PlayStation Music

May 08

5730039367_354f5cbdd6_b (1)

Starhawk Out Today, MLG Tournament, All Map Packs Free!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar Posted by Dylan Jobe on May 08, 2012 // President, LightBox Interactive

May 8th is finally upon us and Starhawk is now available in stores all over North America! The team has put a lot of work into this game and we hope you all enjoy it! To celebrate the release of Starhawk, here’s a look at our launch trailer…

But, as I mentioned in my last post, the release of Starhawk is really just the beginning of our ongoing support for our international community. And to support our online multiplayer community we have some really great announcements for you all today. First, we’re honored that Major League Gaming has taken a strong interest in Starhawk with its blend of shooter and strategy gameplay, and they’re kicking things off right with a tournament worth $20,000 in prizes so get over to and sign-up! And if you missed it last night, be sure to check-out the live stream that we did for the MLG Starhawk exhibition with pro gamers Tsquared, Hastr0, and GoldenBoyFTW! We cover single-player, co-op, and of course hot multiplayer action. Witty commentary supplied by me, of course ;-).

Secondly, and this is the announcement that you guys probably were *NOT* expecting…there was a lot of discussion here at LightBox Interactive and Sony Santa Monica on how best to support the community and keep our player base all together as one cohesive group. We really didn’t like how in Warhawk when we released a new map pack, it forced these divisions on our players. And after we released three expansions, our player community was pretty fractured. With Starhawk that ends! We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime! And we’ve already started the early stages of our next map pack for you guys. Check out these very early sketches from the new planet of Cypress! A lush, swampy world that’s home to an abandoned research facility that many years ago was responsible for researching the mysteries of Rift Energy.

Starhawk: Cypress Map pack

Now certainly we’ll have some paid DLC content in the future as well as our free map packs, but we’re still playing around with what that will be. We’re going to be looking to see what the player feedback is on Starhawk in the coming weeks to help steer the DLC that we develop for you all. This is our commitment to all of you, the players. I hope you all get a chance to enjoy Starhawk – not only with today’s retail release but for the months and years to come!

+ guillerm7 on May 8th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

I really like to idea of free maps!

+ Czr_PDM on May 8th, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

well i also dislike the fact that L.E. are only available in some territories in this case only one, but furthermore the game had a very very disappointing distribution, i was already convinced to buy the game in the regular version but on the release date but cant be found in my country so why would we be surprised if the Exclusive L.E. is only marketed in the US territory?

may be they think we wont find out or may be they just don’t even care for the small markets like the ones in Latin America, just look at the Playstation blog in “latam” and you wont find a single entry regarding Starhawk’s release date

+ rd-kryten on May 8th, 2012 at 4:12 pm said:

Thank you and Thank you again for this wonderful announcement!!!

For everyone here: please spread this news around. If you participate on other message forums, make a post about it. If you’re on Twitter, tweet it out!!
Let other gamers know what a great game and value Starhawk is bringing to the table.

Hopefully more gamers will purchase their copy and join in on this fun! Let’s explode the sales!!!

+ darth_soul on May 8th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

Another quick question:

I had the original Warhawk (PS1) already due to Playstation Plus. I have now redeemed my Limited Edition code. It came up under downloads and downloaded again just fine, but since it was already counted as purchased (red icon) due to PS+, what does that mean for this code redemption if my PS+ account expires? Will Warhawk remain available due to this code redemption, or will it vanish due to having been “purchased” before via PS+?

+ cobrafang on May 8th, 2012 at 4:56 pm said:

+ EmmettGraves on May 8th, 2012 at 5:35 pm said:

This is great! See you all on the battlefield!

+ Lightyears on May 8th, 2012 at 7:07 pm said:

Love the game, free map packs are awesome! One thing is still missing…can you please add in the ability to listen to music off the XMB like in Warhawk. The best thing was being able to listen to a soundtrack personaliy made Iron Eagle style to fly to. Now, this isn’t a deal breaker by no means ( I already bought two copies of the game) but it would be nice!

+ Heavenly_king on May 8th, 2012 at 7:20 pm said:

Dylan, talk to Sony so they advertise the game,…. PLEASE!!!!!

+ XSpike on May 8th, 2012 at 7:35 pm said:

Can’t wait to pick up my copy when it releases tomorrow, was going to wait a month or so before getting the game but with free map DLC I’m glad I’ll be supporting this game from the start :) N try get some of my friends to buy into the game

+ eescala7 on May 8th, 2012 at 8:30 pm said:

I’ll be honest here, I wasn’t planning on purchasing this game until a price drop. I have to say that decisions like this made me change my mind, I just order it. I will support a developer if they show a true interest in the people that invest their money to play these games. Thank you.

+ zinG-walker on May 8th, 2012 at 10:24 pm said:

WOW this game never fails to surprize me!

+ Crazymanwalking1 on May 8th, 2012 at 11:36 pm said:

Just started playing it a while ago and damn it is awesome!!! GOTY for sure. sucks that gamestop didnt have a midnight release this game more than deserves it.

+ Sirynx77 on May 9th, 2012 at 12:25 am said:

Great news, the Limited Edition is awesome. I mainly decided to get it due to the soundtrack.

+ MrBeatdown on May 9th, 2012 at 1:38 am said:

Awesome! Thanks for this. This makes me all the more eager to pick this game up.

I don’t mind DLC, but I’ve seen it go wrong. I could never find a match in Uncharted 2 that used the DLC maps, and in Transformers: War for Cybertron, I was kicked from the game for not having a map when the DLC was included in the standard map rotation.

It’s pretty frustrating when those things happen, so I really appreciate this.

+ PlatinumAura on May 9th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

just got my copy but of course it had to install a patch. But whatever I’ve got the limited edition stuff CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME!!!!

+ randyphx on May 9th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

So maps are free, so when can we see some DLC coming. I will need lots of DLC since I will be playing this for years like on Warhawk. ☺

+ Mightymike230 on May 10th, 2012 at 2:11 pm said:

More Games should offer free DLC, It not only adds more of a selling point for the game but promotes the growth of publisher and enthusiast’s relationship.

+ roddy281 on May 12th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Boy of Boy what can i say Thanks LBI for this amazing game you have made out of the 70 games i own only 2 stand out the most witch is Warhawk and Starhawk ,and Free DLC is just the topping of the cake ,Plus i would like to add it has been a pleasure to play the beta and so was my clan (the*swarm) Everyone of us loved it and all invested in it ,In my eyes this is the only game you need to own ,thanks again you guy rock !

+ KingTygerVII on May 18th, 2012 at 8:30 pm said:

Dont know where to give you feedback/ideas on Future Maps or Updates, but here I will say:

1. Maps with Underground tunnels, like in a desert, you drop from above to a tunnel, not very long but it has corridors and stuff, you pop in another place, great for ambush and to lay down mines when someone drops in. try not to make the holes to obvious, like you see sand but step on it and you go down, only visible in the minimap with a dot.

2. How about a MODE with Sabotage style, its like Capture the Flag but you go to the enemies HQ and plant a bomb and the defensive team has to deactivate or boom!, i know its a TRIED formula, but given Starhawk Massive Maps and Fortress style game play, it makes it perfect.

3. More Weapons, nice selection but not enough in my case, I felt I had more in Starhawk, dont know why, more vehicles, how about a Hawk with Passenger, to just carry people, only flares, no weapons. a Zip line would be nice to, only available to places below you.

4. a few maps from Starhawk, I LOVED the town map, getting on top of the bell tower and sniping people in planes and stuff was awesome hahahha.

well thats my wish list, i got more ideas, but just saying the 60% possible to do.

+ CEMc-98 on May 28th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

No way. FREE??? YOU, sir, are thinking ahead. People like free things, why doesn’t the rest of Sony understand this? but THIS!! so glad I bought this. bought the limited edition code off of Ebay cuz i forgot to preorder. Just wanna say, you guys did a great job on Huxley Ardin. Kudos!

+ supermoc10 on May 8th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

FREE……Map packs? In this generation?! I love you Dylan, LightBox and Sony.
Hopefully the paid DLC will be like big expansions with Maps, weapons, modes etc…

+ MPaullin on May 8th, 2012 at 7:21 am said:

Was definitely not expecting free maps! I would have gladly paid. It is really refreshing to see a developer that respects the consumers like this. I’m excited to pick this game up today.

+ JMB626 on May 8th, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

+ DJHaole on May 8th, 2012 at 7:23 am said:

+ favian on May 8th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

This should be the new standard. I’ll be supporting with a purchase, the beta was outstanding

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

thank you!

+ Enforcer_X on May 8th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

+ dredre8424 on May 8th, 2012 at 7:30 am said:

Sweet #Starhawk you guys are awesome :)

+ RichieBoy on May 8th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

I never got on the beta, but I’d already bought and paid for my pre-order this morning before this fantastic news, can’t wait until Friday when it’s out here in the UK!

+ Erebus-of-Dark on May 8th, 2012 at 7:39 am said:

WOW!!! Now that is amazine news. Thanks so much and a special knowing nod to Dylan. This just proves again how truly innovative and dedicated LBI is proving to be as a new developer!!!

+ longevity on May 8th, 2012 at 7:39 am said:

great decision with the free map packs. thanks!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

its important to us that the community doesn’t get fragmented

+ Syrlis on May 8th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

That is ****ing AWESOME news! I was gonna wait until the re-release to get the game and all the dlc on one disc, but now I will be picking this up this year. I have to blow up some Max Payne 3 multiplayer first, but as soon as that gets stale I will TOTALLY be down for some Starhawk! Thank you

+ bushisprez on May 8th, 2012 at 7:44 am said:

Free Map Packs Mr. Jobe? You sir have got my money.
Hope you guys improved on the beta alot of matches seemed to be “vanilla stalemates” in CTF. I’m excited for coop and story though.

+ Kylote on May 8th, 2012 at 7:46 am said:

Nice! Now I don’t have to miss out on playing new maps because my friends don’t have them :)

+ Falaut on May 8th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

Fantastic news

You know what, I have to post this. I had this game pre ordered at EBGames and went in yesterday and cancelled my pre order. Why? Well the answer is two fold. First, I’m rather unhappy with Sony/Playstation because of all the PSVita issues/broken promises, primarily the PSOne classics support. I know this is unfair to Dylan and his crew, but being an older gamer I very much understand that one way to get your voice heard is with your wallet. Second, and most importantly, was the argument/issue I have towards these “types” of games and their reliance on what I feel is DLC gouging, where I go out and spend $60 and after 8 months I see myself spending $15×4 on top to have new maps, for a total of $120.

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Understood. Thanks for the note.

+ shika1983 on May 8th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

I was not expecting free maps……. awesomesauce !!!

(payable) DLC wise ……. Has to be an APC in there somewhere

Also whether DLC or not ….. Collection has to return !!! If this game wasn’t made with Collection in mind then i’d be very shocked !!!

On a totally separate note….. will Cloud that Hawks can fly (and hide) in return? One thing I can’t believe wasn’t transfered from WH

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

Maybe. The Warhawk APC was really a blast

+ Falaut on May 8th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

What is the issue with, for example, releasing a game that when bought brand new, comes with a code than entitles you to all future DLC? You eliminate a large chunk of the used game “problem”, because people will hang onto that game knowing is true and great value. Company happy, customer happy.

So having said all that, let me finish with this. After I hit “post comment” I’m going downstairs to my car and going out to get this game. Yes, I know I lost out on the pre order jazz, but oh well. Well done Dylan and company!!!

+ Falaut on May 8th, 2012 at 7:49 am said:

arggg! damn you spelling and grammar!

+ AntDaGamer on May 8th, 2012 at 7:51 am said:

this is just wonderful news! Waiting for my wife to come home and bring me my disk! Can’t wait to support! Ill be streaming this live at if anyone wants to check the game out!

+ Cerbus666 on May 8th, 2012 at 7:51 am said:

Awesome news!

+ acwey on May 8th, 2012 at 7:51 am said:

I was expecting a PSN digital release announcement. Is that happening?

Now this new is great all well.

+ spunnups on May 8th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

Love It!! Going to pick up my copy now!

+ MendicantBias7 on May 8th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

Wow! What a great way to support the community. This is just amazing, you guys at Sony, Lightbox, Santa Monica, and everyone else connected to the game; now it just needs to be 10 so that GameStop is open!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

its almost 10 here!

+ butcherknife on May 8th, 2012 at 7:58 am said:

Wow! I like the idea of free map packs as a way to keep the player base together. Makes sense. But have you considered having an option for donations for the free DLC?

FYI – I pre-ordered Starhawk (I really liked the beta)…amazon tells me it is out for delivery to my house. :)

+ yami930 on May 8th, 2012 at 8:12 am said:

That’s awesome! Now I’m wondering what can you possibly put paid that wont spilt the community either, like I would think vehicles can’t be payed because that would seperate the players as well. We’ll have to wait and see huh. I think one thing LBI should do for Starhawk is implement a Warhawk mode (similar to picking a hardcore mode in other shooters) where its Starhawk but more influenced and closer to Warhawk gameplay with pre built bases, pre built capturable areas, that stick on aim from close enough distance, equippable knife, players drop packs when killed with their weapons and filled with rift energy, limited build and battle (maybe restricting walls, respawn beacons, vehicle depots, and auto ground turrets vs infantry. just keep big turrets maybe have them pre- built or something) with obvious starhawk elements intact such as pod spawnig, sprinting and more, plus 1 mode I’d like to see is Hero mode return as well as many maps based on Warhawk maps, like I’d love to see Archipelago done over in starhawk art style and part of some new planet.

+ muzzar69 on May 8th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

Free!? Wow certainly did not expect that. Thank you MR Jobe! I was not planing on getting this since I’m not big on MP games, but just for this I’m picking it up to show my appreciation. Thank you Light box, Sony Santa Monica and Sony for giving back to your fans! Far too many companies these days nickel and dime their loyal customers with online passes, and don’t get me started on disk based content.
So thank you so much for giving back to your fans, and see you on the battlefield!
I’ll be the one dropping a tank on your head.

+ D-Squad3 on May 8th, 2012 at 8:16 am said:

Free maps is great, it will definitely keep the community intact instead of separating it! GREAT news!

However, MLG is a bit unorganized imo.

+ dmanjj2 on May 8th, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

That’s unbelievable!!! LBI, best Sony developer EVER!!!!

+ CBreeze5g on May 8th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

Not only do we get all that awesome stuff with the limited edition but now we going to get free map packs. LBI you guys are too awesome. I really hope you guys are relaxing a little because you guys put a lot of work into making this game.

+ PowerCorruption on May 8th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

“We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime!”

By the way, the DLC for Warhawk was totally worth it, but this is some amazing news!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

Don’t worry. We’ll think of other ways to get your $$$ in our pockets! :)

+ Emerald_Swords on May 8th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

You guys are the best!!!! Seriously going to pick up a copy XD