Far Cry 4

Smart As Brings Next-Gen Brain Training to PS Vita This Fall

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar + Posted by Nicolo Accordino on May 16, 2012 // Assistant Producer, ISD

Hello, PlayStation nation! As my first post on the PlayStation.Blog, it’s my pleasure to bring you news of a brand new mind-sharpening game for PS Vita: Smart As.

Launching this fall, Smart As is a social brain-training experience that will put your brain to the test with 20 unique, engaging, tactile and highly interactive puzzle games. This next-gen puzzle game will also enable you to share your stats with players from around the world using a robust set of social and connective features.

Produced by XDev Europe, Smart As takes full advantage of PS Vita’s touchscreens, cameras and Augmented Reality capabilities to deliver Daily Training challenges featuring fun arithmetic, logic, language and observation-based puzzles. Your scores from each puzzle are used to calculate your overall Brain Power and anybody at any skill level can get in on the fun. The more you play, the better your chances are of increasing your Brain Power score and unlocking new puzzle games.

The best part about Smart As is that it’s not just a brain training game; it’s a social experience. Once you’ve earned your daily Brain Power score, you can go online to see how smart you are compared to your friends, people that you’ve met through “near,” players in your city, country, continent and the entire world using the Smart As leaderboards. You can even post your Brain Power scores to Facebook to boast about your cerebral superiority. Using PS Vita’s “near” feature, you can also drop off puzzles for nearby users and pick up new challenges left by other players.

When you play Smart As on the go using PS Vita’s Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, you’ll have the opportunity to unlock even more challenges in different regions with the Street Smart mode. Simply by competing in as many regional challenges as you can, you will get to prove that you are smarter, more travelled and better connected than your friends.

Watch on the video above for an exclusive sneak peek at Smart As in action, and check back soon for more Smart As news.

PAGE 1 2

+ Bluejays20012 on May 16th, 2012 at 9:05 am said:

i hope this game is free first comment

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on May 16th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

will it be free like Paint Park? if not i would still get it..looks pretty cool!

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 9:09 am said:

Thanks for your support! This is a full-featured game with a lot of content! The team’s been well at work on it for a long time – hope you’re looking forward to hearing more soon!

+ luvtoseek on May 16th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

Hi Nicolo, thanks for the post. Sounds & looks very interesting- will there be a user editor where we can make our own puzzles/questions? Thanks!

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Please, call me Nick! Although there is no puzzle editor planned, there’s multiple difficulty levels for each of the 20 games found in Smart As, each specifically crafted to target a specific skill set and area of the brain. We’re sure you’ll find several that you just can’t get enough of!

+ DazeOfWar on May 16th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Looks interesting. I’ve always liked brain training games. I bet my wife would play it too.

+ Errol143 on May 16th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Hey Guys! Do you have an Update for the PlayStation Portable? New Firmware somehow :)

+ Ray21926 on May 16th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

oh man thats sexy!!! love games that test the brains… probably a stupid question but will the puzzles be randomly generated? … I’d drop about 10 bucks for this any more it might be too much… great post!

+ WolfDNC on May 16th, 2012 at 9:30 am said:

When is it coming out??!!! I want want want !!

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

Coming your way this fall – we’ll have more details in the future!

+ Errol143 on May 16th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

Hey Guys! What about the PlayStation Portable? Do you have any Updates for the PSP? New Firmware somehow :))

+ Erza_Scarlet on May 16th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Great news! I was just hoping for a game like this one for my PSVita, but this will be a PSN game? Retail game? or just an App?

Thx! Great work!

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

Thank you! The game will be both at retail and on PSN, day and date!

+ Errol143 on May 16th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Please response for my questions :)) Thanks! :)

+ TallCrowe on May 16th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

It looks cool. I did the menus.

+ TallCrowe on May 16th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

I mean I dig the menus.

+ Craazy on May 16th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

This looks cool……I like keeping the ol’ memory bank sharp…….no pricing as of yet I assume?

+ Errol143 on May 16th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

I’m from the Philippines :))

+ papolatte on May 16th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

I’m not a big puzzle gamer, but I will definitely get this game, if the price falls no higher than $20.00.

Looks pretty interesting and rather fun. I commute so I can see myself easily killing that bus time with this game. Keep up the good work!

+ Erza_Scarlet on May 16th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

Great =)… So if this game is a retail/psn one it will have trophies, right? Double fun n_n… And even a platinum =P.

Thx for your answer =).

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

No problem! And yes, plenty of trophies to reward our brain-strengthening players out there!

+ polo155 on May 16th, 2012 at 10:00 am said:

i love brain-training games. thanks for making this for vita and glad its available as Hard-Copy & PSN. keep up the great work Nick and the Team, can’t wait! the Vita is an awesome machine.

im posting from it now! 3G/wi-fi baby 32gb card and extended accidental warranty via PSN! ¦)

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Glad to hear it – we think you’ll love it!

+ mcbuttz78 on May 16th, 2012 at 10:00 am said:

Welcome to the family nick .. :)

Mcbuttz78
vp=psn legioniarre group

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Thanks very much! I’ll send you a friend request!

+ dimy93 on May 16th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

It was supposed to be released months ago now I see this fall-what took U so long guys?
Nevertheless I see great improvement from the tech demo-as if the game have been recreated since then

+ krae_man on May 16th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

I think your game name is missing a s…

+ loveordie04 on May 16th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

I like this a lot, It looks beautiful and enjoyable, I cant wait to play. Great job guys.

+ devilmosh on May 16th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

LOL @ 21, you beat me to it.

I’m glad this is coming to PSN. I’m really looking forward to it!

+ nathan37692 on May 16th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

i know its not the right post but when i go to midway 3 when i play a game it freezes up and it messes up on my tickets ive lost 10 tickets by it freezing if you can fix midway 3 also when it does freeze i have to cut ps3 off and it goes to file restore it does it everytime please help and fix the problem

+ massimodo on May 16th, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

What’s unique and engaging about filling in a letter. C A _ ? Can you fill in the letter? 2, is it greater than 1? What is this determining anyway, that you’re smart as a tree stump?

+ M-Easy on May 16th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:

This looks great. I love this brain training genre. But just for my piece of mind please tell me third studio had nothing to do with the game “Brain Challenge” in the PSN store.

+ jmac1979 on May 16th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

Will be getting this on day one! Keep up the good work.

+ Erza_Scarlet on May 16th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

@25: If you see the video you should know that he was playing on easy difficulty, on hard the trials won’t be that easy, and if you have played this type of games you know that it’s not just knowing the answer, it’s doing it fast without failing, and when you are playing it on hard and you receive 10 normal question to resolve in 5 seconds you will know that indeed you’re as smart as a tree stump.

+ JKar275 on May 16th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

I’m very much looking forward to this game, Nick. Thank you very much for showing it to us!!!!!

Will a demo be available?

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 11:15 pm said:

My pleasure. No word on a demo yet, but we’ll do our best!

+ DaMann22 on May 16th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Im looking forward to this also. Ive been looking for new vita games exclusive to the platform. Thanks for showing.

+ TMAZT3R on May 16th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Sweet, any new content I am glad seeing on the vita.

+ TMAZT3R on May 16th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Just saw the video, the in game textures and materials look very clean and shinny!!!

+ massimodo on May 16th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

+ Erza_Scarlet on May 16th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

Gee, thanks Captain Obvious. still doesn’t answer my question, what’s unique and engaging I’ve played brainage on the DS and the games there weren’t this simplistic. What’s the deal with sony, anyway, run out of ideas, so lets just copy everything Nintendo does?

+ Kchow23 on May 16th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

Looks very interesting but I hope that it won’t be too expensive… looks a bit simplistic.

+ Hokage_45678 on May 16th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

This application looks really cool!

My question is will there be different difficulty levels for different sets of players? The reason I ask is because I am going to University and want something challenging that can push my brain and make me a better learner :)

+ polo155 on May 16th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

@nathan37692: make sure your net connection is fast enough, 5mbps isnt going to cut it, specially if you are using wireless… make sure its plugged into a eithernet port or direct to modem but if conn is weak and with sooo many ppl playing you have issues.

+ Erza_Scarlet on May 16th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

@33: lol, now I see, you’re just a Ninty troll fanboy. Well, no need to answer you anymore.

+ Moshbag on May 16th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

In the Less Equals More game, at one point you say that 1 > 75%. How can you compare an integer to a percentage? 75% of what? You should at least be encouraging mathematical accuracy.

+ tusunami on May 16th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

This is definitely what is needed on the Ps vita, a educational game that’s fun & you can interact with your friends is cool!!!!!!!!!!

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 16th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

Hmmm looks interesting. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

+ nampad on May 16th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

If the european version is multilingual, please add an option to select the language ingame.
A lot of people change their system language to have the original english synchronization in games, but would prefer to play these word puzzles in their native language for better scores
Having to change the system language all the time for just one game can be stressful.

+ D-Squad3 on May 16th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

Don’t let japan win! lol jk

But hopefully this game will do well and I hope you guys also make a game similar to Wario Ware but for the Vita.

+ Montpelier on May 16th, 2012 at 2:12 pm said:

Exclamation marks! Make it quite difficult! To tell if you’re extremely enthusiastic about everything! Or just being insincere!

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar

+ Nicolo Accordino on May 16th, 2012 at 11:16 pm said:

Oh, I see. Well I was being quite sincere. Hope you enjoy it. (!)

+ vanwinkle on May 16th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

It’s interesting that Little Deviants and now this game have touted something along the lines of “We’re utilizing every feature of the Vita,” while completely neglecting it’s main competitive advantage over other mobile devices: buttons and analog sticks!

Nevertheless, this game looks great. The only problem is that, in today’s market, you can’t get away with making a game like this at $30 to $40 succeed. Brain Training for DS came out at an ideal time, but I guarantee that if it had come in today, it would have sold a tiny fraction of the copies it did back several years ago. I don’t think that smartphones and tablet have completely changed the playing field in every regard, but in games like this, they certainly have.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that this looks like a $.99 game. It clearly has better production values than that. At the same time, I don’t think that it looks remotely like the kind of game that will succeed at 30-40 dollars in today’s mobile landscape. I would love to get this game, but 1.)It’s too expensive, and 2.)It doesn’t differentiate itself enough from games that can be and are done on smartphones and tablets.

+ Smert_ on May 16th, 2012 at 2:43 pm said:

I love to see the gameplay take advantage of the Vita hardware. I was instantly interested when my “smart as” score could be compared against my friends and people in my community- I just think that’s so cool and foresee that being so addictive

+ FORMIK on May 16th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

This looks like an excellent addition to the games available on the Vita. I wonder how the challenges will be presented to friends? Is it just an overall score, or is it broken down by type? Game? Are there in-game challenge notifications?

+ Cross-Legacy on May 16th, 2012 at 3:22 pm said:

Looks really good, i’ll definitely put this on my watch list. Keep up the good work.

+ alpha747 on May 16th, 2012 at 3:32 pm said:

Smart As looks like a very vibrant and eye popping game
that can have a lot of potential but then again i’ll only buy it
if it has a low price not over 20$

+ AgentX on May 16th, 2012 at 3:41 pm said:

This looks good. I had heard the name of the game mentioned a while back, and it’s good to finally see some footage to match up to that name. While there are already other brain training games out on other platforms, it’s great to see one finally being made for the Vita.

Vanwinkle (#43) has some valid points, particularly regarding the marketability of games like this. I think one reason Brain Age succeeded was that it was released at a “value” price of around $20. I think Sony should consider targeting a similar price point for Smart As.

The point about smartphones and tablets is also a good one. Hopefully the game will make use of its PSN connectivity and social features to do something that stands above the typical smartphone fare.

+ loveordie04 on May 16th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

Everyday I see beautiful platformers coming to IOS, PSN I get a little more discouraged as a Vita owner. Sucks knowing you wont be getting games that are fairly simple and enjoyable weekly. Shooters are not the only games I want to play on the Vita. I just want some decent Platformers and IOS has them all, Come on Sony can I get a better experience on an android phone than on my Vita. Appeal to all gamers not just a few.

PAGE 1 2