Driveclub

Papo & Yo Dev Diary: Fantastic Realities

Vander Caballero's Avatar + Posted by Vander Caballero on May 08, 2012 // Creative Director, Minority

Hello again! Last time I was here I talked about the redesign of Monster – now I want to give everyone an even closer look at the creative and design process for Papo & Yo in our first-ever dev diary. Please take a look – you’ll get a glimpse of Minority’s office, some new ways you can interact with Monster, and even see the first prototype I designed for the game!

If you’ve been following Papo & Yo‘s development, you know that the game was inspired by my childhood in South America and my relationship with my father. But I don’t want that to be the only thing that people see when they get to play the game. Papo & Yo is also about a child’s imagination, and experiencing “fantastic realities” – transforming the real world into a special world that can both help and challenge you. I feel such joy when I play with my boy and see him imagining his toys coming to life – I hope that everyone will feel this when they play Papo & Yo.

Thank you – and stay tuned! We are working on another dev diary that will give you insight into what went into creating Papo & Yo’s music (hint: it involves a great composer and a big trip to South America). Also, be sure to look out for us at E3 again this year!

16 Comments

+ GGCAN on May 8th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Thanks for this Vander.

Until today, I hadn’t heard of this game, but after reading and watching the video, finding it really looks interesting.

Hope to see much more in the future.

+ Finaldo on May 8th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

I didn’t care much about this game until I saw Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s name and now I’m really intrigued by it, I’m hoping to see how this experiment on imagination goes. Best of lucks!

+ butcherknife on May 8th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

Any chance for a Vita version?

+ Blkant on May 8th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

Amazing really, its like a playground and at the same time reminds me a bit of when I traveled around panama.

+ Cyris on May 8th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

I love how Sony is taking all these small devs with great ideas and giving them the support they deserve.

+ Wozman23 on May 8th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

Every time I see this it looks more and more fantastic. Can’t wait for more info.

+ Enforcer_X on May 8th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

This look very interesting I look forward to playing it.

+ Baron_Von_Bonbon on May 8th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

My Boston Terrier does the same thing to me when I play games! That was a Boston terrier right? He plops right down in my lap and if I don’t let him, then he pesters me until I do.

Anyway, the project seems to be developing wonderfully. I was a little skeptical of recreating the monster seemingly so far into development, but after seeing this I think it was a good decision. Stay strong and keep on.

+ Heavenly_king on May 8th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

looks way more interesting now that back then when it was first shown. Maybe I will buy it. For me PSN games are a way to have small bursts of fun, so I buy those games that are great, and also a bit easy, so I can just relax and have a great experience.

For a challenging hardcore experience I buy Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Darksiders, etc.

I really hope this game turns out to be great, because I am very intrigued by it.

Keep the great work! :D

+ CullenX on May 8th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Anybody getting a My Neighbor Totoro vibe from this?

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on May 8th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

@ 5
I totally agree. There’s more to it than just that though. It’s not a ten dollar shooter. I’d like to see more games made with creativity, though can’t help but want them to have aspects of games I love. Like an RPG, leveling up, dungeon crawling, platforming and so on. Though local/couch co-op has been most important to me lately.

+ guitarded77 on May 8th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

Really interested after seeing some gameplay. The E3 trailer from 2011 was freaky and didn’t reveal anything, but seeing the actual game, I can’t wait to play it. Sony allows developers to take chances with new and original games like this, and we gamers reap the rewards.

+ guitain on May 8th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

This is so beautiful.
I was really happy to hear him talking about how it’s not just about him, but about the childhood of everyone. That really opened up the theme of the game for me, and only got me more interested in it than I already am.
Also the jumping house at the end was hilarious.

+ FATHASUN on May 8th, 2012 at 3:46 pm said:

Please replace “COMING SOON” with a release date of “YESTERDAY”!

+ Tremulan777 on May 9th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

man I like how this game is shaping! It looks like it’ll be like another journey experience. the team behind the game needs to take their time to make it right. You’ve got my support day one purchase.

+ p_morin on May 12th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

J’ai très hâte d’essayer ce jeu!