Far Cry 4

PixelJunk 4am: Your Virtual Audio Canvas is Live Today

Rowan Parker's Avatar + Posted by Rowan Parker on May 15, 2012 // PixelJunk 4am Lead Designer

Do you have a PlayStation Move motion controller? Do you like music? Are waffles delicious? If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions, I have some delicious news for you!

PixelJunk 4am will be released later today on PSN for $9.99! The FREE PixelJunk 4am Viewer app will also be available to download today, and will enable you to stream the full library of 4am visualizers and songs from performers around the world.

If you’re not already familiar with PixelJunk 4am, it’s a Virtual Audio Canvas that uses PlayStation Move, giving you the power to craft music in a unique new audio-visual experience. Your creations are broadcast live on PSN around the world to viewers who can stream (and cheer you on!) in real time.

You can look forward to seven songs and six visualizers with 38 variations, 10 events and over 190 different sounds to play with. PixelJunk 4am supports both in-game Twitter and Facebook connectivity, enabling you to promote your performances with personal messages and start to build your own persona and audience. You can also use 4am as a stand-alone visualizer (no Move required) and play your favorite music from your PS3.

For anyone still yet to see 4am in action, we’ve been playing with it lately in the office here and did some raw filming. Here’s a peek at what can be done with just one song & visualizer!

4am also supports two two Move controllers, meaning you can mix simultaneously with a friend live, or dual-wield by yourself like a pro. :) We took it up onto the roof in the rain last night. Phat bass filtering down into the streets below… :D

Watching players in the early access live beta, we’ve already been blown away by people’s creativity. Some of you have been uploading performances to YouTube in suits and masks or adding your own digital GUI overlays. And that was just with the one song the Beta offered! o.O I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with using the full release library!

So please, show us how it’s done. We’ve provided the platform, it’s up to you guys to stand on it. Surprise us and show us what you can come up with! We’ll be streaming wherever you are in the world.

+ DiamondRabbit on May 15th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

Its a real shame that this is destined to fail. During the beta I only managed to see 20 seconds of one performance, and I don’t have a move controller to make my own stuff.

Rowan Parker's Avatar

+ Rowan Parker on May 15th, 2012 at 5:35 pm said:

The Beta was super helpful for us, so thanks to everyone who participated! We were able to test our broadcasting systems against the PSN servers, and thanks to diligent bug reporting from our testers, fixed a variety of bugs. We even managed to add a few extra tweaks thanks to feedback! ^^b

Performing in the Beta was limited to a select group of PS+ members with a Move and only had 1 song + visualiser. These kinds of test-bed constraints made it easier for us to lock down and fix any bugs.

The Free Viewer available from today though has access to the FULL library of visualisers and songs! You’ll have no lack of event variety from today. :D

+ OneMoreVillain on May 15th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

I agree, just based on the way the beta went I can safely say I am not purchasing this.

+ PainOfSarrow on May 15th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

we… i guess its ok looking. kinda, sorta, umm maybe .

+ codeymac on May 15th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

yes i like music , & i have a move controller …also waffles are delicious.but…
i didn’t like the pixeljunk 4am beta i couldn’t find a performance.

Rowan Parker's Avatar

+ Rowan Parker on May 15th, 2012 at 6:06 pm said:

Perfect time to download the Free Viewer today and see what people are creating. :) It’s ALL available from today to stream, so you’ll see a lot more than what the limited Beta could have offered. Already starting to see lots of #PJ4amLIVE on Twitter from people performing. :D

+ PaperCarrier on May 15th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Looks interesting but the Beta didn’t really show me anything. It was unplayable.

+ PowerCorruption on May 15th, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

The beta was a total waste. I didn’t see a single performance the 4 times I booted it up.

+ DZORMAGEN on May 15th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

I hope we don’t need to wait till 4am to get the store to update ;)

+ PainOfSarrow on May 15th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

the store is updatting now :), i already see outlant for 6.99 now

+ Victoryismine52 on May 15th, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Yeah it’s sad that the Beta went so poorly this was on my list to buy but the beta actually made me less excited. finding a performance just went to rooms where nothing was happening and it didn’t seem to let me actually do anything with my move controllers. I’m still interested cause I think my kids would love this but will probably wait for a PS+ discount

+ Victoryismine52 on May 15th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Question does the visualizer allow you to play music on an external drive connected to your PS3? cause if it does this might have just jumped back up on my list to buy again.

+ QCVic on May 15th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

I didn’t see a single performance during the beta and I was actually excited over this game. I’m going to have to hold off.

+ plaidfluff on May 15th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Will there ever be a way for musicians to submit material to be remixed by 4am? I’m pretty excited about those possibilities.

+ fathead170 on May 15th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

alright its released now u can port pixeljunk monsters deluxe to vita and ps3. oh an make a pjm2 thanks.

+ CodeNameVii on May 15th, 2012 at 12:18 pm said:

The problem with the beta was that there were only a select amount of codes sent out for the single playable song. What everyone else downloaded was just the viewer. Should not let that reflect on what this actually is. Looks fantastic will be downloading as soon as the store is updated.

+ Austetris on May 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

This game is going to be amazing! Don’t listen to the naysayers, I had a great time performing in the beta. PixelJunk games are well made and for $10 this is a steal. This is a revolutionary music making interface. Now if only we could upload our own samples to use.

+ aro52 on May 15th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

“CodeNameVii: The problem with the beta was that there were only a select amount of codes sent out for the single playable song. What everyone else downloaded was just the viewer. …”

^^^ This. The Beta didn’t let you play; only listen. The people playing were a small collection of press people and friends of the devs. I expect there to be many more people playing starting this evening, so I wouldn’t worry about that. It may, however, take a few weeks to weed out the “good” DJs.

Rowan Parker's Avatar

+ Rowan Parker on May 15th, 2012 at 6:08 pm said:

I dunno.. some of the performers from the Beta are already pretty awesome. :D They were filming and posting performances on youtube! o.O

+ DwayneW1987 on May 15th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

Should have been watching me perform. PHAT BASS!!!

+ Subtenko on May 15th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

Thank goodness the store updated earlier today! Finally I get my hands on the full game at last. I love 4am

+ JohnnyBlue709 on May 15th, 2012 at 5:16 pm said:

I’m with poster #10, unless this can be use as a stand along visualizer to replace the crappy visualizer now on the PS3, I don’t get purpose of it. Sell Move controllers? What??

Rowan Parker's Avatar

+ Rowan Parker on May 15th, 2012 at 5:38 pm said:

Yes, 4am can be used as a stand-alone visualiser for your PS3 (no Move required). :)

If you’re into this kind of music though, you should borrow a Move off a friend and give it a try. You’ll be surprised. ^_-

+ Tondog on May 15th, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

This is an insanely neat “game”, but I hesitate to use that term to categorize it. It reminds me of Electroplankton, in that it’s more of a free form musical instrument wrapped in an easy to grasp mechanic. It’s definitely not for everyone, but there will be a lot of people who will love messing around and seeing what kind of sounds they can create. Kudos to Q Games and Sony for taking a risk on putting something this different out there.

+ SnaKE-EaTeR27 on May 15th, 2012 at 8:26 pm said:

Rowen, thank you and everybody at Q for making such a wonderful game. I can already tell I’m gonna be creating and experiencing others music with this great tool for a long time to come. It was a drag coming into work tonight, cant wait to get back home and crank out some beats.

+ WastelandDan on May 15th, 2012 at 10:43 pm said:

And here i thought Sorcery would be the first use of my Dusty Move controllers…lol no im not a fps

HUGE compliment btw…

+ Hooligantuan on May 16th, 2012 at 12:45 am said:

So how much is this screen saver going to be?

Rowan Parker's Avatar

+ Rowan Parker on May 16th, 2012 at 1:48 am said:

It’s free if you just want to use it as a screen saver. :) Go download the Free Viewer and let it cycle through random performers on the title screen for you.

Currently the Free Viewer is under “New PS3 Demos” in the PS Store. ^_-

+ loser4 on May 16th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Hey i was just wondering if you knew anything about how pixeljunk monsters deluxe was supposed to get vita support this week but didn’t?

+ plaztiksyke on May 16th, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

I attended the event in San Francisco, and my name was taken down to get a free code, but I haven’t gotten it yet. Happy to buy it, as I really liked the beta, but was expecting the code…

(short) custom samples and a tremolo effect would be cool. I’m surprised you didn’t take advantage of controller occlusion to get a few more “knobs” — that would be excellent.

+ FlashyAndy on May 18th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

I just can’t see buying this without having any way to try creating/playing. Watching a screen with music playing without any reference for how it’s being created means absolutely nothing. I thought this demo was going to be a chance to try out the create/play portion, not just an updated viewer. I think PJ really missed the mark on this release. Would you have bought PJ Eden if the demo just let you watch someone else play? I doubt it.