Deus Ex Mankind Divided

May 08

5730039367_354f5cbdd6_b (1)

Starhawk Out Today, MLG Tournament, All Map Packs Free!

Dylan Jobe's Avatar Posted by Dylan Jobe on May 08, 2012 // President, LightBox Interactive

May 8th is finally upon us and Starhawk is now available in stores all over North America! The team has put a lot of work into this game and we hope you all enjoy it! To celebrate the release of Starhawk, here’s a look at our launch trailer…

But, as I mentioned in my last post, the release of Starhawk is really just the beginning of our ongoing support for our international community. And to support our online multiplayer community we have some really great announcements for you all today. First, we’re honored that Major League Gaming has taken a strong interest in Starhawk with its blend of shooter and strategy gameplay, and they’re kicking things off right with a tournament worth $20,000 in prizes so get over to and sign-up! And if you missed it last night, be sure to check-out the live stream that we did for the MLG Starhawk exhibition with pro gamers Tsquared, Hastr0, and GoldenBoyFTW! We cover single-player, co-op, and of course hot multiplayer action. Witty commentary supplied by me, of course ;-).

Secondly, and this is the announcement that you guys probably were *NOT* expecting…there was a lot of discussion here at LightBox Interactive and Sony Santa Monica on how best to support the community and keep our player base all together as one cohesive group. We really didn’t like how in Warhawk when we released a new map pack, it forced these divisions on our players. And after we released three expansions, our player community was pretty fractured. With Starhawk that ends! We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime! And we’ve already started the early stages of our next map pack for you guys. Check out these very early sketches from the new planet of Cypress! A lush, swampy world that’s home to an abandoned research facility that many years ago was responsible for researching the mysteries of Rift Energy.

Starhawk: Cypress Map pack

Now certainly we’ll have some paid DLC content in the future as well as our free map packs, but we’re still playing around with what that will be. We’re going to be looking to see what the player feedback is on Starhawk in the coming weeks to help steer the DLC that we develop for you all. This is our commitment to all of you, the players. I hope you all get a chance to enjoy Starhawk – not only with today’s retail release but for the months and years to come!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ PowerCorruption on May 8th, 2012 at 8:30 am said:

Also, with the new map packs, will they be updated by patch…or will we have to download them through the store?

There were a lot of people who didn’t download the free map packs in Assassin’s Creed, or free DLC for Resistance, MAG, and other games. I think it would be best to implement them by patch.

+ scyster on May 8th, 2012 at 8:48 am said:

Seriously Sony, keep stuff like this up…people like free things. I am extremely happy about this. Cant wait to play!!

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

Free is fun!

+ stewbrew on May 8th, 2012 at 7:14 am said:

this is the best game to ever come out now you guys are the best!!

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

kind words, thanks!

+ WarHawk_ on May 8th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Free map packs… This is why I love being part of the Warhawk/Starhawk community, not only do the poeple over at lightbox stick close to it’s customers trough all kinds of social activities.. They also give us free stuff just for the fun of it.. Starhawk is an awesome game, and I just wanted to say thanks Dylan and everyone there at lightbox..

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

that is the idea! And there will be more stuff, no doubt.

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

wow, you’re a fun guy! Thanks!

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

the anger…sorry you feel that way

+ KeefRiffards on May 8th, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

The game is amazing, and the free maps makes it even better. Awesome work guys!

+ WarHawk_ on May 8th, 2012 at 9:05 am said:

oh and btw @BLUExEYEDxSLICKT I can understand why you would want to buy a digital copy of the game, but even so it would have been nice for you to have been mature about your comment and not have to post something so rude within the comment section. I feel sorry that you do not want to purchase the game, it’s an awesome game with a huge community (filled with nice/friendly people). But that is the choice you made.

As a little advice for next time, your allowed to state your opinion but don’t be a jerk about it.

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:09 am said:

its ok. We are thick skinned…but thanks

+ jason_ac on May 8th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

This is one of the best trailers you’ve made, good work! The MLG event was fantastic!

Wow, free maps! That’s pretty awesome. Though I wouldn’t complain if it was just a few free, but later on had to start paying.

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

Glad you liked it!

+ WarHawk_ on May 8th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

And yeah this is one of the most awesome trailers you guys have made thus far =P

+ BLUExEYEDxSLICKT on May 8th, 2012 at 9:09 am said:

I mean I don’t get this logic. You guys complain of those idiots that break the copyright laws and make several of the disc games cause they have the DISC but to fight that you could start making it digital only on psn and no one can copy those games easy. But you guys stick with disc were the hackers have fun copying the game over and over. I have 2 ps3’s and my kids play on the second one. I buy games on psn and I get a copy on my ps3 and then I put the other copy on the second ps3 for my kids and I pay the price of one disc game to do that. Store route I am forced to buy the game twice and that upsets me. I am a digital guy so I lose out on so many games cause you developers are being selfish to keep it off psn. What else you want as developers you guys already forced sony down to two activations from 5 and now you still keep the new games off psn? What gives?

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

When and if we have a PSN version of the game we’ll make sure to let everyone know. Till then, it doesn’t exist. I understand your desire for a digital version…its just not available at this time. Sorry.

+ guitarded77 on May 8th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

Picked up my copy before I got to work this morning… it’s sitting on my desk staring at me, telling me “Let’s go home early… I want to play”. And I tell it “Shut up Starhawk, I have important work to do… like commenting on the PS Blog”.

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

Do it. Do it.

+ LucasKobe3peat on May 8th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

LBI’s just great, they developed a whole new and creative way to play, within outstanding graphics, and they even more and more show how they care and made all this masterpiece for us, the players. Thank you LBI by caring and supporting us, thank you sony for trusting in that amazing team

+ phatmillips on May 8th, 2012 at 9:21 am said:

Wow, some people find a way to complain about anything. I guess it’s true that you really cant make everyone happy. Im off to pick up my pre-order at EBgames in a few…

do you think we can get some community play dates in the future? pros (testers/devs) vs us joes sometime?

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:29 am said:

I’m sure we’ll set some up but I don’t have the details right now

+ KidCommando on May 8th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Just picked up my copy and waiting for the updates and installation to finish.

Amazing news to hear the map packs will be FREE. That is just so freaking unheard of when some companies are charging for color swaps nowadays.

LBI, you guys put other devs to shame and will always have my support with Starhawk and future projects. There is no other development team that makes me feel like gamers are making games for other gamers.

+ Fuath on May 8th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

I have to say WOW, you guys made something beautiful and I’m proud to be a PS3 owner. Thank you Mr Starhawk for not being another COD or HALO. Is this love I’m feeling?

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

The map packs are free because we felt that we splintered the fanbase in Starhawk and left some players behind…and they never returned. With this strategy we’ll release the packs for free but continue to charge for other types of DLC like skins, paintjobs, new vehicles, new structures, etc. They won’t be as expensive as the Warhawk packs. Hopefully this will give players more choice and also keep the player base more intact and longer lasting.

+ KoD7085 on May 8th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

+1 Awesome, glad to have pre-ordered this game! Free map packs is pretty awesome, and very unexpected (especially considering the time and effort that goes into making them). I don’t think we, as fans, could thank you enough for that. For the time I could put into the beta, it was fun, can’t wait to get home and fire this up!

+ Blkant on May 8th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

I hope this doesn’t mean that we won’t see vehicle expansions like we did in warhawk… The Dropship and APC were some of my absolute favorite things in warhawk in the end, and with starhawk you now have the potential of new buildings too even. Or even new weapons like we saw with the wrench and biofield in warhawk. Please keep those kinds of expansions in mind too.

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:59 am said:

We will have that sort of thing

+ letherclad on May 8th, 2012 at 9:11 am said:

Free map packs sounds like an awesome idea, Sony really is at the forefront of consumer appreciation, I hope it works out for you guys! Can’t wait for my copy to arrive!

I agree with what an earlier commenter said, if you implement the map packs with updates it will further ensure that the online community does not get splintered, keep that in mind.

Who has a PS3 and refuses to buy disc-based games? The PSN is great and all but thats just silly

+ uncleniccius on May 8th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

Thanks guys! I won’t be buying on release unfortunately (sorry) as I have exams, a holiday, and a lack of money. I will pick it up for my Birthday in July, as I believe practice like this should be rewarded. Again thanks guys! :)

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

+ muzzar69 on May 8th, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

BTW we need some gaming with the dev nights! I wish those types of events were set up more often, last time I had a chance to compete in one was back when KZ2 released!

+ Harvard Bonin on May 8th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

I’m sure we’ll set some of these up and we’ll let you know

+ Hellowutsup5 on May 8th, 2012 at 9:15 am said:

A gamer knows what a gamer wants, Thank you fellow gamers at LBI!
Starhawk….For Gamers, By Gamers.

PAGE 1 2 3