expensive in $$$ terms.
° Make a Worldwide Certification Program to aprove the PSN content like avatars and themes.
° Release a Worldwide Official Playstation App for Android, IOS and the PS Vita.

+ sheik_ah on April 8th, 2012 at 8:29 pm said:

Haven’t commented in a while but I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw Persona. Seriously, this game is awesome. If I didn’t already own a copy for the ps2 I would buy this in an instant. You! Go out and play it!

Oh, and Sony! Please please please come out with Silent Hill 2 and 3 on ps2 classics (and 4). After playing the hd collection I want the originals. Please!

+ TooTall19 on April 8th, 2012 at 8:44 pm said:

Sniper Elite v2 is going to be an awesome demo!

+ ccrogers15 on April 8th, 2012 at 9:11 pm said:

WHERE IS OUR PSONE CLASSIC SUPPORT ON VITA???

+ ccrogers15 on April 8th, 2012 at 9:12 pm said:

Also i agree with Sheik_ah.

Us ps3 owners got ripped off with the HD collection of silent hill. Bring the ORIGINAL versions of SH2 and SH3 to PS2 classics. We cant play the collection due to the major lags, and konami wont admit theres a problem.

+ ccrogers15 on April 8th, 2012 at 9:13 pm said:

@ Jimm_West

Microsoft now owns skype. Its unlikely microsoft will let sony use it again.

+ ZHero0 on April 8th, 2012 at 10:05 pm said:

Please release GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas as a PS2 classic. I miss that game.

+ poisonedsodapop on April 8th, 2012 at 11:27 pm said:

Anyone who loves RPGs and hasn’t played P3 needs to either buy FES or P3P for PSP/Vita. It’s a must play.

+ Kchow23 on April 9th, 2012 at 1:33 am said:

Skullgirls alone makes the list a pretty good one, but not much else if you don’t like fighting games. Would love to see a PS Vita version of Skullgirls soon!!

+ Kchow23 on April 9th, 2012 at 1:36 am said:

@76 That is a ignorant way of thinking.. just cause you have competitors doesn’t mean that you don’t let them use your software or hardware… Why is there Skype or MSN in iOS devices? The whole “console war” is old news.

+ randyphx on April 9th, 2012 at 1:56 am said:

Where is Skype? Even my other PSP’s have Skype but not my 3G Vita, what’s going on Sony?

+ Kchow23 on April 9th, 2012 at 2:02 am said:

Rather interesting that the image used for the Drop is of a character that isn’t in the game yet, but probably will be DLC. Hmmm…. :)

+ luvtoseek on April 9th, 2012 at 4:20 am said:

@ 58, Sevyne- I don’t know how to respond to that comment. Realistically, it could be worse/better. Like it or not, that’s up to you. Sony, or the US Treasury does NOT have unlimited funds/resources… it’s ABSURD to think they can fix/offer services as we want them. If anyone here thought PSP support would be 100% present upon the release of the Vita, you didn’t do your research. If you thought content can be rewritten from the iOS/Android/PC platforms toward the Vita in months, then you have NO IDEA how licensing or coding for a NEW platform works.

The only Vita users I envy are that of which have bought EVERY game & has finished it & are now seeking more content. But seriously, there aren’t many of those out there… The Vita had great launch titles & it gets better, be realistic about your opinions people.

+ luvtoseek on April 9th, 2012 at 4:20 am said:

@ 80, Kchow23- Haha, speaking of ignorance, re-read your post. It’s a BUSINESS. …& a console war is going on & will never end. Corporations are fighting for our $ every second; MS owns Skype, so if you were CEO of MS, will you be in a rush to release Skype to your competition?

Skype is not even on the Xbox 360. Now where do you think Steve Ballmer ordered the Skype team to direct all their resources to? Sony’s PS3/Vita or MS’s own console? The Vita may yet receive first, yet it takes time & resources.

+ Firebombster on April 9th, 2012 at 5:16 am said:

Persona 3… FES?!?!?!? Holy crap I never expected that! Too bad I’m poor, because I’d buy that in a second just for the added story.

+ Od1n757 on April 9th, 2012 at 5:21 am said:

finally a persona game thank you!

+ MI_Titan27 on April 9th, 2012 at 6:01 am said:

If its true that microsoft wont let sony use skype, why are the rumors that the next xbox is gonna have a blu-ray drive? Shouldnt sony block that too?

+ cammyj11 on April 9th, 2012 at 6:04 am said:

WOW!

+ TUSTIN1 on April 9th, 2012 at 6:10 am said:

@87 – Microsoft and Sony love $, they won’t block either, too much profit to be had. It’s especially true with Skype for the Vita since Microsoft doesn’t even have a competing hand held.

+ MI_Titan27 on April 9th, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

@10

lumines is an awesome vita game, way better quality then any phone game ive seen.

+ TerraAshura on April 9th, 2012 at 6:21 am said:

Holy cow, Persona 3. Now I don’t need to get myself a new PS2 and track the game down anymore!

+ MI_Titan27 on April 9th, 2012 at 6:24 am said:

@17

There was a demo announced for Skull Girls, it was in last weeks skull girls video preview

+ b00kthree on April 9th, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

I just read about the Sony layoffs. That’s quite a few. My sympathies to the team, and best wishes to any who end up getting cut.

+ Alucard-XII on April 9th, 2012 at 6:49 am said:

Contra Shattered Soldier please.

+ GrimmSeraph on April 9th, 2012 at 6:49 am said:

I don’t think I’ve ever logged in to comment on one of these ‘The Drop’ articles, but I feel like I absolutely must now.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for releasing Persona 3 FES. It’s arguably one of my favorite RPGs, and an all-around solid move for you guys.

If I could I’d buy ten copies of it to encourage you to release more Playstation Classics RPGs…

+ ripret1 on April 9th, 2012 at 7:02 am said:

So, what about simulview games?

+ Azn_Flavor on April 9th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

Free Vita stuff is always welcome here man. I love My vita and free stuff is definitely fun. I will get that puzzle game. Looks cool :D