Driveclub

God of War: Ascension – Multiplayer Announcement Live From Santa Monica Studio

Todd Papy's Avatar + Posted by Todd Papy on Apr 30, 2012 // Game Director, God of War: Ascension

Like God of War

Hello PlayStation fans! As I mentioned on the 19th, at 8 AM PDT (11 AM EDT) today we’ll be streaming live from Santa Monica Studios, where our team is busy building the next evolution in the franchise. I will be talking with Mr. PlayStation Blog himself, Jeff Rubenstein, about God of War: Ascension and my past experience with the franchise. And of course I will be answering some of the questions from fans on Twitter. As promised, if we read your question live on air, we’ll be reaching out to you (via @PlayStation) so we can send you a signed God of War: Ascension poster.

But wait, there’s more! During our live broadcast, I’ll be sharing the scoop with Jeff, and of course all of you, about our brutal new multiplayer mode. Yes, that’s right. God of War: Ascension will feature a ground-breaking new online multiplayer mode. We wouldn’t do multiplayer in God of War unless we knew we could do it right. That’s why I’m extremely excited to finally be able to talk publicly about it and share all the gory details with you live. I even have some exclusive gameplay footage to share with you, so be sure to tune in to see it all live.

And if you missed our announcement on the 19th, be sure to check out the announce trailer and initial game details here before the show starts. Stay tuned because we go live at 8 AM Pacific!

Let us know what you’re looking forward to most in God of War: Ascension, and what you think of the new multiplayer mode!

145 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Shacojin on April 30th, 2012 at 6:06 am said:

CAN’t WAIT!

+ Kratosmode on April 30th, 2012 at 6:08 am said:

I am super excited!

+ GamerMoney on April 30th, 2012 at 6:08 am said:

idk how i’ll fell w multiplayer

+ onslaughtree on April 30th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

Interested to see where they go with the multiplayer. I still think that some games do not need multiplayer, so lets see. I loved all god of war’s so far, 3 being my favorite. Hoping for a big sendoff to the ps3 with this one. Keep on Gamin.

+ yazter on April 30th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

Multiplayer in a God of War game? Ew.

We’ll wait and see, since 90% of the SP games that tacked on multiplayer promised uniqueness yet they all were awful. BioShock 2 and Resident Evil Versus Mode comes to mind. Bu

As long as the single player part isn’t affected or reduced, and no dumb online trophies are enforced, it shouldn’t bother me, but that’s rarely the case. A VERY few games, such as Dead Space 2 and Uncharted 2, added multiplayer yet kept the trophies almost entirely singleplayer with an awesome SP campaign.

+ Mercenary09 on April 30th, 2012 at 6:25 am said:

Please Santa Monica dont make trophies related to multiplayer. I’ve got the Plat from all the other GOW’s and I don’t want to be forced to play MP and reach some rank or so to get this one. Do what Naughty dog does.

+ dFUSE on April 30th, 2012 at 6:26 am said:

Fantastic news! Here’s hoping you can play the campaign in CO-OP!

+ RandomReduX on April 30th, 2012 at 6:27 am said:

No bloody thank you. One more MP mode for me to ignore – and they’ve already come out and said this game’s single player mode would be shorter (oh,but that’s not the MP mode’s fault – sure).

Has anyone else noticed that every time a single player franchise decides to tack on the multiplayer, their announcement always sounds exactly the same? “Oh no, don’t worry, OURS will be done right!”

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on April 30th, 2012 at 6:31 am said:

Hey Sony, why not just get it over with and turn God of War into a shooter?

…Only shooters sell rite?

+ DarkOne_PR on April 30th, 2012 at 6:33 am said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOTSS!!!! AWESOME!
Hater gonna hate like this guy above me! Keep making GoW better with More Replay value! :)

+ gamer_316 on April 30th, 2012 at 6:33 am said:

well I asked about 3 questions on Twitter & 1 just got answered in the post itself, hope 1 of my other 2 questions get answered =)

+ XIIIWARRIOR on April 30th, 2012 at 6:35 am said:

So looking toward to this, I already pre ordered mine today.

+ dawntsm on April 30th, 2012 at 6:36 am said:

i just hope that mp won’t affect the sp that’s all…you’ve proven your skills but please try to make an awesome sp mode as in the past we are with you all the way anyway :)

+ Alyyse on April 30th, 2012 at 6:37 am said:

i’m so ready for this

+ hvitdverg on April 30th, 2012 at 6:39 am said:

Can’t wait for another adventure with my favorite monster slayer KRATOS!

+ Genterman on April 30th, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

The best game ( in my opinion ) BACK!

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on April 30th, 2012 at 6:58 am said:

@ RandomReduX – “….and they’ve already come out and said this game’s single player mode would be shorter”

If that is true then i will 100% ignore this game no matter what. The only thing i can do against idiot sony-exec decisions like this is to hit them where it hurts the most – in the wallet by not buying this game, not even used.

I am also worried with what’s coming next gen. I can see a day coming soon where there will not be 1 single Sony made, story driven game :(

+ ItaChu on April 30th, 2012 at 7:02 am said:

my god why is there mp in everything now sheesh i dont want to fight against people online your online is terrible :(

+ dawntsm on April 30th, 2012 at 7:03 am said:

as you can read from everyone we are very consered about the SP mode. Santa monica please don’t sacrifice anything for the MP! IT’S NOT NECESSARY AFTER ALL!!!

+ GamerMoney on April 30th, 2012 at 7:09 am said:

screw it….GO NUTS W MULTIPLAYER, MAKE SP WEAPONS ATTAINABLE THROUGH MP

+ eilegz on April 30th, 2012 at 7:11 am said:

i hope no online passes…

+ Link01 on April 30th, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Now this is awesome :3. Please say there is split screen.

+ StealthReborn– on April 30th, 2012 at 7:18 am said:

Hey Jeff,

I don’t use Twitter so I was wondering if you could ask this question for me…

Q: Is there going to be an Ultimate Edition like they did with God of War 3?

Thanks! =)

+ PuppetShoJustice on April 30th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

I have to say I’m disappointed by the news that all the playable characters are male. This was the one chance the franchise had to have a tough chick flaying through hoards of baddies and being awesome. But women are clearly reduced to topless playthings in this game’s world.

Also; doesn’t the fact that there are several god-tier mortal fighters beating up deities kind of cheapen Kratos as a character a bit? At the very least it cheapens the Gods themselves as apparently any random scrub with a big enough sword can combat them effectively. Kratos need not apply.

+ Carlos2137 on April 30th, 2012 at 7:30 am said:

please focus on story mode, online mode is not to gauge a good game standard.
please don’t “uncharted 3″ again

+ XIIIWARRIOR on April 30th, 2012 at 7:35 am said:

Question. If there is a special edition can you please include a statue of Kratos, an awesome dynamic theme and a few avatars plus a full book of artwork? I felt robbed with the last special edition in GOW3.

+ KazeEternal on April 30th, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

Multiplayer? Really? You know Todd Pappy not every idea that comes out of the comments on the PlayStation Blog is necessarily a good idea. I’ve seen some really awful tacked on MP on games before and seems to indicate that not every game can be Uncharted 2 or dare I say Mass Effect 3.

God of War is a single player experience, now we’re going to dilute this experience by possibly doing what? Making us all a part of a spartan army fighting mythical creatures? At the very least Bioware tried to come up with an explanation as to why we were taking up the roles of N7 Operatives in the multiplayer that some how fits into the experience and this was workable. The downside is that we got about 5 locations in the single player that felt tact on and recycled simply to give us that backdrop for our theater of war.

+ XIIIWARRIOR on April 30th, 2012 at 7:37 am said:

BTW….I wouldn’t mind paying $150.00 and up for it.

+ xK1ll3rzZ on April 30th, 2012 at 7:37 am said:

Less than a half hour to the show!

Greeting from Brazil,
Jacques.

+ GamerMoney on April 30th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

PuppetShoJustice

her name is nariko, I so wish santa monica would make HS2…1dt one is so underreated

+ Alan___Oliveira on April 30th, 2012 at 7:39 am said:

THE NEW GOD OF WAR TO BE LAUNCHED ALSO PS VITA?????????? I’From Brazil my blog http://godofwarenois.blogspot.com.br/

+ Waxamin on April 30th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

20 minutes to go

+ Kryptonion-D on April 30th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

absolutely cannot wait,for god of war 3 sony santa monica had to build a new engine for the first time on the ps3 and also try and keep the high standard that god of war is…now that they just have to polish and tweak one can only imagine the masterpiece this will be,graphically if not anything else:):):)

+ uae_hunter7 on April 30th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

dont like the new idea

+ MaryDuna on April 30th, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

^___^ !

+ kratos1984 on April 30th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

@5 & 6, i totally agree. i hope they don’t implement multiplayer trophies.

+ Alan___Oliveira on April 30th, 2012 at 7:57 am said:

I waiting……….

+ Carl-G on April 30th, 2012 at 7:57 am said:

OH MY LORD! ! ! :P

+ SirTrigalot on April 30th, 2012 at 7:58 am said:

MP in GOW?! Really? Why?

+ ERC1980 on April 30th, 2012 at 7:58 am said:

Not sure on multiplayer

hope it’s done right

and like others have mentioned, no online trophies please

+ MaryDuna on April 30th, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ TSoul19 on April 30th, 2012 at 8:04 am said:

This is a must Have Game this year!! Give us a release Date please!

+ Antedeguemon_ on April 30th, 2012 at 8:04 am said:

reare tem algum br ae?

+ remanutd5 on April 30th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

i know God of War is one of the biggest sony franchises ever but this live stream announcement is really nice i think you guys should have done it with playstation all-stars battle royale and even with some big hitter psvita games

+ FearMonkey on April 30th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

*sigh*

I saw an interview on IGN with you, Todd, that you added multiplayer for replayability. You say that generally people put down the game after the first playthrough. But that is not true for many GOW players. There was already plenty of replayability. There are multiple difficulty levels. There are unlockable costumes that add new abilities for repeat playthroughs. There are Titan challenges. You just needed to add more of that type of stuff and we GOW fans would have been more than satisfied.

+ FonzoEscobar on April 30th, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

Multiplayer Beta for PS+? Please…

+ FearMonkey on April 30th, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

Todd from the stream: “People want to fight.”

God of War is about fighting yes. It’s also about puzzles and platforming. It’s everything in one luscious ball of death and violence. We don’t need the traversal simplified or dumbed-down which is what it makes you sound like you’re doing. If I misunderstood what you’re saying, please clarify. Thanks.

+ Kasquez on April 30th, 2012 at 8:32 am said:

Why ruin God of War? WHY?
Please leave multiplayer as DLC and don’t waste space on disc that could be better used with the real game.
Besides, focus on the game instead of focusing on this new costumers fishing experiment. I’m saying this as a God of War fan. God of War means Kratos kicking ass ALONE. Leave it that way. Multiplayer is not needed.

+ LADYHAWK4redwxcv on April 30th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

Love it! Glad Todd is taking good care of Kratos. I would like to see a female skin for multiplayer though, is it possible?

PAGE 1 2 3