PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

PlayStation Plus May Preview: Free Awesomenauts, Trine 2, Rock of Ages, PixelJunk 4am Beta

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Apr 24, 2012 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

PlayStation Plus returns with another month of fantastic free games and awesome exclusives that have subscribers around the world believing in Plus. Kicking things off in May is new release Awesomenauts, FREE for PlayStation Plus subscribers. Watch the trailer below!

This colorfully action packed 2D online multiplayer battler with split-screen gameplay is releasing on May 1st. You’ll storm the game’s online battlegrounds and unlock loads of new abilities and characters for your arsenal. For more details on Awesomenauts come back to the blog a little later today — developer Ronimo will have more details on the game and will stick around to respond to your comments and questions.

Trine 2: PlayStation Plus

PSN hit Trine 2 joins the free games selection in May, boasting widespread critical acclaim and a dazzling fantasy world. Don’t miss out on one of the prettiest titles in gaming — grab Trine 2 for free on Plus this month. Not enough for you? How about getting Rock of Ages for free when it releases on PSN? The acclaimed mix of tower-defense strategy and rolling ball physics (trust us, it’s fun will keep you in stitches with the game’s quirky humor and ultra-addictive gameplay modes.

Rock of Ages: PlayStation Plus

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: PlayStation Plus

May also brings the free release of PS one Classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania Chronicles. For many of you, Castlevania: SotN needs no introduction. If you’ve never had a chance to experience what many fans consider to be the definitive Castlevania game, you now have no excuse. Castlevania Chronicles, on the other hand, is based on the original Castlevania but is no less engaging than SotN, especially given its blistering challenge. Gamers who are looking for a classic challenge need look no further!

Saints Row The Third will be available on 5/8 as a PS3 Full Game download. If you missed out on this insane open-world epic last fall, you may want to jump on it as it will have a 20% discount when it releases.

PlayStation Plus April 2012

If you’ve had your eye on PixelJunk 4am, you’ll be happy to hear that Plus subscribers get exclusive access to the game’s beta! All PlayStation Plus subscribers will get access to the online viewer where you can watch performances built in this musical PlayStation Move experience that immerses you in the creative flow of making music. Select Plus subscribers will also get access to the performance beta, so watch your PSN messages to see if you’re selected.

There’s a ton more coming this month that isn’t yet on the list below, including free minis like Velocity and Floating Cloud God, exclusive discounts coming towards the end of the month and more. If you’re not yet a Plus subscriber, you can snag your subscription by clicking here or purchasing it on PlayStation Store.

Remember, some content and/or release dates outlined may change including the addition or removal of content. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, or continue the discussion on the PlayStation Community forums in the Official PlayStation Plus Update thread.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Click here to purchase your subscription today!

Exclusives: Early Access:
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier – 5/22
Free Avatars and Themes:
Dead Cloud Avatar – 5/15
Gear Avatar – 5/15
Mesh Dynamic Theme – 5/22
Discounts: PSN Games:
Datura – 5/8 (PS Plus Price – $7.99)
Disney Universe – 5/1 (PS Plus Price: $15.00)
Rayman: Origins – 5/15 (PS Plus Price: $15.00)
Saints Row The Third – 5/8 (PS Plus Price: $47.99)

PAGE 1 2 3

+ WOODANI on April 24th, 2012 at 8:10 am said:

sweet! hope my playstation plus subscription hasn’t run out yet i cant afford to renew it right now..

+ MPaullin on April 24th, 2012 at 8:10 am said:

Dammit! I bought Trine 2 on release and Rock of Ages on the “other” console! Pretty awesome month all around. Will check out those Castlevania games since I haven’t played them before.

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

You definitely owe it to yourself to check out Castlevania SotN.

+ G-Force08 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

PixelJunk 4am Beta? Trine 2 free? #Sweet!

Loving it. I signed up for PS+ on the very first day it was available back in 2010 and have not been disappointed yet.

Also, Datura comes out in May as well? Awesome! I wasn’t expecting it to release this soon.

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier Trial – 5/22

So I assume a digital version of the game will be available the same day that it is released in retail stores? It’s pretty awesome that PlayStation has been able to achieve this with a few games now.

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

Glad to have you on board =)

+ MPaullin on April 24th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

BTW, Rayman Origins for $15 is madness. Everyone get that ASAP.

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

We’re making a quick correction on this as well, but the date this is happening is actually 5/29.

+ jwspiker on April 24th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

Rayman origins for 15$ check, all the free bee’s check.. Plus has been great as of late.

+ riseagainstme1 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

What a great month! I thought it would be hard to top this month’s PS+ bonuses, but May is looking just as good or better.

I’m especially excited for Trine 2 and Symphony of the Night, which I have never actually gotten around to playing before.

+ D-Squad3 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

PlayStation Plus FTW

+ spidersparlor on April 24th, 2012 at 8:14 am said:

Everyone pick up Velocity.

(I might be biased… I named it. ;) )

+ killersense on April 24th, 2012 at 8:15 am said:

great update. whats the difference there will always be someone that will show up here and say like meh not interested in any of these games and ask for something else lol. i am telling you everyone wants everything for free nowadays .

+ androvsky on April 24th, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

For those poor souls that haven’t already picked up the two Castlevania games, that’s going to be an incredible month. I have, so I’ll have to content myself with Awesomenauts… which is still looks pretty good. :)

Since PS+ has no trouble giving away big-named new games and classic old ones… how about some PS2 games? Since my launch PS3 died, I’d love to be able to play PS2 games on my slims, but I’m not in the mood to double-dip so many games.

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

As the PS2 Classic collection grows, this may become an option.

+ KingTygerVII on April 24th, 2012 at 8:20 am said:

WOW!, Trine 2 and Rock of Ages, two games I wanted so bad but saving up for another PSN game, yay! now this is good month, and 2 castlevania games? those are good time killers! ^_^ good, now I can go re-subcribe for PSN+ before it expires.

+ monyking on April 24th, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

this is why I won’t cancel my subscription at all.

+ RudestBuddhist on April 24th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

I hope we get some PS+ Vita love soon.

+ Alex_Yagami on April 24th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Rayman Origins for $15 is HOT! That game deserves a lot more in my opinion so get it ASAP!
Thanks for the free Trine 2! That’s nice. :)

+ joey_joey_joey8 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

does the Rayman origins discount also applicable to the ps vita version? thanks!

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

I believe this is only for the PS3 version of the game.

+ MushThePainter on April 24th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

I hope that rayman is the vita version, already have ps3 version..

+ Squiggle55 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:30 am said:

Wow this is a great month. Still can’t wait for some free games to be useable on the Vita, but this is a good month regardless.

+ DeathGazer on April 24th, 2012 at 8:32 am said:

Killer freebies and discounts…PS+ is so awesome!!!

+ DZORMAGEN on April 24th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

With updates like this, and last months, I don’t see why I wont keep subscribing to the PS Plus! Great job Sony, and all companies involved! Now we just need to see some Plus love to Vita owners too!

+ prisoner4664 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

This looks great! I only wish when you guys put something in the playstation plus preview it would be a definite thing like battlefield 2 keeps being pushed forward since like march and saints row I was hoping to get that this week I understand things happen but please try to keep it accurate :)

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

We do aim to be as accurate as possible. But it’s definitely a balance act. We want to let people know of everything great that’s coming in the month, but sometimes the content a bit further off may slip a date or two.

+ alfred7131 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:40 am said:

I want some Blazblue AVATARS paleeeeeza!

+ Elvick_ on April 24th, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Amazing O:

I was going to buy Awesomenauts for sure, and was going to buy Trine 2 on PS3 eventually as well. (have it on PC/Mac already)

And anyone who doesn’t have Rayman Origins, there’s no excuse now. $15 is a great price.

And Castlevania <3 Lawdy, this is a great month.

+ ein_nineteenth on April 24th, 2012 at 8:47 am said:

Cool preview, everything sounds great this time around.

My only problem is the SR3 discount- The game is really not worth more than $30 dollars as it took less than 6 hours to 100% . But I can wait for it to drop to $20 in retail in the next couple of months.

+ Shadow-Man_4 on April 24th, 2012 at 8:51 am said:

Awesome stuff. Mainly satisfied that we get free games from their release day. Huge move in the right direction. :)

I’m so disappointed that we are not getting Max Payne (PS2 Classic) that the EU are getting. Seriously? I’m respectfully asking for an explanation as to why. I’m getting Max Payne 3 next month and I’d like to understand the events of Max Payne on the Playstation 2. I can’t even discribe how disappointed am I to see that on the EU Update but not for us.

Please please please release it for us. Please. I really want to try Max Payne The PS2 Classic. Please reply. :(

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

Tune into the blog for more Max Payne news coming soon.

+ Wayndawind on April 24th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

SONY, can i get a trophy or something for all the money that your guys are getting from me. ill be a triple platinum by the end of May. Damn you, just when im upset with you, you know how reel me back in. Damn. ..Damn … Damn.

+ Major_Hoare on April 24th, 2012 at 8:52 am said:

This appears to be a good looking month for PS+!

+ StealthReborn– on April 24th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Hey Morgan, (and to those it may concern)

Since the two year anniversary of PS+ is coming up in a couple of months, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a blog post similar to the “Here are your top 10 Platinums” blog post that was made by Jeff in March. In this case, I think that it would be really interesting to see how PS+ has evolved over the past two years.

Such as:

1) The current amount of PS+ subscribers
2) Total amount of PSN/PS3 games given to subscribers to date.
3) Total savings through discounted/free games.

Etc.

As you may have saw, people enjoyed seeing the stats from the “top 10 platinum” blog post and I think people would be interested in seeing this sort of thing done as well. It’s just a thought though, so if it can be done, that would be great! =)

As usual, thanks for the great content for May, keep up the great work! =)

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ll have some great things to talk about with Plus this coming year.

+ ACCELLION_XGP on April 24th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

I have been a PSN+ user since day 1 but I let it expire after a year. I’m jumping back in for sure thats to much of a great deal to pass up. You pulled me back in. :)

1. When can we expect ps one classic support on the vita?
2. Been looking forward to velocity a long time now. Was a day 1 for me, but being on psn+ makes it better.

+ PlatinumAura on April 24th, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

Trine 2 and a discounted Rayman Origins!!!Ill check out Awesomenauts too!!!

+ BigDaddyCrunch on April 24th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

These are great benefits! I love my Plus subscription… BUT I do wish:

1. There were some benefits for Vita owners as well.

2. PSP Minis past and present that were part of Plus benefits were compatible to transfer to PS Vita. (This is especially frustrating. (I want to play Canabalt and MANY others on my Vita.)

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

These are being looked into, rest assured.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 24th, 2012 at 9:10 am said:

never understood how people call them free games when in all reality there realy just rentals. wont even be able to use the games unless you renew plus forever. glade i buy my games to keep forever, but i can say the ps plus discounts are pretty awsome and kept forever even if you dont renew.

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

this is true, but think of it like netflix, or something like that. You don’t own the movies that you can watch on there, and you can’t watch them at all without a subscription. But as long as you’re a subscriber you get access to all sorts of content. Hope you become a Plus subscriber in the near future!

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on April 24th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

This is quite amazing. I love PS Plus-PSN! I needed co-op games and they delivered. I’d still like to see better organization options on the XMB, more free avatars and more colors for the PSN profiles! Why do some people have custom colors now? Something to do with being exclusive to the Vita? Also I see some avatars say Pro or Select….what is that about?

+ StealthReborn– on April 24th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

@ 32

It’s for people that were in the PlayStation Rewards program that Sony had going on for awhile in a beta. It didn’t work out at the time so they closed it down.

+ TwinDad on April 24th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

Good content this month. Something for everyone.

There are several full game trials I’m interested in.

The prices for Rayman and Disney Universe are great.

+ phatmillips on April 24th, 2012 at 9:17 am said:

Legendary

+ Hooligantuan on April 24th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

The only thing that has appealed to me about PS+ was the Borderlands bundle deal last year, and I only capitalized on that because I waited to activate my complimentary free month of PS+ from the PSN outage until it was a few days from expiring. I haven’t seen anything since to make me want to pay for that service, but it perpetually aggravates me since it’s affecting content sales for nonplussed PSN users and keeps a lot of content in the limbo of Free-for-PS+ for extended periods of time.

My first year with a PS3 was really cool, I really enjoyed it. 2011 blew pretty hard, and we’re approaching the halfway point of 2012 and I am just really, really unimpressed. So much more is going on over the Steam service, they have better and more frequent sales, and they don’t have second-class customers like Sony does with its nonplussed customer base.

+ Hooligantuan on April 24th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

(PS: Steam sold that same Borderlands bundle a few months later for just $9.99. Just sayin’.)

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

That’s good feedback. I’d love to hear more about what Plus would need to be for you to hop on board. Feel free to DM in the PlayStation Community forums: http://community.us.playstation.com/ ID: mochuuu or you can post your thoughts here in the comments too.

+ Conaaando on April 24th, 2012 at 9:20 am said:

Wow, I’m glad I just renewed my PSN+ account! :-) Rock of Ages, I was waiting for it for… AGES! :-D Thanks!!!

+ TERMINATOR543 on April 24th, 2012 at 9:22 am said:

I may just snag Datura. I usually only buy DLC from the PlayStation Store. You guys should give us Flow and Flower one month. I am surprised you guys didn’t give it to us in March along with a Journey discount or something. Either way, great update, keep it up guys.

+ WilburMonkey on April 24th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

Yet another amazing month! Can’t wait to play Trine 2 and Rock of Ages.

+ Synchrotronator on April 24th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

Wow, what a fantastic month. I was planning on getting Trine 2 and Awesomenauts eventually and Rock of Ages looks interesting. I had been waiting to get Rayman Origins for $20ish, so $15 is awesome!

+ Wozman23 on April 24th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

Trine 2 is a great deal. I bought it Day 1, loved every second, and am eagerly awaiting the expansion. Rayman Origins is an amazing deal. It’s one of my favorite games of all time, and I can’t wait for confirmation of sequel rumors.

Looks like I’ll be picking up Datura. I’ve been anticipating it and Velocity. The rest of the stuff looks fun too.

+ ElektroDragon on April 24th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

PLEASE make the $15 Rayman apply to the Vita version! Please please please!! I will be so happy.

+ Killer_Mangos on April 24th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

May’s update is looking to be fantastic!

- I’ve been wanting to play Trine 2 since it released, but I’ve been up in the air about buying it for PC or PS3. I’m super excited to finally get to play this!

- Rock of Ages is something I’ve been wanting to check out for awhile.

- Castlevania!

- I’ve been waiting to check out PixelJunk 4am forever! A new visualizer for the PS3! The only thing stopping me from streaming my music to the PS3 was the lack of visualizers. SO HAPPY =DDD

- Rayman: Origins is super cheap and has a full-game trial. More people need to play this game! It’s crazy fun with 3-4 friends sitting together in a room. =)

- Datura and Awesomenauts both look interesting, but we’ll see. I might have to give in to Awesomenauts, though.

Thanks so much. =)

+ DION3TO on April 24th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

Wow, great months May will be!

I am so getting Trine 2 and Rayman Origins.
Thanks Sony and all the Playstation team.

+ avanfreak23 on April 24th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

Ah i did buy Trine 2 at launch, now is free what a shame. yet the other stuff looks great, specially Castlevania definetely will play those, never play them before.

+ Zoidzerg on April 24th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

This is one of the best months in a long time.

Some PSOne classics I will actually play. Trine 2 and Rock of Ages are titles I was already interested in. Awesomenauts for all I know could be awesome too.

Rayman Origins discount is also good. Already got the disc myself but I wanted to chime in that it is a good deal.

Great month!

+ Enigma777 on April 24th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

The Rayman Origins discount doesn’t apply for the Vita version?

Are you kidding me?

+ luvtoseek on April 24th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Nothing for me but Datura. But I won’t deny it; if I didn’t already have these incoming free games, I’ll like it to be May right now.

Sony, good luck in this year’s E3 (live cast, correct?)… I know I’ll be impressed!!

+ Morgan Haro on April 24th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

We’ll be having plenty of options for everyone to tune into SCEA’s presence at E3. Stay tuned for details!

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 24th, 2012 at 9:51 am said: