PS4 - Destiny

Awesomenauts Blasts Off On PSN In May, Free for PS Plus

Robin Meijer's Avatar + Posted by Robin Meijer on Apr 24, 2012 // Producer, Ronimo Games

Ronimo Games here with some big news: Our upcoming PS3 game Awesomenauts will blast onto PlayStation Store this May 1st…and it will be the PlayStation Plus game of the month! PlayStation Plus subscribers can grab it through the month of May at no extra charge!

Imagine Eighties Saturday morning cartoons and platforming shooters made sweet love. Awesomenauts is what their love-baby would look like! Awesomenauts is an online, class-based side-scrolling shooter that blends intense platforming combat with lethal skills and strategic team-play to produce a unique DOTA-like competitive experience. Matches are played out online or offline in 3 vs 3 and you’ll coordinate attacks with your buddies and gather Solar to unlock and upgrade your weapons. You’ll ultimately strive to outsmart enemy players, pushing your way through turrets and waves of droids to destroy the enemy base.

You’ll be able to play as several unique Awesomenauts: Clunk, a giant rocket-launching, self-destructing robot; Yuri, a jetpack-rocking, mine-throwing, bad-mannered monkey; and Froggy G, a watery breakdancer who dazzles his opponents. Each character fulfills a unique role within a team, and their abilities can be customized with many upgrades as you storm the online arena!

Awesomenauts for PS3 (PSN)

Life as an Awesomenaut is best enjoyed with friends, so we’ve included splitscreen play! In fact, you can play with up to three people on the same console and dominate online and offline matches as a team. We want as many people as possible playing Awesomenauts, and hope the game will have a large community. That’s why we’ve teamed up with PlayStation to make the game free for PlayStation Plus subscribers throughout May! And we’re preparing to support the game with new characters and items in the near future to make sure the game stays fresh.

Awesomenauts for PS3 (PSN)

In Awesomenauts you can always get straight into the action; the game has full drop-in support where humans can replace bots at any time during a match. Have friends come online while you’re already in a match? No problem, just send them an invite and they can drop into your game straight away. You’ll never have to wait in lobbies for a match to start!

We are really excited to test our mettle against you all online. There’s only a week to go until you can gear up and see if you’ve got what it takes to be an Awesomenaut. Hope to see you online! We’ll be playing for sure, so check out Twitter.com/RonimoGames and Facebook.com/Awesomenauts to stay up to date on any playsessions we’ve got going on.

Use your power, show your might! Win the cosmic war, the Awesomenauts!

+ Squiggle55 on April 24th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

thanks for teaming up with sony to make this free! I’m looking forward to trying it out.

+ gdogg666 on April 24th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

ummmm idk what to say bout this game lol tho i do love to give new games a try so ill def try this game out

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

Happy to hear that :) Give it whirl – I’m sure you’ll have a good time!

+ DragonRay on April 24th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

this looks kind of fun , will there be a demo ?
I’d like to try it out before buying , unless the price is too good to pass up , so price please ?. Was thinking of getting three months plus subscription so maybe this game will be the deciding factor , free is always good and a free full game trial is always going to beat a demo anyway .

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

There will be a demo available that allows you to play online for 30 minutes. All features are available in the demo, so you can even go online in splitscreen mode! The 30 minutes should be enough for you to get in 2 or 3 matches.

The game will be available for $9.99 to non-subscribers.

+ rjejr on April 24th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

That is one seriously awesome video. And that’s not just a pun, it’s the truth, it made my day as well (being a PS+ member and all.)

Quick question – does this need to be played online? I have 3 people on my couch playing all the time but we’re not allowed online (so says my wife, their mom).

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

Glad you liked it! (Comments like these make my day)

You can play offline against bots if you wish, even in split screen :)

+ Elvick_ on April 24th, 2012 at 10:36 am said:

I’m really, really looking forward to this. Been following the game for a long while now, and for it to be free on my preferred platform is just so awesome. I feel almost bad not paying for it. D;

I hope this gets a lot of people into the game that otherwise wouldn’t have tried it, because it looks fantastic. :D

+ luvtoseek on April 24th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

Looks fun. If I enjoy it, I’ll def. consider any future projects from you!

+ luvtoseek on April 24th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

Hi Robin, any thoughts on DLC?

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

Hi Luvtoseek, we definitely want to keep expanding the game by adding more characters over time. We already have two new characters in the works and loads of ideas for more to add after those!

+ DragonRay on April 24th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

Ok , $10 is cheap for a fun game so if after 30 minutes it’s fun it’ll be bought and payed for . , 30 minutes free play was more than enough for battlefield 1943 , especialy sionce I can try it on two accounts so have a full hour to try it out
hope it’ll be supported with dlc too , extra modes ? more characters ? more weapons ? all would be nice to add later .

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

We’re aiming to add more characters over time, but don’t have any plans to add more gameplay modes at this time. We really want to avoid splitting the community between people who have access to certain content and those who do not, and adding new modes through DLC would make that an issue.

However, we’re open to feedback from our community so if there seems to be a lot of demand for this it’s definitely something we will look into further.

+ saab01 on April 24th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

I cant wait to try this game out next week. Hopefully it will be fun like how it is portrayed in the video.

+ SKeRJ on April 24th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

2d Dota action, 80′s cartoon theme song, and amphibious breakdancing all = bought.

+ Hogwild333 on April 24th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

I admit that this game was not on my radar, but you have addressed any concerns I had. First, thank you for making it free to PS Plus members.

Second, thank you for confirming in your response to comment #4 that it is possible to play this game against bots. I don’t care for competitive MP games so this is perfect. Is there a way to adjust the difficulty level of the bots (i.e. easy to start out and make them harder once you get better at the game)?

Third, I really like your approach to adding new characters rather than adding DLC levels that splinter the userbase. I am often hesitant to buy DLC levels for online games because I know that I won’t be able to play them with all my friends.

Great job all around – I would be willing to pay money for this game if it wasn’t free for me. :)

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Making sure we don’t splinter the userbase has definitely been a priority for us: we know a multiplayer game is simply the most fun when there are lots of people online to you can play with!

+ DeathGazer on April 24th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

That trailer was badass! So glad it’s free for subscribers, the game looks like a blast.

+ wocyob on April 24th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

I loooove me some DOTA and always thought about how a DOTA type game would work a console and you seemed to have worked out that problem. Going 2d was a smart move and I look forward to giving this a go.

+ CAPNDigital on April 24th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

Looks like fun. Lovin’ the 80′s-style cartoon intro and rock theme – excellent… or should I say “Awesome”-nauts.

Is this strictly an online multiplayer game or is there an offline single/multiplayer split-screen campaign as well?

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 25th, 2012 at 12:13 am said:

Hi CAPNDigital, the heart and soul of the game lies in online multiplayer and there isn’t a separate offline campaign or anything. However, you can play offline against bots if you prefer (alone or in split-screen) to practice or simply to try out new characters or builds.

+ Budapesti on April 24th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

PLEASE tell me that theme song is going to be in the game. It’s the best thing I’ve heard, ever.

+ CAPNDigital on April 24th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

Just checked out the http://www.awesomenauts.com site.
Nice behind the scenes developer diaries and still loving that 80′s style Awesomenauts Theme!!!
Great work by Jeffrey Zuhdy on vocal stylings.

+ Craazy on April 24th, 2012 at 12:55 pm said:

I played this in your little (way too far in the back corner….should have been out on the main floor) box at E3 last year……and LOVED it. Psyched to get it for free with plus!

+ FORMIK on April 24th, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

Best. Trailer. Ever. Looks like a great game!

+ namDa65 on April 24th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

First off, i’d like to say wow. For the amount of money we are paying this is amazing.

Thank you.

However! The sales and specials are lacking recently compared to competing services. I want to throw more money at you psn and I would buy everything full price if I could, but if I can find it elsewhere for cheaper, the competing service gets my moolah.

+ GT-420 on April 24th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

How does the gameplay compare to something like Crash Commando, another side scrolling multiplayer focused shooter?

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 25th, 2012 at 12:21 am said:

Hi GT-420, I think Crash Commando is mainly focused on Deathmatch-type gamemodes, where Awesomenauts is more objective-oriented. Your primary mission is always to destroy the enemy base, and while killing other players will put you and your team ahead, just doing that will not win you the match.

+ blakseed on April 24th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

lol Thanks for this. Looks..awesome.

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 24th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

Robin Meijer on April 24th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

“Hey Hogwild, there is no real way of adjusting the difficulty manually but the bots become more skillful and more powerful as your account levels up. They start off quite easy against first-time players, and will become quite brutal by the time you’ve become more experienced yourself.”

Please, for the love of all that is fluffy and cuddly, fix this. This is why Brink died so fast. A specified number of players with bots in place if there aren’t enough live players. And with insane difficulty to boost, with no way to adjust, that keeps ramping up as you level. Some people want to play games and JUST HAVE FUN, not “be challenged” for having fun over a longer period of time. If this becomes a problem, I’ll be glad I got it for free. As it is, I’ll still give it a chance, but this will be a deal-breaker on future DLC purchases.

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 25th, 2012 at 12:32 am said:

Hey AizawaYuuichi, we aimed to let bots compete on a fair level for most experienced players. They won’t have super-human accuracy or deal more damage than regular players, but they usually do make short work of players who over-extend or are careless. The difficulty stops increasing when your account reaches the half-way mark of the total progression and we’ll be keeping an eye on how the bots match up against players as time progresses. If we think they are in need of a buff or a nerf we’ll fix that.

Please let us know if you have any concerns with this after launch!

+ DrkrZen on April 24th, 2012 at 1:55 pm said:

Pleeeease tell me these games will go on sale for us non-subscribers! I won’t be able to re-subscribe for a few months, but I’ve been waiting on a sale for TRINE 2 (absolutely loved the first game). Not that $14.99 isn’t worth it for Frostbyte quality gaming… but every buck saved is one put toward another game, y’know? :)

+ r-nice on April 24th, 2012 at 5:09 pm said:

Alright, where can I get that song?

+ SHINSPIKES on April 24th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

A side scrolling, platforming moba game??? Thats so simple yet so AWESOME. You guys said new characters as dlc? Great idea, maybe some free, ala LOL? New abilites or weapons would be great too for future updates. This looks good, can’t wait to try it out. Go big on this one guys.

+ SHINSPIKES on April 24th, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

Also, maybe having an update to make it 4 v 4 in the future?

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 25th, 2012 at 12:53 am said:

No plans to have 4 vs. 4 games for now, as we found that 3 vs. 3 is right at the sweet spot between exciting combat and having too many things happen at once.

+ Cross-Legacy on April 24th, 2012 at 7:19 pm said:

Wow! That theme song alone made me want to try this. Even more so now that its free for PS+.

+ KingTygerVII on April 24th, 2012 at 9:22 pm said:

Dont take this the wrong way but the song was stupid BUT it was awesome at the same time hahha, made me laugh and made me feel like i was watching the original POWER rangers again hahaha, looks like fun and since its free, i wil definitely play it, but i ask, will there be customization? Like coloring the characters so they dont look the same and stuff, and I will pick Froggy G first, frogs, dont like to touch them but hell, they look to cool!. hahhaah

Robin Meijer's Avatar

+ Robin Meijer on April 25th, 2012 at 1:01 am said:

There aren’t any cosmetic changes to the characters themselves (your character is either always Red of Blue), but you can customize the upgrades you have available to each character in the store. Some of these change the visual effects of your weapon and abilities as well, like some of Clunk’s upgrades that make him shoot different missiles in a sequence (getting bigger every time), or upgrades for Voltar’s drones that make them bigger, shinier, faster, and more lethal.

+ ZENegade on April 24th, 2012 at 11:29 pm said:

I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME JUST FOR ITS THEME SONG.

+ N9nE-9 on April 25th, 2012 at 12:06 am said:

this games looks pretty damn fun, man I’m glad I grabbed a year of PS+, everyone really should. Makes me wonder how others can charge monthly fees and not throw some free games your way and we’re not talking weak games either, Far Cry 2 was free in February, Sly Cooper in March and Shank 2 and Shift 2 this month say what ya want, but Sony is pretty good when it comes to rewarding its fans.

+ t0mmyb0iii on April 25th, 2012 at 4:02 am said:

Nice. Can’t wait to try this out.

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 25th, 2012 at 12:44 pm said:

Hey, Robin, thanks for your reply about the bots. That info definitely makes me feel better about this. Looking forward to checking it out now. :)

+ ChaoticRage on April 25th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

This looks like it will be great. Great song in the trailer too.

+ madribar on April 25th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

Today I am afraid to buy games on the Playstation Store.

You never know if the game will come for free next month! Trine 2? OMG! Thanks for the info!

+ OnEdge_RPGs on April 25th, 2012 at 6:06 pm said:

Look to much like Megaman games, which i hate to say, I don’t like much. But since its free for Plus user, I will give it a try. Maybe it I will end up liking it a lot.

+ odd69 on April 26th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

Thank you guys this will be the first game i buy in may, just loaded money in my account for this. I love 2D games like this

+ capice2003 on April 26th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

Come on with it Ill pay extra for the ability to vote what actually releases like a poll vote….you guys should do it…..Put the power of the vote into the gamers that actually support the plus+……. LONG LIVE PLUS and PS for that matter..

+ jlcnodoubt on April 26th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

we get the game a day early and Free……Geezuz Sony how do you do this

+ odd69 on April 27th, 2012 at 4:53 am said:

@robin meijer

Adding DLC wouldnt be a problem if everyone was able to download it for free, Unreal did this and i was so pleased with free content. But anyway have some free and paid DLC, just have it balanced. Like Pay for full expansions and throw in free level/ costume packs to spice up a few months. It would be awesomsauce for sure.

+ Blandlytasteful on April 30th, 2012 at 4:10 am said:

So, the publisher filing for insolvency (or bankruptcy, for us americans) isn’t going to cause a problem with this?

+ villaintine on April 30th, 2012 at 10:59 am said:

Please don’t let the publisher’s filing for insolvency, affect the release of this game, it looks AWESOME! I love co-op/MP hybrids, and really wish there were more of them.

+ El_Pollo_CA on May 1st, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

@4 rjejr, I’m still laughing at that, Thanks for bringing a smile to someone in a similar situation although I am “allowed” online :). Cheers,, I’m looking forward to trying this game as well, looks fun.

+ Wulfjr on May 1st, 2012 at 4:35 pm said:

Lol i luv that music! AWSOME AWSOME AWSOOOOOOOOMENAAAAAAAUTS!

+ Kurai-Riku on May 2nd, 2012 at 3:13 am said:

I didn’t think I would like this game, from the videos I didn’t think I’d like the style. I downloaded it however because it was free and I was wrong, I really really like it, really addicting, its a great game. Thanks for making it :D

+ SpoonyBard on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:50 pm said:

My boys (4 and 14) and I are enjoying this game quite a bit. My one complaint: We can’t seem to sign in under our own PSN names when we play together. This should be a must for all games of this type. We still have fun, but the XP we’re earning should go towards the person earning them.

+ kaka_campolongo on May 7th, 2012 at 11:27 am said:

Good, game, I love Playstation Plus…
I’m very happy with the TRINE 2 for us subscribers this month, because I love trine 1, Trine 2 rules.

Please sony give us next month good rpg games pleasee, and more discoutns XD

See you later
LET’s play guys

+ modo_komodo on May 8th, 2012 at 2:57 am said:

Downloaded this at the weekend. It is so addictive!

Now trying to create the best build load out and upgrade tactics. It’s pretty challenging. I clearly need to do some work because people seem capable of levelling up far faster than me.

+ BrownChiKaNo on May 11th, 2012 at 9:34 pm said: