God of War

Apr 22

Apr 22

The Drop: Week of April 23rd 2012 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

In Prototype 2, you are Sgt James Heller, husband to a deceased wife and child and a soldier left to die. In this week’s new PS3 game you’ll build a vast genetic arsenal of deadly new biological weapons and abilities and hunt your way towards the ultimate goal – destroying your maker Alex Mercer. Prepare for full-scale war with Battlefield 3, the third major evolution of the long-running online battle franchise, with the PS3 Full Game Download on PSN.

Two PSone classics return this week with Future Cop L.A.P.D and Darkstalkers 3. In the PS2 classic Red Faction, players find themselves in the middle of a rebellion on the hostile surface of Mars fighting for their freedom against the evil Ultor Corporation. Enjoy this week’s The Drop.

PlayStation 3

Prototype 2 — The sequel to Radical Entertainment’s best-selling open-world action game of 2009, Prototype 2 takes the unsurpassed carnage of the original Prototype and continues the experience of becoming the ultimate shape-shifting weapon. You are Sgt James Heller, husband to a deceased wife and child and a soldier left simply to die.

As the game’s all-new infected protagonist, players will experience Sgt James Heller cutting a bloody swathe through the wastelands of post-viral New York Zero. Equipped with unparalleled new shapeshifting powers,players will gradually build a vast genetic arsenal of deadly new biological weapons and abilities as they hunt, kill and consume their way toward the ultimate goal – to kill Alex Mercer!

PlayStation Network

Battlefield 3 (Full PS3 Game) — Prepare for full-scale war with Battlefield 3, the third major evolution of the long-running online battle franchise. Using the power of Frostbite 2 game engine technology, Battlefield 3 delivers superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before.

Bejeweled 3 — Discover all-new ways to play the world’s #1 puzzle game! Find your perfect match with 8 breathtaking game modes that meet all your moods — including Classic, Quest, Lightning and Zen. Enjoy the amazing sights and sounds. Earn flashy achievement badges. Engage in endless gem-matching fun, and soar to dazzling new heights! The PlayStation 3 retail release of Bejeweled 3 adds in extra good good times with two bonus games — Zuma and Feeding Frenzy 2!

Grease Dance (Full PS3 Game) — Get ready for those Summer Nights with a return to Rydell High! Grease utilizes the PlayStation Move motion sensor technology to deliver the ultimate Grease experience. Sing, dance and party with Barry, Sandy and the rest of the Grease gang. Grease delivers the movie’s signature choreography and legendary songs combined with today’s motion-sensor technology so fans can dance and sing along to their favorite Grease tunes including iconic anthems like “You’re the One That I Want”, “Greased Lightning” and “Summer Nights.” Grease allows players to sing or dance as a solo act, in a duet or four players can team up to sing and dance together for a sensational musical performance.

The Cursed Crusade (Full PS3 Game) — The end of 12th century is nearing. The Pope Innocent 3rd launches a new crusade in order to conquest the holy city, given up few years earlier to the Sultan Solomon armies. While the High Franc Barons mobilize for this new great epic, the meeting with Prince Alexis, Byzantine Empire throne descendant, will change the course of history: This crusade will never go further than Constantinople.

PS3 Demos

• Dragon’s Dogma
  • Ninja Gaiden 3

minis

• Golf Mania (PSN Exclusive)
  • Ikari III: The Rescue

PSone Classics

Future Cop L.A.P.D — Los Angeles is not always a nice place. In the 22nd century, criminals overrun the city, and Los Angeles is declared uninhabitable. You take control of a mech (that can transform into a hover bike) and try to clean up the streets. Use flamethrowers, plasma bursts, mini-shockwave mortars, and many other weapons as you battle through eight action packed levels by yourself or with a friend. For those who like a little more strategy, play the Precinct Assault mode, in which both players (you can challenge the machine or another human) start with bases and construct combat units. However, building the units cost points that are earned by destroying the enemy’s equipment. The first to capture the opposition’s base wins the game. With its multiplayer options and a choice of two different games, FUTURE COP: LAPD offers action and excitement for every gamer.

Darkstalkers 3 — Three ancient spirits ruled the Dark World; Jedah, the oldest spirit, was resurrected. In an effort to rule over the Dark World alone, Jedah wants to save all of the dispirited souls. To create his perfect salvation, he calls those with valuable souls to his world so can take control of them. Choose from 18 horror themed characters as they battle in a tournament to the death. Every character has unique combinations and ultra powerful dark force moves. Be warned, though, as the arenas can have positive and negative effects on the fighters. You’ll be mesmerized by the gorgeous, hand drawn animation that brings the action to life. After beating the computer controlled contenders, challenge your friends in the versus mode, and if they fear your superior skills, feel free to handicap the match. Darkstalkers 3 will challenge your skills as you fight to become the ruler of the night.

PlayStation 2 Classics

Red Faction — Featuring a sophisticated physics engine, five fully controllable vehicles, a variety of unique natural environments, and Volition’s proprietary Geo-Mod Technology, Red Faction is one of the most advanced second-generation titles ever released for the PlayStation 2. Geo-Mod technology supports the real time, arbitrary modification of the geometry that makes up the game’s environment. This means that players have the full ability to destroy whatever they want. Just point a weapon at an object or structure and shoot — total destruction always follows.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

Add Your Own

TMAZT3R said:

April 22nd, 7:22 pm

Also have you even played mutant blobs, escape plan, wipeout, rayman orgins or unit 13? Or platunum’d any of them?

dcskinz21 said:

April 22nd, 7:24 pm

dragon ball z games for ps2 classics should come to psn any word on it??

gdogg666 said:

April 22nd, 7:34 pm

now i have a few british people to kick with my size 19 shoes cus i mean wtf what bout doctor who i mean come onnnn

iTofuMan said:

April 22nd, 7:34 pm

@ TMAZT3R

Just an FYI (and i know this might come as a shock to you) But not everyone likes the same games as you. Yes there was a Vita game last week, but not everyone is into that game, or probably had it for ps3. So thats another week of them not getting/enjoying a game they like.

I think people already know about Mortal Kombat (assuming they dont already own the home console version), and Gravity Rush. What people are asking if they cant release Vita content is to at least give us Psp titles as i would assume most Vita users never got a Psp. This would be easy money for Sony, but i guess they dont want that.

For your second comment i dont understand. What does Platniuming a game have to do with anything? I can list a whole bunch of games on psp/vita/ps3 that i enjoyed playing to the end that arent even close to being Platnium. And again just because you liked those games doesnt mean others dont. So again i guess you are trying to help, but it doesnt help when Sony themselves arent helping the Vita Community.

igorkop said:

April 22nd, 7:37 pm

@darrenaw16 [28] Skype might be up for all we know this Tuesday, I don’t think they’d have it up on The Drop since they never do Add-Ons on here, so I don’t think they’d post Apps, but I might be wrong, don’t take my word for it. Can’t wait Tuesday morning to pick up my paid for version of Prototype 2 Blackwatch Edition on PS3!

luvtoseek said:

April 22nd, 7:42 pm

I sincerely hope the Vita will recieve a major support update on or slightly before E3… worse case scenario: a timeline will be presented to clarify the dates of these updates.

Personally, I use my Vita daily- from gaming, music, films, social app, & photos. I have 4 full games & 3 PSN titles, which are all enjoyable & will require some time to earn every trophy. I barely have time to play my console games, but I can understand how some users just want it all… I hope this year’s E3 will take the Vita to another level.

JokerZombie- said:

April 22nd, 7:47 pm

what about Saints Row 3?

luvtoseek said:

April 22nd, 7:49 pm

@53, that’s a very narrow way of thinking. If your school serves food that does not appeal to you for an entire week, would you claim “Where are the meals?” I know everybody is frustrated but there HAVE been a steady release of content. Sony should have something planned around E3 or the Vita sales will hit a wall.

DoTheKiller91 said:

April 22nd, 7:51 pm

PLEASE release Countdown Vampire for PSOne classic!

Masta_Drake said:

April 22nd, 8:13 pm

ffs sony seriously can we atleast get skype in not to mention some email apps like yahoo or google? also can we please get a mortal kombat vita demo i love the vita but your guys false advertise the remote play i be wrong i took you to court for that. show us vita user some love.

Dark_Yoda_313 said:

April 22nd, 8:20 pm

*sigh*

Still no Rainbow Moon? Any news on a release date? I’ve been looking forward to this for ages…

BEASTXJASON said:

April 22nd, 8:29 pm

Look at all the amazing Vita titles!

TerraAshura said:

April 22nd, 8:36 pm

Starting to get just a little bit glad I’ve decided to wait on a Vita without any PS1 games and a lack of titles atm, but it’s all good. I’m liking this Drop. Some of the games aren’t what I’d normally play (hint: I’m not a shooter kind of person) but I might look into them since plenty of friends play them. Awesome stuff, guys, keep up the excellent job!

iTofuMan said:

April 22nd, 9:24 pm

@ luvtoseek

isnt that why they have different meals?

Im not sure but when i was in High School we had at least 2-3 different lunches in the cafe plus salad. i highly doubt anyone would complain if they couldnt at least get something.

And thats all (we) I’m asking we want at least something each week. there is no reason to having us wait on something since there are still Psp games they could be putting up, but they choose not too. And if they cant do that maybe give us some insight on when Ps1 support is coming

GabeHimself said:

April 22nd, 9:24 pm

What are the chances of seeing Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana as a PS2 download?

febwtf said:

April 22nd, 9:29 pm

Soooo glad I didn’t buy a Vita. The NGP sounded cool, since it could play *all* my PSP PSN games and *all* my PS1 Classics. Too bad that machine didn’t show up :)

But I’m down for Future Cop: LAPD. It’s been out on the EU store for forever, but I’ll pick it up for my PSP. Are you still making the Go? At the rate you’re going, it makes more sense to buy another PSP than a Vita. Good game, Sony.

PainOfSarrow said:

April 22nd, 9:29 pm

Red Faction with that first person view bull…. lets get some rockstar ps2 classics or monster wars or something worth my 10 dollars.

registry_error said:

April 22nd, 9:30 pm

hey Battlefield Bad Company 2 is supposed to be available on 4/24 and you havn’t announced it. This is the second occurence of this with this game in particular within the last 6 months. what the dealio?

I-KlLL-PEOPLE said:

April 22nd, 9:41 pm

hey guys…you can’t expect the vita to have games shelled out like it’s an older system…it’s new guys, the devs are just learning to develope for the system. also, the system has only been out since feb(that’s not four months). yes, you could’ve ordered from japan, but, you can’t count the time it hasn’t been out for your region. I for one still have faith in the vita and am anticipating MK next month. We have a steady stream of games, and, at least one game for each “kind” of gamer. Don’t you guys remember when the ps3 first came out and there weren’t many games? Let the devs focus on the games that can be developed and quit crying for games that are over 10 years old. I for one didn’t pay over 300 bux to play playstation 1 tittles on my new system.

IDrinkYourBlood said:

April 22nd, 9:46 pm

I’m totally stocked for Darkstalker 3

IDrinkYourBlood said:

April 22nd, 9:47 pm

*stoked

mJ_mSv said:

April 22nd, 11:18 pm

Bejeweled 3 Finally on PSN!, whats not so great is that it still adds 2 more games in the bundle I already have like the blueray it looks!, weird :(, Why not make it a standalone?

D-Squad3 said:

April 23rd, 12:09 am

Excited for the Dragon’s Dogma Demo!

inkme1 said:

April 23rd, 1:45 am

WHERES THE VITA LOVE SONY???????????????? as an early adopter i am getting more and more disappointed! my vita is collecting dust like crazy right now! i cant believe you guys would drop the ball like this on a new console release!

flash/html5
FULL remote play functionality
PS1 classics
MORE AAA TITLES

……and thats just a few of the things that were promised when the “NGP” was announced!!!!!
pick the ball back up sony because its in your court and the game is yours to lose or win!

benegessrit said:

April 23rd, 2:03 am

Has anyone seen the European PS Store? (Never mind all the games available on the Japanese Store) They have a game called A-Men, seems like fun. Why doesn’t the US store have it?
And can we expect a similar price drop on PSP games?
No? Mmmph… ok. I’m sure there’s a reason… Doesn’t matter though; the result is the same.

(goes back to staring at his Vita… thinking… thinking… turning flight mode on and off… on and off… getting lost in the mesmerizing animation of the little plane…)

Carl-G said:

April 23rd, 2:47 am

Hopefully ‘Red Faction 2’ will come to PSN soon to? :P The 4 player split-screen with nameable Bots was AMAZING in that game(remember a 4 player split-screen game with Bots people? ? ? LOL, because game makers this Gen seem to have forgotten it) :-(

Alucard-XII said:

April 23rd, 2:47 am

At least we started to get PS1 & PS2 classics again.

Contra Shattered Soldier, Tail Concerto and Gunner’s Heaven.

Dying2Win said:

April 23rd, 3:20 am

Try your chance with Dying2Win:
Up for grabs: 1 PS VITA and many PS3 GAMES!!
—> dying2win.playstation.com.tr.vu <—

Sogeman said:

April 23rd, 3:46 am

So the US has Red Faction now, can Europe get Persona 3 please?

daveyr41 said:

April 23rd, 4:36 am

Red faction, Future cop, and a demo for Dragon’s Dogma? Seems like a pretty solid tuesday coming :D

BigDaddyCrunch said:

April 23rd, 5:28 am

And for PS Vita? How about at least throwing us a bone with a LBP Vita release date?

Elvick_ said:

April 23rd, 6:58 am

Darkstalkers 3, and Red Faction? Win for the Classic side of things. Well done.

Elvick_ said:

April 23rd, 7:00 am

@65: Why on earth would you buy a PSVita to play all PSP and PSone games? Just buy a PSP. smh, people are over exaggerating… oh right, ‘gamers’ love to do that these days. Whine away.

RonZombie91 said:

April 23rd, 7:01 am

Can’t wait for Prototype 2! Been waiting on this for a long time. Now I just need RE6 and the new DMC!

AgitoKoyoto said:

April 23rd, 7:25 am

Guys just calm down about Vita releases, if you haven’t noticed there is a line up of games to come in May. :)

Doozer17268 said:

April 23rd, 8:10 am

Love Red Faction for PS2! I’ve played the Campaign twice in the past.

DeRR24 said:

April 23rd, 8:35 am

Still waiting for new Vita support….

enjionPS said:

April 23rd, 8:35 am

People have every right to be annoyed by the lack of Vita anything. If I had spent 250+ on what seems to be amounting to a very nice looking paperweight, I’d be pissed too.

Decent week… Future Cop is fun. Darkstalkers 3 is a pretty good port of Vampire Savior/Hunter 2.

Hopefully we get that Walking Dead game, and the Warriors Orochi 3 DLC we should’ve gotten last week.

Also you all really need to stop hyping up downloadable PS3 games until you get the pricing right. For example I can go buy Cursed Crusade now for 15 dollars. It’ll probably be around 30-40 on PSN. Fix that.

febwtf said:

April 23rd, 9:28 am

@80 I hope that remedial reading class works out for you.

1. I have not purchased a Vita as it does not meet my needs.
2. I own a PSP. I have purchased many PSP games. Most of them are not available on the Vita, unless I also purchase the $200 installation unit called a PS3. I was ready to spend $350 on the handheld+overpriced memory card+game or two with whatever was left over, since I could continue playing my PSP stuff. Since that isn’t the case, I’m sticking to what works for me.

But thanks for trying, Elvick_. I’ll even cheer for you at graduation!

GodofwOOt said:

April 23rd, 9:35 am

It’s pretty sad when Amazon.com only has FIVE games listed as ‘coming soon’ for the Vita…and none of them are due out before May or June. Seriously. I didn’t check, but I’d guess they’ve still got five games listed as coming soon for the PS2 and GameCube. (That was sarcasm. I’m well aware that no new software is being released for either system…but the PS2 was receiving scattered end of life support as recently as a few years ago from publishers.)

Is this a new system in the prime of it’s life? Or a dead end device that’s nearing extinction? I mean…if the games weren’t ready for the post-launch period…why not just delay the launch?

mrhalford said:

April 23rd, 9:41 am

Yes!!!! Future Cop LAPD!!! Awesome game!!!!!!!

GODFATHERTIG said:

April 23rd, 10:49 am

vita is A EPIC FAIL they dont give us anything to buy!

Emerald_Swords said:

April 23rd, 11:00 am

Is Red Faction any good? Is it similar to the current games that were released this gen?

Gamble_STARS said:

April 23rd, 11:37 am

Why is my Vita collecting dust? May 29th seems like the only day my vita will be put to good use.

Toshi_TNE said:

April 23rd, 11:39 am

Could you please make more PSP games available on the ps vita? I have games like locoroco that I can’t install without buying a PSP game installer (AKA PS3). And while you’re at it, could you ask how Japan managed to have Megaman powered up available in their store?
Sorry for sounding like a jerk but to be honest I’m really disappointed in the way you handle releases for the vita. I sold my ps3 during the blackout fiasco but I was really rooting for the vitas success. Now I’m spending most of my days playing on my 3ds.

blakseed said:

April 23rd, 11:39 am

Can’t wait to try Dragon’s Dogma. Game look awesome

AizawaYuuichi said:

April 23rd, 12:07 pm

@GodofwOOt: You do realize that there are quite a bunch of games that are PSN-only for the Vita right? Probably many more coming up. Amazon won’t list those, as they can’t sell them. Heck, I’ve talked to game store employees who said the Vita launch “had no games, like, maybe 10”. Then I point them to the fact that it had 26 launch titles (though many were ports, and those were mostly the ones being sold in stores), and all the “new” games were download-only… they had no clue.
And seriously, gamers nowadays are an entitled bunch of whiners. I’m coming close to two dozen games on my Vita now, between Vita-digital, Vita-physical and PSP-digital and over 30 if I include everything. There’s been plenty of content released in the TWO MONTHS since street date for the system. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t there. *headdesk*

iBOCK_ said:

April 23rd, 12:15 pm

Prototype 2! Hooray! So psyched about that.

tusunami said:

April 23rd, 12:21 pm

Gamers should be thankful for getting games free when it is given,Because sony doesn’t have to give us games free.And all these things of what there complaining about games,they haven’t even finished the games they ownif they own any at all.