Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Apr 24

Skype PS Vita

PS Vita Gets Skype Video and Voice Calling Today

Manrique Brenes's Avatar Posted by Manrique Brenes on Apr 24, 2012 // Senior Director, Consumer Electronics Group at Skype

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

Hi everyone! My name is Manrique Brenes and I’m the senior director of the consumer electronics group at Skype. We’ve very happy to announce that the Skype Video and Voice calling app for PS Vita will be available later today on PlayStation Store.

Starting later today, you can enjoy free Skype calls on PS Vita. You’ll be able to keep in touch with gamers around the globe while you’re on the go as Skype is available for both the 3G/Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi models.

The Skype app includes free Skype-to-Skype voice calling, as well as high-quality video calling that utilizes PS Vita’s front and rear cameras. The Skype app on PS Vita runs in “background mode” while you’re gaming or using other applications* — meaning you have the capability to “pause” a game, conduct a call and then return to your previous activity — so you never miss a call. Plus, with a little Skype credit you can make low-cost calls to landlines and mobile directly from your PS Vita.

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

Skype Video Calling for PS Vita

As you know, PS Vita is equipped with a 5” OLED touchscreen, dual analog sticks, precise rear touch pad, two cameras and a built-in microphone that can be used with any Skype-certified headset.

To help walk you through the application, check out the video with our friend, fellow game enthusiast Fatal1ty.

Please visit www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-ps-vita for more information on Skype features for PS Vita. For feedback or questions please visit Skype Support. Happy gaming!

* Certain games/applications will not be able to “pause” during a call.”

+ OverTaker on April 24th, 2012 at 8:33 pm said:

Wow I have had my skype account for about 5-6 years now, never did nothing with it but tonight my wife (in Seattle) is talking to her mom(in Tennessee) on the Ps vita and loving it. First thing she did was to hold the ps vita for the first time ever. And show off all the new clothes she just bough, she’s walking and talking and having a blast with this new app Just won’t to give a big THANK YOU for putting a big smile on her face.

+ Gamemotoman on April 24th, 2012 at 9:33 pm said:

It’s okay but I am not a big fan of the PlayStationVista or any other handheld game system

+ Sirynx77 on April 24th, 2012 at 10:12 pm said:

Whoa!!! Microsoft was OK to have this on a competitor’s device? I wonder if there was a deal struck.

M$: You get Skype for Vita, we get Blu-Ray for next Xbox.
Sony: Deal
M$: We crush Nintendo
Sony: U Got It Dude!!!

+ Y2kVirus on April 24th, 2012 at 10:17 pm said:

Hi, Thank You!!!

I’ve noticed if you reject a call after a second of pressing reject you can hear a second of distorted voice.
when your in full-screen video chat it would be cool if there was a retract button for the menu cause scrolling in full-screen is kinda cool.
and yeah like other people were saying IM and photo transfer for people on a pc to send photos would be cool too, oh and wasn’t sure but i thought that when you have disable mic checked when you press and hold the ps button that it would disable the mic entirely. just trying to help a bit.

Once Again Thank You to EVERYONE that made it possible!!! It is Simply Awesome!!!

+ GODFATHERTIG on April 24th, 2012 at 10:39 pm said:

THANKYOU for giving us skype!

+ GODFATHERTIG on April 24th, 2012 at 10:47 pm said:

HTML5 and youtube and a job well done!

+ Nerroth on April 24th, 2012 at 11:32 pm said:

The voice and video work pretty well so far, though it would be handy if the ability to send and recieve text-based messages could be added at some point.

(Actually, any sort of Vita-tailored IM app would be welcome; at present, trying to use web-based services like ebuddy don’t seem to work overly well with the current version of the web browser.)

+ furystylee on April 25th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Just used Skype and it’s working great! THANKS! Too bad it came out the day I got back from my trip :)

+ GGCAN on April 25th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Not sure why so many are asking for text chat on Skype for Vita.

We’ve already got the Vita’s Messaging built onto the system, so if I want to just text, I use that function.

If I want video chat I use Skype.

For me, it’s fine the way it is now.

Thanks for this app…greatly appreciated.

+ GGCAN on April 25th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

The memory issue with Contacts on the Vita for Skype has been addressed in the Skype Vita forums. (The Sony Blog post for Skype app on Vita, mentions if you have any problems, to issue your problems on the Skype Vita Forum support page).

The answer they had was:

“At the initial sign-in the synchronization can cause the application to exit if there are many contacts, try signing in several times with the same account to load all contacts and prevent this from happening. Should work with up to 150 contacts. ”

May be a hassle initially, but apparently works.

Also, found this on Skype forums support for Vita for anyone using a Mac with this problem:

“On your Mac go to preferences,general,then uncheck show address book contacts that should fix the vita problem should be similar on pc ”

Hope that helps

+ Shedagilos on April 25th, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

Is anyone else having difficulty setting up Skype on the Vita? Seems there’s no setup menu or anything to get profile pictures or multiple contacts! I find this app strange.

+ Shedagilos on April 25th, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

Has anyone used video chat with other Vita users?

+ GGCAN on April 25th, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

@ 135 – Shedagilos.

To set up the profile and contacts you have to do this on your PC..the Skype app on the Vita is just the app, but can’t do the features you can on your pc.

Also your next question, yes I used video chat on the Vita last night with another friend from North Carolina…I’m in Toronto and it worked quite well.

+ Shedagilos on April 27th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

@ 137-GGCAN

Thanks for your help. I’m on it.

+ MEGA_MAN_X on April 27th, 2012 at 9:14 pm said:

Thanks Sony for the Skype app, and for listening to the fans. Me and my friends are very happy with this application :)

+ bestjump on April 28th, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

The app is great!!! However, it would be even better if in the future we are also able to receive and send text messages. I don’t understand why this is not added from the get go…

+ Quiana-3000 on April 28th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

i love it

+ EDWIN427 on May 9th, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

i just want to know what other social networks can i use in the ps vita cause im in a hard decition between a laptop or a ps vita i wat to know if the ps vita is avaible to make video chat and in what social network

+ JimmyHACK on April 24th, 2012 at 6:05 am said:

YAY! Good store update week coming our way. Now i wonder what the comment trolls will cry about….. see comments below to find out :)

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

Thanks, JimmyHACK. Be sure to download the application as soon as it’s available!

+ etur0 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:07 am said:

Awesome and about time also I thought this was suppose to be a launch app

+ JTLB925 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:10 am said:

That looks really cool!

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

It is! Can’t wait for you to try it out!

+ AndreaB on April 24th, 2012 at 6:16 am said:

Finally – it was about time….

+ BiezulbubBill69 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:17 am said:

Awesome news can’t wait to try it out!!!

+ langdon on April 24th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

Awesome! Just need an HTML5 browser on my Vita now, and I can do something crazy like cancel my Verizon contract and get rid of my Android phone.

+ RidleysBox on April 24th, 2012 at 6:20 am said:

Oh look, something that wasn’t in “The Drop” that so many people complained about not coming out this week.

+ thunderbear on April 24th, 2012 at 6:23 am said:

Awesome news! I was hoping this would happen and it did. I use Skype all the time and this is fantastic news for me.

+ etur0 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

@langdon I believe the vita does have HTML5 support

+ dFUSE on April 24th, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

Does it come with trophies? :D

+ Sir_H3X3N on April 24th, 2012 at 6:29 am said:

Haha, I have called Sony about this multiple times over the past two months, And if i remember correctly, it was only a few days back that i last called and asked about the Skype app, People at the call box do not know jack about what is coming and they never know until it is actually, out, If they are lucky lol, But Bravo Bravo, I am VERY happy that Skype is finally going to be out on the Vita, Now the only two main things people need is HTML 5 Browsing and also PS1/PlayStation Classic’s being compatible with the Vita, Such as the oh i would say 3 or 4 games i spent a total of around 60$ to play yea?

+ MI_Titan27 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:30 am said:

Thank u, now most people will quit complaining on these forums!!

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on April 24th, 2012 at 6:33 am said:

Any chance of a update to PS3’s firmware to allow for Streaming Vita games to PS3?

+ MK24ever on April 24th, 2012 at 6:35 am said:

Will this come to Europe at the same time?

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

The Skype application will be available in Europe on April 25. Be sure to try it out as soon as it’s available on the PlayStation Store. :)

+ SMJ_cuba_AMS on April 24th, 2012 at 6:39 am said:

Any chance the Playstation 3 will get this app?

+ etur0 on April 24th, 2012 at 6:43 am said:

@Sir_H3X3N what I thought the vita had HTML 5 browser I know it doesn’t have flash because of adobe because the stop supporting flash on mobile devices and only focus on flash for pc

+ onslaughtree on April 24th, 2012 at 6:47 am said:

Lmbo. When I saw this update, all I could think of were 2 things. 1) Everyone has been asking for this App, this will make alot of vita owners so happy. 2) Everyone has been asking for this App, lets see what complaint they move on to next. Anyway, great work sony. I too have not upgraded from my PspGo to the Vita. I have over 25 ps1 classics, 15 Psp full games, 30 Minis and I play them alot on my go. So as always, Keep on Gamin.

+ Elvick_ on April 24th, 2012 at 6:49 am said:

@17: Amen, now they’ll just complain about something else… but at least it’s one less thing that I and others have to deal with reading about.

+ Type-F- on April 24th, 2012 at 6:50 am said:

Awesome! I actually use this feature on my phone or pc. It’s cool that you can multi-task with it. Will be pretty awesome when Resistance comes out and cam with my buddies…..I hope one day they add a feature to have it active in the corner while playing so you can see your friend’s reaction when you owning him online. Would be so awesome!!!!!!

+ langdon on April 24th, 2012 at 6:53 am said:

@etur0 It doesn’t have *proper* html5 support. They should just bone up and use webkit. Do some googling, also youtube dot com watch?v=NgnokZ5ygsQ

+ Jimm_West on April 24th, 2012 at 6:53 am said:

OMG SO HYPED!!!!!! Does anybody else notice in the video its an awkward convo between the guy and his friends? lol but anyway FINALLY SKYPE!!!!!! Now i wonder if other social networking sites will try to get an app on vita such as ooVoo etc.

+ bharken on April 24th, 2012 at 7:00 am said:

BOOM! The best app so far for the PS Vita! Viva la Vita! :)

Manrique Brenes's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on April 24th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Viva la Vita indeed, bharken! Can’t wait for you to try out the app. :)

+ DarkOne_PR on April 24th, 2012 at 7:10 am said:

thanks for this sony keep the good work!

+ Firepowerr on April 24th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

There it is for all you Vita nay-sayers. JUST BE PATIENT, and you will get what you want. :)

+ mystery_sk8er on April 24th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

OK, now I all need is for Sony to let us change our ID either free like Steam or for a small fee like XBL.
I have to much purchased items tied up to this account to make a new one.

+ tylerh1701 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

Thank you, finally! Now people can STFU about it!

+ nv_Los on April 24th, 2012 at 7:24 am said:

Hell Yeah!

+ Viewtiful_Josh on April 24th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

Aww, I know I’m not supposed to say this but F**K YEAH!!! It’s seemed like forever waiting for this thing! SO excited. Thaaaank you!

+ revolutionx88 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

Great, another app that I’ll enjoy using. :)

+ jd1900 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

Too bad I can’t get it. I even used Skype from my PSP, but now I can’t, just because my country has no access to PS Store. I can’t download anything: no Twitter, no Facebook, NO GAMES!

Please Sony! Fix this! Every country needs at least a “Lite” version of the store. It’s even more important now -with the multimedia capabilities of the Vita- than it was before.

(HELP ME (US)! http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4679982)

+ dimy93 on April 24th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

no skype chat????

+ RoyalStallion on April 24th, 2012 at 7:37 am said:

Finally, now I have fewer reasons to put down my PS Vita!! Now I just need to stream PS3 games to my PS Vita. ( Disgaea 3 Cross-play or save data sharing would work too..)