Far Cry 4

Learn the Secrets of PSN’s Dyad

Shawn McGrath's Avatar + Posted by Shawn McGrath on Apr 18, 2012 // Creator, Dyad

Last week in New York City I was fortunate enough to show off Dyad, the almost-ready-done-really-soon-I-promise game coming to PSN for PS3. During our NYC showcase, the PlayStation.Blog crew was kind enough to stop by and conduct a quick Q&A and gameplay session, and you can watch the results in this new original video.

Each of the game’s 27 different levels touch upon a variety of mechanics and goals: forming long combos, racing, surviving as long as possible, hitting certain top speeds and more. And the game’s 26 special Trophy levels have challenging alternate goals, whether it’s playing just by using sound or collecting objects as quickly as possible. Since each level has a corresponding leaderboard to track online rankings, Dyad boasts a huge number of leaderboards — 52 in all, each requiring a unique set of skills to master.

I also wanted to mention that David Kanaga did the game’s interactive music. Here’s his Dyad EP, and you can hear more of his interactive music here.

I’ll be hanging around here all day, so after you watch the video, feel free to ask any questions in the comments and I’ll answer what I can!

+ MartiniGroove on April 18th, 2012 at 7:55 am said:

Looks awesome and something everyone can play (even the kids). I love finding ways to get the kids doing more music-related type games.

What were your influences? I see some shades of Rez in there.

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

Thanks! Rez was definitely huge, I’ve said before that without Rez I never would have been able to even conceive the idea for Dyad. I’d say that my influences are split pretty evenly between games, music, books and movies. On the game side: Internal Section, N2O, Torus Trooper, Tetris Attack, Everyday Shooter, David Kanaga’s other game: Proteus, (and countless others) have all been really inspiring.

+ butcherknife on April 18th, 2012 at 7:59 am said:

Any plans to bring this to the Vita?

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

Not as of right now. I’m so focused on finishing it that I’m not even thinking about anything else. I’ve been playing a lot of Vita lately and I love it, so it’s definitely something I’ll consider after it’s released.

+ Xer0Signal on April 18th, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

So pumped for this game. Sid’s face at 1:09 was pretty great.

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on April 18th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

8-O

+ atone1382 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

Lookin pretty sharp. Man I’m loving the growth of the digital domain. So many interesting titles popping up. I’m looking forward to learning more about this. Any plans perhaps for 3D in it? looks like it could be quite the visual experience.

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:32 am said:

No 3D unfortunately. I thought it’d be a good idea too, but I tried it and the way the sides of the tube work completely break the 3D effect and give instant headaches =( It seems like Dyad would be suited for it, but actually it’s probably the least-suitable game for 3D. Have you tried MLB: The Show in 3D? I loved the 3D usage there.

+ Tremulan777 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:18 am said:

Since there are 27 levels do you know if the they are short? And any discount for plus members? Thanks… So far I like how this game looks

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Some are very short, ~2 minutes, some are long, ~20 minutes.

There will be something for PlayStation Plus members, I just don’t know what yet =)

+ Samarotu on April 18th, 2012 at 8:20 am said:

These r the Games we need, nonmainstream, completely different & getting us out of conventional thinking.
I so do not know who this game will work, it looks like it has a crazycomplex Gameplay, but i´m already hooked.
Just like REZ, Child of Eden & every other Music Game i´v played, Dyad & SoundShapes are def. on my buying List.

I hope you r fullfilling my Expectations…If not the God of Music Games will bite your ***… ;)

+ EGMshane on April 18th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

I absolutely love this game… it is truly something special.

+ MI_Titan27 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Looks AWESOME!!, can’t wait to play this game. As far as release date how soon is soon?

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

I’m still working on it so I don’t know a date yet. But it’ll be out this summer.

+ saab01 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Hopefully we will see a demo for this game on PSN.

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

There will be a demo!

+ Tremulan777 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll be getting the game for sure

+ atone1382 on April 18th, 2012 at 8:45 am said:

Well alright thanks for the info Mr McGrath. I enjoy the 3D, but some games, like the AC Revelations it didn’t work too well and I enjoyed it more without the glasses. Dyad looks like it’s gonna light up my HD tv gloriously. I’m eager to give it a play.

+ station3fever on April 18th, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

This is what i’m talking about, a dev who is not scared to toss something different into the mix. Conrats on the game & i’m looking foward to this game. Will it have 2 player split screen or just single player? (it’s all cool)

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Shawn McGrath on April 18th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

It’s a single player game. The online ranking shows friend lists and is geared to be as competitive as possible which is where the multiplayer will be, but the experience itself is very much a solitary one.

+ Odrec on April 18th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

DAT beard.

+ PublicSudoku on April 18th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Did that guy die of a seizure?

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on April 18th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

I’m alive and well!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on April 18th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Man, PSN has just been killing it lately! Every time I put funds in my wallet I’m like, “This should last me a while”. Nope! I’m going to have to pick up a $50 card for this and everything else that’s coming out.

+ DarktaxFA on April 18th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

looks really hard to see whats happening kinda D;

+ TMAZT3R on April 18th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

I would be happy to support your game. Also a vita version would be sweet.

+ Logan22 on April 18th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

I recommend Child of Eden if you really want a mind-blowing 3D synthesis experience. I’m glad Shawn test drove 3D first before making a decision.

+ starscreamerx31 on April 18th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

i have a huge backlog of games i gotta play but because this is a psn exclusive and because its so different this is def a first day buy

+ butcherknife on April 18th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

It looks like this would be would be great on Vita. Based on what I have seen of Dyad, I will likely buy it and play it on the PS3, but I get the feeling that I would prefer to play it on the Vita with my headphones.

Kind of on a side note…I have notice that the Vita, to me, has become less a “portable” console and more of a “personal” console. It is nice to sit in my house with headphones on and just play a game for a bit…in my own little world.

+ Mattsta001 on April 18th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

Looks great, really trippy. These imaginative indies are the sort of games Sony should be getting more of on PSN.

+ Heavenly_king on April 18th, 2012 at 6:24 pm said:

THE RESISTANCE LINK IN THE FRONT PAGE IS BROKEN!!!!!

+ AgentX on April 18th, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

The game looks great! I look forward to playing it!

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on April 18th, 2012 at 8:56 pm said:

Finally, more music games. Sony might as well release a music production software for ps3. I don’t see why not. There would be people who would use it if it was good.

+ Oisterboy on April 19th, 2012 at 3:30 am said:

Cool :3 I’ll definitely pick this one up when it releases. A vita port would be cool too, but I see how this would be better on a bigger screen.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 19th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

looks super Boringgg, idk if this is appropriate in The Hood. maybe if im High ? ahaa

+ LANfreak1947 on April 19th, 2012 at 3:23 pm said:

Do you guys know anything about that upcoming game Soul Sacrifice?

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 20th, 2012 at 12:58 am said:

good

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 20th, 2012 at 1:09 am said:

wow!!!!!!! really good

+ madhukrishna9999 on April 20th, 2012 at 2:22 am said:

awesome!!!!

+ Dj-888_8 on April 20th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

ñ posso esperar por isso

+ Mega-Sackman on April 30th, 2012 at 5:02 pm said:

Haha call me an old man, but this is like Gyruss!!… an insane evolution of it.