PS4-Watch_Dogs

Meet the Winner of The Tester 3

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar + Posted by Kevin Furuichi on Apr 11, 2012 // Executive Producer, PlayStation Network

The Tester 3 was a whirlwind of a season. Today, we’ve got an interview with the winner. SPOILER ALERT if you haven’t watched the season finale yet, don’t read below….

After the most competitive season to date, a champion was finally crowned: Will Santiago, aka AkilleezMight!

Will prevailed through all the challenges this season, and became a leader of the gamers living in the PlayStation Loft along the way. From being covered in hissing cockroaches to leading his team through a brutal obstacle course, everything Will did, he did with a smile on his face.

You might have seen portions of his interview right after his victory as shown in the season finale. Here’s an extended version of those moments right after he won The Tester 3, with the adrenaline still pumping from winning the final challenge and the full extent of this amazing opportunity to work at Santa Monic Studio just starting to sink in. Please join me in congratulating Wilson Santiago as the winner of The Tester 3.

Additionally, we recently spoke to Will following the win, and he gave us his thoughts on being on the show, how tough it was competing against his fellow gamers, and much more. See below for the full Q&A session with Will, and feel free to leave your own questions for Will in the comments below!

PlayStation.Blog: How does it feel to be crowned the winner of The Tester 3?
Will Santiago: Honestly, the feeling is indescribable! I’m still in a state of disbelief over everything. I know I’ve got big shoes to fill and I will do everything in my power to represent the show and the PS family to the best of my abilities.

PSB: What were some of the most memorable moments for you during the show?
WS: I’ll never forget the first day. Stepping out of the van and into loft, and getting to meet everyone; It was all very surreal! I had the most fun with the Street Fighter X Tekken challenge. That day was by far the least stressful and we all really enjoyed ourselves during the performances. There were so many funny moments that happened each day, it’s kind of hard to keep track.

PSB: In stepping into your new role at Santa Monica Studio, what are you most excited about learning/experiencing?
WS: I absolutely cannot wait to dive into my new role. Being able to get the inside perspective of game design is a dream come true. It’s a privilege and an honor to learn from the best and work side by side with all the talented people at Santa Monica Studio. I’m going to walk in there with a blank slate, a humble heart, an open mind, and a drive to succeed!

PSB: How tough was the competition? Did you feel pretty confident that you would win?
WS: To say that the level of competition was fierce would be an understatement. My game plan was to stay focused and outshine my competitors. However, I soon found myself wanting to learn as much as I could from these 11 extraordinary people. They each possess very admirable qualities and taught me lessons about myself that I will carry for the rest of my life. Each challenge became more daunting than the last and everyone stepped up their level of intensity. They kept me on my A-game, so at no point did I feel like I had won the competition. It was extremely difficult to assert myself as a leader in the loft because I would easily follow any one of them.

PSB: Do you have any funny stories to share from living in the PlayStation Loft with the rest of the gamers?
WS: The extra scenes did a great job of showing a lot of the “shenanigans” that went on between us all. A couple of moments that stood out: The epic ‘Everybody Dance’ battles between SkyD1ddy and myself, Ninjanomyx & Egoraptor’s 2 hour thought provoking conversation, J-Tight’s earth-shattering snoring, RealityPales’ underhanded tactics in LBP 2, Asuukaa schooling me on the ins and outs of roller derby, and “4-syllable singing” with KrystiPryde!

PSB: How do your friends and family feel about you leaving to Santa Monica to join the Santa Monica Studio team?
WS: My loved ones mean the world to me. They’re my inspiration and my biggest supporters. While they are sad that I’m leaving Florida, they couldn’t be more proud of my achievements. I owe it to them to progress and succeed at whatever I do!

PSB: What advice would you give a competitor coming on the show? What are the keys to winning?
WS: Stay FOCUSED! It’s very easy to get overwhelmed by everything that happens around you. Let your dedication and heart speak for you. Even though it’s a competition, motivate and support your teammates. Keep your eye on the prize and no matter what, stay true to yourself.

+ AguilarX on April 11th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Respect…

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Kevin Furuichi on April 11th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

Complete.

+ Kchow23 on April 11th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Nice try at keeping people away from SPOILERS, but the winner’s name is in the title and so is a picture of him in the video before it starts :) Would be great to hear about him a few months down the road when he’s actually worked at Sony Santa Monica.

+ TwinDad on April 11th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

That’s bogus Mr. Hand.

Tester series ruined for those of us to like to wait until all episodes are available. How About “Interview with the Testers 3 winner” for a headline. Then enough generic text in the article to hide the winner so that only those that click to read the full article see the winners name.

Congratulations the winner is you.

+ TwinDad on April 11th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

I see you now fixed the title. Maybe a few more lines of text the keep the spolier down the list.

+ TMAZT3R on April 11th, 2012 at 12:26 pm said:

Congratulations I knew whom would win, now where is season four?

+ kirara2020 on April 11th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

Congratulations…..It was a close battle…But you win some and you lose some…Can’t wait for them to make season 4 of the tester…

+ MrGamerz123 on April 11th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

A Winner is You!

+ MrGamerz123 on April 11th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

How old do you have to be to be to qualify for a spot in the Tester?

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Kevin Furuichi on April 11th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

Past seasons required cast members to be at least 21 years old.

+ MrGamerz123 on April 11th, 2012 at 1:02 pm said:

whoops, typo. My bad : (

+ DarkOne_PR on April 11th, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

Its good to see a puertorrican representing the boricua gamer :)

+ aro52 on April 11th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

They also spoiled it right in their tweet linking to this article. I guess they expect everyone to watch each episode IMMEDIATELY.

+ Logan22 on April 11th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

3D Display!
Huh Huh Huh
3D Display!

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Kevin Furuichi on April 11th, 2012 at 1:59 pm said:

Thanks for watching the extra scenes from this season.

+ Saiyan-PS- on April 11th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

This season was just the best! I hope there’s gonna be a 4º season equal or even better! ^ ^

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Will Santiago on April 12th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

So far, every new season has been bigger than the last. I’ve no doubt that if Season 4 happens, it will continue that upward trend!

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 11th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

KUDOS 2 tha Winner!!! Ding! Ding! Ding! [Tester 3 Winner Trophy Unlocked!!] *BLING!* :P

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 11th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

Now… Use your new found powers and [make] Qriocity Services like Music Unlimited available in Puerto Rico!! Wot! Woot! :P

+ D-Squad3 on April 11th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

This was clearly rigged!!! JK

I mean he was definitely the most deserving to win this, he is like the complete package. He’s got charisma, leadership, knowledge, skills and the “Will”.

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 11th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

WS- What’s your MOS? :)

+ Zeer0id on April 11th, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

Congrats, Wilson! All the best at your awesome new gig.

+ Tchanku on April 11th, 2012 at 4:51 pm said:

I enjoyed this years tester, I would suggest making it 40 minutes in the future and showing more time in the house, gaming and chatting.

+ tacotaskforce on April 11th, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

This is the second time I’ve heard about this legendary game design talk between ego and ninja. I don’t suppose there’s any way you’d ever be able to release that?

+ texas_ride on April 11th, 2012 at 5:18 pm said:

i’m glad he won, from the show Will Santiago appears to be the type of person anyone would want as a co-worker, employee, or employer. having a “reality” personality that is all about respect and responsibility and doing the right thing made the show enjoyable and offered a great person to root for.

+ Nuurgle on April 11th, 2012 at 6:19 pm said:

You guys complaining about spoilers realize that the final episode came out last week, right? I think 8 days is a perfectly acceptable amount of time to wait before giving out the details and interviewing the guy who won. Congrats to Will (that’s apparently the best name to have if you want to win The Tester).

+ biggunner7 on April 11th, 2012 at 7:08 pm said:

AkilleezMight good job man

I think in the next Tester after every challenge they should have a video game challenge.

+ lisatsunami on April 11th, 2012 at 7:53 pm said:

The best person, and my personal pick, won. How often does that happen in real life? Not often enough, but this time it did.

Kevin, please give us occasional updates about the Tester winners, maybe let them say something on the blog sometimes?

Will, if you’re reading this post, you are awesome. I’ll look for your name in the credits of future Sony Santa Monica blockbusters. And thank you most of all for your military service. You men and women keep us free and safe and able to enjoy our gamer lives.

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Will Santiago on April 12th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

Thank you so much for your kind words and support! I will definitely do my best to keep everyone updated on my experience!

+ Spinout209 on April 11th, 2012 at 7:54 pm said:

Good work Akilleez! Like I said before, I would’ve been proud of any of the 3 of you winning, you all worked so hard!

+ PainOfSarrow on April 11th, 2012 at 8:16 pm said:

GLADE he won, this man is veryyyy mature and deserved it. he will accomplish big things with sony. keep it up bro.

+ ModestGeek on April 11th, 2012 at 10:26 pm said:

AkilleezMight, congratulations to you sir!!! Looking forward to the next big video game. Much love and respect to the other contestants as well. This, by far, was the best season to watch. Can’t wait until season four. YESSIR!!

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 11th, 2012 at 11:47 pm said:

nice

+ Nacho_Molina on April 12th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

His name is Wilson. Too latin to call him that way instead of Will?

+ Nhazul on April 12th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

I thought they canceled the show after EGORAPTOR departed. *slowly smiles*

+ boomstickbhg on April 12th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

This was the first season where the person I was rooting for at the start actually won :)

I’m glad to see (even if it’s just a text interview) that he continues to come across as a smart, decent, level-headed and indeed, worthy winner.

Of course now I wish we had another episode of the ‘extra’ content, sounds like we still missed out on a lot of silly fun times.

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Will Santiago on April 12th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

Indeed! There were a ton of great moments that weren’t shown. With SkyD1ddy & Egoraptor in the house, how could there not be?! They kept the mood light even under the most stressful of times.

+ chaindrive30 on April 12th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Congrats to you sir!!

Kevin Furuichi's Avatar

+ Will Santiago on April 12th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Wow! I can’t express how grateful I am to have received such a positive response from you all! It’s truly appreciated & you all have helped make this experience better than I could’ve imagined!

+ boomstickbhg on April 12th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

Considering how often video game related message boards end up full of arguements over all kinds of little things, I think it means/shows something that, as far as I’ve seen, everyone who’s posting is happy about who won. :)

Good luck with your new career, I’m glad to know that you’ll be working hard to make sure the games you get to participate in are top notch.

+ Zeplas on April 12th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

youknow

+ theultimatenub on April 12th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

Yes, definitely loved his enthusiasm and hard work, which is why I believed he earned his job at Sony Santa Monica which is also happens to be my favorite game studio.

+ HerkDawgIII on April 12th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

Great Job, Mr. Santiago!! I was rooting for you too. Curiously, who was the best gamer out the crew? Was D1ddy a fighting game guru? Was Ninja a driving game beast? Everybody seemed to bring something that gave them an advantage. What’s YOUR forte? You brought your military experience and class. Well done!

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 12th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

Mr. Santiago, you did an amazing job throughout the competitions.
Thinking back over the whole season, you may not have always been the one right out front, but you were always focused, and when a challenge required team effort, you were always there to help those around you.
When we got down to just you, RP and KP, I pretty much knew you would win it, and was very happy to see you get the job in the end. While the final three were all worthy competitors, you had shown time and again that you truly had what it would take to be not just a QA Tester, but an accomplished Production Assistant.
Congratulations on your win and your new job and car, and I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts on my PS3. :)

+ Jackal888 on April 12th, 2012 at 3:28 pm said:

Will, you and SkyD1ddy were my favorites on the show. I am glad you won. Remember your weaknesses only through them will you grow stronger. @Jeff SkyD1ddy should get a job on PSBlog or PSN doing interviews he is hilarious.

+ XFRod on April 12th, 2012 at 4:15 pm said:

Well, I enjoyed this season and, was truly glad to see Will win it. I hope they go ahead and follow up with another season. Of course, being a gamer in a wheelchair, I won’t have to bother with even applying for the show. So, I can just sit back and watch all the fun.

/end passive aggressive rant

+ killercroc119 on April 12th, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

He kept his cool and was mature about every situation. He deserved to win for sure. I can only imagine that he will try his best at the company. Rock on man.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on April 12th, 2012 at 5:15 pm said:

Akilleez!!! Funny, at first I didn’t recognize the “new guy” on the ps blog, then I looked closer at the avatar and noticed it was the winner himself lol :) Great surprise!!! I don’t do it often because my browser sucks but I had to log in and say something.. Just wanted to say that after watching the first 2-3 shows I was rooting for you because of how you carried yourself. You SHOWED that there is no need to bring others down or to blame others or to cheat others to get ahead in life, the way to get ahead is to push YOURSELF, and to be the best you can + to HELP others. It was so great to see someone like you on the show. I say that because I think those traits are IMPORTANT, not just in the military but in life and even in online gaming… and I hope many people learn (as I did) from watching you.

You’re a great inspiration. I’ve never been in the military but the RESPECT for the TEAM and EVERYONE.. is something I always wish I could find more of when I play games online, or any competitive+cooperative sport / activity / job… Congrats on the job at one of the best studios in the gaming industry :) I would write more but there is a character limit here!! Keep in touch!

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on April 12th, 2012 at 6:46 pm said:

Congratulations! Speaking of SSM Studios, God of War 3′s difficulty level was quite a bit rough for casual gamers.. The difficulty levels are a bit off. Maybe you can use your achilles powers to convince them to make reasonable changes and additions to the game. I was rather pissed when I bought the extra costumes just to find out I couldn’t use them to get trophies. Sure fire way to convince me not to do another playthrough or more.

+ HWGuy14 on April 12th, 2012 at 8:16 pm said:

When I first saw him, I was like oh wow dont tell me they got a wanna be tough guy on this show. Bad first impression… then he began to be my fav along with skydiddy… At the end I cheered him on and am very proud he won. Contratulations!

+ vexed_shadow on April 13th, 2012 at 7:40 am said:

I’m glad he got the spot. You worked hard! Keep it up, and keep us updated!!!

+ MikeyJMN on April 13th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

He’s A Beast Plain and Simple !! good luck to him !!!

+ poisonedsodapop on April 13th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

“SPOILER ALERT if you haven’t watched the season finale yet, don’t read below….” But the name is in the URL lol.

Good luck to you Will. I think Season 3 was one of the fiercest competitions yet. I hope you get to follow your dreams.

+ Soliduss_hun on April 14th, 2012 at 12:25 am said:

I love the show. Keep it coming sony, and god bless the region free store. Greeting fron Hungary. Congrat Will .