Bloodborne

PlayStation Network Scheduled Maintenance Tomorrow

Matthew Harper's Avatar + Posted by Matthew Harper on Apr 15, 2012 // Sr. Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Update
The maintenance is now completed.

PlayStation Nation!

My name is Matthew Harper, and I’m part of the recently-formed PlayStation Digital Platforms Community Management team. Our mission is to keep you better informed about everything that is going on in the wide world of the PlayStation Network, to make your voice heard within the company, and to ensure that you, the gamer, are at the heart of every development across PSN. Together, we will help guide the future of this platform.

I’m here today to let you know that we will be performing routine scheduled maintenance on the network on Monday, April 16th, starting at approximately 6:00 am PDT / 9:00 am EDT. This maintenance will last roughly 13 hours, concluding around 7:00pm PDT / 10:00 pm EDT. During much of this time, users won’t be able to access the PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home, Account Management or play online. PSN enabled websites will not be able to service users, including this one.

We will continue to provide as much information as we can regarding any future maintenance we need to schedule.

Keep your eyes on the PlayStation Twitter feed for a notice when PSN is fully back online. We look forward to gaming with you all when the maintenance is finished on Monday night.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6

+ bretski1984 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:28 am said:

Hi Matthew. Can Sony bring back more old games like the Sega series wonder boy in monster world?

+ horus299 on April 16th, 2012 at 4:29 am said:

Are we going to be able to play the mass effect 3 op.

+ horus299 on April 16th, 2012 at 4:39 am said:

To many people here are fools. Crying and threatening to get a xbox. Do you people know how big their network is. No but you sit there and cry. It takes time to work on any type of server. The big the time it takes. If you want a xbox bye and thank you for leaving

+ Gekidami on April 16th, 2012 at 4:59 am said:

So when will Vita be put on the network? I’m guessing this maintenance still wont allow PS3 users to see Vita users online on their friends list and have video & text chat (no messages, that works, but actual chat) between the platforms. Also Vita trophies, when will they be viewable from a PS3 and be visible on the PlayStation site? Its ridiculous that this stuff wasnt in place form the Vitas launch and even more so that it STILL isnt in place now, 2 months later.

+ Shadow_Dancer on April 16th, 2012 at 5:18 am said:

Hi Mathew
I would really start to see some updates on the Vita. Specifically some of the features that many people havae already asked for:

– Update the browser to support HTML5/Flash
– More Apps! Alot more (Youtube)
– Ability to take screenshots of videos. (Not a priority but it would be good)
– Dynamic themes.
– More games. Where are they!? Why isn’t there more touch screen enabled games? Get the mobile phone developers involved in making improved versions of games we see on phones. e.g an Angry Birds specifically designed to take advantage of the Vita. Not just a port but a game that gives them a much better experience.
– Someone said add Party, Friends, Group Messaging etc to one App. That makes sense

+ Redspyda24 on April 16th, 2012 at 5:24 am said:

wow right on my b-day

+ coldnights13 on April 16th, 2012 at 5:37 am said:

Some of you guys are absolutely ridiculous with the complaining. Play some Uncharted, which myself, just started and must say is amazing. But really, play some single player, go outside.

+ CrueHead871 on April 16th, 2012 at 5:45 am said:

I understand that maintenance has to be done, but this is ridiculous. 13 hours?!! I mean seriously, no lie anyone spits out is going to convince me that in this day and age this couldn’t have been done in a rolling time zone wave, hitting a new time zone each hour and being done throughout the night hours, starting at 1 or 2 am and finishing at 2 or 3 pm would probably apease most of us who are inconvenienced and irritated by this. And to those who wanna say play single player or get a life…. I bought my PS3 to play online, playing alone is boring. 95% of the time I’m playing Rock Band or Battlefield 3, obvious multiplayer games. And this is my life. I can’t afford to go anywhere or do anything exciting these days, so I play playstion. Very sad, but true. Thanks sony, this was my 1 day off this week.

+ Karma-Pudding on April 16th, 2012 at 5:52 am said:

Guess it’s better than a Saturday….

+ lauchlin on April 16th, 2012 at 5:55 am said:

Absurd. You need to take some time and learn how to reduce your offline time. Perhaps switch to backup, while you perform the maintenance on your primary??? 13 hours is just obscene and there are ways to minimize this, that you obviously refuse to look into. All you’re doing is making me less likely to spend any money at all on your PSN content.

+ Marilyn-Kira on April 16th, 2012 at 5:57 am said:

I appreciate the fact that you are informing us about the time of the maintenance therefore you should tell us what this maintenance is for so we can know what to expect and be more understanding

+ KingRawle68 on April 16th, 2012 at 6:07 am said:

Ok seriously, I love my $249.99+tax SONY PS3 which I bought for FREE ONLINE GAMING, you aren’t doing us a favor by having PSN for FREE It’s included in the store price WE PAID and the extra $$$ we spend on games and download content from YOU.

Now to what really makes me angry, having a “scheduled maintainance” in which the ENTIRE SONY COMPANY Is SHUT DOWN? On the box it never said anything about that, or in the manual. Or did that happen only after YOU GOT HACKED?!

WHICH BY THE WAY GUYS, THIS TIME LAST YEAR WHERE WERE WE? ALL ON BLOG BECAUSE IT WAS THE AROUND THE SAME TIME THAT PSN AND SONY GOT HACKED, SO MAYBE THEY ARE A LITTLE SCARED..?

This guy starts a blog saying he’s here to help us and fill us in and then says NOTHING because he KNOWS NOTHING so why was the COMMUNICATION TEAM even created?

Come on guys……… Sony can be better than this don’t let people start buying Xbox or Nintendo in 2012/2013

+ KingRawle68 on April 16th, 2012 at 6:52 am said:

BORED….. BLOG WORKS I’M SIGNED IN ON MY PHONE AND MY PLAYSTATION 3 IS STILL SIGNED ON PSN I HAVE 3 FRIENDS ONLINE RIGHT NOW LOL

+ tj_boi on April 16th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

Odd, PSN is still on at 2:30PM … Is it already done? or did y’all just didn’t do it? Can we expect an update soon? a little confused

+ CaptainJames99 on April 16th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Whats most idiotic about this situation is the company claims to be “keeping channels of communication open” with its customers after hiring yet another pointless lackey and yet resorting to the same foolish tactics of posting “notice” a few minutes heading out the door with a few nonsensical replies that mean nothing. Leaving the responses to a handful of smarmy 12 year olds. All the while claming the “maintenance” is “regularly scheduled” when its painfully clear that nothing could be farther from the truth. Whats also abudantly clear that a year after the month long outage started the network is still performing worse than its pre-outage state. Random disconnects and unacceptable latencey have increased exponentially.

+ CaptainJames99 on April 16th, 2012 at 12:09 pm said:

On top of the inadequate server and upstream capcity there are NO redundant backups in placed as evidenced by the entire network being out of service every time “maintenance” occurs. No other major online service, and even the majority of smaller services operates in such an unprofessional cheapa*s manner. You don’t see search engines, major news sites, youtube, e-commerce sites going down worldwide for a full day in prime operating hours. It just doesn’t happen. Others have told this company to step up their game. If they won’t then they’ll be out of the game sooner rather than later.

+ leec15 on April 16th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

I would like to know if sony is working on anything to do with “parties” as known on xbox, for getting together with your friends without having to play the same game. That would be very nice.

+ yeatoast99 on April 16th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

could you tell us what the update will include?

+ deadndirtydotcom on April 16th, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

Most of your are ridiculous. Complaining about maintenance on a FREE service is beyond moronic.

+ ChancesGiven on April 16th, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

It would seem to me that there is a story to sell, beyond your its a maitnense scheme. Please….dont just sit there!

Tell us what your problems are! To think we would spend our hard earned three hundred and not care?!

This whole idea that we are not good enough to help you make us better quallity everything is proposterous!

+ SkyShadowNinja91 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:05 pm said:

hey what do you know i was able to sign in. where is the maintenance at?

+ x_hunter00 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

I don’t understand why a lot of people want to know what the maintenance is for? Who cares! It’s down for maintenance and that’s all you really need to know. Mr. Harper can’t go into the technical details because it might expose trade secrets or things of a similar nature. As for the timing of the of these “shutdowns”, I fully understand Mr. Harper”s reason. It is a global service that as a result makes it impossible to find a time that everyone in the world would find to be appropriate. Come on people, stop complaining about something that is done in order to continue to provide us a service that we all enjoy.

Mr. Harper keep up the good work. :D

P.S. Is there any way that SONY can offer avatars from music bands?

+ ChancesGiven on April 16th, 2012 at 3:09 pm said:

SONY! Expand your business towards people who are true to you!

You sit and market to everyone and leave yourself so open to intrusion.

Why not just sell a piece of your business, and demand that the buyer adhere to your demands….

If i had the option to support you in such a way, i would feel better about Sony, and not someone else who could use hack or just take advantage of you!

Or how about these people who call themselves companies and ship out such foul things they call games?!

When will my three hundred ever let them know I just want games. Not some story made by silly people who were hired to make this PS user believe!

+ DoTheKiller91 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

Look at all the noobs QQ

+ ChancesGiven on April 16th, 2012 at 3:23 pm said:

Maintaine this network please.

ATTACK ATTACK!

Ive givin you fourty american. Attack them! Destroy their Audacity!!!!!!!

+ CaptainJames99 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

The only thing beyond stupid here are the flaming morons defending the companys highly unethical business practices while calling paying customers heretics for having the temerity to expect the service we all pay for to actually work as advertised. Oh the horror!! and yes before more winey 12 year olds show up to scream we do pay for this service. We pay with the products we purchase along with the software we run on it. Sony is not a charity its a for profit corporation. One that is failing at its mandate. Thats the sole reason the company is losing money not those of us who refuse to worship the corporate cult.

+ CaptainJames99 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:32 pm said:

ChancesGiven, I do see what your saying. And I see the irony of the 1 year anniversary of the outage coming this week.

+ horus299 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

There is two ways to work on servers fast and wrong. Slow and right. Anyone with half a mind know that’s why the xbox is the way it is

+ lisatsunami on April 16th, 2012 at 3:43 pm said:

Hello, non-English speaking PS gamers. It’s nice that you visit us on the American blog but, honestly, I can’t make any sense of your mangling of written English. Please get an app that will Improve your ability to communicate on the blog. Unless you don’t want us to understand you.

And for the many of you who are English-speaking and still write like cr*p, study more, game less. Use these frequent, long outages to raise your abilities to an 8th grade level, at least.

And yes, what happened to the maintenance? Far as I can tell, only the store was offline.

+ ah-all-day on April 16th, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

Yea, this would happen on my only day off this week… Way to drop the ball people, your timing couldn’t get any better than this. I bet the maintenance has nothing to do with giving the consumer (us) anything better to work with. Basically, I bet the changes that are being made has little or nothing to do with making the PS better… We won’t notice anything different or the changes from this loss of a whole day…

+ thanatos144 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

is it still down? I want to move Soulreaver to my psp

+ CaptainJames99 on April 16th, 2012 at 3:53 pm said:

Account management and home were also offline. I dont use the 1st very often rarely the second. Both home and online gaming are excessively bug ridden with network latency making them barely usable. I did find a single online player in borderlands. Also having seen 2 people on my list able to log in today compared to 10+ even in the middle of the night indicates there are many who can’t get on. Anyone reading this can mark my words on this one thing for certain. When PSN is back to “normal” nothing will change. It’ll be the same second rate laggy service it always has been as evidenced as all the previous day long “maintenance” periods which have achieved exactly nothing.

+ jayhau on April 16th, 2012 at 4:08 pm said:

let’s hope things all users want will get fixed :P

Personally i hope we can better manage our trophies

and that we could participate in weekly events (MASS EFFECT!)

+ XxJOE34xX on April 16th, 2012 at 4:09 pm said:

Hopefully the update allows the ps vita to play ps3 games… thats kinda why i bought the vita. Now its just sitting in a drawer getting dusty… anyways, i was wondering about black ops 2. I think they should include zombies
again i have lots of ideas for the zombie mode if they make it or even if they make a black ops 2. Yeah i know this isnt about the maintenance issue but i thought i would include it.

+ SoFiE36 on April 16th, 2012 at 4:20 pm said:

Im Finding this akward cause im On PS3 and it says it suppose to be offline but yet i’m playing right now

+ BountyKing on April 16th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

I honestly hope some of the lagging problems get fixed. Especially on the psn store and, psh
(PlayStation Home). I rarely ever used psh, but lately I have been. When on Home the screen will sometimes freeze forcing me to cut off the power or hit reset. It seems like it’s gotten a lot worse the past few weeks.There is also lag whenever I try to type while having conversations. I’m not the only one experiencing this. Psh is still down for me atm. Hopefully when it’s up again…a few things will be improved.

Like a many others have stated already. It would be nice to know what exactly are the issues being tackled. Other wise how will we know what has or hasn’t been fixed?

+ XxJOE34xX on April 16th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

Sony should really start working on the vita. Its supposed to be a portable PlayStation not a hunk of plastic.
PlayStation home should be on the vita also it would be cool. The vita should be able to do everything the PlayStation does the same if not better. Sony should allow 3rd party developers. And streaming the game (if they allowed remote play) would be a joke they should make the game downloadable to your vita’s SD card so you can play it whenever wherever.

+ TJMVoyager on April 16th, 2012 at 4:39 pm said:

You know this is the 6th or 7th time that the PSN network has had a full day maintenance. This is a load of crap. Now I am not here to troll or bash Sony in anyway shape or form. But sence Jan, we have had 6 or 7 times of this and what makes this so different now then what it was then. Network still has issues, people still having network errors, you tell me Sony? Explan to us community as to why we have such long maintenance windows and yet we notice no improvements on the network itself.

Isn’t it amazing how everytime we ask Sony what is going on in these so called full day updates, they don’t know or don’t want to say to us community what is being done? Is their network so unstable that they need to take their servers completely offline for a full day?

I’d like to think Sony techs are working on something to improve their network, but have yet seen it. The question still bares in my mind, is Sony still to this day, being hacked? With that said, is the reason for taking thier servers offline for a full day, to keep them (hackers / flooder) from doing it.

I question Sony, and ask them to let us know that this isn’t that case.

+ xX_AK-47MAN_Xx on April 16th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

Hey Matthew,
Umm… after the maintenance was done i went online and i tried to go on PlayStation home but when it was almost done loading it just stop it didn’t freeze it stopped loading why is that?

+ Ninbi on April 16th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

I am not an avid Playstation player, but reading this post probably reminded me why. I only got a PS3 for Little Big Planet 1 & 2, so these down times aren’t as crucial to someone like me. However, I do find it strange that you plan on “giving the players more information”, but yet when someone asks the simple yet most important question of “What is the maintenance for?”, it is more than crystal clear by these comments that the question has been flat-out ignored multiple times. When any of my gaming sites are taken down, they give a quick reason as for why they are down, whether it be to “maintain the servers/fix server stability” or to “apply an update.” By giving a simple reason like this, it keeps us in the circle of what is going on. Without that small effort of communication to us the players, well…It just appears that no one cares about us.

+ XxJOE34xX on April 16th, 2012 at 4:48 pm said:

I think Matt went home

+ ShadowHogs14 on April 16th, 2012 at 4:52 pm said:

BLUExEYEDxSLICKT is a troll and he is just mad if this is the person i think it is than u need to shut ur mouth before we playstation fans get mad at you go play CrapBox 360.

+ kazumamitori on April 16th, 2012 at 4:56 pm said:

So yeah um.. everything is working except for home.. Why is that i wonder?

+ XxJOE34xX on April 16th, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

Maybe they r making it available for the vita…. but i am 78.34217% positive they aren’t.

+ kazumamitori on April 16th, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

Meh i just wanna get on to play some more Bootleggers =w=

+ BountyKing on April 16th, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

I mean it’s simple. Just let us know what exactly is being done. I don’t think anyone asking that is out of line. We have the right to know. All last week and last night too, people have been having issues signing in. Not only that, but I was online with a friend and she said it said I was offline when I was online. I’ve had that happen to me as well. People get booted off of psn and psh at random even if they have the best internet connection. Like wrote previously, I rarely used psh up until now. I go there to chat with a few friends for a bit. I’ll admit I didn’t even like psh at first, but it ain’t half bad if the lag and connection issues get worked out or at least don’t happen so often.

So, my question is. Are there going to be any improvements in the way psh functions for the psn community? Constantly getting booted off at random is a pain and the lag is just awful.

+ XxJOE34xX on April 16th, 2012 at 5:02 pm said:

I don’t think Matt is here lol or anyone from psn

+ kazumamitori on April 16th, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

This is some major bs….

+ XxJOE34xX on April 16th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

That used to happen to me it always said “lost connection with server” but its ok now. And yes the lag is horrible i think its becuase of all the ppl connected.

+ kazumamitori on April 16th, 2012 at 5:06 pm said:

Indeed that is what I think is the main source of the horrible lag in home

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6